Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2021, 1:37 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
King0fSpades wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
Back to the original topic:

SCOTUS ruled 5-4 in favor of upholding the Texas abortion ban.

Women have more reproductive freedom in North Korea than they do in Texas.

That's not true in the slightest. Rape and forced abortions are both common in DPRK.

Texas is also terrible in regards to reproductive freedom, but NK might be the worst place on earth in that regard.

When people complain about how bad things are in the US, I guess it would help to remember that there are countries in this world that are MUCH worse.

But given how undeniably crazy things are getting in the US lately, I think people have good reason to be worried about the future of this country. Nobody wants this country to turn into something like The Handmaids Tale...

I agree that there's reasons to be concerned, I don't like slippery-slope arguments but the far-right have been greasing this slope for ages.

That said, the reactionaries in America have to push the Overton window over quite a bit more before comparisons to Iran, North Korea or other totalitarian regimes start to be fair. Those comparisons aren't useful criticisms because they're easy to debunk and have the potential to turn people away from the point one hopes to make, instead of helping to making that point.

I guess that's like when everyone was screaming that Trump was the reincarnation of Hitler. In reality Trump is his own person and his own kind of authoritarian.

♤ The Military

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2021, 1:44 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
Flown wrote:
King0fSpades wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Georgia has a sex toy ban too, not that anyone really enforces it of course...

Weird. I've never heard this one. I have lived here for years, and there are many sex toy shops across the state. Maybe certain cities or towns banned them?

Tim_Tex wrote:

They already tried to pass a similar law in Georgia in 2020, Georgia HB48. "HB 481 would have outlawed abortions after the detection of a 'fetal human heartbeat,' which usually occurs in the sixth week of pregnancy." Really misleading considering embryos don't even have heartbeats (and an embryo isn't termed a fetus until 11 weeks). There is pulsating activity which is caused by cells grouping together in preparation to form organs, etc, but there is no heart there to beat. Abortion access is so limited in the South already (women from all over the state are limited to just a handful of clinics), and these sorts of laws are just downright cruel and traumatizing to women. HB48 was ruled unconstitutional and struck down by a federal court in July 2020, but I expect it will be up for vote again in the near future.

And the anti-abortion laws are solely about controlling womens’ sexuality, shaming them for having sex outside of marriage.

I’m sure fornication is the next thing red states will make illegal. If anything, fornication should be *mandatory*!

Get real...mandatory beastiality might be feasible. But not voluntary extramarital copulation with humans. The state should provide sheep for all men and women who cant find sex partners. And that way the humans in question can satisfy the state's copulation quota without raping other humans. You gotta think these things out dude! :lol:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2021, 1:55 pm

King0fSpades wrote:
I guess that's like when everyone was screaming that Trump was the reincarnation of Hitler. In reality Trump is his own person and his own kind of authoritarian.

Right, similarities exist but we do ourselves a disservice when we oversimplify a new thing as just the next form of some old thing.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2021, 2:33 pm

Mr Reynholm wrote:
No body is forced to live in Texas or any other state.

Ah yes, we live in the fantasy land where anyone can afford to just up and move anywhere they want at any time!

Did it occur to you that many cannot afford to move? Or they do not want to move?

Millions of pro-choice Texans are proud to be Texans and do not want to abandon their home just because of republican human rights violations.

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2021, 3:26 pm

roronoa79 wrote:
Millions of pro-choice Texans are proud to be Texans and do not want to abandon their home just because of republican human rights violations.

That works both ways, I'm not particularly happy that a huge influx of liberals has turned my state deep blue and changed the political climate to California lite, but if it gets truly intolerable, I'll move to someplace more to my taste, such as Texas. This is how federalism is supposed to work, the states get to be individual laboratories of democracy, with people free to move around according to their wishes, with some basic guidelines laid down by the Constitution.

I'll be curious to see what happens with this abortion law, it was clearly designed to thwart Roe, but I also think Roe was bad law even though I'm pro choice, an opinion I shared with the late Ruth Bader Ginsburg. Abortion probably would not have become such a toxic issue if the laws governing it had been laid down by a legislature, either at the individual state or federal level rather than having been essentially pulled out of a magic hat by the court in the 70s, so I wouldn't be heartbroken if the court overturned Roe, it would essentially give us a do over on that issue.

Red Raid
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Sep 2021, 3:56 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
Also, I would require halal restaurants to serve pork products and alcoholic beverages, and require female employees of said restaurants to wear bikinis with skimpy T-shirts that say “I :heart: Sodomy”.

This is making my head hurt.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2021, 4:06 pm

Red Raid wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
Also, I would require halal restaurants to serve pork products and alcoholic beverages, and require female employees of said restaurants to wear bikinis with skimpy T-shirts that say “I :heart: Sodomy”.

Just require all Halal, and all kosher restaurants, to double as Hooters. And to serve pulled pork on mac and cheese.

And require all places of worship to double as legal bordellos.

And make same sex marriage mandatory. You CAN marry an opposite sex person - and make it a plural marriage- but you HAVE to marry at least one person of the same sex. OR...marry a sheep (we can be flexible).

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2021, 4:17 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Red Raid wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

Just require all Halal, and all kosher restaurants, to double as Hooters. And to serve pulled pork on mac and cheese.

And require all places of worship to double as legal bordellos.

And make same sex marriage mandatory. You CAN marry an opposite sex person - and make it a plural marriage- but you HAVE to marry at least one person of the same sex. OR...marry a sheep (we can be flexible).

This is a baaaah'd idea. 8O

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2021, 4:35 pm

more Civil Rights for the sheeple people. :chin:

where ever you go ,there you are

Red Raid
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Sep 2021, 4:42 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:

Oh I read that wrong. I thought you put something else instead of halal.

My apologies.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2021, 5:03 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
Flown wrote:
King0fSpades wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Georgia has a sex toy ban too, not that anyone really enforces it of course...

Weird. I've never heard this one. I have lived here for years, and there are many sex toy shops across the state. Maybe certain cities or towns banned them?

Tim_Tex wrote:

They already tried to pass a similar law in Georgia in 2020, Georgia HB48. "HB 481 would have outlawed abortions after the detection of a 'fetal human heartbeat,' which usually occurs in the sixth week of pregnancy." Really misleading considering embryos don't even have heartbeats (and an embryo isn't termed a fetus until 11 weeks). There is pulsating activity which is caused by cells grouping together in preparation to form organs, etc, but there is no heart there to beat. Abortion access is so limited in the South already (women from all over the state are limited to just a handful of clinics), and these sorts of laws are just downright cruel and traumatizing to women. HB48 was ruled unconstitutional and struck down by a federal court in July 2020, but I expect it will be up for vote again in the near future.

And the anti-abortion laws are solely about controlling womens’ sexuality, shaming them for having sex outside of marriage.

I’m sure fornication is the next thing red states will make illegal. If anything, fornication should be *mandatory*!

Get real...mandatory beastiality might be feasible. But not voluntary extramarital copulation with humans. The state should provide sheep for all men and women who cant find sex partners. And that way the humans in question can satisfy the state's copulation quota without raping other humans. You gotta think these things out dude! :lol:

The Australian solution.

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2021, 5:18 pm

Of course MSNBC hates Texas. Thats not news.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2021, 6:32 pm

roronoa79 wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
No body is forced to live in Texas or any other state.

Ah yes, we live in the fantasy land where anyone can afford to just up and move anywhere they want at any time!

Did it occur to you that many cannot afford to move? Or they do not want to move?

Many of the progressive states have very high costs of living, such as CA and NY. In San Francisco, one must make $120,000 just to be above the poverty line. Middle class people are having to live in tents in Seattle. So many people are trying to flee to those states to escape the draconian red state laws, that home prices rise 40% in one year (incomes rise only 3%$.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2021, 11:11 pm

No uterus, no opinion, unless you’re in favor of abortion rights.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2021, 1:15 am

Tim_Tex wrote:

Haven't you heard? Men can get pregnant now, new rules.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2021, 2:08 am

Dox47 wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

Haven't you heard? Men can get pregnant now, new rules.

Men constitute almost the entire opposition to abortion. The point is to silence that opposition.