How could any American ever vote republican again?

Page 5 of 15 [ 229 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 15  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2021, 7:22 am

their grassroots supporters then have made a deal with the devil.

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2021, 8:48 am

cyberdad wrote:
TheRobotLives wrote:
Trump may have won the last election if not for mail in voting.

He did win *in person voting* totals.

"Two-thirds of Trump voters say they voted in person, compared with 42% of Biden voters"
https://www.pewresearch.org/politics/20 ... e-in-2020/

So, don't read too much into Biden's win.

GOP will probably try and stop all mail in voting next election.

This assumes your fantasy of voter mail fraud is true. It's already been thoroughly debunked.

So has the Trump/Russian Collusion Hoax but the Left is still beating that dead horse.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2021, 8:55 am

Mr Reynholm wrote:
... So has the Trump/Russian Collusion Hoax but the Left is still beating that dead horse.
Speaking of persistent equine abuse, lookie  HERE .

The right has beaten that dead horse into the ground!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2021, 8:56 am

goldfish21 wrote:
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/fauci-cpac-vaccines_n_60eb70f6e4b0cb627483a9ae?d_id=2379287&ncid_tag=fcbklnkushpmg00000013&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&utm_campaign=us_politics&fbclid=IwAR2GzqmxfZjYu1Pc0RJMn_RqfDc2nvqumwwyU8crXa6ixFZV_9Xyi7zBwjM

republicans are literally killing people by advising against getting a covid-19 vaccine. How could anyone vote for any member of that party at either a state or federal level ever again? :? Like wtf? Why would people let that slide? Oh, you discouraged people from accepting scientific fact during a pandemic and the result was that a lot more people died for no reason and you want me to vote for you? Hmmmm, let me think about that... how about NO! 8O

Stick with Canadian politics. It’s what your best at. :lol:

The Republican platform has numerous planks that are attractive to individualists, hence the main reason I vote Republican. But they lack the courage to stand on principle. It shouldn’t be this hard to achieve the goals of limited government and restore welfare responsibilities to those who possess both wealth and the willingness to use it to improve conditions for marginalized people. People in America are often prevented from doing the right thing by laws that make certain things illegal. Rather than making a concerted effort against repressive government policies, Republicans use it as a way of exploiting a galvanized voter base to stay in power. Why voters insist on keeping them in power knowing that they will choose not to make good on campaign promises is beyond my comprehension. I don’t understand why more libertarians don’t attempt a hostile takeover of the Republican Party. It would make a bigger difference in actually changing policy than candidates only symbolically running third-party campaigns. The very best libertarian 3rd party candidates wouldn’t know what to do with the country if they actually won the election, hence why they never get elected for anything. If they pressured the Republican Party from the inside, they’d have a better chance of policy change. Once Americans start reaping the benefits of individual freedom, the Republican Party would become much more popular. As it is now, even Republican voters have to weigh very carefully if they want to vote along party lines. It’s not like we exactly have good options.

I would rather have seen Michelle Bachmann win the POTUS election. It seems she has retired from politics. If more actual GOOD Republicans disappeared from politics, the US would lose its political moral backbone. It’s easiest winning a war when your enemy is committed to destroying itself. I’d love to witness what would happen to the Democrat party left to its own devices and splitting into competing factions without having an imaginary common enemy. As it stands, the Republican Party suffers from factional disunity among establishment Republicans and RINOs who share their love for power and an easy life in politics with Democrats, and younger candidates who struggle to maintain their principles in the face of a corrupt political system. Republicans will eventually regain political power. Both parties always do. But it won’t be the Republican Party we're familiar with in the present context. Both parties seem to be enjoying a period of relative dormancy. The risk is that inactivity costs Democrats come midterms, but Republicans are faring about the same for now. My working hypothesis is both parties like where they are and are fighting changing the status quo a lot more than they’re fighting each other.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2021, 9:06 am

i wish we HAD canadian politics.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2021, 9:14 am

auntblabby wrote:
I do not.

More unmarked graves discovered in British Columbia 

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

14 Jul 2021, 9:18 am

Here, we have a PR system, a somewhat stagnant and declining governing party with 60% electoral support, a somewhat stagnant and declining official opposition and a host of dozens of smaller parties (about 14 of them with at least one representative in Parliament and dozens with no seats there or in any of the nine provincial legislatures).

Many metros and municipalities have no particular party commanding a majority - our ow city has had umpteen different mayors from at least 3 parties (coalitions and changing loyalties) in the past five years

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2021, 9:27 am

^^^sounds like the city citizenry there is basically pushing buttons until they get a result they like.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

14 Jul 2021, 9:34 am

Mayor Athol Trollip of the DA was basically stabbed in the back by his deputy mayor, one of the coalition party men, Bobani. Since then various mayors have come and gone and currently a DA Mayor, Nqaba Bhanga, is back in power.

Similar things have happened elsewhere - e g in Knysna a mayor acting independently of the DA was ousted by the "official" DA some months ago.

Coalition politics is practiced in many countries. Our ruling party is currently too strong to need coalition in Parliament and is also firmly in the saddle in 8 of the 9 provinces, with the DA in firm control of the ninth. But at municipal level, a good number of councils are much more evenly spread and that results in almost endless trading and dealing.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2021, 10:28 am

auntblabby wrote:

I wish we had Swedish politics

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2021, 10:32 am

^^^even better.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2021, 10:37 am

AngelRho wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/fauci-cpac-vaccines_n_60eb70f6e4b0cb627483a9ae?d_id=2379287&ncid_tag=fcbklnkushpmg00000013&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&utm_campaign=us_politics&fbclid=IwAR2GzqmxfZjYu1Pc0RJMn_RqfDc2nvqumwwyU8crXa6ixFZV_9Xyi7zBwjM

republicans are literally killing people by advising against getting a covid-19 vaccine. How could anyone vote for any member of that party at either a state or federal level ever again? :? Like wtf? Why would people let that slide? Oh, you discouraged people from accepting scientific fact during a pandemic and the result was that a lot more people died for no reason and you want me to vote for you? Hmmmm, let me think about that... how about NO! 8O

The Republican platform has numerous planks that are attractive to individualists, hence the main reason I vote Republican. But they lack the courage to stand on principle. It shouldn’t be this hard to achieve the goals of limited government and restore welfare responsibilities to those who possess both wealth and the willingness to use it to improve conditions for marginalized people. People in America are often prevented from doing the right thing by laws that make certain things illegal. Rather than making a concerted effort against repressive government policies, Republicans use it as a way of exploiting a galvanized voter base to stay in power. Why voters insist on keeping them in power knowing that they will choose not to make good on campaign promises is beyond my comprehension. I don’t understand why more libertarians don’t attempt a hostile takeover of the Republican Party. It would make a bigger difference in actually changing policy than candidates only symbolically running third-party campaigns. The very best libertarian 3rd party candidates wouldn’t know what to do with the country if they actually won the election, hence why they never get elected for anything. If they pressured the Republican Party from the inside, they’d have a better chance of policy change. Once Americans start reaping the benefits of individual freedom, the Republican Party would become much more popular. As it is now, even Republican voters have to weigh very carefully if they want to vote along party lines. It’s not like we exactly have good options.

I would rather have seen Michelle Bachmann win the POTUS election. It seems she has retired from politics. If more actual GOOD Republicans disappeared from politics, the US would lose its political moral backbone. It’s easiest winning a war when your enemy is committed to destroying itself. I’d love to witness what would happen to the Democrat party left to its own devices and splitting into competing factions without having an imaginary common enemy. As it stands, the Republican Party suffers from factional disunity among establishment Republicans and RINOs who share their love for power and an easy life in politics with Democrats, and younger candidates who struggle to maintain their principles in the face of a corrupt political system. Republicans will eventually regain political power. Both parties always do. But it won’t be the Republican Party we're familiar with in the present context. Both parties seem to be enjoying a period of relative dormancy. The risk is that inactivity costs Democrats come midterms, but Republicans are faring about the same for now. My working hypothesis is both parties like where they are and are fighting changing the status quo a lot more than they’re fighting each other.

Umm, what?

You vote republican knowing that they don't follow through on promises to improve any of the situations for citizens that you elect them to do.

Wtf?

Your main reason for voting republican is they help make sure life remains difficult for you and others as you hold on to some fantasy that maybe if you work hard enough you Might be able to escape poverty.. but you're only cool with it if it means you can and others can't.

Wtf?

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2021, 12:31 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

Umm, what?

You vote republican knowing that they don't follow through on promises to improve any of the situations for citizens that you elect them to do.

Wtf?

Your main reason for voting republican is they help make sure life remains difficult for you and others as you hold on to some fantasy that maybe if you work hard enough you Might be able to escape poverty.. but you're only cool with it if it means you can and others can't.

Wtf?

I hold out hope that Republicans will come to their senses. As bad as things are, Republicans remain a better option than anyone else out there. There are more libertarians in the Republican Party than in the actual Libertarian Party. And certainly more libertarians vote for Republicans than for Libertarians. It’s like you’re on the Titanic and the only ships that show up to rescue you are the Eastland and the Andrea Doria. There’s nothing wrong with the stated goals of the Republican Party. But fighting for a cause proves useless when the only available means of reaching them are unreliable. You take what you can get and hope for the best.

American political trends swing along a pendulum. Both parties have maneuvered themselves into a state of nearly perfectly equal balance. Biden has executive power and an only slightly unstable Congress with a majority opposition Supreme Court. Congress has almost always shifted in the opposite direction of the executive, and mass population movements has begun to skew the power some states have to influence the balance of power in Congress. Maybe not enough to significantly matter right now, but it’s like trying to eat an elephant. As Democratic leadership shows weakness and ineffectiveness, you’ll get a Republican Congress, a Republican President, and you can never assume that SCOTUS is going away any time soon. This happens in American politics almost without fail. I don’t concern myself of “if” Republicans win elections. It’s always a question of when and how many elections cycles it takes to get there. The election of Trump proved that Republicans have nothing left to throw at their opponents. WHEN the next Republican emerges, it’ll have to be someone none of us now living have never even heard of.

THEN, if I’m even alive at that point, I’ll hopefully see policy shifting more the way I like it. Current failings are always only temporary.

Of course, eventually the pendulum will swing back to Democrats. But as Republicanism becomes more attractive to voters, Democrats will be forced to adapt in order to pull away Republicans and moderates. At that point in time, you’ll ask how could any American ever vote Democrat again? But it will happen again and again until the United States ceases to exist.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2021, 12:50 pm

the stated goals of the GOP are hostile to working class types like myself. just their social darwinist stance on health care alone permanently ruins them for me.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2021, 4:06 pm

AngelRho wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

Umm, what?

Wtf?

Wtf?

I hold out hope that Republicans will come to their senses. As bad as things are, Republicans remain a better option than anyone else out there. There are more libertarians in the Republican Party than in the actual Libertarian Party. And certainly more libertarians vote for Republicans than for Libertarians. It’s like you’re on the Titanic and the only ships that show up to rescue you are the Eastland and the Andrea Doria. There’s nothing wrong with the stated goals of the Republican Party. But fighting for a cause proves useless when the only available means of reaching them are unreliable. You take what you can get and hope for the best.

American political trends swing along a pendulum. Both parties have maneuvered themselves into a state of nearly perfectly equal balance. Biden has executive power and an only slightly unstable Congress with a majority opposition Supreme Court. Congress has almost always shifted in the opposite direction of the executive, and mass population movements has begun to skew the power some states have to influence the balance of power in Congress. Maybe not enough to significantly matter right now, but it’s like trying to eat an elephant. As Democratic leadership shows weakness and ineffectiveness, you’ll get a Republican Congress, a Republican President, and you can never assume that SCOTUS is going away any time soon. This happens in American politics almost without fail. I don’t concern myself of “if” Republicans win elections. It’s always a question of when and how many elections cycles it takes to get there. The election of Trump proved that Republicans have nothing left to throw at their opponents. WHEN the next Republican emerges, it’ll have to be someone none of us now living have never even heard of.

THEN, if I’m even alive at that point, I’ll hopefully see policy shifting more the way I like it. Current failings are always only temporary.

Of course, eventually the pendulum will swing back to Democrats. But as Republicanism becomes more attractive to voters, Democrats will be forced to adapt in order to pull away Republicans and moderates. At that point in time, you’ll ask how could any American ever vote Democrat again? But it will happen again and again until the United States ceases to exist.

Soooo, you know they lie to you and don't do what they promise yet somehow they've earned your vote in hopes that maaaybe they'll do better once in office? :chin:

Crazytalk.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2021, 4:27 pm

since john steinbeck sussed us as a bunch of backstabbing social climbers, nothing really has changed other than it has gotten even more cut-throat, more "get rich or die trying" than ever before.