Column: Larry Elder is the Black face of white supremacy.

Page 38 of 41 [ 647 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2021, 1:47 am

Brictoria wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Not at all. But when it comes to voter fraud accusations, that is definitely something the right has wrongly accused the left of voter fraud, even in areas with large numbers of racial minorities, or in liberal leaning municipalities.

Seriously?
The progressives spent 4 years whinging about how Hillary's election was stolen.
You progressives have such a poor memory when it comes to "Inconvenient Truths". :mrgreen:

Well, let's see:
Democrats collect evidence the Trump campaign is in communication with the Russians in order to sway voters by means of troll farms infiltrating social media.

There's actually been an indictment regarding that...https://wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=400109

Turns out the "communication" was a 3rd party email marketing server sending advertising for some Trump related business (among a large number of other clients), and was intentionally misrepresented by Ms Clinton's campaign (and a person hoping to get a high-ranking position in government should she have won, who provided the details).

If you weren't aware of this, it would seem there's a problem with the sources you use to keep up with the news...

The indictment you linked is quite a reach, according to legal experts, and will set a bad precedence if it takes. But, more importantly, it has zero to do with troll farms.

A simple glance at what I posted will note that I was discussing the "Trump campaign is in communication with the Russians" portion of the claim, and nothing more.

As to "legal experts" - Doubtless those on the "left" will say that.

I probably should have left that off, it really is a different topic. But hiding factors involved with information voluntarily provided to the FBI has not, apparently, been prosecuted in the past. He volunteered the information. He was never under oath.

Quote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
There was activity that looked suspicious, some people believed it was suspicious, but when it was thoroughly vetted by people who actually understood what they were doing, it proved to be a whole lot of nothing. Pretty sure it was all about a banking connection, not the propaganda and trolling the Russians were doing.

As to the indictment - from paragraph 7:
"In particular, and among other things, the FBI's investigation revealed that the email server at issue was not owned or operated by the Trump Organization but, rather, had been administered by a mass marketing email company that sent advertisments for Trump hotels and hundreds of other clients"

Similarly, paragraph 24:
Quote:
Despite the aforementioned views that the Russian Bank Data and allegations were
a "red herring" that should be "ignored," SUSSMANN, Tech Executive-1, Originator-I, and the
University-I researchers began to draft, review, and revise a "white paper" summarizing the
Russian Bank-I allegations that SUSSMANN would later provide to the FBI. SUSSMANN
continued to bill time on these matters to the Clinton Campaign.

It wasn't that the activity was suspicious, or even that it looked suspicious: It was a case of it being innocent, yet disguised to appear suspicious.

I am not aware there is any proof that it was intentionally disguised. The connection existed, and anyone looking for dirt would naturally (in my opinion) think they were onto something. We're in pretty sketchy territory for proving wrong doing beyond a reasonable doubt.

Quote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
Perhaps you missed this, but a dozen Russians were indicted here in the US over trying to interfere with our elections: https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/grand-ju ... 6-election

Not fake at all.

Perhaps you missed this, but nowhere did I discuss that portion of the topic, nor did I intend to do so...

You didn't, but Kraichguaer did allude to it. He mentioned Russian troll farms, so I found it relevant to mention that a true Russian connection did exist.

I don't really want to try the lawyers case here, that wasn't my point. Its all in quite a gray area and we'll have to see what comes of it as the law runs its course. Because its gray, we're both going to see it with partisan eyes, that is relatively natural. I can accept that and leave it be.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2021, 1:52 am

Pepe wrote:
Quote:
Hillary Clinton Maintains 2016 Election ‘Was Not On the Level’: ‘We Still Don’t Know What Really Happened’

Hillary Clinton is sticking with her conviction that the 2016 presidential election was not conducted legitimately, saying the details surrounding her loss are still unclear.

“There was a widespread understanding that this election [in 2016] was not on the level,” Clinton said during an interview for the latest episode of The Atlantic’s politics podcast, The Ticket. “We still don’t know what really happened.”

“There’s just a lot that I think will be revealed. History will discover,” the Democratic Party’s 2016 presidential nominee continued. “But you don’t win by 3 million votes and have all this other shenanigans and stuff going on and not come away with an idea like, ‘Whoa, something’s not right here.’ That was a deep sense of unease.”

https://news.yahoo.com/hillary-clinton- ... 16779.html

She is allowed to believe that, she is the one who lost, but she still managed to do the right thing by the country and officially concede. She isn't running rallies and pushing a highly visible narrative.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2021, 3:25 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Not at all. But when it comes to voter fraud accusations, that is definitely something the right has wrongly accused the left of voter fraud, even in areas with large numbers of racial minorities, or in liberal leaning municipalities.

Seriously?
The progressives spent 4 years whinging about how Hillary's election was stolen.
You progressives have such a poor memory when it comes to "Inconvenient Truths". :mrgreen:

Well, let's see:
Democrats collect evidence the Trump campaign is in communication with the Russians in order to sway voters by means of troll farms infiltrating social media.

There's actually been an indictment regarding that...https://wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=400109

Turns out the "communication" was a 3rd party email marketing server sending advertising for some Trump related business (among a large number of other clients), and was intentionally misrepresented by Ms Clinton's campaign (and a person hoping to get a high-ranking position in government should she have won, who provided the details).

If you weren't aware of this, it would seem there's a problem with the sources you use to keep up with the news...

The indictment you linked is quite a reach, according to legal experts, and will set a bad precedence if it takes. But, more importantly, it has zero to do with troll farms.

A simple glance at what I posted will note that I was discussing the "Trump campaign is in communication with the Russians" portion of the claim, and nothing more.

As to "legal experts" - Doubtless those on the "left" will say that.

I probably should have left that off, it really is a different topic. But hiding factors involved with information voluntarily provided to the FBI has not, apparently, been prosecuted in the past. He volunteered the information. He was never under oath.

The name General Michael Flynn comes to mind regarding offering information voluntarily to the FBI while not under oath. I seem to recall a prosecution related to that...

DW_a_mom wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
There was activity that looked suspicious, some people believed it was suspicious, but when it was thoroughly vetted by people who actually understood what they were doing, it proved to be a whole lot of nothing. Pretty sure it was all about a banking connection, not the propaganda and trolling the Russians were doing.

As to the indictment - from paragraph 7:
"In particular, and among other things, the FBI's investigation revealed that the email server at issue was not owned or operated by the Trump Organization but, rather, had been administered by a mass marketing email company that sent advertisments for Trump hotels and hundreds of other clients"

Similarly, paragraph 24:
Quote:
Despite the aforementioned views that the Russian Bank Data and allegations were
a "red herring" that should be "ignored," SUSSMANN, Tech Executive-1, Originator-I, and the
University-I researchers began to draft, review, and revise a "white paper" summarizing the
Russian Bank-I allegations that SUSSMANN would later provide to the FBI. SUSSMANN
continued to bill time on these matters to the Clinton Campaign.

It wasn't that the activity was suspicious, or even that it looked suspicious: It was a case of it being innocent, yet disguised to appear suspicious.

I am not aware there is any proof that it was intentionally disguised. The connection existed, and anyone looking for dirt would naturally (in my opinion) think they were onto something. We're in pretty sketchy territory for proving wrong doing beyond a reasonable doubt.

As noted above (and a portion of the post you mysteriously excluded from your reply):
Quote:
On or about August 22, 2016, Researcher- I emailed the aforementioned recipients,
expressing continued doubt regarding the Russian Bank-1 allegations that SUSSMANN would
later convey to the FBI , and raising concerns about the researchers' bias against Trump:

Let[']s for a moment think of the best case scenario, where we are able
to show (somehow) that DNS [] communication exists between Trump
and R[ussia]. How do we plan to defend against the criticism that
this is not spoofed [I traffic we are observing? There is no answer to
that.
Let's assume again that they are not smart enough to refute our
"best case" scenario. [Tech Executive-I], you do realize that we will
have to expose every trick we have in our bag to even make a very
weak association?
Let[']s all reflect upon that for a moment. Sorry
folks, but unless we get combine netflow and DNS traffic collected at
critical points between suspect organizations, we cannot technically
make any claims that would fly public scrutiny.

The only thing that drivels! us at this point is that we just do not
like [Trump]. This will not fly in eyes of public scrutiny. Folks, I
am afraid we have tunnel vision.
Time to regroup?
( emphasis added).

SUSSMANN and His Client Prepare a White Paper Summarizing the Russian Bank-I
Allegations

24. Despite the aforementioned views that the Russian Bank Data and allegations were
Russian Bank-I allegations that SUSSMANN would later provide to the FBI.

Source: paragraphs 23 and 24 of indictment

For the record, the "communication" was merely DNS lookups.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2021, 3:36 am

^^^
Flynn is also a raving nutbar who lied to the FBI. Today, he's gone completely over the edge of sanity, taking his family with him, as they all took an oath to QAnon.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2021, 4:44 am

cyberdad wrote:
You like making stuff up?
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-09/ ... ws/9029062

Frump (at least in his mind) thought he invented the term :lol:

If you read the link I posted the term fake news predates Hillary by a century

Perhaps the saddest attempt at a "gotcha!" I've ever seen. Not going to answer my question, are you?

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2021, 4:45 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
Personally I think they did what they had to do for the good of the country in the heat of the election, but I also completely understand why you would strongly disagree.

Spoken like every political assassin in history, and I'm sure you'd have a different tune if this had gone the other way.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2021, 4:51 am

Brictoria wrote:
(and a portion of the post you mysteriously excluded from your reply)

Nothing mysterious; long and never ending posts drive me nuts both visually and mentally. To the extent I can sort through the text efficiently enough while responding, I'll cut it down to hopefully just enough to keep the necessary trail.

I honestly don't trust your selective cut and paste from the indictment; it isn't personal; I wouldn't trust anyone's. One of the keys to reading law is knowing that every word, and every comma, matters. I read the indictment when it came out and my impression was, apparently, different from yours. So be it; reasonable minds are allowed to differ.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2021, 4:54 am

Dox47 wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
Personally I think they did what they had to do for the good of the country in the heat of the election, but I also completely understand why you would strongly disagree.

Spoken like every political assassin in history, and I'm sure you'd have a different tune if this had gone the other way.

Are you equating suppression of clearly misleading information, that the posters often know is erroneous, with assassination?

All the media companies did was take a few people's bull horns away. That's all.

If it was flipped ... hm, depends on if I could figure out that my side was lying.

But, seriously, we know we're going to default in totally different directions here. I do believe in freedom of expression, freedom of speech, allowing differing voices to be heard, but I have trouble with the intentional spread of provably false and erroneous information. The line between the two gets hazy. You'll say if the line is hazy, don't draw one. Actually, never draw one at all. I worry about what the spread of bad information does and would like SOMETHING to hold people accountable to the truth. I don't want that something to be government and I don't want it to be private companies ... I've floated a few ideas in the past but you hated them all (I still lean towards professional ethic standards). So stalemate.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2021, 5:08 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
^^^
Flynn is also a raving nutbar who lied to the FBI. Today, he's gone completely over the edge of sanity, taking his family with him, as they all took an oath to QAnon.

Sad, isn't? Once upon time he was worthy of respect.

Or was I overly generous with my respect all along? Hard to know. But until he went over the edge I was never going to write off him off simply for having some opinions I disagreed with.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2021, 5:56 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
^^^

Or was I overly generous with my respect all along? Hard to know. But until he went over the edge I was never going to write off him off simply for having some opinions I disagreed with.

Well... we really didn't get to know him till he got moved up to a staff position in the Obama years. That's when he went off the rails with his paranoid Islamophobia, which cost him his job. It was that same need to be locked in a rubber room that made Trump think he'd be a great hire.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2021, 9:00 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
Clinton won the popular vote by 3 million, but lost the electoral college (the only count that matters).
Clinton CONCEDED the election.

Then walked it back.
Hillary Clinton: Trump is an ‘illegitimate president’
Quote:
Hillary Clinton dismissed President Trump as an “illegitimate president” and suggested that “he knows” that he stole the 2016 presidential election in a CBS News interview to be aired Sunday.

Clinton was asked whether it angers her that none of the current Democratic candidates invoke her on the campaign trail while Trump’s rally crowds still break out into “lock her up” chants.
“No, it doesn’t kill me because he knows he’s an illegitimate president,” she said. “I believe he understands that the many varying tactics they used, from voter suppression and voter purging to hacking to the false stories — he knows that — there were just a bunch of different reasons why the election turned out like it did.”

Yes other progressives don’t concede elections.
Quote:
In June, former president Jimmy Carter used similar language to diminish Trump’s presidency. Carter said that in his view Trump lost the 2016 election and was put in office by the Russians. Asked if he considered Trump to be illegitimate, Carter said, “Based on what I just said, which I can’t retract.”

Trump Hasn't Conceded Georgia. Neither Did Stacey Abrams.
Quote:

The 2018 Democratic candidate for governor, Stacey Abrams, also refused to concede to her Republican opponent, Brian Kemp.

Abrams had stayed quiet for 10 days after the election while her campaign focused on getting more absentee and provisional ballots counted. Then she called a press conference at which she made a careful statement: "I acknowledge that former Secretary of State Brian Kemp will be certified as the victor in the 2018 gubernatorial election."

However, she declared, this was "not a speech of concession."

And there were protests and riots after Trump won and all the “Trump is not my President” signs and bumper stickers that sprung up.

Neither Clinton, Carter, or Abrams signaled to supporters to physically try and stop certification. But not conceding elections is dangerous and what they all have combined to do is normalize it as evidenced by all the “Biden is not my President” paraphernalia still around.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2021, 3:08 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
Are you equating suppression of clearly misleading information, that the posters often know is erroneous, with assassination?

Nope, just pointing out that the justification sounds identical.

DW_a_mom wrote:
All the media companies did was take a few people's bull horns away. That's all.

I'd say they did a bit more than that, especially in an election cycle where everyone was more dependent than usual on the media for their information, the ability to control what is and is not shown is tantamount to the ability to control reality for a fair chunk of the country.

DW_a_mom wrote:
If it was flipped ... hm, depends on if I could figure out that my side was lying.

So you'd have been fine if every flaw of Biden's had been heavily covered and every scandal of Trump's ignored, and us being 9 months into the second Trump administration? Assume no lies, simply that what was and was not covered and/or emphasized was reversed.

DW_a_mom wrote:
But, seriously, we know we're going to default in totally different directions here. I do believe in freedom of expression, freedom of speech, allowing differing voices to be heard, but I have trouble with the intentional spread of provably false and erroneous information.

So, just as a hypothetical, let's say that WP decided to adopt that as a moderating policy, and I'm the fact checker; does this sound like fun to you?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2021, 5:10 pm

Dox47 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
You like making stuff up?
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-09/ ... ws/9029062

Frump (at least in his mind) thought he invented the term :lol:

If you read the link I posted the term fake news predates Hillary by a century

Perhaps the saddest attempt at a "gotcha!" I've ever seen. Not going to answer my question, are you?

I'm afraid you have moved the goal posts so far even I can't remember the original question.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2021, 5:12 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
^^^

Well... we really didn't get to know him till he got moved up to a staff position in the Obama years. That's when he went off the rails with his paranoid Islamophobia, which cost him his job. It was that same need to be locked in a rubber room that made Trump think he'd be a great hire.

Opportunists flocked to Trump like moths to a flame
https://theintercept.com/2021/06/27/qan ... -soldiers/

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2021, 6:47 pm

Dox47 wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:

So you'd have been fine if every flaw of Biden's had been heavily covered and every scandal of Trump's ignored, and us being 9 months into the second Trump administration? Assume no lies, simply that what was and was not covered and/or emphasized was reversed.

You can't take the lies out of it, my entire position rests on the fact that we have a right to not be lied to.

If Trump was always telling the truth and Biden was always lying, and Trump got elected, first, I doubt I would have supported Biden as a candidate and, second, at least I would know people had made an informed decision.

Quote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
But, seriously, we know we're going to default in totally different directions here. I do believe in freedom of expression, freedom of speech, allowing differing voices to be heard, but I have trouble with the intentional spread of provably false and erroneous information.

So, just as a hypothetical, let's say that WP decided to adopt that as a moderating policy, and I'm the fact checker; does this sound like fun to you?

The hypothetical may mirror the current system, but we already know I do not consider the current system to be suitable. Facebook et al are currently applying the monitoring system used in private forums everywhere, but on this large a scale, where the social media platforms are often functioning as news delivery platforms, that model leaves me extremely uncomfortable.

Professional standards would work differently, and could be adapted from professional standards used for financial statements, the law, and engineering. When you view the financials of a company to decide if you want to invest, you need to be able to rely that some standard of accuracy and presentation has been applied. Hence, CPA audits and an entire profession of certified professionals. When you move into a building, you need to be able to rely that come level of minimum building standard has been applied. Hence, professional engineers with a specific stamp to put their work. In both cases professions and standards have evolved to supply the need to be able to trust what is in front of you. How stridently those standards are applied and enforced depends on the specifics of what one is looking at. The professions by and large develop their own standards, test prospective members on their understanding of the standards, and have peer systems in place for making sure those standards are followed. It is generally consensus based and self-policing. The professionals with letters behind their names understand that those letters are supposed to mean something; that they've been entrusted with a fiduciary duty. The details of how to apply that type of framework to social media would require some creative thinking because, obviously, it's a very different situation, but the concept could be a starting place.

Take, for example, the twitter blue check marks. They tell you that the person is who they say they are. But what if users could also apply for, say, just to brainstorm, a green check mark, that indicates they have agreed to apply some level of professional fact checking standards before posting information? The green check mark people would then develop peer groups and standards to ensure that the green check mark continues to have means something. When someone continually fails to follow the standards, they go through a peer system and could lose their green mark. In the CPA profession, professionals who work with SEC statements must go through regular peer review, where fellow CPAs look at their work and make comments on how to improve. A report gets written, but the meat is in the discussion the professionals share on how the standards were applied. The aim is to continually improve how the standards get applied more than to censor. Only egregious cases move into discipline action. That might, theoretically, be one way to use professional standards on social media.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2021, 1:17 am

cyberdad wrote:
I'm afraid you have moved the goal posts so far even I can't remember the original question.

If you want to claim I moved the goalposts, why don't you tell me what they were before I moved them? Or is this more buzzword bingo, a term you don't actually know the meaning of, but see other people using so you just throw it in?