Page 13 of 60 [ 955 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 60  Next

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

15 Aug 2021, 3:59 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
MaxE wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
They're very correct. Both Hillary and Biden are absolutely the worst of the worst when it comes to war. If we don't stop these endless conflicts in the ME

Well Biden just pulled out of Afghanistan with all due haste. Not sure how this supports your characterization of him as a war monger.

He's dropped bombs twice on Syria, already, and he's also bombed Somalia. He voted in favor of the Iraq War, and supported every war since. I think that's a pretty good argument.

If someone fires a rocket at you and kills a civilian, is it acceptable to fight back, or should you just let them keep killing people?

Do you have any idea how many civilians we've killed in these countries? I find your ignorance and support of this s**t utterly revolting.

No civilians have died in any of Biden’s strikes. In general, US air strikes tend to have very low civilian casualties.

Between 2016 and 2020, 2,122 civilians were killed in air strikes over 48 months. A high estimate is that 69% - let’s round up to 70% - were killed by the US. The Trump presidency dramatically loosened rules of engagement which resulted in a big increase in civilian deaths. Obviously I would support tightening those restrictions to get back to the Obama-era level.

Between 1 May 2021 and 5 Aug 2021, 1,031 civilians were been killed by the Taliban. Let’s call that four months even though it’s really just over three.

So, in 60 months, US airstrikes killed 2122*0.7= 1486 civilians in Afghanistan.

In 4 months following America pulling out of Afghanistan as you have been demanding for years, 1,031 civilians have been killed by the Taliban.

So, in short, doing things your way for three months has proven 42 times more deadly than doing things Donald Trump’s way, even if I deliberately choose numbers to make your idea seem better and round in your favour. I think Trump was terrible at foreign policy, but you’re 42 times worse.

Source on airstrikes: https://aoav.org.uk/2021/40-of-all-civi ... -children/

And source on Afghanistan casualties under the Taliban offensive: https://web.archive.org/web/20210805212 ... ugust.html

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2021, 4:26 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
I think there’s some pretty significant differences between the two. Biden was elected as a Senator at 29 and has a laundry list of achievements in the Senate. He knew what he was getting into when he ran for President

Long list of achievements? Such as the crime bill he spent his entire campaign apologizing for, the Thomas confirmation that he spent his campaign apologizing for, and making it harder for people to clear debt via bankruptcy as a favor to his home state donors who base their corporations there to avoid taxes? Can you think of one good thing he actually did in his years in the Senate?

The_Walrus wrote:
It’s also worth remembering that Tara Reade has a long history of lying under oath and repeatedly changed her story after failing to attract media attention. Trump, contrastingly, has multiple credible accusations against him.

Say what you will, that story was virtually ignored by the mainstream media, which then seized on the thinnest of evidence to dismiss it (she once wrote something nice about Putin!), despite the fact that Tara Reade had much more corroboration of her story than Christine Blasey Ford did with her accusation against Brett Kavanaugh, which was and is still treated as gospel.

https://www.vox.com/2020/5/7/21248713/t ... accusation

The_Walrus wrote:
There’s certainly some comparison on the bravado thing. I’m pretty sure “fat” was just him trying to say “fact” but his speech impediment getting in the way. But both Biden and Trump have that straight-talking thing going for them. I personally can’t blame the Democrats for going for “Uncle Joe” after Hillary struggled with a perception of insincerity.

There's a whole lot more, there was the steel worker he called "full of sh*t" for accurately questioning his gun policy, there was the whole "lying dog faced pony soldier thing", the multiple times he said he wanted to physically fight Trump, I mean quite a bit of this is on video, and there are many incidents. I don't think you can really frame a lot of it as mere "straight talk" either, it's downright bizarre.

The_Walrus wrote:
The guy is way too left wing and way too dovish for my tastes. The current debacle in Afghanistan is going to go down as a big black mark in his book (and is also probably going to inflate Obama’s reputation further). There are Republicans I would prefer to Biden - you’d be better off with Charlie Baker as President and much better off with Hillary Clinton. But Biden is both cut from a different cloth to Trump (fundamentally Biden is a pragmatic politician and Trump is an attention-seeking bluffer) and where they have similar flaws, Biden does not have them to the same extent.

Heh, the guy is an empty suit, has been his entire political career, he's not left wing he's just being blown in that direction because that's who currently has the energy in the party, though I agree that the Afghan withdrawal is going to be a stain on his legacy (and Obama's, when the truth about his term is more broadly known).

What I'm saying here is not that Biden is as bad as Trump, what I'm saying is that he's truly a lesser evil in that he actually has many of the same flaws, just less severely and obviously, and that Democrats need to get off their collective high horse about him. I've just been amazed at how many people I know personally were disparaging him as no better than Trump right up until he clinched the primary, then turned "vote blue no matter who" (truly the most cultish political slogan of my lifetime), and now are acting as if he's actually good and they were excited to vote for him, it's the political revisionism that I've gotten to see up close and in real time that's so offended me here.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2021, 11:07 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
MaxE wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
The guy is way too left wing and way too dovish for my tastes.

So ironic. I often eat dinner with people who dismiss Biden as a Neoconservative who is indistinguishable from Hillary Clinton in terms of his interventionist foreign policy.

They're very correct. Both Hillary and Biden are absolutely the worst of the worst when it comes to war. If we don't stop these endless conflicts in the ME, we probably have no more than a couple of decades, as Chris Hedges has contended, before the empire crashes. All you have to do is look at history. We're replicating the models of past failed empires.

We need a massive anti-war movement in this country, and we need to stop voting for Democrats and Republicans.

America was going down the financial gurgler because of the wars they were involved in.
Trump was a businessman, rather than a warmonger, and wanted to get out to focus on America becoming economically strong again.

Keep in mind, I am not a Trump fan, just saying it as it is. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2021, 11:13 pm

MaxE wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
They're very correct. Both Hillary and Biden are absolutely the worst of the worst when it comes to war. If we don't stop these endless conflicts in the ME

Well Biden just pulled out of Afghanistan with all due haste. Not sure how this supports your characterization of him as a war monger.

And the Afghani people are going to pay heavily for that hasty withdrawl.
Shades of Saigon.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2021, 11:15 pm

MaxE wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
The guy is way too left wing and way too dovish for my tastes.

So ironic. I often eat dinner with people who dismiss Biden as a Neoconservative who is indistinguishable from Hillary Clinton in terms of his interventionist foreign policy.

Maybe Uncle Joe isn't a hyperpartisan?

MaxE wrote:
Jakki wrote:
not big fan of biden..Trump was really something else . :roll: Had gotten the impression that Trump was a real thorn in Chinas side .but now am wondering if this Cuomo thing , was mask to get him into the next Presidential Race . ? He might prove all the allegations against him as false . And he was very popular in New York , i think . ?

Not sure who you're talking about. Trump - never popular in NY. Cuomo is just as unpopular these days. As for China, Trump was a clueless idiot the CCP bigwigs had a few laughs about after a couple drinks at the end of a long day. I doubt the Chinese spend a lot of time worrying about Biden. I don't think they take any Western leader all that seriously.

Who does?
American politics is a global joke in general, and its people are determined to bring the country to its knees.
Tragic...

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2021, 12:24 am

Pepe wrote:
MaxE wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:

And the Afghani people are going to pay heavily for that hasty withdrawl.
Shades of Saigon.

I think this image probably demonstrates it better:

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

16 Aug 2021, 8:04 am

Dox47 wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
I think there’s some pretty significant differences between the two. Biden was elected as a Senator at 29 and has a laundry list of achievements in the Senate. He knew what he was getting into when he ran for President

Long list of achievements? Such as the crime bill he spent his entire campaign apologizing for, the Thomas confirmation that he spent his campaign apologizing for, and making it harder for people to clear debt via bankruptcy as a favor to his home state donors who base their corporations there to avoid taxes? Can you think of one good thing he actually did in his years in the Senate?

The_Walrus wrote:
It’s also worth remembering that Tara Reade has a long history of lying under oath and repeatedly changed her story after failing to attract media attention. Trump, contrastingly, has multiple credible accusations against him.

Say what you will, that story was virtually ignored by the mainstream media, which then seized on the thinnest of evidence to dismiss it (she once wrote something nice about Putin!), despite the fact that Tara Reade had much more corroboration of her story than Christine Blasey Ford did with her accusation against Brett Kavanaugh, which was and is still treated as gospel.

https://www.vox.com/2020/5/7/21248713/t ... accusation

The_Walrus wrote:
There’s certainly some comparison on the bravado thing. I’m pretty sure “fat” was just him trying to say “fact” but his speech impediment getting in the way. But both Biden and Trump have that straight-talking thing going for them. I personally can’t blame the Democrats for going for “Uncle Joe” after Hillary struggled with a perception of insincerity.

There's a whole lot more, there was the steel worker he called "full of sh*t" for accurately questioning his gun policy, there was the whole "lying dog faced pony soldier thing", the multiple times he said he wanted to physically fight Trump, I mean quite a bit of this is on video, and there are many incidents. I don't think you can really frame a lot of it as mere "straight talk" either, it's downright bizarre.

The_Walrus wrote:
The guy is way too left wing and way too dovish for my tastes. The current debacle in Afghanistan is going to go down as a big black mark in his book (and is also probably going to inflate Obama’s reputation further). There are Republicans I would prefer to Biden - you’d be better off with Charlie Baker as President and much better off with Hillary Clinton. But Biden is both cut from a different cloth to Trump (fundamentally Biden is a pragmatic politician and Trump is an attention-seeking bluffer) and where they have similar flaws, Biden does not have them to the same extent.

Heh, the guy is an empty suit, has been his entire political career, he's not left wing he's just being blown in that direction because that's who currently has the energy in the party, though I agree that the Afghan withdrawal is going to be a stain on his legacy (and Obama's, when the truth about his term is more broadly known).

What I'm saying here is not that Biden is as bad as Trump, what I'm saying is that he's truly a lesser evil in that he actually has many of the same flaws, just less severely and obviously, and that Democrats need to get off their collective high horse about him. I've just been amazed at how many people I know personally were disparaging him as no better than Trump right up until he clinched the primary, then turned "vote blue no matter who" (truly the most cultish political slogan of my lifetime), and now are acting as if he's actually good and they were excited to vote for him, it's the political revisionism that I've gotten to see up close and in real time that's so offended me here.

As I recall, Biden actually spent most of his campaign talking up the Crime Bill (though he did apologise on occasion, he also hyped the aspects that are not presently controversial). It’s one of the best examples of the law of unintended consequences; it was extremely popular at the time, particularly with the communities that were experiencing the most crime, but some of its provisions have had utterly devastating and unjust impacts.

I was thinking of, for example, Biden’s strong advocacy for the Balkans, NATO enlargement, Amtrak support, preventing violence against women, etc.

Strongly disagree on Ford vs Reade, let’s just leave it at that because I suspect if we went down that route I’d quite quickly think a lot less of you, which I don’t want to do.

Agree that Biden tends to move with the crowd in the Democratic Party, although he has been at the dovish end of the arty for 15 years now (he was also weirdly against the Gulf War - go figure). I also think his strong Union stance is genuine - he seems much more pro-Unions than most Democrats. But as far as I am concerned, it doesn’t matter whether his flaws are the result of genuine principles or following the crowd. What matters is that the flaws exist. At a time when America needs to bust the police and teachers unions so they stop protecting bad employees, Biden is calling for an expansion of their powers :roll: At a time when about half of Americans don’t have the right to work without joining a named union, Biden wants to abolish right to work outright :roll: These aren’t things that the Schumers or even the Pelosis of the world are calling for, they’re coming from Uncle Joe himself.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2021, 10:16 am

The_Walrus wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
MaxE wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:

He's dropped bombs twice on Syria, already, and he's also bombed Somalia. He voted in favor of the Iraq War, and supported every war since. I think that's a pretty good argument.

If someone fires a rocket at you and kills a civilian, is it acceptable to fight back, or should you just let them keep killing people?

Do you have any idea how many civilians we've killed in these countries? I find your ignorance and support of this s**t utterly revolting.

No civilians have died in any of Biden’s strikes. In general, US air strikes tend to have very low civilian casualties.

Between 2016 and 2020, 2,122 civilians were killed in air strikes over 48 months. A high estimate is that 69% - let’s round up to 70% - were killed by the US. The Trump presidency dramatically loosened rules of engagement which resulted in a big increase in civilian deaths. Obviously I would support tightening those restrictions to get back to the Obama-era level.

Between 1 May 2021 and 5 Aug 2021, 1,031 civilians were been killed by the Taliban. Let’s call that four months even though it’s really just over three.

In 4 months following America pulling out of Afghanistan as you have been demanding for years, 1,031 civilians have been killed by the Taliban.

So, in short, doing things your way for three months has proven 42 times more deadly than doing things Donald Trump’s way, even if I deliberately choose numbers to make your idea seem better and round in your favour. I think Trump was terrible at foreign policy, but you’re 42 times worse.

And source on Afghanistan casualties under the Taliban offensive: https://web.archive.org/web/20210805212 ... ugust.html

If you really believe none of Biden's strikes have killed no civilians, then you are more out of touch than I imagined.

https://www.salon.com/2021/08/12/stop-t ... an-cities/

You're pushing of pro war propanda, and the constant regurgitation of establishment talking points, is really disgusting!

Oscar Meyer Lansky

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2021, 11:18 am

The sad reality is there is no way to vote against the interests of the Military Industrial Complex. If you want to know what the last 20 years of the disastrous regime change policy is really all about, I recommend reading The Partners for a New American Century document. It's chilling!

Oscar Meyer Lansky

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

16 Aug 2021, 12:33 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
MaxE wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:

If you really believe none of Biden's strikes have killed no civilians, then you are more out of touch than I imagined.

You're pushing of pro war propanda, and the constant regurgitation of establishment talking points, is really disgusting!

To be clear, I was talking about the strikes you mentioned in bold, on Syria and Somalia, not Afghanistan. But I do appreciate the correction - it seems one of the strikes in Helmand may have killed a civilian: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/offi ... 98994.html

I do note that you haven’t really attempted to address my central claim, being that withdrawal has killed more people than staying would have. (Heck, the air strike in question might not have been called if you had left troops on the ground.) Do you have anything substantial to add on this point, or are you going to stick to your tried and tested strategy of accusing everyone who points out your mistakes of being “establishment”, whatever that’s supposed to mean?

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2021, 1:06 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
MaxE wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:

To be clear, I was talking about the strikes you mentioned in bold, on Syria and Somalia, not Afghanistan. But I do appreciate the correction - it seems one of the strikes in Helmand may have killed a civilian: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/offi ... 98994.html

I do note that you haven’t really attempted to address my central claim, being that withdrawal has killed more people than staying would have. (Heck, the air strike in question might not have been called if you had left troops on the ground.) Do you have anything substantial to add on this point, or are you going to stick to your tried and tested strategy of accusing everyone who points out your mistakes of being “establishment”, whatever that’s supposed to mean?

Well, I can only stomach reading so much of your posts at a time. I do miss things. Have mercy on me.

You did say Biden's bombs haven't killed any civilians. You also claimed there have been limited casualties in most of military misadventures, which is ridiculous, it's hard to take it seriously. Go look up the estimated casualties for the war in Iraq, which conservative estimates are in the several hundred thousands.

As far as your "central claim" is concerned, that is something you can't really confirm. And I've already agreed that the pullout was not done properly.

You talk about lives lost as in such an abstract. They don't mean a thing to you. What you fail to understand is the last 20 years of American foreign policy has left the entire region in a atate of chaos and bloodshed. If the state of perpetual war doesn't end, the U.S. will not last much longer as an empire. Study your history.

Every country we've gone into the last 20 years is worse off then when we went in. I know you really believe we have altruistic motives for our interventions, but you just don't what you're talking about.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2021, 1:09 pm

Brictoria wrote:
[...] I think this image probably demonstrates it better:
As much as it surprises me, we agree on this.

Both wars were intractable, and America should never have been involved in either one.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2021, 2:52 pm

Well, at least there's no mean Tweets.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2021, 7:37 pm

Quote:
KABUL—According to a survey conducted by local media in Taliban-controlled Kabul, 92% of Taliban fighters are very thankful they decided to vote for Biden in the 2020 election.

"Of course I voted for Biden! Didn't everyone around here?" said Abdul Mohammed Mohammed Abdul Mohammed, a local infantry warrior who just finished storming the capital. "It was very easy. The American soldiers were just leaving garbage bags full of absentee ballots around, so we just filled them out and sent them back! Allah be praised!"

There is wide agreement among the Taliban that Biden was the right man for the job—that job being to give up the country of Afghanistan and let the Taliban take it over without a fight.

"Yes, we like Biden very much around here, and even his henchwoman, Kamil Harris," said another local militant.

The Taliban reports being in very good spirits after taking over an entire country in one day, and are looking forward to voting in America's 2022 election.

Source: https://babylonbee.com/news/study-finds-92-of-taliban-are-happy-they-voted-for-biden

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2021, 11:42 pm

VegetableMan wrote:

You need to educate yourself about your own country. Regardless of who is in charge, the US has been both a national security state (started with a secret war on communism then moved to war on terror) and a military-industrial complex since the early 1950s.

It's actually a republican president, Dwight Eisenhower, who in 1961 warned "In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists, and will persist."

Eisenhower was worried about the costs of an arms race with the Soviet Union, and the resources it would take from other areas -- such as building hospitals and schools.

Every president has had to deal with military hawks in the US military-industrial complex who operate in league with the NSA and CIA in getting involved in foreign wars. What Eisenhower made clear is the office of president lost control of the military a long time ago.

Getting worked up over Biden and other democrats influence over the military is pointless and somewhat ignorant given they are no better or worse than republicans when it comes to US military actions overseas. It's actually getting quite irritating.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2021, 12:24 am

in order for amuuuurican politics to not make one wanna go right out and take a long walk off a short pier, one must severely lower one's expectations of our leadership and policy, to merely not being quite so evil. that is all amuuuurican is good for.