The fat acceptance movement is stupid and regression

Page 4 of 11 [ 174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2021, 9:32 am

TheRobotLives wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
It’s not good to be fat.

Some benefits:
1. Get to eat whatever.
2. Less Wrinkles.
3. Always have a butt cushion.
4. Insulation for cold days.

Is this why my friends always think it's weird that I wear a coat when I go out with them, where as they do not and think that I am unusually cold and may have a problem they say? They do weigh more than me, so wondering if that is why they are less cold than me.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2021, 11:56 am

Who knows?

You might have anemia. That makes folks get cold.

But bigger people (even if they are not fat) have less surface area to mass, ergo loose less heat, ergo can in theory withstand more cold than small folks. And if they are also fat then fat acts as insulation. Thats why sea mammals have blubber.

sorrowfairiewhisper
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2021, 12:04 pm

Being over weight or under weight isn’t fashionable! Shame theirs no keeping healthy movement or all lives matter . Being super skinny or morbidly obese isn’t a good thing to aspire too

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2021, 12:40 pm

TheRobotLives wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
It’s not good to be fat.

Some benefits:
1. Get to eat whatever.
2. Less Wrinkles.
3. Always have a butt cushion.
4. Insulation for cold days.

Once got someone angry when I talked about fat privilege and now it was painful for me to go down a slide on my back because of my bones. Ow. But yet he didn't see how stupid thin privilege sounds.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2021, 5:11 pm

As someone who's been both unhealthily overweight (300 lbs), and unhealthily underweight (175), and STILL was "too heavy", and considered "overweight" by the BMI chart, this whole discussion feels like it's mostly about what it's ok to shame people about.

The BMI crap can go take a long walk off a short bridge. It completely ignores the variety of shapes sizes and characteristics of human diversity. Like bone density, skeletal structure, muscle mass, and so on. My lowest possible healthy weight is 180. At 180 lbs you can already see my ribs and my hip bones. Any lower than 180 and I start to get neuropathy in my legs, random dizzy spells, and other health problems. But BMI says at 180, I'm "overweight". when I weighted 225, I wasn't skeletal like I am now, looked normal, and was perfectly healthy. But MBI says that 225 makes me "obese". BMI can GTFOOH.

I hear a lot of people making it about "health". Cool. But I don't hear anyone talking about making the food available healthier. Or making healthy food less expensive. Or health benefits to help fight obesity. Really, it seems like they just want to be allowed to shame fat people for being fat. Cos plenty of people who "look overweight", ARE perfectly heathy.

If you have health problems, you have health problems. If you don't have health problems, you don't have health problems. Regardless of someone's weight. It's interesting to see people so very interested in the health of others, but only so far as it allows them to give those people a hard time. Oh, and if you try to point out something unhealthy THEY do, you apparently need to "mind your own business". Funny that.

The point of "fat acceptance" isn't that people think "fat is GREAT!, you SHOULD be fat!" - it's that maybe, despite how we may feel about it, this person still deserves to be treated like a human being, and if we really care about their well-being, there are probably better ways to help than by ridiculing them. That's like saying the best way to motivate people is by constantly shaming them for their laziness until they stop being lazy. Does that mean the cure for autism is to shame autistics into not being so autistic?

What this boils down to is the idea that "you look a certain way, therefore it's ok to make certain assumptions about you, and act negatively towards them, because I'm helping!" - that is "you LOOK to be what I PERONSALLY consider to be 'overweight', and that MIGHT be 'unhealthy', therefore I'm doing GOOD by criticizing your weight in the hopes that it coerces you into losing it - for your own good, of course".

It reminds me of when guys tell girls they should "smile more". Despite all the explanations of what "they meant", it still just comes of as "be better looking scenery for me".

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2021, 6:22 pm

I agree that being overweight is unhealthy and that being obese is even more unhealthy. There is no (legitimately) denying that, it is a proven fact. In my opinion, continuing to eat junk and not exercise when you know the harm such a lifestyle does to your body should be viewed the same way as smoking when you are aware of the harm that causes (not a perfect analogy because smoking around other people harms them as well while sitting on the couch all day eating potato chips only affects yourself, but it’s what I could come up with right away).

However...

1. Not everybody who is overweight or obese is so because of their own actions. Just as some people have trouble keeping weight on, some people have trouble keeping weight off no matter what they do. There are medical conditions and such that cause some people to gain/keep significant amounts of weight and there is no way barring fat-removal surgical procedures for them to do anything about it. For example, I spent 27 years being skinny, and sometimes even unhealthily underweight, but when I had chemotherapy I gained forty pounds in a year (despite not being so adversely affected as to stop/minimize exercise or anything) and now am on the verge of being overweight for the first time in my life. For the past six months or so I have been increasing exercise (walking a lot and riding an exercise bike for 30-60 minutes on a regular basis), minimizing sugar and carbs, and increasing my amount of fruits and veggies, and I have not lost an ounce. I know somebody else who is obese because she has a health condition (don’t remember what exactly) that affects her endocrine system. A person’s body condition is not always an indicator of their lifestyle.

2. By all means, make sure someone knows about the health risks involved (if it’s someone you know, at least), but ultimately their lifestyle is their decision and there is no convincing some people to make healthy/less-unhealthy choices. You don’t have to like it or like how they look as a result, but you should still treat them decently. Granted I don’t get “out in the world” that much to know how it actually is, but I think the emphasis should be on “acceptance.” Would you make fun of someone who had lost half a lip due to cancer caused by tobacco use? No? Then don’t make fun of someone who is overweight, even if you know it’s due to their own actions.

Do I think being overweight should be idealized? No. But do I think being unhealthily underweight should be idealized? No. Do I think everyone should be treated like a decent person regardless of how they take care of (or don’t take care of) their body? Yes.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2021, 7:12 pm

sorrowfairiewhisper wrote:
Being over weight or under weight isn’t fashionable!

There are many high profile female figures who are suspected to have eating disorders who obviously don't mind setting unrealistic goals for their followers

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2021, 7:15 pm

League_Girl wrote:
We also need thin (anorexic) acceptance.

We need thin acceptance but we should never accept anorexia.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2021, 7:38 pm

Food addiction and purging disorders are both eating disorders

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2021, 8:00 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

And we should never accept obesity either. This hypocrisy needs to stop.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2021, 8:06 pm

cyberdad wrote:

There are many high profile female figures who are suspected to have eating disorders who obviously don't mind setting unrealistic goals for their followers

Seriously, that woman in the second photo looked fine, I am insulted you would call it unhealthy thin. This is what I am talking about when I say people are so used to seeing people being overweight and obese, they don't know what healthy thin looks like anymore. Even I have gotten body shamed for my size, being told I am too skinny and I need to put on some weight when I don't even look like that bikini woman in the photo. :evil:

If fat people are allowed to have Instagram pages, so can these women too.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2021, 8:19 pm

having involuntarily gained weight despite near-starvation eating in a vain attempt at counteracting enforced inactivity [arthritic hips and knees and back], i gained 40 pounds in 6 months. it is a prison. i see no way to fix this unless my joints are fixed thus allowing me to move again.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2021, 8:24 pm

To sum things up succinctly, nobody should be “shamed” due to their body size/shape, especially by strangers who don’t know anything about the person’s health (whether that is actually a healthy weight for that person or whether it is even due to their lifestyle at all), period. Nobody is “too fat” or “too thin” to be/do/wear whatever they want, nobody has to be as thin or un-thin as anybody else, and people’s bodies are their bodies.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2021, 8:29 pm

cyberdad wrote:

Is that what Kiera Knightley really looks like or without a shirt on, or is that just 'photoshopped'?

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2021, 8:35 pm

League_Girl wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

And we should never accept obesity either. This hypocrisy needs to stop.

So, I don’t deserve to be accepted? I have to stay on my antipsychotics that predispose me to a higher body weight. If someone with an eating disorder can be accepted so should someone like me who has to take medications to keep her stability and stay out of a psychiatric unit.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2021, 8:40 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Seriously, that woman in the second photo looked fine, I am insulted you would call it unhealthy thin. This is what I am talking about when I say people are so used to seeing people being overweight and obese, they don't know what healthy thin looks like anymore. Even I have gotten body shamed for my size, being told I am too skinny and I need to put on some weight when I don't even look like that bikini woman in the photo. :evil:

If fat people are allowed to have Instagram pages, so can these women too.

The woman in the second photo is Kate Middleton and its a before she got married to Prince William and after shot when she started going in the public eye. There's evidence she started starving herself to become thin once she became a centre of attention for the British media. She had severe morning sickness which a doctor suspected was linked to having poor nutrition during her pregnancy.

The women in the photos became thinner once they became popular so my point is they have been knowingly setting toxic weight standards for their fans. I am not talking about women who have always been the same weight.