Liz Cheney ousted from Republican leadership

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2021, 9:40 am

Liz Cheney loses House Republican leadership post over feud with Trump

Quote:
Rep. Liz Cheney lost her post in the House Republican leadership on Wednesday after publicly rejecting for months former President Donald Trump's lie that he won the 2020 presidential election.

House Republicans, who ousted Cheney by voice vote behind closed doors on Capitol Hill, are expected to replace her with New York Rep. Elise Stefanik, who has a less conservative voting record than Cheney but has emerged as one of Trump's top defenders. Cheney did not back down in a speech before the voice vote.

"We cannot let the former president drag us backward and make us complicit in his efforts to unravel our democracy," said Cheney. "Down that path lies our destruction, and potentially the destruction of our country."

When Cheney criticized Trump in her opening remarks of the meeting that is now over, she was booed, according to a House member in the room.

Three people familiar with these conversations tell CNN that Cheney has become more actively engaged with Republicans outside of the House conference in recent days, talking and strategizing with these allies about her path forward. The first piece of the plan came in her pointed speech on the House floor Tuesday night, when she said that "those who refuse to accept the rulings of our courts are at war with the Constitution."
One friend described the speech "as a model for her path forward."

In the coming days, the next steps of the plan will become clear, including an effort to "rally the voices of Republicans who share her view," another GOP confidante says. Cheney intends to make clear that she is has "no intentions of abandoning the Republican Party.

A shameful action by a party with no shame.

I think I understand her thinking as to why she is staying in 1. As anything but a Republican she can not be reelected in Wyoming 2. The Democrats are becoming if not woke frighteningly progressive for a conservative like her and a split party guarantees them complete control. With all due deserved respect for her I think she is making a mistake, the Republicans are beyond any hope at this point. It is not a party it is a

In 2016 and 2020 I voted for the Democrat candidate purely because they were the only viable alternative to Trump. If a Conservative Classic party emerges as a viable alternative and I do not think that is likely I would probably vote for them in 2024. Not that I would agree with them about everything, that party’s religious moralism would frighten me. Coming into the 2020 election the question was would Biden govern as the “moderate” candidate he ran as or would he feel the need to deal with the left. We now have the answer he governing woke using all sorts of Critical Race Theory language and policy solutions. Not that he shares their illiberalism but he has opened the door wide. I knew that this result was a possibility so I can’t b***h about it (too much). So why in 2024 would I vote for a candidacy that would split the anti woke vote?. If the Republicans cult stays the course they probably lose again anyway so while not much a virtue signal is better than nothing. And I am never going to endorse a second Trump term.

What can I say, politically it sucks to be me.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2021, 9:49 am

I am sure the Democrats would love to have Ms. Cheney cross over to their side of the aisle, if only to vote.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2021, 11:29 am

Fnord wrote:
I am sure the Democrats would love to have Ms. Cheney cross over to their side of the aisle, if only to vote.

I was today years old when I found out she was a Republican.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2021, 11:39 am

AngelRho wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Her dad was a Republican VP.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2021, 11:53 am

The Republican Party Currently Represents 25 Percent

Of The Population; Their Lingering by A Thread Success, Dependent on

GerryMandering And Limiting The Ability of Less Socio-Economic
Advantaged Folks to Vote; Yet They Better Remember too Who the

Core of Their

Electorate Is

too by this General

More Disadvantaged

Socio-Economic Demographic;

Meanwhile, A Recent Gallup Poll Shows For The
First Time Ever, Church Participation, A Major Aspect
Of Where Republicans Gain Support is Below 50 Percent;

Yes, 47 Percent in 2020, Versus 70 Percent, Just 20 Years ago; Of Course,

Younger Generations are Leading the Change And Within About 5 Years,

The Republican Party Will Be Moving Out of Reach, No Matter What they Do to Get Elected;

So Sure, Folks Are Hanging on To Their Power No Matter What Lies They Try to Make Truth;

It's Their Last

Hurray And

History Written

By Younger Generations

Will Not Hide The Depth of Shame

They Live in At The Top of the Bottom

of Human Lies And Failure of even being Human at all;

Soon Enough, 'The Rats Will Be Jumping Ship', No Different than
The Others Who Have Already Left With Any Level of Self Respect With Integrity And Honor...

The Congregation Will Wither, No Different Than Church Attendance Falling off a Cliff...

Nah, There Won't Be A

Need For Any

'Jesus'

With

Possessed

Pigs or Cliffs as Such;

Not Even Changing Sheep into Goats And Burning Them Forever

By Direction, According to Matthew As Even one of the Insurrectionists

Recently Admitted His Insurrection Out of

'The Congregation' As He Said He Vaulted

Trump Over Jesus, No Different than The

Priest in the Catholic Church i Visit Who Said God Says in Effect Vote Trump...

True, they Pushed Jesus off the Cliff; Yet Love Will Be Resurrected by Anyone

Without A Name... Hint:

Essence Of Truth iN LiGHT; Nope,

Not Empty SHells on Hell's Beach...

It Is So Frigging Disgusting to See

How Weak A Spine of Honor Will Stoop...

Obviously, it was Never A Backbone to begin with....

https://news.gallup.com/poll/341963/chu ... -time.aspx

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2021, 12:30 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Yeah. I seem to remember a hearing about some guy with her same last name of "Cheney".

And she is more conservative than the guy they replaced her with. But her less Republican replacement goes along with the big lie.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2021, 3:11 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
Fnord wrote:

He WAS??? I thought Dubya was just being bipartisan!

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2021, 3:13 pm

AngelRho wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
Fnord wrote:

He was part of Bush Sr. and Reagan's admins as well.
Dick Cheney used to be an example of an extreme right-wing conservative.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2021, 4:03 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
Fnord wrote:

I was joking. His position on gay marriage is the only thing that's somewhat inconsistent, and I doubt his sincerity on that issue. A sincerely held belief is one thing. Only saying something just because you want to be seen as supporting a lesbian daughter is another thing entirely. Cheney did say, though, and I agree, that the matter of gay marriage is up to the states.

Liz, otoh, is most heinous as a Republican. I think it's dangerous for all members of a political party to be in 100% lock-step agreement, but you have to at least be supportive of the other leading politicians in your party. Liz has been a valuable asset for the Democrats. I can't help but giggle a little any time a prominent RINO gets owned. I only wish it would happen more often.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2021, 5:27 pm

AngelRho wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
Fnord wrote:

I was joking. His position on gay marriage is the only thing that's somewhat inconsistent, and I doubt his sincerity on that issue. A sincerely held belief is one thing. Only saying something just because you want to be seen as supporting a lesbian daughter is another thing entirely. Cheney did say, though, and I agree, that the matter of gay marriage is up to the states.

Liz, otoh, is most heinous as a Republican. I think it's dangerous for all members of a political party to be in 100% lock-step agreement, but you have to at least be supportive of the other leading politicians in your party. Liz has been a valuable asset for the Democrats. I can't help but giggle a little any time a prominent RINO gets owned. I only wish it would happen more often.

Getting "owned"?

WTF are you talking about?

How is she being "owned"?

You "own" someone by somehow descrediting them. She is being punished, But she is not being discredited in any way.

I am not aware of her having a history of being a Rino.

Had the impression that she was quite conservative.

But be that as it may...in this case she is not being "owned". She is being persecuted. And being persecuted for sticking up for GOP values (like democracy and the Constitution). And not for betraying Republican values. Its the rest of the GOP that is betraying its own values by persecuting her.

I dont see anything for any American of either party to "giggle" about. I must be missing something.
========

As a minor aside: how can you really believe that same sex marriage "should be left up to the states"?
You know full well that it would be hopelessly impractical for couples to be recognized as being married in one state, but not be considered married in the next state. Its like the problems created by slavery on the eve of the Civil War when it was legal to own a human being as property in state A, and illegal next door in state B. It creates too many legal contradictions. It's fine to like states rights, and it's fine to not like SSM, but which ever way the country decides (to allow SSM, or to not allow it)it has to be for the whole country as a whole or it wont work. With some things you have to put states' rights aside.

Redd_Kross
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2021, 5:39 pm

If the Republicans are smart they will disown Trump and reoccupy the centre right.

That in turn will push the Democrats further towards the left hand side of the right wing, or the centre as it is known internationally. And that will lose them votes.

Meanwhile Trump will be goose-stepping on the far right to an ever-decreasing audience.

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2021, 5:43 pm

Trump cult cancel culture strikes again.
Those who impugn glorious party leader must be shamed! They are enemies of the people! Shun them! Censure them! Make them afraid to show their faces in the presence of True Believers!

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2021, 6:09 pm

AngelRho wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Actually 'Real Men'

Have Enough Honor

And Integrity to Stand Up

For Truth And Women too;

In this Way Liz Cheney

Is The Only

'Real

Man'
in The
Frigging

Republican House

And the Woman Replacing

Her Is Considered Less Republican Conservative than Liz;

Of Course You Are Towing the Line of Trump's "Cult of
Personality" Here; No Different than 'Party Lines' of the 'Church'...

Who Don't Have Enough Common Sense to Understand Homosexuality

Is No Less Part of Humanity Than Any Other Part of Nature As God's Face For Real...

Yet We

Are Getting

Into Metaphors

Here; God Forbid

Life isn't Literally A Lie

As Trump Supports The
Sanctity of Breathing Truth...

And Those Who Support 'The Cult of Personality' As 'The Audience Applauds'

Only For Show Though to Retain Power With Their Tails Between Their Legs; It's Truly Disgusting...

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2021, 8:52 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Getting "owned"?

WTF are you talking about?

How is she being "owned"?

You "own" someone by somehow descrediting them. She is being punished, But she is not being discredited in any way.

I am not aware of her having a history of being a Rino.

Had the impression that she was quite conservative.

But be that as it may...in this case she is not being "owned". She is being persecuted. And being persecuted for sticking up for GOP values (like democracy and the Constitution). And not for betraying Republican values. Its the rest of the GOP that is betraying its own values by persecuting her.

I dont see anything for any American of either party to "giggle" about. I must be missing something.
========

As a minor aside: how can you really believe that same sex marriage "should be left up to the states"?
You know full well that it would be hopelessly impractical for couples to be recognized as being married in one state, but not be considered married in the next state. Its like the problems created by slavery on the eve of the Civil War when it was legal to own a human being as property in state A, and illegal next door in state B. It creates too many legal contradictions. It's fine to like states rights, and it's fine to not like SSM, but which ever way the country decides (to allow SSM, or to not allow it)it has to be for the whole country as a whole or it wont work. With some things you have to put states' rights aside.

Don’t care...all just words to me, discredited, punished, whatever. It’s deserved and a long time coming. I can’t help but feel a little bit of satisfaction over it.

Yes, left up to the states. Should have happened with slavery, too, but conditions then were far from ideal. Should be that way with everything. The reason is that any time you want to make something a federal law, you want to be sure EVERYONE is on board. Maybe not 100% unanimous, but you should expect to have a good majority that want things a certain way. When people vote on something and approve of it, it’s easy to make changes. Individual states are able to oversee the unique people that they govern, so if you like the way things are in another state, like, say, SSM, then you can just move to a state that offers or allows it. Part of the reason that abortion is such a hot issue is for the same reason. Abortion rights weren’t decided through voting. It was decided through various court cases that bypassed the will of the people. In Europe, either people were able to vote on the issue or their representative did. Abortion is not such a controversial issue in Europe because of that. In the US, we are promised that level or freedom but are seldom actually granted it. States rights issues are a thing now because not every state is California or New York, and at the moment it is largely California and New York that dominate national policy. People from Mississippi don’t like California making their decisions for them. If the slavery issue had played out, it would have ultimately ended as an institution without the bloodshed and the racism that followed it.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2021, 8:59 pm

AngelRho wrote:
I can't help but giggle a little any time a prominent RINO gets owned. I only wish it would happen more often.

If she's a RINO now then you're basically conceding the Republicans are an anti-democratic party that's more interested in fealty to dear leader than maintaining democratic principles.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2021, 10:23 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
I can't help but giggle a little any time a prominent RINO gets owned. I only wish it would happen more often.

If she's a RINO now then you're basically conceding the Republicans are an anti-democratic party that's more interested in fealty to dear leader than maintaining democratic principles.

She’s long been a RINO. I think while Trump brought out the best in some Republicans, he brought out the filthiest worst in others. I think Trump has done more to expose the scum in the Republican Party. We’ve had an establishment that doesn’t really represent grassroots conservatives, and I think Trump did more to make them visible—as said, bringing out the worst.

Cheney’s not entirely gone. She’s just not allowed to serve in the same capacity and has lost a lot of power. She doesn’t share the same conservative values, and she’s done more harm than good for the Republican cause. She’s a RINO, and she’s made of the same stuff as McCan’t. About time somebody called her out.