Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2021, 12:54 am

Behind Pay Wall
Rants against Afghan refugees un-American by Cathy Young for Newsday

Quote:
As political battles rage over our retreat from Afghanistan, one unsurprising but depressing development is that the nativist contingent of the right has turned its attention to warding off the refugee "invasion."

Amid reports of millions of Afghans terrified by the advance of Taliban militants and seeking to flee — particularly those facing retribution because they have worked with American forces — Fox News host Tucker Carlson last week delivered a diatribe warning that the crisis would be used to expand asylum claims: "We will see many refugees from Afghanistan resettle in our country in coming months, probably in your neighborhood." He added that the number may eventually "swell to the millions" and concluded, "So, first we invade, and then we’re invaded."

There are many notable things about this repulsive rant, including the fact that while Carlson denounced pro-refugee Republicans such as Sen. Mitt Romney (R-Utah) as "architects" of the disastrous war who should be "groveling for our forgiveness," he was himself a vocal hawk in 2001. But it’s the clamor against immigration and asylum that starkly exposes the indecency — and, arguably, un-Americanness — of today’s populist right.

Carlson was far from alone in his xenophobic agitation. "Is it really our responsibility to welcome thousands of potentially unvetted refugees from Afghanistan?" inquired his Fox colleague Laura Ingraham. "Potentially" is doing a lot of work here, since all refugee claims are subject to vetting. On Twitter, former Trump adviser and anti-immigration hard-liner Stephen Miller accused the Biden administration of wanting to "use their catastrophic debacle in Afghanistan as a pretext for doing to America what Angela Merkel did to Germany" by taking in large numbers of Syrian refugees.

Fortunately, this fearmongering is not reflected in public opinion. A CBS News/YouGov poll shows that an overwhelming 81% of Americans support resettling Afghans who were our allies and helpers. That includes 76% of Republicans. And yet the nativist "base" has a disproportionate political influence in the party.

There are fewer than 90,000 pending asylum claims from Afghanistan. (An adviser to former Vice President Mike Pence has said that Trump and Miller actively sabotaged the processing of those claims.) If things go as badly as is feared, that number will undoubtedly grow. But the people seeking to come here will be primarily those Afghans most likely to thrive in America: the most educated, modernized, and interested in freedom.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2021, 12:59 am

I hope Tucker Carlson dies of diarrhea, it would be fitting since that is all that comes out of his mouth.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2021, 1:04 am

Uggh, and there's the side of Tucker that I hate to see, I can understand a certain amount of hesitation given what some of the European countries have been dealing with regarding their refugee populations, but the flat refusal is just wrong.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

27 Aug 2021, 9:41 am

Some people don't have humanity, or, if they ever had any they've lost it long ago.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2021, 10:07 am

Yes, Inhumanism;

True, An Offshoot

Of The Religion

Of Ignoricism

WHere Yes

The Intelligence

Of Love Is Close to Zero...
Where The Objective is

Truly

Basically

Nothing
Of REAL
HUMAN VALUE;

Not Even Worth

A Wag of A Dog Firstly...

Or A Purr of A Cat So Much
More Dam Humanly Secondly Than

Inhumanism Breeds...

Now An Overall Product; Yes, Real Now
Ignoricism of Humanity Inhumanism Is...

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2021, 10:26 am

Over here, some are concerned about terrorists posing as refugees.
Already one guy on a security watch list slipped through while another 3 or 4 got refused/caught.

Life isn't black & white, people.

BTW, I am not providing personal commentary here.
Just making an observation.
I am not even the messenger, so please don't kill me. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2021, 10:33 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
I hope Tucker Carlson dies of diarrhea, it would be fitting since that is all that comes out of his mouth.

I would like to see what Carlson actually said and understand the tone that he used, before condemning him to terminal gastroenteritis. :mrgreen:

BTW, This is coming from a left-wing source, isn't it? :scratch:

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2021, 11:14 am

Pepe wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

I would like to see what Carlson actually said and understand the tone that he used, before condemning him to terminal gastroenteritis. :mrgreen:

Yep, its been processed through the SPIN Cycle.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2021, 12:29 pm

I was losing brain cells reading it so I had to stop.

At least the state of Oregon is welcoming these refugees. Womens' lives are in danger there, they need to flee their country. This wouldn't be the first time our country has taken in refugees, we took in Jewish people during WWII and Viatnamese people back in the 1970s.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

King0fSpades
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2021, 1:30 pm

envirozentinel wrote:
Some people don't have humanity, or, if they ever had any they've lost it long ago.

Being human is exactly what makes these people so dangerous.

♤ The Military

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

27 Aug 2021, 1:52 pm

But there's a difference between being merely human in a biological sense and having humanity.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2021, 9:44 pm

Mr Reynholm wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

Yep, its been processed through the SPIN Cycle.

Why am I not surprise, Jakki? :mrgreen:

Spin on both sides, and people get sucked in time and time again.

I prefer to have all the facts possible, before making a hardcore opinion.
But hey, I'm a particularly smart skunk. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2021, 9:46 pm

King0fSpades wrote:
envirozentinel wrote:

Being human is exactly what makes these people so dangerous.

Too right!
Hoomans!
Disgusting creatures. :eew:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2021, 9:49 pm

envirozentinel wrote:
But there's a difference between being merely human in a biological sense and having humanity.

But keep in mind. This is coming from a squirrel. :mrgreen:

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2021, 8:14 am

It's not that the refugee's aren't welcome, its that they aren't being vetted. We don't know who is being air lifted out of Afghanistan. The withdrawal was so rushed and bungled that we now have a huge mass of undocumented and unvaccinated people piling into cargo planes while we have no idea how many are bad actors. Somehow this gets spun into "racism", but we need to know who is coming into the country.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2021, 8:33 am

Mr Reynholm wrote:
It's not that the refugee's aren't welcome, its that they aren't being vetted. We don't know who is being air lifted out of Afghanistan. The withdrawal was so rushed and bungled that we now have a huge mass of undocumented and unvaccinated people piling into cargo planes while we have no idea how many are bad actors. Somehow this gets spun into "racism", but we need to know who is coming into the country.

That is what the left seems to do.
Always look for a way to introduce "racism" into the argument as emotional blackmail to stop debate.
I am so over that. [sigh]