Response to "If you are a white person... "

Page 8 of 17 [ 257 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 17  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 8:30 am

Nades wrote:
... The number or times I've been called a f*****g prick for my apparent "white privilege" is impressive...
Same here.

As one example, as a veteran, I can sign a mortgage on a house with no down-payment.  Sellers and banks seem to prefer veterans as home-buyers because of this.  Yet, when this (and my high credit rating) results in a seller choosing my offer over all of the other people's offers, some of those other people have then used some rough language to describe me, and have attributed my success as being due to the color of my skin and not the more attractive terms I offered.

And not all of the rough language and false accusations came from non-whites, either.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Last edited by Fnord on 15 Sep 2021, 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 8:32 am

Hi Magz.

A good example of "white privilege":

Being allowed to use the bathroom (toilet) because you are white.
Not being allowed to use the bathroom (toilet) because you are black.

When one really has to "go," it's really a major thing. I'm not joking.

I'm not denying there's "white privilege." What I'm denying is that white people are automatically "privileged" because they are white. And the ideology of "white privilege" forming the basis of "critical race theory."

The ideal, to me, is for "race" to become a nonentity when assessing a person. A nonentity when it comes to being able to buy a house in a decent neighborhood.

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 15 Sep 2021, 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 8:33 am

Fnord wrote:
Nades wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Nades wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Nades wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
The concept of white privilege isn't that your life can't be hard if you're white, it just means your white skin isn't a factor in making it hard.  The fact that the OP keeps citing his autism, as opposed to his skin color, as the reason why his life sucks is evidence of this.  Some people on WP really need to grasp the concept of "nuance."
The word "privilege" implies a specific and intentional advantage given to white people and less of a indifference like you allude to.  Perhaps it should be called "white indifference" instead of while privilege.  Not surprisingly white people who struggle, of which there are plenty will get massively and justifiably butt hurt if they're repeatedly told they have privilege
As implied in Ms. McIntosh's list, "White Indifference" to the struggles of non-whites is a "White Privilege".  I trust her claims more than any counter-claims due to her superior education and credentials, which counter-claimants seem to lack in abundance.
Where I'm from, non whites seem to be doing better than whites. Perhaps it applies more in the US than the Welsh valleys but in the UK the poorest areas are often the whitest.
I have witnessed the same phenomenon in America -- usually in areas dominated by whites.  My own hometown, for example, was 98% white when I lived there.  The wealthier whites lived on the south side, the less wealthy whites lived on the north, and the poorest whites lived in a mobile-home park between the city limits and the airport.  They were referred to as "Trailer Trash" for various reasons.  The only non-whites -- doctors, engineers, teachers, and a cop -- all lived on the south side, and seemed to be respected by their neighbors for their education and relative wealth.
Shouldn't that make you question the whole notion of white privilege then? ...
Nope.  Even now, my hometown's population is only 0.002% of the total population of America, making it hardly representative of the entire nation.  Besides, only in areas where whites and non-whites have almost equal populations do I observe instances of white privilege being displayed.  The white people involved are almost always oblivious to these privileges, of course.

Can anyone prove the privilege is because of skin colour only? If it's down to other factors like collective behaviour of two groups which can be changed then it's not "white privilege".

I know one thing for sure though, in places like London where black young men make up a grossly disproportionate amount of criminal behaviour it's obvious any lack of opportunities is due to the behaviour of that particular group of people. Black people in more rural and industrial areas where said gang culture doesn't exist not surprisingly seem to perform far better. Seems more to do with behaviour than skin colour to me.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

15 Sep 2021, 8:35 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Hi Magz.

A good example of "white privilege":

Being allowed to use the bathroom (toilet) because you are white.
Not being allowed to use the bathroom (toilet) because you are black.

When one really has to "go," it's really a major thing. I'm not joking.

I'm not denying there's "white privilege." What I'm denying is that white people are automatically "privileged" because they are white. And the ideology of "white privilege" forming the basis of "critical race theory."

The ideal, to me, is for "race" to become a nonentity when assessing a person. A nonentity when it comes to being able to buy a house in a decent neighborhood.
It's not white privilege, it's non-white discrimination! Also, a symptom of insufficient number of public toilets.
That's another example of what I read as "white privilege" being just lack of non-white discrimination/harassment.

Yes, my concept of the ideal is also race becoming just an aspect of appearence.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 8:41 am

Nades wrote:
Can anyone prove the privilege is because of skin colour only?
This is one of those issues for which the "Duck Test" seems to have been designed -- if it looks like white privilege (et cetera), then it most likely is white privilege.
Nades wrote:
If it's down to other factors like collective behaviour of two groups which can be changed then it's not "white privilege".  I know one thing for sure though, in places like London where black young men make up a grossly disproportionate amount of criminal behaviour it's obvious any lack of opportunities is due to the behaviour of that particular group of people.  Black people in more rural and industrial areas where said gang culture doesn't exist not surprisingly seem to perform far better.  Seems more to do with behaviour than skin colour to me.
You would be hard-pressed to advance your case in the presence of a civil-rights advocate or BLM activist.  To those people, even when an issue is obviously not one of "White Privilege" (e.g., a non-white person goes to prison for being caught red-handed while breaking the law), it seems to somehow be a white person's (or all white people's) fault anyway.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 9:52 am

Fnord wrote:
Nades wrote:
Can anyone prove the privilege is because of skin colour only?
This is one of those issues for which the "Duck Test" seems to have been designed -- if it looks like white privilege (et cetera), then it most likely is white privilege.
Nades wrote:
If it's down to other factors like collective behaviour of two groups which can be changed then it's not "white privilege".  I know one thing for sure though, in places like London where black young men make up a grossly disproportionate amount of criminal behaviour it's obvious any lack of opportunities is due to the behaviour of that particular group of people.  Black people in more rural and industrial areas where said gang culture doesn't exist not surprisingly seem to perform far better.  Seems more to do with behaviour than skin colour to me.
You would be hard-pressed to advance your case in the presences of a civil-rights advocate or BLM activist.  To those people, even when an issue is obviously not one of "White Privilege" (e.g., a non-white person goes to prison for being caught red-handed while breaking the law), it seems to somehow be a white person's (or all white people's) fault anyway.

The duck test is a humorous "test" of reason used to imply something is so obvious it needs to further looking into. White privilege or the supposed existence of isn't really all that simple to grasp.

I know and you know that people of colour often thrive......so long as their outside of inner city delinquency and gang culture.

The disparity between the achievement of inner city non whites and ones living in small towns are huge. We agreed on the latter being common place earlier.

I think it comes down to culture and behaviour and nothing more. If a group of inner city young black men want to get involved in gang culture and their parents decide to split up as is often the case in these environments then it's to be expected their prospects and entire area will go down to plug hole if enough do the same. I see the same happen to almost entirely white areas near me going into a death spiral once crime and gangs become the norm. Nobody wants to employ or invest in these areas because the reputation is so poor. Skin colour seems irrelevant.

People who live outside of major cities see this happening. They see people of colour doing perfectly well in their home towns while many whites struggle and read in the papers of rampant crime in city centers commited by the usual suspects.

People who live inside cities only see the one side. The success stories of non whites in smaller towns is never on the news or in the papers for them to read. They just see the poverty non whites live in and automatically think "racism" while everyone else think "behaviour"

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 9:57 am

White Privilege: Getting Stopped In Your
Nice Neighborhood In Your Nice Car
That You Afford Working 80 Hours A
Week Supporting A Wife and Several

(The Black Dude Married to my Great Niece)

Children

For ONLY the Color
OF Your Skin By A Patrolman;

Whereas, i Don't Work at All;

Nope, And Don't Get Stopped,
No Matter What Neighborhood
i Drive in Or What Car i Drive Now
As Long as i Drive White According

to the Law...

'Black Privilege': As Assessed in Research,

African American Folks, Both Male and Female,
Have Higher Levels of Self-Esteem; In the Dance

Hall, Women Are More Attracted to Males with Greater
Self-Esteem That May Be Noted Just By the Way Males

Carry Their Self Without A Word....

Side Note: Per 'Weird Al', i am

No Longer A 'Nerdy White Boy';

(Moving More Like a Lion On the Savannah)

Even As A White Dude Approaching
60; Just The Way i Carried my Self
With Self-Esteem; Enough, Whole,
And Complete Was Enough to Attract

(Never Carried A Dime in my Pocket;
Women Offered me Drinks, i refused,
And Of Course Said No Thanks too)

Women to Me at the Peak of Fertility
Years (Around 21) to the Tune of Thousands
Upon Thousands; Where i Got High 5's By my

(As The Photographic Evidence Irrefutably 'states')

African
American
FRiEnDS

Through the Dance

And The White Dudes too,
When They Figured out 'Success'

Isn't Always Tied to 'Socio-Economic Success'...

Of Course, i Was Only An All Volunteer Anthropology (FOR REAL)

Participant Observer Taking Notes for My Own BIG

RESEARCH PAPER...

And to Be Clear,
Some of the Other
Research i Have done
Has Already Been Cited

In Peer Reviewed National
Institute of Health Research Papers online...

Yet Those Are Applicable to 'The Condition' Of 'Autism Burn-Out'...

Side Note: i'm 'On Fire Now'; Yet i've Learned How Not To 'Burn'...

And Literally A Major Way i Do Not Burn is by Always Moving in Grace Like A Lion on the Savannah...

For It's True, A Balancing Body, FRiEnDS With Gravity, Makes A Balancing Fearless Mind in Grace Inhaling

Peace Best
Exhaling
Love FOR REAL NOW.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7313636/

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/305398295_Race_and_self-esteem

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

Last edited by aghogday on 15 Sep 2021, 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 9:58 am

Fnord wrote:
Nades wrote:
... The number or times I've been called a f*****g prick for my apparent "white privilege" is impressive...
Same here.

As one example, as a veteran, I can sign a mortgage on a house with no down-payment.  Sellers and banks seem to prefer veterans as home-buyers because of this.  Yet, when this (and my high credit rating) results in a seller choosing my offer over all of the other people's offers, some of those other people have then used some rough language to describe me, and have attributed my success as being due to the color of my skin and not the more attractive terms I offered.

And not all of the rough language and false accusations came from non-whites, either.

A house buy was exactly what triggered it off most recently with me. I was told I was a twat and had white privilege because I bought a house quicker than this individual expected. She ignored the fact I work 55 hour weeks on average, never indulge in any expensive treats, have an excellent credit rating with two houses already full paid off and used as security with years of experience with the bank and being a landlord. Apparently it was because I was white.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 10:12 am

Boy....you really meet some doozies, don't you? :P

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 10:37 am

Nades wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Nades wrote:
Same here.  As one example, as a veteran, I can sign a mortgage on a house with no down-payment.  Sellers and banks seem to prefer veterans as home-buyers because of this.  Yet, when this (and my high credit rating) results in a seller choosing my offer over all of the other people's offers, some of those other people have then used some rough language to describe me, and have attributed my success as being due to the color of my skin and not the more attractive terms I offered.  And not all of the rough language and false accusations came from non-whites, either.
A house buy was exactly what triggered it off most recently with me. I was told I was a twat and had white privilege because I bought a house quicker than this individual expected. She ignored the fact I work 55 hour weeks on average, never indulge in any expensive treats, have an excellent credit rating with two houses already full paid off and used as security with years of experience with the bank and being a landlord. Apparently it was because I was white.
Wow.  Déjà vu.

My advancements in military rank ... my grades on college essays and projects ... my degrees ... my career and promotions ... my marriage to a beautiful Filipina ... at every step of the way, there has been someone who attributed my achievements and successes to either my race, my sex, or just plain dumb luck -- never any of the hard work and perseverance on my part; never forgoing a social life; never being where I was supposed to be, when I was supposed to be there, and doing what I was supposed to be doing; and certainly never to trying to be the kind of person that other people (especially women) like being around.  No, according to people who did none of these things, everything I have accomplished was brought about solely because of the color of my skin, my 'Y' chromosome, and the fortuitous occurrences of random chance.

While I am not denying that "White Privilege" may have had some influence, it does not account for all of those white people from my childhood who went on to become felons, junkies, drunks, and homeless people living (or dying) on the streets.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 11:10 am

Fnord wrote:
Nades wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Nades wrote:
Same here.  As one example, as a veteran, I can sign a mortgage on a house with no down-payment.  Sellers and banks seem to prefer veterans as home-buyers because of this.  Yet, when this (and my high credit rating) results in a seller choosing my offer over all of the other people's offers, some of those other people have then used some rough language to describe me, and have attributed my success as being due to the color of my skin and not the more attractive terms I offered.  And not all of the rough language and false accusations came from non-whites, either.
Wow.  Déjà vu.

My advancements in military rank ... my grades on college essays and projects ... my degrees ... my career and promotions ... my marriage to a beautiful Filipina ... at every step of the way, there has been someone who attributed my achievements and successes to either my race, my sex, or just plain dumb luck -- never any of the hard work and perseverance on my part; never forgoing a social life; never being where I was supposed to be, when I was supposed to be there, and doing what I was supposed to be doing; and certainly never to trying to be the kind of person that other people (especially women) like being around.  No, according to people who did none of these things, everything I have accomplished was brought about solely because of the color of my skin, my 'Y' chromosome, and the fortuitous occurrences of random chance.

While I am not denying that "White Privilege" may have had some influence, it does not account for all of those white people from my childhood who went on to become felons, junkies, drunks, and homeless people living (or dying) on the streets.

Sadly I don't have the degrees, the grades (to an extent, still passed high school and college) the wife or the career. I'm sure it makes people even more pissed and assume I'm up to no good or just had preferential treatment.

This is in contrast to two of my white work mates who hanged themselves due to drugs and social problems. Plenty of that where I live sadly. There was even a movie called "Bridgend" after a mysterious spate of hangings, all of them young, all of them seeming to be from a working class family, all of them depressed and all of them white. To this day everyone is baffled as to why but it sums up the bleak nature of predominantly white industrial towns here.

dorkseid
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 11:41 am

XFilesGeek wrote:
The concept of white privilege isn't that your life can't be hard if you're white, it just means your white skin isn't a factor in making it hard.

And I never claimed otherwise. It is this article that I am responding to, not the concept of white privilege.

TheRobotLives wrote:
White privilege seems meaningless, because we cannot know what is better.

Being harassed by police because of your skin color might set you on the right path, while the troubled white kid got left alone by police so he/she is worse off.

Being poor might set you on the path to wanting to be wealthy.

Adversity might make you tougher in life.

So much wisdom contradicts white privilege, and suggests one is better off with *hardship* than *comfort*.

This is basically the same old "bullying/adversity builds character" nonsense that has already been debunked countless times. Its absurd.

XFilesGeek wrote:
^ Oh, it's real. I'm getting to the point I'm almost done with this site seeing as so many posters are so far removed from reality.

Then you'll have to quit the entire Internet, not just WP.

TheRobotLives wrote:
We saw recently when a Latina delivery driver attacked a 67 year old white woman, telling her that she has *white privilege*.

I do not know the full story behind what happened, so I cannot comment. But I have personally been told that white male privilege means that the only reason I was homeless is because I'm too lazy to get a job, so I understand where you are coming from. There are fanatics and bullies on the Left, but that does not negate that white privilege is real.

XFilesGeek wrote:
magz wrote:
Then it would be a textbook example of rationalization.

I've said for a long time that autistic people aren't actually more logical than NTs, they're just better at rationalizing their own emotions.

As far as I am aware, there is no uniform standard for how logical or not autistic people are. The difference is that we are not inherently more logical in our thinking, but that we are significantly less susceptible to the specific fallacies that are directly associated with tribalism and group think.

Last edited by dorkseid on 15 Sep 2021, 2:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dorkseid
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 11:54 am

cyberdad wrote:
dorkseid wrote:
At the very least, I clearly understand matters better than she does..

Are you sure?

Absolutely!

I am not living in some delusional fantasy world in which no white person lives in poverty, white disabled and ND people are never othered or marginalized, and white same-sex couples never face homophobia.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 12:02 pm

dorkseid wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
dorkseid wrote:

Are you sure?

Absolutely!

I am not living in some delusional fantasy world in which no white person lives in poverty, white disabled and ND people are never othered or marginalized, and white same-sex couples never face homophobia.

Where exactly did she claim that? :scratch:
It's a lovely strawman to argue against but that's all it is.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

dorkseid
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 12:06 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
dorkseid wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
dorkseid wrote:

Are you sure?

Absolutely!

Quote:
If You Are a White Person...

... You can travel alone or with your spouse without expecting embarrassment or hostility in those who deal with you.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 12:09 pm

dorkseid wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
dorkseid wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
dorkseid wrote:

Are you sure?

Absolutely!

Quote:
If You Are a White Person...

... You can travel alone or with your spouse without expecting embarrassment or hostility in those who deal with you.

Not explicitly mentioning those issues isn't the same as her explicitly claiming they don't exist. Keep piling hay brother.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う