Page 5 of 32 [ 499 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 32  Next

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2021, 6:27 pm

dorkseid wrote:
All Christians cherry-pick the elements of Christianity they like and ignore what they don't. Including AngelRho. In fact, that's exactly what he's doing in this very thread.

Perhaps for different purposes though.

I don't know how organised religion manages to function. Everybody surely has their own unique profile of values, so when a sect says "we all believe in this set of things," I wonder how many of the flock are just thinking "I'm not too sold on that part, but I'd better not say anything," thus making the whole thing a bit of an illusion.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2021, 9:45 pm

dorkseid wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Well to some it is nothing, but to me it is a big deal...I didn't stop being a Christian for no reason. It was specifically a lot about the treatment of women in the bible that was a big part of why I came to reject the religion.

A friend of mine remained (sort of) Christian but she always referred to God as "Godess," and generally chose the elements of Christianity she agreed with and ignored the rest. She said it didn't go down well with most Christians she knew, who usually don't approve of that kind of independent thinking, and insist it's got to be about taking up the opinions of a spiritual authority. I don't understand how anybody could even be able to let others do their thinking for them like that, let alone want them to.

All Christians cherry-pick the elements of Christianity they like and ignore what they don't. Including AngelRho. In fact, that's exactly what he's doing in this very thread.

How so? Have you actually read the Bible? Where are all these millions and millions of women being put to death for not being virgins?

dorkseid
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2021, 10:45 pm

AngelRho wrote:
How so? Have you actually read the Bible? Where are all these millions and millions of women being put to death for not being virgins?

I already responded to that.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2021, 11:12 pm

AngelRho wrote:
dorkseid wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Well to some it is nothing, but to me it is a big deal...I didn't stop being a Christian for no reason. It was specifically a lot about the treatment of women in the bible that was a big part of why I came to reject the religion.

A friend of mine remained (sort of) Christian but she always referred to God as "Godess," and generally chose the elements of Christianity she agreed with and ignored the rest. She said it didn't go down well with most Christians she knew, who usually don't approve of that kind of independent thinking, and insist it's got to be about taking up the opinions of a spiritual authority. I don't understand how anybody could even be able to let others do their thinking for them like that, let alone want them to.

Believe it or not there was a female Greek philosopher named Hypatia who was brutally murdered by christians because she was a virgin
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypatia

Poor women can't win...

Last edited by cyberdad on 11 Jul 2021, 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2021, 3:09 am

I just find it funny and laughable a poster here, thought I was making a whole big thing of nothing when criticizing Christianity. But i mean those are the criticisms I always had which ultimately led me to reject the religion...so like it was never just 'nothing' to me growing up.

So for someone to say that is pretty laughable, it certainly wasn't funny when I was growing up getting taught those toxic things.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2021, 3:20 am

cyberdad wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
dorkseid wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

Believe it or not there was a female Greek philosopher names Hypatia who was brutally murdered by christians because she was a virgin
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypatia

Poor women can't win...

That does not surprise me in the least...that said it does make me want to hear more of her story, so now new nerd topic for me....I guess I will look at her story. But yeah that sort of thing does not even phase me, like I talk about it being messed up but it's not the blood that bothers me its the injustice. Like seemed a woman back than was damned if they do and damned if they don't to paraphrase a Alan Parsons Project song.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2021, 3:21 am

I don't think christianity is a very safe space for women, LGBTQI or the "sons of ham". The good book has been used as a weapon against aforementioned individuals.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2021, 3:24 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
But yeah that sort of thing does not even phase me, like I talk about it being messed up but it's not the blood that bothers me its the injustice. Like seemed a woman back than was damned if they do and damned if they don't to paraphrase a Alan Parsons Project song.

There's a song by Alan Parsons called "children of the moon" (which was unfortunately stolen by the Twilight movies/books) which nicely describes the followers of the holy bible.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2021, 3:28 am

^^^
Yes it is a bit silly to argue about religion, though it's a notoriously thorny subject and you only have to say you are or aren't religious and then give a reason or two, and somebody will very likely start to fight. I was a little reluctant to contribute to this thread at first because I thought the subject looked like it was asking for trouble, but seeing it made me remember when I first consciously noticed that religion was absurd to me, and it felt like a big moment of growth, because although I was only what could be called a believer for a few days when I was a child, it took me years to get clear of the indoctrination that was making me feel guilty and uneasy about being unable to accept religion.

So when one day I first read that religion had been called absurd, I considered it and saw how true that was, something I hadn't quite been conscious of before, and that was one of the things that made me feel a lot better. So throwing religion off myself was a time of quite strong emotions and a lot of careful thought, and I've been very interested in the belief / unbelief thing ever since. So I posted.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2021, 3:34 am

cyberdad wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
But yeah that sort of thing does not even phase me, like I talk about it being messed up but it's not the blood that bothers me its the injustice. Like seemed a woman back than was damned if they do and damned if they don't to paraphrase a Alan Parsons Project song.

There's a song by Alan Parsons called "children of the moon" (which was unfortunately stolen by the Twilight movies/books) which nicely describes the followers of the holy bible.

Well don't think I have heard that one before. so listening now...

But also Twilight ruined vampires for me for so long, like i just don't see how one book series led to my like literally hating anything to do with vampires for a time. Like that stupid crap nearly totally ruined vampires for me...then I saw that show 'What we do in the Shadows' and that fixed the vampires right up so I could still enjoy the idea of vampires. But ick I thought twilight was stupid when it came out when I was a teen, and I still think it is just as stupid. Then of course there is its cousin 50 shades of grey which presumably the last book of that was written so I no longer have to see stuff about it popping up on YouTube hopefully. Like that can of worms is like twilight for mothers in unhappy relationships.

More like 50 shades of OMG there are so many red flags why even pursue that pile of rubbish...should be called 50 shades of NOPE!.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2021, 3:56 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
But also Twilight ruined vampires for me for so long, like i just don't see how one book series led to my like literally hating anything to do with vampires for a time. Like that stupid crap nearly totally ruined vampires for me...then I saw that show 'What we do in the Shadows' and that fixed the vampires right up so I could still enjoy the idea of vampires. But ick I thought twilight was stupid when it came out when I was a teen, and I still think it is just as stupid. Then of course there is its cousin 50 shades of grey which presumably the last book of that was written so I no longer have to see stuff about it popping up on YouTube hopefully. Like that can of worms is like twilight for mothers in unhappy relationships.

Watched the entire Twighlight movies and have to agree, I liked the music scores though.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2021, 4:00 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
^^^
Yes it is a bit silly to argue about religion, though it's a notoriously thorny subject and you only have to say you are or aren't religious and then give a reason or two, and somebody will very likely start to fight. .

I think that's a valid point. My parents are very religious so I by no means condemn people who sincerely want to follow a religion for their own personal reasons.

I share with Christ a dislike for "pharisees" and those who follow religion to gain social benefit.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2021, 4:03 am

cyberdad wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

Watched the entire Twighlight movies and have to agree, I liked the music scores though.

I bet the music scores where the best part....lol. I only actually ever saw a parody movie they did to make fun of twilight. And thought it was funny when it showed the teen girl moving to the smaller town and showed her playlist title being 'angsty teen' music.

From what I gather though that other one had some good like music in it, but still the premise of some guy just pressuring a naive woman to agree to things she doesn't even like seems shady. Like perhaps it would have been a better thing if the woman character was actually into the sort of relationship she was in rather than just being a miserable victim of a thing she wasn't into.

But in twilight there was the whole thing of two guys competing for like the attention of a woman who may or may not have cared about one or both of them. But like did the female character ever have her own thoughts or think about it?...just seems it was written by a bunch of horney teenage boys like I feel the harry potter that was my generations sorta big thing that came out but at least harry potter had more depth than just basically boys and girls trying to impress each other.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2021, 5:35 am

cyberdad wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:
^^^
Yes it is a bit silly to argue about religion, though it's a notoriously thorny subject and you only have to say you are or aren't religious and then give a reason or two, and somebody will very likely start to fight. .

I think that's a valid point. My parents are very religious so I by no means condemn people who sincerely want to follow a religion for their own personal reasons.

I share with Christ a dislike for "pharisees" and those who follow religion to gain social benefit.

I think Christ was a good character, and I mean part of why I left christianity was because for al the talking up of Jesus they did, they didn't bother to ever genuinely act crist-like themselves. They would talk it up on sunday and the rest of the time would be just as sh***y as the rest of the people...and I thought we were supposed to follow Jesus's message of peace and acceptance so it confused me when the adults didn't actually do that outside of church events. Later I learned the word for that is hypocrisy.

And of course the thoughts like...this is the same as the santa claus, and the leprechaun on St patricks day and the baskets left by my parents)easter bunny So for sure that was kind of like....so is god like the easter bunny as in Not Real. Why did you guys lie to me?

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2021, 5:55 am

dorkseid wrote:
AngelRho wrote:

I already responded to that.

Not in any meaningful way. Everything you have said is based on the false assumption that the Bible cannot possibly be true. That’s circular reasoning.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2021, 6:28 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
I think Christ was a good character, and I mean part of why I left christianity was because for al the talking up of Jesus they did, they didn't bother to ever genuinely act crist-like themselves. They would talk it up on sunday and the rest of the time would be just as sh***y as the rest of the people...and I thought we were supposed to follow Jesus's message of peace and acceptance so it confused me when the adults didn't actually do that outside of church events. Later I learned the word for that is hypocrisy.

There is a story of the missing years of christ where he is thought to have travelled to India (in ancient times there were trading colonies of jews) and learned about pacifism and non-violence. Its tempting because christ was the first evert figure in either the middle east or Europe who believed in pacifism, non-violence and the universal brotherhood of all men. Many Indians actually believe this story and consider him to be a hindu sage.

Sweetleaf wrote:
And of course the thoughts like...this is the same as the santa claus, and the leprechaun on St patricks day and the baskets left by my parents)easter bunny So for sure that was kind of like....so is god like the easter bunny as in Not Real. Why did you guys lie to me?

Easter is ancient fertility rite/festival relating the germanic goddess of fertility "Eostre" from where we get the word Easter and the female hormone estrogen. Hence the association with eggs and rabbits.