Veteran

12 May 2021, 4:12 am

cyberdad wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
vividgroovy wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Critical Race Theory and the ‘Hyper-White’ Jew
Quote:
...In the critical social justice paradigm, that is how Jews are viewed. Jews, who have never been seen as white by those for whom being white is a moral good, are now seen as white by those for whom whiteness is an unmitigated evil. This reflects the nature of antisemitism: No matter the grievance or the identity of the aggrieved, Jews are held responsible. Critical race theory does not merely make it easy to demonize Jews using the language of social justice; it makes it difficult not to...

...Bolding=mine

The article discusses a number of topics that I know little about, such as the current college experience and the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. If it isn't already obvious, I tend to view most things through the lens of my special interest, Arts and Entertainment. (That's my bias.)

However, this brings up a trend I saw in the online Broadway fan community: critics of the musical "Rent" harboring a passionate hatred of the character Mark Cohen as a symbol of White Privilege, because he was raised in the suburbs and then "chose to be poor." In their view, this character is not merely a bad person, but one of the worst people ever in the history of fictional characters. He is usually placed in contrast to a homeless PoC character who did not "choose to be poor," despite the fact that nothing about her backstory is ever stated in the text of the play. One person went so far as to say that Mark must always be cast with a white actor in every production because his "white savior complex" is so central to his character.

Mark is Jewish and this almost never comes up these discussion. His creator, Jonathan Larson, was also a suburban-raised Jewish man who moved to New York and "chose to be poor" in pursuit of his theatrical career.

Not a thing wrong with embracing a life in the arts - - that is, dirt poor as long as you can make art.

A true artist or academic is not driven by money :wink:

Indeed! That's my life as a writer, today.

vividgroovy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 May 2021, 4:20 am

cyberdad wrote:
vividgroovy wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Not a thing wrong with embracing a life in the arts - - that is, dirt poor as long as you can make art.

cyberdad wrote:

This is why I found it baffling that a "starving artist"-type character should be so reviled on a discussion group for fans of the performing arts.

Which one?

Is the question which group? It was a facebook group called All Things Broadway. Politics came up frequently on there.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2021, 4:51 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
vividgroovy wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Quote:
...In the critical social justice paradigm, that is how Jews are viewed. Jews, who have never been seen as white by those for whom being white is a moral good, are now seen as white by those for whom whiteness is an unmitigated evil. This reflects the nature of antisemitism: No matter the grievance or the identity of the aggrieved, Jews are held responsible. Critical race theory does not merely make it easy to demonize Jews using the language of social justice; it makes it difficult not to...

...Bolding=mine

The article discusses a number of topics that I know little about, such as the current college experience and the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. If it isn't already obvious, I tend to view most things through the lens of my special interest, Arts and Entertainment. (That's my bias.)

However, this brings up a trend I saw in the online Broadway fan community: critics of the musical "Rent" harboring a passionate hatred of the character Mark Cohen as a symbol of White Privilege, because he was raised in the suburbs and then "chose to be poor." In their view, this character is not merely a bad person, but one of the worst people ever in the history of fictional characters. He is usually placed in contrast to a homeless PoC character who did not "choose to be poor," despite the fact that nothing about her backstory is ever stated in the text of the play. One person went so far as to say that Mark must always be cast with a white actor in every production because his "white savior complex" is so central to his character.

Mark is Jewish and this almost never comes up these discussion. His creator, Jonathan Larson, was also a suburban-raised Jewish man who moved to New York and "chose to be poor" in pursuit of his theatrical career.

Science fiction/fantasy right? our interests overlap

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2021, 4:52 am

vividgroovy wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
vividgroovy wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

cyberdad wrote:

This is why I found it baffling that a "starving artist"-type character should be so reviled on a discussion group for fans of the performing arts.

Which one?

Is the question which group? It was a facebook group called All Things Broadway. Politics came up frequently on there.

So performing artists? yeah I can see how many of them have to survive any way they can to get a gig on Broadway

vividgroovy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 May 2021, 7:37 am

cyberdad wrote:
So performing artists? yeah I can see how many of them have to survive any way they can to get a gig on Broadway

Most of the criticism of Mark came from the idea that he was "privileged" and "entitled," however, one time somebody called him a "looter" (in the Ayn Rand sense of the word) because he and his roommate lived rent free...with their landlord's permission. This person explained to me that it didn't matter if the landlord agreed to it, anyone who didn't pay rent was a "looter." It was curious to me that what united these people who subscribed to disparate political philosophies was, for some reason, a hatred of fictional poor artists.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2021, 3:18 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
vividgroovy wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Quote:

...Bolding=mine

Horror for the most part.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2021, 4:27 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
vividgroovy wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Quote:

...Bolding=mine

So did you end up watching the entire series of Lovecraft Country?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2021, 4:30 pm

vividgroovy wrote:
anyone who didn't pay rent was a "looter." It was curious to me that what united these people who subscribed to disparate political philosophies was, for some reason, a hatred of fictional poor artists.

I think there's a general consensus that not being able to pay rent is a civil offence, I made the mistake of sharing rent with my brother once, He bounced leaving my with a an awfully large bill.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2021, 5:16 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
vividgroovy wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Quote:

...Bolding=mine

So did you end up watching the entire series of Lovecraft Country?

I certainly did. I liked it quite a bit.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2021, 6:44 pm

Cool! I don't normally watch horror genre but the suspense was great!

The last horror film my wife and I watched was "Jeepers creepers" and it was a flop :lol:

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2021, 7:17 pm

cyberdad wrote:

The last horror film my wife and I watched was "Jeepers creepers" and it was a flop :lol:

I'd suggest watching stuff like The Shining, The Thing, Re-Animator, The Hitcher (original), Nosferatu, The Cabinet Of Dr. Caligari, and From Beyond just to name a few.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2021, 7:43 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

I'd suggest watching stuff like The Shining, The Thing, Re-Animator, The Hitcher (original), Nosferatu, The Cabinet Of Dr. Caligari, and From Beyond just to name a few.

I'll take a look :)

DianeQ
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 May 2021, 8:04 pm

Aren't people tired of being victims?
This is ridiculous, are we changing our history for popularity?
There is NO PROOF that the colonization of this country was founded ON SLAVERY.
Did SOME people use the new country as an opportunity to TAKE ADVANTAGE, yes.
But don't we know that already?
This whole 1619 thing just baffles......
Almost as much as the "zee" "zay" "wtf" does it all mean? LOL!

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2021, 8:07 pm

DianeQ wrote:

Denying reality won't alter it. :lol:

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2021, 9:25 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
DianeQ wrote:

Denying reality won't alter it. :lol:

A former conservative prime minister in Australia coined the term "black armband view of history" which equates to not having to make our (white)i kids not proud to be Australians by ignoring all the "bad stuff:" (e.g. genocide and slavery) and focusing on all the jingoistic and nationalist stuff that makes one proud of their country,

Putting on blinkers basically,.

vividgroovy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 May 2021, 5:29 am

cyberdad wrote:
vividgroovy wrote:
anyone who didn't pay rent was a "looter." It was curious to me that what united these people who subscribed to disparate political philosophies was, for some reason, a hatred of fictional poor artists.

I think there's a general consensus that not being able to pay rent is a civil offence, I made the mistake of sharing rent with my brother once, He bounced leaving my with a an awfully large bill.

In that case, it sounds like he's the one who broke the agreement. In "Rent," the landlord breaks the verbal agreement he made to let them stay there rent free and claims they now owe him back rent, but only to manipulate them into a stopping a protest by Mark's ex-girlfriend.

Getting back to the topic: Benny, the landlord, is usually cast with a black actor, so another thing people complain about is that the show depicts the white characters as poor and the black guy as their landlord. This is not how things usually are, these people say. However, there have been black property owners and poor white people for quite some time, so it's not outside the realm of possibility. Certainly, the show isn't trying to say that all landlords are black. Indeed, if Mark and Roger were depicted as poor black artists and Benny was the white guy who helped them out by letting them stay there for free, it would probably be condemned as promoting the "white savior complex." Likewise, people also complain about a similar situation in the movie "La La Land," where the lead is a poor white jazz musician whose more successful black friend gives him a job. "It's historically inaccurate!" people say of this fictitious musical set in the present.