Page 32 of 60 [ 955 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 60  Next

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2021, 7:43 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Yes, that system. All the more proof that the Electoral College is an archaic thing that was devised in a time when social elites (the founding fathers) feared democracy. Even Richard Nixon of all people voiced his concern that a Presidential candidate could lose the popular vote but carry the Electoral College - which a bloated orange conman with aspirations for becoming an autocratic strongman managed to do.

The Democratic party, including you, were perfectly happy with this "archaic" system when it benefited them, it was only when it delivered a result they didn't like that it became a problem, much like the filibuster.

When did I ever say I approved of the Electoral College? I was against as far back as high school, before I could ever vote.

Source link? :mrgreen:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2021, 7:45 pm

Mr Reynholm wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
Pepe wrote:
I was under the impression the Electoral College system always favoured the Republicans. :scratch:

Democrats like to b***h and moan about low population states like Wyoming carrying too much weight (also in the Senate), but they always manage to omit all the small East Coast states that reliably vote Democrat, such as Maryland, Vermont, etc. It's not like the GOP is angelic, they have plenty of hypocrisies of their own, but Democrats are in a whole different category when it comes to bending the rules when it suits them, then complaining that those same rules are unfair when turned against them, e.g. their recent attitude towards the filibuster.

True
Also the democracy loving Democrats have a very unfair primary system. Super delegates to the Democratic National Convention are delegates whose vote counts as more than a regular delegate thereby making sure that the will of the people is not a factor.

BS happens on both sides.
Hight court judge stacking is another trick both sides engage in, also. 8)

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2021, 8:19 pm

Pepe wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Yes, that system. All the more proof that the Electoral College is an archaic thing that was devised in a time when social elites (the founding fathers) feared democracy. Even Richard Nixon of all people voiced his concern that a Presidential candidate could lose the popular vote but carry the Electoral College - which a bloated orange conman with aspirations for becoming an autocratic strongman managed to do.

The Democratic party, including you, were perfectly happy with this "archaic" system when it benefited them, it was only when it delivered a result they didn't like that it became a problem, much like the filibuster.

When did I ever say I approved of the Electoral College? I was against as far back as high school, before I could ever vote.

Need to take my word for it. :wink:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2021, 8:30 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Need to take my word for it. :wink:

Done. 8)

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2021, 9:53 pm

Quote:
First couple Joe and Jill Biden took a leisurely bike ride during their weekend in Rehoboth on Sunday as a new poll emerged showing more than half of Americans believe the country is less united under this administration.

A Fox News poll released on Sunday shows that 54 per cent of registered voters think that the country has become more divided since Biden took office on January 20, 2021 and 37 per cent say the country has become 'more united.'

Only 7 per cent of 1,002 respondents believe there has been no change from when Donald Trump was in the White House and after Biden took over – and 3 per cent say they don't know.

Source: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10006599/Joe-Jill-bike-ride-poll-reveals-voters-think-country-united-Biden.html

Granted, the poll was taken\commisioned by Fox, so would potentially be more weighted towards the "right" with regard to respondants, but as this side is the one which "lost" the previous election, they would be the ones who need to be drawn in and made to feel "included" in order for there to be "unity" with the victors.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2021, 12:57 am

I was wondering...has anyone actually seen Biden conscious in the last month? (Press conferences don't necessarily count.)

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2021, 1:24 am

Brictoria wrote:
Quote:
First couple Joe and Jill Biden took a leisurely bike ride during their weekend in Rehoboth on Sunday as a new poll emerged showing more than half of Americans believe the country is less united under this administration.

A Fox News poll released on Sunday shows that 54 per cent of registered voters think that the country has become more divided since Biden took office on January 20, 2021 and 37 per cent say the country has become 'more united.'

Only 7 per cent of 1,002 respondents believe there has been no change from when Donald Trump was in the White House and after Biden took over – and 3 per cent say they don't know.

Source: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10006599/Joe-Jill-bike-ride-poll-reveals-voters-think-country-united-Biden.html

Granted, the poll was taken\commisioned by Fox, so would potentially be more weighted towards the "right" with regard to respondants, but as this side is the one which "lost" the previous election, they would be the ones who need to be drawn in and made to feel "included" in order for there to be "unity" with the victors.

"Lies, damn lies, and statistics."
I am not saying I totally disagree, here.
I just like saying: "Lies, damn lies, and statistics." :mrgreen:

But you do have to take polls with a grain of salt.
They did predict a Labour Party win by a landslide, in the last Australian erection election, after all. :lmao:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2021, 1:30 am

VegetableMan wrote:
I was wondering...has anyone actually seen Biden conscious in the last month? (Press conferences don't necessarily count.)

I saw him with Kamala and Nancy.

Sorry, Uncle Joe, I couldn't resist. :mrgreen:

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2021, 2:06 am

Brictoria wrote:
Quote:

Commissioned by Fox? If Fox said the sky was blue, I'd have to check outside to see for myself.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2021, 2:11 am

Pepe wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
Quote:

"Lies, damn lies, and statistics."
I am not saying I totally disagree, here.
I just like saying: "Lies, damn lies, and statistics." :mrgreen:

But you do have to take polls with a grain of salt.
They did predict a Labour Party win by a landslide, in the last Australian erection election, after all. :lmao:

True - But have you seen much sign of Mr Biden trying to work with the "right", or have his (and his party's) actions been more likely to alienate them?

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2021, 2:35 am

Brictoria wrote:
True - But have you seen much sign of Mr Biden trying to work with the "right", or have his (and his party's) actions been more likely to alienate them?

In what is a very oversimplified observation, it looks to me like Biden is willing to work with the right as needed to give them the political cover they need with their constituents at home, provided he can find another way to advance his more ambitious items, which he has to keep on the table to keep promises he seems to have made on the left. Hence, the splitting of the infrastructure bill. The negotiated compromise one that will have to pass with 60 votes, with the more ambitious items moving forward separately but parallel through a process not requiring the 60 votes. He didn't have to split it since he is still moving forward with the ambitious bill; splitting it allows Republicans with different constituencies to define their priorities. It seems like a insanely delicate political dance.

The signature version of the filibuster has to go. Make them stand in the chamber for hours. A filibuster should take effort to work. Its the effort that shows just how important the disagreement is. I don't think the filibuster should get tossed as it forces some cross isle work. But it's been misused and needs modification. The same can be said for a lot of things.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2021, 6:25 pm

Is being "more united" a good thing? I'd be suspicious of everyone in a country had the same political opinions.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2021, 6:44 pm

careful , possibly , the gov. might have a dim veiw of ..... people having different political opinions
in the future . And what would really put you on their watch list would you being willing to express them publically .

where ever you go ,there you are

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2021, 7:31 pm

Quote:
President Biden and former President Trump are statistically tied when it comes to their favorability among U.S. voters, according to a new Harvard CAPS/Harris Poll survey shared exclusively with The Hill on Monday.

Forty-eight percent of respondents say they have a positive view of Trump compared to 46 percent who say they have a favorable opinion of his successor. Biden’s favorability is slightly underwater, however: 49 percent of those surveyed said they have an unfavorable view of the current president, while slightly less — 47 percent — report an unfavorable opinion of Trump.

The findings are a remarkable shift for Biden, who repeatedly outperformed Trump’s favorability numbers throughout the early months of his presidency.

But multiple crises, including a surge in new COVID-19 infections in recent months and the chaotic withdrawal of U.S. troops from Afghanistan, have bruised public perceptions of Biden.

Fifty-one percent of respondents now say Trump was a better president than Biden, while 49 percent prefer the White House’s current occupant, the poll shows.

“The mounting issues on all fronts have led to the surprise conclusion that Trump is now seen as good a president as Biden, suggesting the honeymoon is being replaced now with buyer’s remorse,” Mark Penn, the co-director of the Harvard CAPS-Harris Poll survey, said.

“Since Trump lost the popular vote by 5 points, Trump getting 51 percent as a better president is actually an improvement from Election Day.”

The latest Harvard CAPS-Harris Poll survey also shows Biden’s overall approval rating under water for the first time since he took office. Forty-eight percent of those surveyed say they approve of the job he’s doing in the White House, while 50 percent disapprove.

That follows on the heels of a July Harvard CAPS/Harris Poll survey that showed his approval rating sinking to 52 percent from 62 percent in June.

Source: https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/573036-poll-biden-trump-statistically-tied-in-favorability

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2021, 7:33 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Is being "more united" a good thing? I'd be suspicious of everyone in a country had the same political opinions.

Jakki wrote:
careful , possibly , the gov. might have a dim veiw of ..... people having different political opinions
in the future . And what would really put you on their watch list would you being willing to express them publically .

United doesn't mean people can't have different political opinions and disagree. It means people are able to recognize that making steps to forward shared interests requires mutual respect and compromise, a willingness to work together. Our current environment of winner takes all, never compromise, don't give them an inch, is actually highly counterproductive. People refusing to hear each other out is highly counterproductive. Failing to agree on even what the base facts are - or even on how to figure out what the base facts are - is highly counterproductive.

We can be united in trying to move forward together without having to share a single political opinion. There have been long periods in our history where our nation did exactly that. Think of how much negotiation and compromise there was in our original constitution.

That is the concept that has been lost and which we need to get back to; how to work together despite differences.

That anyone could be concerned about what "united" should look like shows just how long and how far we've wandered. Too many people don't know what it looks like because they've never lived it as adults.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2021, 8:42 pm

Jakki wrote:

Isn't this the ccp model that is already implemented in China? :scratch: