Trump shouldn't have had his twitter suspended, thats unfair

Page 2 of 5 [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2021, 1:13 pm

Fnord wrote:
One more time: FaceBook, Twitter, YouTube, et al, are privately-owned websites.  Just like in a privately-owned home, people who cannot abide by the rules the owners have laid down deserve to be shown the way out, and forced out if they will not voluntarily leave.

What anyone else may believe is irrelevant, because the owners make the rules and enforce them, as is their right.

You may as well whine about Keanu Reeves being kicked out of Miley Cyrus' bedroom for trying something kinky.

The "private companies" argument just doesn't hold water. You're completing ignoring the fact that these social media platforms are restricting most speech that is contrary to the narrative the political establishment and their corporate donor class. It's not an environment that nurtures free exchange of ideas and civilized constructive dialog.

That's what you've never understood.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2021, 1:13 pm

Fnord wrote:
uncommondenominator wrote:
Yes, because freedom of speech doesn't exist unless twitter and facebook permit it. How on earth did Freedom exist before social media companies bestowed it upon us
I demand reparations for having no right to free speech before Twitter and FaceBook were created!

Imagine how smart the founding fathers must have been, knowing in advance that one day computers would connect the world in a global network, so they made the first amendment confident that someday twitter would finally be able to fulfil the dream of free speech. It must have been rough, going from the 1700's until the 21st century with literally NO free speech! I remember in the 80's literally nobody was allowed to talk. It wasn't until BBS systems that we had some semblance of freedom. When Myspace came into existence, we finally became a truly free nataion!

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2021, 1:16 pm

You guys don't understand that I can delete files from my own servers. You don't own the servers so you don't decide what goes up there. It's really that simple, if you don't own a computer, it's not your computer. Imagine that. :|

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2021, 1:18 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
Fnord wrote:
One more time: FaceBook, Twitter, YouTube, et al, are privately-owned websites.  Just like in a privately-owned home, people who cannot abide by the rules the owners have laid down deserve to be shown the way out, and forced out if they will not voluntarily leave.  What anyone else may believe is irrelevant, because the owners make the rules and enforce them, as is their right.  You may as well whine about Keanu Reeves being kicked out of Miley Cyrus' bedroom for trying something kinky.
The "private companies" argument just doesn't hold water...
Is that the same lame argument you use whenever a bouncer throws you out of a bar, pub, or club?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2021, 1:18 pm

FWIW Wrong Planet does an AMAZING job allowing neo-conservative windbags & their various international supporters to advocate for psychotic fascist talking points without letting things slide too far.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2021, 1:21 pm

cberg wrote:
FWIW Wrong Planet does an AMAZING job allowing neo-conservative windbags & their various international supporters to advocate for psychotic fascist talking points without letting things slide too far.
If not for us "liberals", those neo-conservative windbags (et al.) would have no social media platforms on which to speak!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Last edited by Fnord on 17 May 2021, 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2021, 1:22 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
Fnord wrote:
One more time: FaceBook, Twitter, YouTube, et al, are privately-owned websites.  Just like in a privately-owned home, people who cannot abide by the rules the owners have laid down deserve to be shown the way out, and forced out if they will not voluntarily leave.

What anyone else may believe is irrelevant, because the owners make the rules and enforce them, as is their right.

You may as well whine about Keanu Reeves being kicked out of Miley Cyrus' bedroom for trying something kinky.

The "private companies" argument just doesn't hold water. You're completing ignoring the fact that these social media platforms are restricting most speech that is contrary to the narrative the political establishment and their corporate donor class. It's not an environment that nurtures free exchange of ideas and civilized constructive dialog.

That's what you've never understood.

Private companies are private, and have no obligation, constitutionally legally or otherwise, to be "an environment that nurtures free exchange of ideas and civilized constructive dialog" - they can restrict speech all they want, it's their platform, and they're privately owned. Just like WP can enforce rules about what can or can't be said. Their house, their rules. Just cos some people get a little too comfy in a house that isn't theirs, they feel like they have rights that don't actually exist. Facebook is a privilege, not a right. If you're unhappy with the service, ask for a refund 8)

Last edited by uncommondenominator on 17 May 2021, 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2021, 1:24 pm

My libtarded arse knows a thing or two about every kind of work & I can't for the life of me believe that these guys all have jobs like they say everyone should. They spend WAY too much time pasting disinformation to work as hard as me.

Last edited by cberg on 17 May 2021, 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2021, 1:25 pm

If the service is free, people are the product.

People are complaining that Trump can't get ripped off by advertising conglomerates any more.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2021, 1:28 pm

I sometimes have to stop and wonder why right-wing Neo-Con Repugnicans believe they have the privilege of doing my thinking for me and/or telling me what to think, when nearly all of them seem incapable of thinking for themselves (by only repeating what others of their kind have already said), if they are capable of any original thinking at all.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2021, 1:32 pm

Fnord wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
Fnord wrote:
One more time: FaceBook, Twitter, YouTube, et al, are privately-owned websites.  Just like in a privately-owned home, people who cannot abide by the rules the owners have laid down deserve to be shown the way out, and forced out if they will not voluntarily leave.  What anyone else may believe is irrelevant, because the owners make the rules and enforce them, as is their right.  You may as well whine about Keanu Reeves being kicked out of Miley Cyrus' bedroom for trying something kinky.
Is that the same lame argument you use whenever a bouncer throws you out of a bar, pub, or club?

That's a non sequitur. I'm talking about poltical control of platforms that are bought and payed for by the same corporate interests that own our government, and the detrimental effect it has on our ability to express opinions.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2021, 1:33 pm

^You're bad at expressing opinions anyway man, you blow up in our faces over politics.

I told my dad ten thousand times (no exaggeration) to stop letting Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh & Sean Hannity tell him to think for himself, turn the TV off & bloody well think for himself already. It always devolves into a shouting match in which he wants to watch more fascist TV instead of "fight" but the fact of the matter is that you can't have a conversation with the guy when he's in this mind state. He's white, a senior electrical engineer & the TV is making him feel entitled to his sense of superiority. He's entitled to his opinion & he's chosen one Fox News shoved down his throat.

Last edited by cberg on 17 May 2021, 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2021, 1:34 pm

I am all for allowing Trump to make an ass of himself on Twitter, Facebook, Reddit, whatever...

But there is an element of danger because there are some people who are idiotic enough to take his crap seriously...including some pretty (otherwise) smart people.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2021, 1:41 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
Fnord wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
Fnord wrote:
That's a non sequitur. I'm talking about poltical control of platforms that are bought and payed for by the same corporate interests that own our government, and the detrimental effect it has on our ability to express opinions.
No, that was a "Red Herring".

Your favorite political entities simply do not have the technical skills to create their own "Twitters", and "FaceBooks"; nor do they really have much to say that is of interest to intelligent and well-educated people; and it is because of these facts that they must leech on to other people's systems and hope that some credibility will rub off and give them a broader audience.

Sucks to be him, but I do not see Mr. Trump's little nursery-room empire posing any threat of competition to the likes of Twitter and Facebook, and that is what really rankles the Reich.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2021, 1:48 pm

If someone creates their own media outlet, they still have to survive the power structure that attempts to censor their message.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2021, 2:15 pm

salad wrote:
Ok so I was bored today and to kill time I thought "hey, why not I entertain myself by checking Donald Trump's twitter?"
Until I found out thats not possible because its suspended. Shoot, I thought, surely he had to have done something truly awful to get his twitter suspended.
Then I found out his reason for getting his twitter suspended:

Hello and welcome to the American political experience.