Page 7 of 19 [ 291 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 19  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2021, 4:45 pm

I truly believe that at least part of "critical race theory" is erroneous.

Some of it is true----but in some aspects, they go really overboard.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2021, 4:50 pm

Mr Reynholm wrote:
Mostly its to impose power on others. Thats why the definition has to be twisted like a pretzel in order to fit anyone.

That's a fair description of most of the arguments against CRT. They all oppose it but can't even define it.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2021, 5:03 pm

I am acutely aware of how nonwhite people were discriminated against in the past, and much much more.

I am acutely aware that some of this discrimination even exists today.

Saying this, I don't believe I bear an onus, a personal responsibility, for what occurred in the past, and what occurs in the present, merely by virtue of being white.

I am a person much more than I'm a "white person."

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2021, 7:30 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
Mostly its to impose power on others. Thats why the definition has to be twisted like a pretzel in order to fit anyone.

That's a fair description of most of the arguments against CRT. They all oppose it but can't even define it.

My understanding is that the parents associations campaigning against CRT are banking on the claim it will i) distract their students from (what they define as) "real" education linked to literacy/numeracy/skills based education and ii) It will cause mental health problems for young children.

The first point is erroneous because CRT is merely embedded in the history curriculum and history is a compulsory subject in primary and secondary school.

The second point needs to be better articulated. 99% of the parents are just parroting stuff that their local chapter of the KKK have been saying for years that teaching white privilege is wrong. What the educations boards could do is delay embedding CRT till highschool when the students are cognitively mature enough to understand the content.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2021, 7:55 pm

I wish the KKK would be blown to smithereens.

I don't believe white people are necessarily the recipients of "white privilege." I find "white privilege" to be an academic term.

The only time I feel "privileged" is when I can use a bathroom in a restaurant. I find this is frequently denied to nonwhite folks.

In my neighborhood, I am in the "minority."

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2021, 9:09 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

I don't believe white people are necessarily the recipients of "white privilege." I find "white privilege" to be an academic term.

The only time I feel "privileged" is when I can use a bathroom in a restaurant. I find this is frequently denied to nonwhite folks.

White privilege is kind of like a sleeping power that is invoked or activated in certain circumstances. The classic one is where a white employer has two applicants with nearly exactly the same qualifications but one is white, they will (in all probability) choose the white applicant.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2021, 9:37 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

You're right, it is an academic term. I'm not sure why you mention that though, are you suggesting that somehow discredits the idea?

People who are perceived as white are the recipients of the privileges that come with being perceived that way. That's inherent to the definition. We both know that there's additional struggles that POC are likely to face that white people are typically spared. That's what white privilege means and you know it exists.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2021, 9:39 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

"White privilege" is a statistical term. You may not see the subtle ways that you benefit from being white. However, you have other factors in your life, socioeconomic background, gender, age, disability, environment, etc, that bias that for better or worse.

This is not a personal thing. It is systemic. I do not feel guilty or ashamed of my race/ethnicity, gender, or anything else. But I like to understand how those thing in aggregate influences the world around us. I also see it in my interactions. My wife, who is not white, is treated differently. And that treatment also changes when I am present.

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2021, 9:43 pm

Not sure anyone from Tulsa, OK, should be starting a thread claiming the US is not a racist country.

But then again, it does kind of prove Americans don't get irony.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2021, 9:46 pm

Jiheisho wrote:
Not sure anyone from Tulsa, OK, should be starting a thread claiming the US is not a racist country.

But then again, it does kind of prove Americans don't get irony.

First rule of Tulsa Club is you don't discuss Black Wall St. 8)

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Redd_Kross
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2021, 9:54 pm

I'd still like to know what the Canal and Rivers Trust have got to do with it.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2021, 10:01 pm

Redd_Kross wrote:

?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2021, 10:24 pm

Academics have the tendency to reside in the Ivory Tower, and might have little knowledge of what goes on in “real life.”

I’ve been the recipient of profiling—for looking poor and ragged. Obviously, black folks have been the victim of this many times over.

But me, personally, have derived little benefit—overt or subtle—from being white. All my supervisors at work have been nonwhite.

It would be of benefit if we shoot for a non-racial mindset.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2021, 10:57 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
It would be of benefit if we shoot for a non-racial mindset.

I think that's the purpose of CRT in the education system

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2021, 11:46 pm

Redd_Kross wrote:

Cathode Ray Tube =)

browneyedgirlslowingdown
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 May 2021, 1:20 am

This was an interesting and kind of disgusting thread. Disgusting because of the seriousness of the claim and limited educational discussion of anything.

Anyone can be racist, and it can even be internalized.

White privilege is afforded by the eye of the beholder that decides whiteness has more value than other identities...this beholder can be of any background.

This country, the world itself is founded on white supremacy. Every place aspires to whiteness. Light skin, blonde hair, blue eyes. Whiteness equals power, domination, and control almost everywhere on the planet. Just check beauty standards.

Also, ask any immigrant that comes here what they think of black people, even the one's from African countries like Nigeria, Ghana, etc and watch white supremacists ideals unfold.

This country is racist, and it's perpetuated this illness along with all western countries across the planet. Being black or brown most places is considered being if less value.

American , apple pie, white, and God. everyone knows that.

Also, America...this includes all the countries in North, Central, and South America and yes they are all racist too..

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 50 of 200
You are very likely on the broader autism cluster (Aspie)
Systemising Quotient (SQ) 78
Empathy Quotient (EQ) 41
CAT-Q 156 Compensation 56 Masking 48 Assimilation 52