Texas Senate Bill - Can’t teach KKK is morally wrong

Page 1 of 9 [ 141 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2021, 9:27 am

Texas Senate Bill Drops Teaching Requirement That Ku Klux Klan Is ‘Morally Wrong’

Quote:
In a new political low in Texas, the Republican-dominated state Senate has passed a bill to eliminate a requirement that public schools teach that the Ku Klux Klan and its white supremacist campaign of terror are “morally wrong.”

The cut is among some two dozen curriculum requirements dropped in the measure, along with studying Martin Luther King Jr.’s “I Have a Dream” speech, the works of United Farm Workers leader Cesar Chavez, Susan B. Anthony’s writings about the women’s suffragist movement, and Native American history.

Critics say the state is promoting an “anti-civics” education.

Senate Bill 3 — passed last Friday 18-4 — drops most mentions of people of color and women from the state’s required curriculum.

That includes eliminating a requirement that students be taught the “history of white supremacy, including but not limited to the institution of slavery, the eugenics movement, and the Ku Klux Klan, and the ways in which it is morally wrong.”

Did supporters of critical race theory pay the Texas Senate to make them look good?
#CancelCulture

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 20 Jul 2021, 10:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2021, 9:29 am

This was a good decision.

Schools should not be teaching morals.

Be the hero of your life.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2021, 9:38 am

I wonder if Texas teachers will be allowed to tell their students the truth behind "The Yellow Rose of Texas".

Written by the anonymous songwriter known as J.K., "The Yellow Rose of Texas" was sung from an African American narrator's outlook, and it follows his pursuit to find his lost love, a woman of a mixed-race he calls "The Yellow Rose of Texas."

Like most minstrel songs, the lyrics were written in a cross between a parody of a generic creole dialect historically attributed to African-Americans and standard American English.  In the 1830s, the term "yellow" was commonly used to refer to mulattos while "rose" was a popular euphemism for a young woman.  And this description perfectly met folk heroine Emily West, making the song closely associated with her -- "the sweetest little rosebud that Texas ever knew."

West was a free black woman from Connecticut who worked as an indentured servant for Colonel James Morgan at a hotel located in Morgan’s Point, Texas.  Unfortunately, during the Texas Revolution, West and the rest of the hotel householders were captured by Mexican troops that were led by General Antonio López de Santa Anna. [...]

Source:
 This "Country Thang Daily" Article 

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2021, 11:16 am

We all know it isn't politically correct to condemn white supremacism in the classroom. We're supposed to pretend it's not a bad thing because schools shouldn't teach decency. Image

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2021, 11:28 am

In the end, moralizing on this topic in school isn't likely to influence a child who has bigotted parents. The parents will simply continue brainwash the children with their twisted ideology.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2021, 11:36 am

While the KKK were just as evil as the Nazis, I think it's still wise to teach children the difference between wrong. I think they should teach children what a KKK member looks like, what the dialogue looks like, how these members adopt their small-minded origins, etc.

Keep in mind the KKK were responsible for the church bombings of four little black girls who were getting ready to sing in a choir on a Sunday morning. It's even being taught at a civil rights museum in my city.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2021, 11:39 am

While preaching morality in a public school is wrong[1], ethical behavior[2] should be taught along with critical thinking and the scientific method.

[1] Because morality is derived from religion, and separation of religion and state are in the Constitution.
[2] Ethical behavior is devoid of religion, being derived from philosophical reason.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2021, 5:26 pm

TheRobotLives wrote:

Really!! ! Now, that's a first for a conservative to say!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2021, 5:31 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
In the end, moralizing on this topic in school isn't likely to influence a child who has bigotted parents. The parents will simply continue brainwash the children with their twisted ideology.

So schools shouldn't even try to make the world a better place by changing hearts and minds?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2021, 5:44 pm

I'm not sure they need to moralize in order to teach that the KKK were morally wrong.

Documenting their actions and then agreeing when the students reach the reasonable conclusion that they were wrong should be enough. Of course, if a student struggles to reach that understanding it's reasonable to teach them why it is the reasonable conclusion.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2021, 5:48 pm

TheRobotLives wrote:

I think schools should teach basic morals in the sense of right from wrong. Not in the other sense of teaching pupils to accept Jesus as their personal savior, but if they're going to reach history then they're going to have to teach about the Klan and that's going to require explaining that the Klan's activities are wrong.

We can't rely on family members to teach that.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2021, 6:00 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:

So schools shouldn't even try to make the world a better place by changing hearts and minds?

No. I'm simply saying that it's rather hard to trump the garbage children are fed at home. Most likely it will take them moving out into the world, hopefully going to college, to erase the bigotry they've been subjected to.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2021, 6:12 pm

TheRobotLives wrote:

It isn't 'teaching morals' to describe the Klan as a terrorist organization that violated the civil liberties of American citizens on the basis of their race and their political views.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2021, 6:20 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
TheRobotLives wrote:
This was a good decision.  Schools should not be teaching morals.
It isn't 'teaching morals' to describe the Klan as a terrorist organization that violated the civil liberties of American citizens on the basis of their race and their political views.
a. "Morality" is derived from religion.
b. Separating religion (church) from public schools (state) is constitutional.
: : Eliminating lessons on the immorality of slavery is constitutional.

Here is the irony: Texas Republicans seem to want religious (Christian) morality taught in public schools, yet when it comes to normalizing racism, even their (Christian) moral values have lower priority.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2021, 7:44 pm

Fnord wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
TheRobotLives wrote:
This was a good decision.  Schools should not be teaching morals.
a. "Morality" is derived from religion.
b. Separating religion (church) from public schools (state) is constitutional.
: : Eliminating lessons on the immorality of slavery is constitutional.

Here is the irony: Texas Republicans seem to want religious (Christian) morality taught in public schools, yet when it comes to normalizing racism, even their (Christian) moral values have lower priority.

That’s Abbott for ya.

Even Mofo (Rick Perry) wouldn’t do this.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2021, 8:42 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:

No. I'm simply saying that it's rather hard to trump the garbage children are fed at home. Most likely it will take them moving out into the world, hopefully going to college, to erase the bigotry they've been subjected to.

It still doesn't hurt to start early.