Page 16 of 19 [ 291 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2021, 8:57 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
This isn't the first time you've tried to claim that recognizing that bigotry exists somehow makes the targets of that bigotry helpless.

Yes bigotry exists. It has since humanity has existed. That doesn't make anyone a racists just because You say so. It also doesn't make America a racist country.

It's got nothing to do with me and everything to do with if they fit the definition.

Ignoring America's history doesn't make it go away.

It isn't ignoring it. Accept it and move on. You can't change the past but you can decide what kind of person You are. The only person you can change is you. The Wokier than thou types think they can bully people into being who they want them to be. These are the real racists.

No one's trying to change the past, that's a dishonest distraction. Conservatives often try to ignore the worst parts of history and then complain that discussing history beyond the politically correct official version is somehow trying to change history. No, the goal is just to discuss history accurately.

The difference between “Wokes” and Conservative and Right Wing Cancel Culture Warriors is what part of history they choose to emphasize, and what they choose to ignore. The “wokes” define historical figures and events solely by their racism or more accurately by the expanded “woke” definition of racism and mostly ignore benefits accrued from these historical figures and events. This is a radical break from the past where racism was at best explained away as a product of the times or ignored all together.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

slam_thunderhide
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 May 2021, 4:00 pm

Mr Reynholm wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
So What is your take on Tim Scott?

I'm not sure I have one.

Is he supposed to be proof that racism isn't an issue among the populist right base? I don't believe the existence of right-leaning people who don't hold those biases disproves the idea that many do; likewise the existence of PoC who hold right-leaning views doesn't prove that racism isn't an issue on the right.

Do Milo and Dave Rubin prove homophobia isn't an issue on the right?

Homophobia is a fake made up term. Disapproval does not equal a "Phobia".
I could just as easily call Feminists "Androphobic"
Demonizing and gas lighting those who disagree with you only serves to curtail dialog and debate.
Likewise saying that white persons who don't engage in self hatred are "White Supremacists" is equally unseemly.

Exactly. I wonder if funeralxempire stop to reflect on how many of his opinions are actually shaped by the loaded language that he uses to describe the world.

I mean, the word homophobia didn’t even exist before about 1969. So what does it mean in an objective sense when funeralxempire says homophobia is an issue on the right? It really just means that he has an issue with the way some people on the right view homosexuality.

slam_thunderhide
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 May 2021, 4:00 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Mikah wrote:
The evidence for the existence of.....maybe high caste Indian privilege.

WTH is high caste Indian privilege in America??

Haven't you heard, Brahmans run America; not WASPs. :lol:

Funeralxempire, if you think America is still run by “WASPs”, you’re at least 50 years out of date.

slam_thunderhide
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 May 2021, 4:01 pm

Mikah wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Jiheisho is wisely avoiding specific examples. Often, when you focus on a specific aspect of society that privilege is supposed to affect, e.g. educational attainment/opportunities or lifetime income etc. you will find that Whites are doing better than Blacks. But you also find that there are usually 1-3 groups mysteriously doing better than Whites... in White countries. This is quite difficult to explain for someone who proffers the privilege theory. I jokingly suggest that it must also be privilege and whites are therefore victims of systemic racism.

cyberdad wrote:
Mikah wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
But you also find that there are usually 1-3 groups mysteriously doing better than Whites... in White countries. This is quite difficult to explain for someone who proffers the privilege theory. I jokingly suggest that it must also be privilege and whites are therefore victims of systemic racism.

Actually the vast majority of migrants from east and south Asia are highly educated professionals who are motivated to work 2-3 jobs make massive sacrifices so their children can get an education and compete with the local whites.

They have a saying, for every step you or I take they will take 10 to keep up with us.

Mikah wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
highly educated professionals who are motivated to work 2-3 jobs make massive sacrifices so their children can get an education

That's privilege. I'm not screwing with you, this is really what is said. Intact families and "different cultural attitudes" towards work and education is "white privilege" when whites do it. It's "superiority" when non-Whites do it.

Agreed Mikah, that is exactly the sort of nonsense claim that is made by many people who drone on about “white privilege”. I wouldn’t be surprised if cyberdad has made this explicit claim several times on WP already, or if he makes it sometime soon; it’s pretty much implied by some the stuff he comes out with.

Anyway, on the subject of “high caste Indian privilege”, readers might like to check out the following study of average salaries in America by religion: https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2 ... us-groups/ Hindus are there at the top alongside Jews and above Episcopalians.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2021, 7:57 pm

slam_thunderhide wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Mikah wrote:

Funeralxempire, if you think America is still run by “WASPs”, you’re at least 50 years out of date.

In America they are called WPs

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2021, 8:00 pm

slam_thunderhide wrote:
Anyway, on the subject of “high caste Indian privilege”, readers might like to check out the following study of average salaries in America by religion: https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2 ... us-groups/ Hindus are there at the top alongside Jews and above Episcopalians.

Hindus in the dataset you are parading includes a mix of caste groups,

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2021, 8:04 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
The difference between “Wokes” and Conservative and Right Wing Cancel Culture Warriors is what part of history they choose to emphasize, and what they choose to ignore. The “wokes” define historical figures and events solely by their racism or more accurately by the expanded “woke” definition of racism and mostly ignore benefits accrued from these historical figures and events. This is a radical break from the past where racism was at best explained away as a product of the times or ignored all together.

This is perhaps the biggest myth promulgated by the right. There is a simple distinction between recognising/acknowledging the contribution of historic figures without worshipping or deifying them.

We have two things i) history books to document actions of historical figures and ii) museums to display their faces/statues

The right wing want to parade and deify racist slave owners/holders and pedophile presidents who raped children they can do that in the comfort of their homes rather than stick in the faces of people who are the descendants of their victims.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2021, 8:14 pm

slam_thunderhide wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Mikah wrote:

It's obviously an over-simplification, would you feel better if I said 'white Christians'?

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2021, 8:17 pm

slam_thunderhide wrote:
Exactly. I wonder if funeralxempire stop to reflect on how many of his opinions are actually shaped by the loaded language that he uses to describe the world.

I mean, the word homophobia didn’t even exist before about 1969. So what does it mean in an objective sense when funeralxempire says homophobia is an issue on the right? It really just means that he has an issue with the way some people on the right view homosexuality.

Does that mean homophobic attitudes didn't exist before the word to describe them was coined? The word was coined to describe an observed attitude, obviously the attitude had to exist in order to be observed and described.

It seems like you're trying to pretend that an inability to articulate a problem is the same as the problem not existing.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2021, 8:35 pm

cyberdad wrote:

Due to the nature of the caste system in India, particularly regarding educational opportunities, Indian immigration to America is and has always been overwhelmingly dominated by the higher castes. I originally said high caste Indian privilege because I was aware of several incidents and a court case in Silicon Valley involving discrimination against low caste Indians by the higher castes in America. Seemed slightly off to lump them in and just call it "Indian privilege" or "Hindu privilege".

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2021, 9:35 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
It's obviously an over-simplification, would you feel better if I said 'white Christians'?

The irony being that most of them are the complete opposite of what it means to be "like Christ".

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2021, 2:03 am

Mikah wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Due to the nature of the caste system in India, particularly regarding educational opportunities, Indian immigration to America is and has always been overwhelmingly dominated by the higher castes. I originally said high caste Indian privilege because I was aware of several incidents and a court case in Silicon Valley involving discrimination against low caste Indians by the higher castes in America. Seemed slightly off to lump them in and just call it "Indian privilege" or "Hindu privilege".

99% of what you are referring to pertains to north Indians who consider themselves "Aryans", There are millions of hindus living in western countries from southern India, Sri Lanka, Fiji, Malaysia, Caribbean and Mauritius who don't follow this type of crap and don't discriminate based on caste. South Indians and Sri Lankans are also the most successful in terms of education and income so that kind of turns the "high caste:" claim on its nose.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2021, 2:16 am

cyberdad wrote:
Mikah wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

99% of what you are referring to pertains to north Indians who consider themselves "Aryans", There are millions of hindus living in western countries from southern India, Sri Lanka, Fiji, Malaysia, Caribbean and Mauritius who don't follow this type of crap and don't discriminate based on caste. South Indians and Sri Lankans are also the most successful in terms of education and income so that kind of turns the "high caste:" claim on its nose.

Among people from Northern India, the Sikh religion rejects the caste system as well.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2021, 2:24 am

Shouldn't world nations impose sanctions (or at least sanctions on the ruling class) on India till it dissolves this disgusting caste system for good?

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2021, 7:06 am

cyberdad wrote:

That's very interesting. But what does that say about their privilege? Who's behind the racist conspiracy that keeps them at the top?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2021, 7:15 am

I might have believed that(that america is not a racist country) when I was 12...

and I was still embracing the 'all muslims are terrorists mindset' that was popular back than after 9/11, and well that was kinda .....racist.