How could any American ever vote republican again?

Page 12 of 15 [ 229 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2021, 6:15 pm

cyberdad wrote:
We true Aussies a diametrically opposed to the horrible English habit of drinking warm ale.

Even on the coldest Melbourne nights I drink my beer icy cold

Ive heard that that is a misconception. That Brits DON'T drink beer 'warm'. They drink it "room temperature".

And "room temperature" in Britain is never the same thing as "warm" any time of year. :lol:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2021, 6:20 pm

it still tastes like swill like that.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2021, 6:29 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I find there are plenty of conservatives here.

It’s more a two-way street. Conservatives and liberals battle it out on an equal basis here.

I'd say it's equal thirds, with many of us free thinkers.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2021, 6:55 pm

^
I'm always amused to see the left-right divide expressed as Conservative-Liberal, because in the UK the Liberals are practically the same thing as the Conservatives, and certainly some distance to the right the Labour Party, which is itself not very left-wing since they got rid of Corbyn. And there's nothing particularly liberal about the left or right, in real terms. Either can be liberal or authoritarian. But hey, we live in a world in which a conventional electric current is expressed as flowing from positive to negative, which is the opposite of what really happens. Apparently by the time they found out it was too late to go back and change all the circuit diagrams.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2021, 7:48 pm

I’m a free-thinker.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2021, 7:50 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I’m a free-thinker.

I meant people who don't follow politics, or affiliate with either wing.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2021, 8:05 pm

I’m an independent politically. I have some opinions which are supposedly left-wing….and some which are supposedly right-wing.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2021, 8:10 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I’m an independent politically. I have some opinions which are supposedly left-wing….and some which are supposedly right-wing.

But you follow politics, it's important to you, and you voted for Biden to get rid of Trump.

That's totally fine and cool.

I'm just saying lots of us don't get into it at all.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2021, 8:12 pm

working class amuuuuricans MUST follow politics for self-preservation. there is one entire political party that is out to screw them up one side and down the other. the other political party isn't sufficiently strong to prevent the first party's depredations upon/systematic disenfranchisement of the working class.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2021, 8:16 pm

auntblabby wrote:
working class amuuuuricans MUST follow politics for self-preservation. there is one entire political party that is out to screw them up one side and down the other. the other political party isn't sufficiently strong to prevent the first party's depredations upon/systematic disenfranchisement of the working class.

I understand that. I was just about to edit my last post. I meant that many of us aren't even American. It doesn't affect us directly and it all just sounds like a circus. Of course we care about individual causes like justice or human rights, but we don't follow the PPR debates on WP because they tend to be almost exclusively American.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2021, 8:18 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

I understand that. I was just about to edit my last post. I meant that many of us aren't even American. It doesn't affect us directly and it all just sounds like a circus. Of course we care about individual causes like justice or human rights, but we don't follow the PPR debates on WP because they tend to be almost exclusively American.

i grok that, what mystifies me is why there isn't more discussion of canadian or aussie politics, considering the numbers of those two groups on WP.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2021, 8:22 pm

No one gives a crap, it seems. Elections pass and there's not a single comment on here. People make fun of Australian news sources. The UK gets some traction but only for big events like Brexit, and then it's gone again. There really is an assumption on the part of many posters that America is the biggest / best / only country in the world, and it starts sounding like a joke after a while.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2021, 8:24 pm

There’s some discussion of Aussie politics, actually.

And a little bit of UK and Canadian politics, too.

I don’t have the mindset that the US is the “best” country. I follow international news.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2021, 8:30 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
No one gives a crap, it seems. Elections pass and there's not a single comment on here. People make fun of Australian news sources. The UK gets some traction but only for big events like Brexit, and then it's gone again. There really is an assumption on the part of many posters that America is the biggest / best / only country in the world, and it starts sounding like a joke after a while.

that needs to change.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2021, 8:31 pm

For example I just did a search for "Canadian election", and got nothing.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2021, 8:35 pm

i would not say that was fair or even-handed. i miss being able to watch CBC to get a taste of Up North's news/life. no more cable. outside of direct antenna reception range.