Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2023, 8:54 pm

A quote from the article which I agree with:

"Yom Kippur, known as the Day of Atonement, is predicated upon the idea that we can be forgiven, atone for our sins, and ultimately be redeemed. But in a cancel culture world, the opposite is true. The inverse happens if you admit that you’ve done something wrong, whether intentional or inadvertent, and punishment is a never-ending story.

In a world fueled by this cruel phenomenon, you never receive forgiveness. Your admission of guilt instead becomes confirmation that you are a flawed person who deserves to be permanently punished. This flies in the face of Jewish tradition."

Link to the article below:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainment/tv/god-is-against-cancel-culture-opinion/ar-AA1gUNO5?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=f537c93330794dd9af2cfdc36c477aa8&ei=43

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2023, 10:40 pm

"Cancel culture" has a few different meanings, including (1) the very existence of boycotts and (2) the unforgiving attitude described above. It is possible to have one without the other.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2023, 2:41 am

From what I've seen usually when people aren't given a second chance it's either because their actions were particularly horrific or because they never expressed contrition.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2023, 2:45 am

"Cancel Culture" has been a thing by other names since forever.

• Banishment (from a country)

• Censorship (from speaking and/or writing)

• Dismissal (from employment)

• Divorce (from a spouse)

• Excommunication (from religious institutions)

• Expulsion (from formal social organizations)

• Ostracism (from informal social groups)

• Restraining Order (from a victim)

• The Silent Treatment (from another person)

It is nothing new, just the same old treatment under a new label.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2023, 6:09 am

"Cancel culture" is a vague and derogatory term.

But you're apply your own unique definition to it. According to you "cancel culture" means "punishing individuals PLUS never forgiving them even if they are contrite". The later addition makes it "cancel culture".

The Christian (though maybe not the Jewish) interpretation of Genesis is exactly that. Adam and Eve disobeyed God. And not only did God never stop punishing them...we...their descendents ....are STILL being punished by God for what THEY did hundreds of generations later. So, by your definition, God invented "cancel culture" right there in the Old Testament.

On the other hand... there may be examples of your definition of it. Roseanne Barr seems to be in the permanent dog house, just for something she said once on Twitter years ago. Its not like she was a heterosexual male who was seen partying with Jeffery Epstein ( ie actually DID bad stuff instead of just saying a bad thing). Yeah. That does seem unfair.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2023, 9:01 am

naturalplastic wrote:
"Cancel culture" is a vague and derogatory term.

I agree.

naturalplastic wrote:
But you're apply your own unique definition to it. According to you "cancel culture" means "punishing individuals PLUS never forgiving them even if they are contrite". The later addition makes it "cancel culture".

I was thinking mostly of people who get cancelled for their political views or religious views and are 'shunned' from communities, when I made this thread. When a person is cancelled, they have no agency to atone for whatever they did wrong. They simply 'disappear' and then are forgotten about, over time. I didn't really consider people immediately being conditionally contrite as a reason for being 'un-cancelled', rather, the willingness to atone for ones sins, in the future, at whatever time, would be a reason to give a person the freedom not to be cancelled.

naturalplastic wrote:
The Christian (though maybe not the Jewish) interpretation of Genesis is exactly that. Adam and Eve disobeyed God. And not only did God never stop punishing them...we...their descendents ....are STILL being punished by God for what THEY did hundreds of generations later. So, by your definition, God invented "cancel culture" right there in the Old Testament.

Well, a person might interpret that God, as per the Genesis story, cancelled Adam & Eve because of not letting them off the hook for their sins and by punishing further generations? I would interpret the chance for descendants of Adam & Eve to atone for their sins and ask for forgiveness to be an allowance that would effectively 'un-cancel' those people in the eyes of God.

naturalplastic wrote:
On the other hand... there may be examples of your definition of it. Roseanne Barr seems to be in the permanent dog house, just for something she said once on Twitter years ago. Its not like she was a heterosexual male who was seen partying with Jeffery Epstein ( ie actually DID bad stuff instead of just saying a bad thing). Yeah. That does seem unfair.

I think there are a lot of people who have been diminished or cancelled because of their language having been policed. If you search 'big names who have been cancelled' and look at the details of some of the reasons why those people have been cancelled, they often seem trivial, at least to me, anyway.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2023, 10:36 am

God invented cancel-culture but he sent his only begotten son to defeat it.

Unfortunately the Romans put him up on a stick for the lulz.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2023, 11:31 am

funeralxempire wrote:
God invented cancel-culture but he sent his only begotten son to defeat it.

Unfortunately the Romans put him up on a stick for the lulz.

The Romans effectively cancelled Jesus by ending his life.

That's an interesting take on the matter though, I didn't think of it like that.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2023, 11:33 am

This is a funny thread! :)

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2023, 11:34 am

KitLily wrote:
This is a funny thread! :)

:)

Suicidal_Vampire
Raven
Raven

20 Sep 2023, 1:37 pm

I think actions have consequences and people shouldn't burn books. Nuff said.

"Really? I'd like to meet him."