Why is Biden Prosecuting Assange for Telling the Truth?

Page 2 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2021, 8:49 am

Biden, and all the other criminal ex-presidents, should be the ones locked up.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2021, 8:54 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Julian Assange engaged in acts of espionage against the people and government of the United States of America.
I have never quite understood what was going on with that.  Can you in simple terms say what specifically was wrong with what he did? ...
Espionage is a crime.  Crimes are wrong.

Any more questions?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2021, 11:03 am

Fnord wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Julian Assange engaged in acts of espionage against the people and government of the United States of America.
I have never quite understood what was going on with that.  Can you in simple terms say what specifically was wrong with what he did? ...

Any more questions?

I suppose I don't entirely grasp how espionage works, or what all it involves so not sure specifically what acts of it he committed, I have to assume it was a lot more than 'just telling the truth' since its right wingers who mostly seem to say that. But I have a computer, so I could dig around/research about it. :lol:

Perhaps, I was being lazy.

demeus
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2021, 11:09 am

Assange is being prosecuted because he challenged the government. Neither party wants to pardon him because you can bet that the other party will jump on that.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2021, 11:15 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Any more questions?

I suppose I don't entirely grasp how espionage works, or what all it involves so not sure specifically what acts of it he committed, I have to assume it was a lot more than 'just telling the truth' since its right wingers who mostly seem to say that. But I have a computer, so I could dig around/research about it. :lol:

If it were 1944, and I, an American, knew when and where the DDay landing was going to happen, and I gave that info to Nazi Germany, so they could counter the DDay Invasion and win... that would mean that I was guilty of something akin to treason. Would it not?

Thats the issue. He took state secrets and made them public. Regardless of his motive (good or bad). Though Assange wasnt working for a specific enemy state like your stereotypical spy, he did broadcast state secrets to the world. Justified, or not.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2021, 8:26 pm

Fnord wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Any more questions?

yes: is it right that the US espionage act determines what other country's citizens can and can't do in other countries?

btw. Assange at first published information very carefully, then a bunch of newspapers just dumped it all out into the public, names uncensored and all. So Assange just followed suit and released the rest.
yet, the newspapers weren't locked up in solitary confinement without indictment.
The UN High Commissioner for torture took on the case. He considers the treatment of Assange as torture, and tgerby a human rights violation.
Why is it okay for the US to commit torture and extrajudicial killings, and then torture one of the guys who publicized it?

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2021, 9:29 pm

naturalplastic wrote:

If it were 1944, and I, an American, knew when and where the DDay landing was going to happen, and I gave that info to Nazi Germany, so they could counter the DDay Invasion and win... that would mean that I was guilty of something akin to treason. Would it not?

In order for your analogy to work, you'd have to be a non-US citizen of a third party country, as Assange is not a US citizen and thus cannot commit treason against us.

naturalplastic wrote:
Thats the issue. He took state secrets and made them public. Regardless of his motive (good or bad). Though Assange wasnt working for a specific enemy state like your stereotypical spy, he did broadcast state secrets to the world. Justified, or not.

That's not illegal though, I could publish top secret documents tomorrow and the government couldn't do anything about it, what they're going after him for is making a circuitous claim that he helped Manning steal the files or crack the encryption, which from what I've seen is not a particularly strong case. It's basically revenge and a warning to others at this point, we're trying to send a message to other would be leakers and their publishers that we'll make their lives a living hell if they do something like this.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2021, 11:47 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:

They can put him in a suicide proof cell. They're control freaks so they want him to die by their hand, not his own.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2021, 11:51 pm

shlaifu wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Any more questions?

yes: is it right that the US espionage act determines what other country's citizens can and can't do in other countries?

btw. Assange at first published information very carefully, then a bunch of newspapers just dumped it all out into the public, names uncensored and all. So Assange just followed suit and released the rest.
yet, the newspapers weren't locked up in solitary confinement without indictment.
The UN High Commissioner for torture took on the case. He considers the treatment of Assange as torture, and tgerby a human rights violation.
Why is it okay for the US to commit torture and extrajudicial killings, and then torture one of the guys who publicized it?

Crimes are wrong. So why go after only one criminal?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2021, 3:20 am

@Sweetleaf

:oops: Never mind. Forget what i said.

@Dox

I get Assange confused with whatshisname. Snowden. :oops:

I was thinking of Snowden while talking about Assange (not that I have strong opinons for or against either one, just that you're right-that what applies to the American Snowden wouldnt apply to Assange).

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2021, 4:57 am

Fnord wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Any more questions?

Many people don't see what Assange did as a crime (barring his sexual exploits).
He is seen, by some, as an investigative reporter exposing corruption. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2021, 5:00 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Any more questions?

He is an Australia, so it wasn't treason in regard to the Amerians. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2021, 5:04 am

Dox47 wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

In order for your analogy to work, you'd have to be a non-US citizen of a third party country, as Assange is not a US citizen and thus cannot commit treason against us.

naturalplastic wrote:

That's not illegal though, I could publish top secret documents tomorrow and the government couldn't do anything about it, what they're going after him for is making a circuitous claim that he helped Manning steal the files or crack the encryption, which from what I've seen is not a particularly strong case. It's basically revenge and a warning to others at this point, we're trying to send a message to other would be leakers and their publishers that we'll make their lives a living hell if they do something like this.

This sounds about right, but I haven't been following the saga closely.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2021, 6:06 pm

Assange deserves a statue erected in his honor. Biden deserves a f*****g bullet in his head.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2021, 8:51 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
Assange deserves a statue erected in his honor. Biden deserves a f*****g bullet in his head.

OUCH! 8O
What got up your nose, today? :scratch:
Is it because he skrewed Scott Morrison and is brown-nosing Macron? :mrgreen:

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2021, 10:10 pm

VegetableMan wrote:

...in Minecraft, right?