The fat acceptance movement is stupid and regression

Page 8 of 11 [ 174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2021, 12:34 pm

ironpony wrote:
Is there some advantages to being overweight in terms of appearance? For example, my ex-gf could attract a lot of guys and she was overweight. My two women friends were were thing talking about her in a conversaton once. Not judgmentally at all, but they were wondering how come she could get guys attention compared to them. One of them replied to the other, "It's because she's got a big rack".

So if they are correct, do overweight women sometimes attract more guys because of that, or have an advantage there?

Some men have a fat fetish and like chubby ladies.

And other benefits to being heavy, less dynamic wrinkles, more plump and volume in face, they don't show signs of aging as soon because of all that extra body fat that holds up their skin and plumps it in place.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2021, 1:27 pm

League_Girl wrote:
ironpony wrote:
Is there some advantages to being overweight in terms of appearance? For example, my ex-gf could attract a lot of guys and she was overweight. My two women friends were were thing talking about her in a conversaton once. Not judgmentally at all, but they were wondering how come she could get guys attention compared to them. One of them replied to the other, "It's because she's got a big rack".

So if they are correct, do overweight women sometimes attract more guys because of that, or have an advantage there?

And other benefits to being heavy, less dynamic wrinkles, more plump and volume in face, they don't show signs of aging as soon because of all that extra body fat that holds up their skin and plumps it in place.

Some have a fat fetish but men like all sorts of women. I doubt every man who is attracted to bigger women has a fat fetish though.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2021, 7:17 pm

ironpony wrote:

A quick perusal of tik tok, instagram and cam girls gives a reasonable indicator of which girls get the most views/followers and patreon members. Patreon is probably the best indicator of western male tastes and the women are 99.95%
1. Young
2. very attractive faces
3. white
4. slim

It seems very rare to find an overweight woman on any of these sites.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2021, 7:20 pm

League_Girl wrote:

I think the fetish thing is a very very small minority

Most men who end up with overweight G/Fs or wives usually know the girl beforehand and develop love in the old fashioned way.

In all my years I have never met a man who was yearning/pining to get a girl who was overweight.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2021, 11:33 pm

there are "chubby chasers" of both genders and all orientations. ever hear of a song called "the too fat polka"?
lyric goes "i DO want her, you can't have her, she's just right for me!"

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2021, 12:16 pm

cyberdad wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

I think the fetish thing is a very very small minority

Most men who end up with overweight G/Fs or wives usually know the girl beforehand and develop love in the old fashioned way.

In all my years I have never met a man who was yearning/pining to get a girl who was overweight.

I believed ironypony was asking what makes people be attracted to fat person meaning someone sees a person who is fat and gets attracted to them. Not that they met and then they got fat after they had been together.

I see fat people in the HAES community whining about being fetishized but yet when someone does want to date them, they accuse them of fetishizing them but yet if no one wants to date them, they are whining about people being fatphobic. You can't win. It's like a kafka trap they had created.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2021, 12:20 pm

I never liked chubby chasers because what I have seen what usually happens is the fat person decides to lose weight to get healthy and so they can do more things. Their partner who is a chubby chaser will sabotage their treatment and their diet to keep them big. This has lead to divorces on My 600 Lb Life because their partner had a thing about fat people and didn't like that they were losing weight and were losing their attraction to them.

IMO you should not be dating people for looks only. It leads to disasters because people change all the time, people put on weight, people age, women have kids, so of course our bodies will change. And menopause happens so the woman will put on a little bit of weight and get extra body fat in their belly. And even if they do manage to stay skinny and weight the same as they did at 21, don't expect them to still look good when they are 50. The wrinkles, visible veins. Celebrities have skewed our perception on age.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2021, 3:33 pm

A year ago, I weight 320lbs... I developed gastroparesis (slow digestion that was making me very nauseous) type II diabetes, and other assorted issues... Heck I was embarrassed because when I fell down, I couldn't get back up without help...

Anyway I've been working on it, and I'm down to 250 (70lb difference!) I'm still overweight, but my ability to walk has improved a lot, I my type II is under control, gastroparesis improved and now I can get up off the ground easily... The other day I took a 3mile hike in the heat (though I did bring water and stopped to rest a couple times)

Anyway it feels better to weigh less!

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2021, 6:43 pm

Angnix wrote:
A year ago, I weight 320lbs... I developed gastroparesis (slow digestion that was making me very nauseous) type II diabetes, and other assorted issues... Heck I was embarrassed because when I fell down, I couldn't get back up without help...Anyway I've been working on it, and I'm down to 250 (70lb difference!) I'm still overweight, but my ability to walk has improved a lot, I my type II is under control, gastroparesis improved and now I can get up off the ground easily... The other day I took a 3mile hike in the heat (though I did bring water and stopped to rest a couple times) Anyway it feels better to weigh less!

THAT is FAN-TAS-TIC! :wtg:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2021, 7:56 pm

Angnix wrote:
A year ago, I weight 320lbs... I developed gastroparesis (slow digestion that was making me very nauseous) type II diabetes, and other assorted issues... Heck I was embarrassed because when I fell down, I couldn't get back up without help...

Anyway I've been working on it, and I'm down to 250 (70lb difference!) I'm still overweight, but my ability to walk has improved a lot, I my type II is under control, gastroparesis improved and now I can get up off the ground easily... The other day I took a 3mile hike in the heat (though I did bring water and stopped to rest a couple times)

Anyway it feels better to weigh less!

Well done :D

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2021, 8:11 pm

League_Girl wrote:
I see fat people in the HAES community whining about being fetishized but yet when someone does want to date them, they accuse them of fetishizing them but yet if no one wants to date them, they are whining about people being fatphobic. You can't win. It's like a kafka trap they had created.

I think the OP was talking about the "Fat acceptance movement" rather than just this HAES group you keep referring back to.

The bottom line/underlying issue is for those of us fortunate enough to be not encumbered by weight problems should avoid making assumptions about other people based on their appearance,

The reality for overweight people is that they are judged on their appearance. There are people in the normal weight range who will selectively ignore/be rude to people who are overweight in a social setting or at work. Instead of motivating overweight people to lose weight, all this does is make them internalise the stigma and they respond either by thumbing their noses at people giving them advice by maintaining their unhealthy lifestyle or use food as a coping mechanism for social stress.

The temptation to laugh/mock fat acceptance movements isn't constructive. Parents are responsible for their own children's health. Attacking the fat acceptance movement for influencing their kids is simply blaming some obscure organisation for why their kids are making bad choices rather than taking responsibility.

ArtsyFarsty
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Jun 2021, 10:14 pm

cyberdad wrote:

The woman in the second photo is Kate Middleton and its a before she got married to Prince William and after shot when she started going in the public eye. There's evidence she started starving herself to become thin once she became a centre of attention for the British media. She had severe morning sickness which a doctor suspected was linked to having poor nutrition during her pregnancy.

The women in the photos became thinner once they became popular so my point is they have been knowingly setting toxic weight standards for their fans. I am not talking about women who have always been the same weight.

I don’t think that’s fair at all. That standard, for young white women to be as thin as humanly possible, had already been set years before any of them became famous. More accurately, they succumbed to that standard as a reaction to the scrutiny their fame brought them.

Also, Kate Middleton suffered from hyperemesis gravidarum during her pregnancies. The condition is not caused by poor nutrition, but is believed to be genetic.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2021, 3:14 am

ArtsyFarsty wrote:
that’s fair at all. That standard, for young white women to be as thin as humanly possible, had already been set years before any of them became famous. More accurately, they succumbed to that standard as a reaction to the scrutiny their fame brought them..

That doesn't give a free pass for girls/women in positions where they know they are role models to starve themselves. Granted many of them have a compulsive need so they are likely to be influenced by the same standards you already pointed out were set years before by Twiggy and Jane Fonda.

ArtsyFarsty wrote:
Also, Kate Middleton suffered from hyperemesis gravidarum during her pregnancies. The condition is not caused by poor nutrition, but is believed to be genetic.

I don't know for sure, one of the royal biographers interviewed her boarding school friends who claimed she had bulimia to cope with bullying from other girls in a prestigious private school.

ArtsyFarsty
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Jun 2021, 5:14 pm

cyberdad wrote:
That doesn't give a free pass for girls/women in positions where they know they are role models to starve themselves. Granted many of them have a compulsive need so they are likely to be influenced by the same standards you already pointed out were set years before by Twiggy and Jane Fonda.

What free pass? These women face merciless body scrutiny by tabloids and media general, like purposefully unflattering angles being published, or pregnancy speculations if they’re a little bloated or had a big lunch, or heavily photoshopped images of them being published. You know, like the one you posted of Kiera Knightly. Google the original photo; you know: the unphotoshopped one where she looks lean and athletic, no skeletal.

Now, bear in mind that every nasty gram published by tabloids is going to be seen by young women and girls, who see those “bump watches” of thin, not-pregnant celebrities and they think “OMG, if they think she looks thick, I must be enormous.” The blame belongs squarely at the feet of the salacious “journalists” who make a living picking apart the appearance of celebrities and publicly humiliating them for any perceived physical flaws.

[quote="cyberdad”]
I don't know for sure, one of the royal biographers interviewed her boarding school friends who claimed she had bulimia to cope with bullying from other girls in a prestigious private school.[/quote]
I’m not sure if you are implying that she was using hyperemesis gravidarum as a cover for bulimia, or that an rumored history of bulimia was the cause. But, there are biomarkers for identifying hyperemesis gravidarum, including two specific genes (GDF15 and IGFBP7) that are detectable in abnormally high serum levels in HG patients.

Research does not support, however, a link between bulimia and HG.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2021, 7:18 pm

ArtsyFarsty wrote:
These women face merciless body scrutiny by tabloids and media general, like purposefully unflattering angles being published, or pregnancy speculations if they’re a little bloated or had a big lunch, or heavily photoshopped images of them being published. .

At some point in the 1960s the aesthetic look of the anorexic catwalk model became the benchmark for all young girls. Clothing manufacturers likely found that thinner girls looked better in women's clothing (the coat hanger frame) so were better for sales.

The camera in those days picked up every bump/blemish so the search was for "perfect" women for fashion, TV and advertising.

I've known girls who became acutely aware of even the smallest blemish or fat stored anywhere on their body well before the internet age. The die has long been cast.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2021, 11:09 pm

Well as far as acceptance goes, I started going out with this woman who is overweight, and I think she's really cool, but and I like her but I can't help but think that my friends and family think it's weird that I would pick her, because I feel they are judging her by her weight. Does anyone else feel this way in similar situations?