Trump shouldn't have had his twitter suspended, thats unfair

Page 1 of 5 [ 70 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

salad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Jul 2011
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,140

17 May 2021, 8:26 am

Ok so I was bored today and to kill time I thought "hey, why not I entertain myself by checking Donald Trump's twitter?"

Until I found out thats not possible because its suspended. Shoot, I thought, surely he had to have done something truly awful to get his twitter suspended.

Then I found out his reason for getting his twitter suspended:

Quote:
After close review of recent Tweets from the @realDonaldTrump account and the context around them — specifically how they are being received and interpreted on and off Twitter — we have permanently suspended the account due to the risk of further incitement of violence.
In the context of horrific events this week, we made it clear on Wednesday that additional violations of the Twitter Rules would potentially result in this very course of action. Our public interest framework exists to enable the public to hear from elected officials and world leaders directly. It is built on a principle that the people have a right to hold power to account in the open.
However, we made it clear going back years that these accounts are not above our rules entirely and cannot use Twitter to incite violence, among other things. We will continue to be transparent around our policies and their enforcement.
The below is a comprehensive analysis of our policy enforcement approach in this case.
Overview
On January 8, 2021, President Donald J. Trump Tweeted:
“The 75,000,000 great American Patriots who voted for me, AMERICA FIRST, and MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN, will have a GIANT VOICE long into the future. They will not be disrespected or treated unfairly in any way, shape or form!! !”
Shortly thereafter, the President Tweeted:
“To all of those who have asked, I will not be going to the Inauguration on January 20th.”
Due to the ongoing tensions in the United States, and an uptick in the global conversation in regards to the people who violently stormed the Capitol on January 6, 2021, these two Tweets must be read in the context of broader events in the country and the ways in which the President’s statements can be mobilized by different audiences, including to incite violence, as well as in the context of the pattern of behavior from this account in recent weeks. After assessing the language in these Tweets against our Glorification of Violence policy, we have determined that these Tweets are in violation of the Glorification of Violence Policy and the user @realDonaldTrump should be immediately permanently suspended from the service.
Assessment
We assessed the two Tweets referenced above under our Glorification of Violence policy, which aims to prevent the glorification of violence that could inspire others to replicate violent acts and determined that they were highly likely to encourage and inspire people to replicate the criminal acts that took place at the U.S. Capitol on January 6, 2021.
This determination is based on a number of factors, including:
President Trump’s statement that he will not be attending the Inauguration is being received by a number of his supporters as further confirmation that the election was not legitimate and is seen as him disavowing his previous claim made via two Tweets (1, 2) by his Deputy Chief of Staff, Dan Scavino, that there would be an “orderly transition” on January 20th.
The second Tweet may also serve as encouragement to those potentially considering violent acts that the Inauguration would be a “safe” target, as he will not be attending.
The use of the words “American Patriots” to describe some of his supporters is also being interpreted as support for those committing violent acts at the US Capitol.
The mention of his supporters having a “GIANT VOICE long into the future” and that “They will not be disrespected or treated unfairly in any way, shape or form!! !” is being interpreted as further indication that President Trump does not plan to facilitate an “orderly transition” and instead that he plans to continue to support, empower, and shield those who believe he won the election.
Plans for future armed protests have already begun proliferating on and off-Twitter, including a proposed secondary attack on the US Capitol and state capitol buildings on January 17, 2021.
As such, our determination is that the two Tweets above are likely to inspire others to replicate the violent acts that took place on January 6, 2021, and that there are multiple indicators that they are being received and understood as encouragement to do so.


https://blog.twitter.com/en_us/topics/c ... nsion.html

Im sorry thats utter nonsense!! ! Trump didnt support or endorse any insurrectionist activity on his twitter. Being a sore loser =/= inciting insurrection just because a handful of crazy followers supposedly stormed a capitol building. I read both tweets and this seems very politically motivated.

Im ashamed of how many Americans are ok with this. I think Trump is a prick more than the next guy is, but to permanently suspend the twitter of a sitting president on pretenses of inciting terrorism that amounts to taking 2 tweets and uncharitably stretching them way past the semantic bounds of what they meant, its completely politically motivated and setting a bad precedent for censorship and silencing opposing views.


_________________
"One often meets his destiny on the road he takes to avoid it."

Master Oogway


funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Age: 36
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 12,554
Location: I'm right here

17 May 2021, 9:16 am

He repeatedly violated their ToS, no other user would have gotten away with the repeated violations.
Seems pretty fair to me.


_________________
politics is dumb but very important
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う


Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 64
Gender: Male
Posts: 49,593
Location: Stendec

17 May 2021, 10:50 am

How interesting.  However, I have found many valid reasons for suspending Mr. Trump's on-line accounts:

 Link to Official List of Trump's Atrocities 

After reading through the entire list, the only possible conclusion a sane and reasoning adult could arrive at is that it would be "fair" for all concerned (e.g., the rest of humanity) if every on-line social platform would automatically block every attempt by Mr. Trump to open an account with them.

The needs of the many, after all, really do outweigh the needs of the few ... or the one.

Especially when that "one" is a bigoted, bloviated narcissist with delusions of grandeur and more dollars than sense.


_________________
 Link to Official List of Trump's Atrocities 

45OFFICE = TRE45ON
Lock Him Up!


Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Feb 2019
Age: 54
Gender: Male
Posts: 902
Location: Tulsa, OK

17 May 2021, 11:59 am

I never want the people with whom I disagree to be silenced.



HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 May 2020
Age: 19
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 4,809
Location: Pacific Northwest

17 May 2021, 12:13 pm

It's pretty fair to be banned from a private companies website because you broke their TOS. No one's been "silenced" because they can't use Twitter anymore. lmao


_________________
I like playing video games, watching cartoons and anime, reading, and cooking.

I have two cats, a rabbit, and a dog. I also enjoy learning + cataloguing information about different types of animals and plants.


Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 64
Gender: Male
Posts: 49,593
Location: Stendec

17 May 2021, 12:14 pm

Mr Reynholm wrote:
I never want the people with whom I disagree to be silenced.
Same here.

It is the megalomaniacal liars, the bigots, and the self-aggrandizing narcissists who should all be effectively "silenced".

This does not mean literal silence, but a permanent ban on access to public fora -- they can still speak, but only to a few people at a time.

When someone drives irresponsibly, their privilege to drive is taken away, but they can still travel.

When someone uses a firearm irresponsibly, their right to bear arms is taken away, but they can still use knives, clubs, and their bare fists.

When someone acts irresponsibly, their right to liberty is taken away, but they can still act.

So if someone speaks irresponsibly, their privilege to access social forums (especially privately-owned fora) is taken away, but they can still talk -- they are not being literally silenced, only practically so.

It is fair to point out, by the way, that access to Mr. Trump's own on-line media outlet is restricted to members only.  Outsiders are not allowed to even read what he puts there.


_________________
 Link to Official List of Trump's Atrocities 

45OFFICE = TRE45ON
Lock Him Up!


Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 64
Gender: Male
Posts: 49,593
Location: Stendec

17 May 2021, 12:18 pm

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
It's pretty fair to be banned from a private companies website because you broke their TOS. No one's been "silenced" because they can't use Twitter anymore.
Did no one have a voice before Twitter came to be?  Were everybody's rights to free speech and press being impinged before FaceBook and YouTube were invented?

If so, then I demand financial reparations for 30+ years of personal oppression by those who failed to provide these services earlier!


_________________
 Link to Official List of Trump's Atrocities 

45OFFICE = TRE45ON
Lock Him Up!


Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Feb 2019
Age: 54
Gender: Male
Posts: 902
Location: Tulsa, OK

17 May 2021, 12:39 pm

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
It's pretty fair to be banned from a private companies website because you broke their TOS. No one's been "silenced" because they can't use Twitter anymore. lmao

What TOS did he break?
He was also banned from Twitter, Instagram, Pintrest, FaceBook, and YouTube.
Seems Big Tech wants him silenced.



Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 64
Gender: Male
Posts: 49,593
Location: Stendec

17 May 2021, 12:48 pm

Mr Reynholm wrote:
HeroOfHyrule wrote:
It's pretty fair to be banned from a private companies website because you broke their TOS. No one's been "silenced" because they can't use Twitter anymore. lmao
What TOS did he break?  He was also banned from Twitter, Instagram, Pintrest, FaceBook, and YouTube.  Seems Big Tech wants him silenced.
No, it is the Reptiloid Overlords who want him silenced, because when the people are agitated, they tend to lose body-mass, and the RO's like their steaks well-marbled.  So now we have Mr. Boredom in the Whitehouse, people are getting fat again, and the RO's are happy ... and we want our Reptiloid Overlords to be happy, do we not?


_________________
 Link to Official List of Trump's Atrocities 

45OFFICE = TRE45ON
Lock Him Up!


HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 May 2020
Age: 19
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 4,809
Location: Pacific Northwest

17 May 2021, 12:50 pm

Fnord wrote:
HeroOfHyrule wrote:
It's pretty fair to be banned from a private companies website because you broke their TOS. No one's been "silenced" because they can't use Twitter anymore.
Did no one have a voice before Twitter came to be?  Were everybody's rights to free speech and press being impinged before FaceBook and YouTube were invented?

If so, then I demand financial reparations for 30+ years of personal oppression by those who failed to provide these services earlier!

Apparently, if you can't give ad revenue to crappy social media sites by not being allowed to hold an account on them, you're actively being oppressed and have had your mouth stapled shut. These are truly trying times that we live in. :cry:


_________________
I like playing video games, watching cartoons and anime, reading, and cooking.

I have two cats, a rabbit, and a dog. I also enjoy learning + cataloguing information about different types of animals and plants.


uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 8 Aug 2019
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 568

17 May 2021, 12:58 pm

Mr Reynholm wrote:
HeroOfHyrule wrote:
It's pretty fair to be banned from a private companies website because you broke their TOS. No one's been "silenced" because they can't use Twitter anymore. lmao

What TOS did he break?
He was also banned from Twitter, Instagram, Pintrest, FaceBook, and YouTube.
Seems Big Tech wants him silenced.


"BiG tEcH wAnTs tO SiLeNcE hIm!! !"

Yes, because freedom of speech doesn't exist unless twitter and facebook permit it. How on earth did Freedom exist before social media companies bestowed it upon us :roll:

Why, just the other day, I went to say something publicly, and MARK ZUCKERBERG PERSONALLY came flying out of the sky like an evil supervillain, and used his Big Tech powers to replace everyone's mouth with a facebook logo! LITERALLY SILENCED!



Last edited by uncommondenominator on 17 May 2021, 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Dec 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,183
Location: A swiftly tilting planet

17 May 2021, 1:00 pm

Yeah, how did we ever have a democracy without some a$$hole telling us how to run it through Jack Dorsey's experimental website?

Like the guy never did anything truly awful :lol: dude doing truly awful things is Trump's public relations modus operandi. Closet fascist much?


_________________
"Standing on a well-chilled cinder, we see the fading of the suns, and try to recall the vanished brilliance of the origin of the worlds."
-Georges Lemaitre
"I fly through hyperspace, in my green computer interface"
-Gem Tos :mrgreen:


Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 64
Gender: Male
Posts: 49,593
Location: Stendec

17 May 2021, 1:03 pm

One more time: FaceBook, Twitter, YouTube, et al, are privately-owned websites.  Just like in a privately-owned home, people who cannot abide by the rules the owners have laid down deserve to be shown the way out, and forced out if they will not voluntarily leave.

What anyone else may believe is irrelevant, because the owners make the rules and enforce them, as is their right.

You may as well whine about Keanu Reeves being kicked out of Miley Cyrus' bedroom for trying something kinky.


_________________
 Link to Official List of Trump's Atrocities 

45OFFICE = TRE45ON
Lock Him Up!


Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 64
Gender: Male
Posts: 49,593
Location: Stendec

17 May 2021, 1:05 pm

uncommondenominator wrote:
Yes, because freedom of speech doesn't exist unless twitter and facebook permit it. How on earth did Freedom exist before social media companies bestowed it upon us
I demand reparations for having no right to free speech before Twitter and FaceBook were created!


_________________
 Link to Official List of Trump's Atrocities 

45OFFICE = TRE45ON
Lock Him Up!


cberg
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Dec 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,183
Location: A swiftly tilting planet

17 May 2021, 1:07 pm

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
Fnord wrote:
HeroOfHyrule wrote:
It's pretty fair to be banned from a private companies website because you broke their TOS. No one's been "silenced" because they can't use Twitter anymore.
Did no one have a voice before Twitter came to be?  Were everybody's rights to free speech and press being impinged before FaceBook and YouTube were invented?

If so, then I demand financial reparations for 30+ years of personal oppression by those who failed to provide these services earlier!

Apparently, if you can't give ad revenue to crappy social media sites by not being allowed to hold an account on them, you're actively being oppressed and have had your mouth stapled shut. These are truly trying times that we live in. :cry:


Those poor multimillionaires, how will they ever afford web hosting they can understand?


_________________
"Standing on a well-chilled cinder, we see the fading of the suns, and try to recall the vanished brilliance of the origin of the worlds."
-Georges Lemaitre
"I fly through hyperspace, in my green computer interface"
-Gem Tos :mrgreen:


Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 64
Gender: Male
Posts: 49,593
Location: Stendec

17 May 2021, 1:13 pm

cberg wrote:
Those poor multimillionaires, how will they ever afford web hosting they can understand?

"Dilbert"
Image


_________________
 Link to Official List of Trump's Atrocities 

45OFFICE = TRE45ON
Lock Him Up!


Last edited by Fnord on 17 May 2021, 1:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.