Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2021, 5:16 am

Have you ever noticed just how many vaccines kids get these days? Heard immunity is good obviously, but do all these vaccines do more harm than good? Even Donald Trump said America vaccine schedules look like they're for horses and not kids.

Western approach to vaccination is a machine gun approach, just fire wildly with marathon vaccine sessions for third world diseases not seen in decades in the west. ..... sometimes 5 in one sitting when kids are young......and wonder why they develop a fear of needles and doctors as adults and are reluctant to have needles ever again even if it stops people getting a check for diabetes.

Perhaps instead of giving kids dozens of vaccines, many will never be made use of we should instead send these vaccines abroad to the areas where these diseases are prevalent?

Polio? What the hell? Perhaps if all those useless Polio vaccines were sent to places where Polio was actually a problem then perhaps polio might be a historical curio by now, consigned to history like smallpox.

Seriously, why is western vaccine programs so inefficient? The people who need the vaccines never get them and the people who don't need them end up like pin cushions.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2021, 5:22 am

We have to be more efficient in delivering the vaccines to underserved areas, that’s all.

Without vaccines, we would still have smallpox, polio, and many other diseases still rampant, causing tragically early death for many.

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2021, 5:38 am

That's like saying you're not anti-science but the world was created in a volcano or you're not anti-science but global warming isn't real.

You can't have it both ways.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2021, 5:59 am

Nades wrote:
Perhaps instead of giving kids dozens of vaccines, many will never be made use of we should instead send these vaccines abroad to the areas where these diseases are prevalent?

Polio? What the hell? Perhaps if all those useless Polio vaccines were sent to places where Polio was actually a problem then perhaps polio might be a historical curio by now, consigned to history like smallpox.

Polio has effectively been eradicating everywhere other than Pakistan and Afghanistan.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polio_eradication

And a major reason why Polio hasn't been eradicated in these two countries is because of anti-vaccine sentiment.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polio_era ... on_efforts

OutsideView
Veteran
Veteran

Location: England ^not male but apparently you can't change it

02 Feb 2021, 6:03 am

My 4 month old will be getting at least one stab this time next week. Didn't some unusual illness re-emerge in the UK recently? Can't remember what it was now.

Raised By Wolves
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Feb 2021, 6:30 am

OutsideView wrote:
My 4 month old will be getting at least one stab this time next week. Didn't some unusual illness re-emerge in the UK recently? Can't remember what it was now.

you might be thinking of mumps, apparently it's on the rise in UK because of all the kids who were not given the MMR back in the '80s on account of the autism scaremongering that went on

OutsideView
Veteran
Veteran

Location: England ^not male but apparently you can't change it

02 Feb 2021, 6:43 am

Raised By Wolves wrote:
you might be thinking of mumps, apparently it's on the rise in UK because of all the kids who were not given the MMR back in the '80s on account of the autism scaremongering that went on

Ah right, I knew it was one of those thanks. Guess I never had that vaccine because I had mumps in the 80s. Turned out autistic anyway :lol:

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2021, 6:47 am

These diseases are only as rare because we keep giving people vaccines, they can still pop up in places if people are reckless. Heard immunity is good for the people are to immune deficient to get vaccines and should be able to live a normal life without fear of catching them.

Frankly, Donald Trump is not a doctor, he does not know what he is talking about in terms of what is the best way to keep the next generation healthy. It is all a joke about some disease that should be gone until your child gets polio and will have to spend the rest of their lives restricted with movement and with a cane.

Whatever "damage" is being done with the vaccines is nothing compared to the good they are doing, and you should accept the advice of an expert who understands and studied the science, and not just some sceptic who knows massages and or natural oils.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2021, 6:49 am

KT67 wrote:
That's like saying you're not anti-science but the world was created in a volcano or you're not anti-science but global warming isn't real.

It sort of can be both ways. Polio was pretty much eradicated decades ago in the US. If perhaps a small fraction of US polio vaccines had gone towards a vaccination drive instead of using them on US kids, in the very specific areas where Polio was a threat decades ago then I think the polio jab wouldn't be needed anymore in the US.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2021, 7:06 am

Nades wrote:
KT67 wrote:

It sort of can be both ways. Polio was pretty much eradicated decades ago in the US. If perhaps a small fraction of US polio vaccines had gone towards a vaccination drive instead of using them on US kids, in the very specific areas where Polio was a threat decades ago then I think the polio jab wouldn't be needed anymore in the US.

There is - to my knowledge - no shortage of polio vaccines, so there is no need for an "either/or" approach when it comes to vaccination.

Furthermore, a society obviously doesn't get herd immunity by only vaccinating a small subset of the population. And if a polio outbreak was to occur in such an unvaccinated population, the outbreak could be quite difficult to contain, especially in the US where people freely can drive cars, fly planes and take buses/trains back and forth across the country.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2021, 7:12 am

Vaccination was developed for a very good reason, to say the least.

A 1 in 100,000 prevalence in anaphylactic reactions should not contraindicate vaccination.

The alleged connection with autism theory is rubbish.

Anti-vaxxers should study the history of disease.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2021, 7:12 am

If you lived in the early to mid 20th perhaps you would be less willing to take the risk that polio would not come back sans vaccine. I was not living then but my parents did and the fear and dread of that disease were equivalent to COVID. COVID has its "long-termers", Polio left people permanently very disabled.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2021, 7:19 am

This “refusal of vaccines” is a 21st century phenomenon.

Much of the time, it is provoked by erroneous conspiracy theories.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

02 Feb 2021, 7:57 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
This “refusal of vaccines” is a 21st century phenomenon.

Much of the time, it is provoked by erroneous conspiracy theories.

Actually, Polish pamphlet "On crying absurdity and horrible harm of smallpox vaccinations", 1904: https://academica.edu.pl/reading/readSi ... d=18619048

It's been there all the time but before social media, there were less echo chambers where such ideas could resonate.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2021, 8:22 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
If you lived in the early to mid 20th perhaps you would be less willing to take the risk that polio would not come back sans vaccine. I was not living then but my parents did and the fear and dread of that disease were equivalent to COVID. COVID has its "long-termers", Polio left people permanently very disabled.

I'm not doubting the effectiveness of vaccines but rather the implementation of them. The western world has done a fantastic job of using vaccines to eracicate a lot of illnesses from the developed world. The issue i have is that they seem to go overboard with the vaccines. Here in the UK, vaccinating all 14 to 15 year olds with a TB jab was abolished in 2005 because the disease became so rare. (Thank god, it was a painful jab and scarred eneryone who had it for life.....litterally) Getting rid of certain vaccines isn't really a danger if done correctly.

On the other hand, being fanatical about them is a real danger. Kids who have too many injections become adults who are more likely to avoid needles in the future and a time like this where everyone will need a vaccine soon, perhaps it's backfired. They're also less likely to get other injections they need besides covid.

https://theconversation.com/fear-of-nee ... -it-139029

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2021, 8:59 am

Nades wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

I'm not doubting the effectiveness of vaccines but rather the implementation of them. The western world has done a fantastic job of using vaccines to eracicate a lot of illnesses from the developed world. The issue i have is that they seem to go overboard with the vaccines. Here in the UK, vaccinating all 14 to 15 year olds with a TB jab was abolished in 2005 because the disease became so rare. (Thank god, it was a painful jab and scarred eneryone who had it for life.....litterally) Getting rid of certain vaccines isn't really a danger if done correctly.

And who should decide if it is done "correctly"?

You?