Cultural Differences - Liberal vs Conservative

Page 4 of 5 [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2021, 7:41 am

thinkinginpictures wrote:
If a cola was forced down my throat, I'd do everything I could to ban Coca Cola and Pepsi and every other cola.

I can be like that, too, at times, but controlling that negative, reactionary instinct is an important life skill. It's completely counterproductive, and I'm sure you can see that. So, no, society has no obligation to pander to it.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2021, 7:43 am

Nades wrote:
Wrong. There are two types of law. Legislative law and common law. A state can make whatever laws it likes but a jury or judge can repeal them when it so desires for any reason. Do you think a state will get very far if they decide to make being gay a capital offence in this day and age?

There is no judge or jury on earth that will allow such far reaching immorality, law or not.

You seem to wrongly assume legislation can override basic human instinct of fair treatment. It can't and laws aside, you propose a two tier nation where one group desires to sponge off another group. The latter group being more powerful and in control of all the resources.........how on earth can that work?

Do you really think thousands of basement dwelling manchilds who have no jobs can get one over on millionaire business owners, farmers, teachers, lawyers, soldiers and industrial workers who are probably far more intelligent and taken more seriously?

You completely ignore the SCIENTIFIC results of UBI in Finland.
It's conclusion is clear: UBI works and there's no side-effects.

So stop your personal attacks, and take SCIENCE serious.

No it doesn't work. Apart from some small scale experiments done by states, UBI has never been fully implemented and states seem extremely reluctant to do so on may large scale. It appears that these small scale experiments are abandon for a reason.

Secondly, by your own admittance you appear to be receiving handouts from the state along with living in a property that someone else (or the state) owns but make a lot of threads on a website where people have tremendous difficulty finding employment and those who do struggle with it. It's no surprise your views when combined with what I mentioned above rubs people up the wrong way here.

thinkinginpictures
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2021, 7:44 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
If a cola was forced down my throat, I'd do everything I could to ban Coca Cola and Pepsi and every other cola.

I can be like that, too, at times, but controlling that negative, reactionary instinct is an important life skill. It's completely counterproductive, and I'm sure you can see that. So, no, society has no obligation to pander to it.

It's an evolutionary survival strategy and therefore healthy.

thinkinginpictures
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2021, 7:49 am

Nades wrote:
No it doesn't work. Apart from some small scale experiments done by states, UBI has never been fully implemented and states seem extremely reluctant to do so on may large scale. It appears that these small scale experiments are abandon for a reason.

Secondly, by your own admittance you appear to be receiving handouts from the state along with living in a property that someone else (or the state) owns but make a lot of threads on a website where people have tremendous difficulty finding employment and those who do struggle with it. It's no surprise your views when combined with what I mentioned above rubs people up the wrong way here.

1. Please refrain from commenting on my personal/private stuff on this website.
You can comment on what I choose to share, but this thread is not about me.

2. UBI is abandoned because those in power will lose their power. It will be the death of the labor unions, because they'll no longer have a "Great Cause" to "Unite The Laborers", if everyone were set free.

That's why UBI is abandoned. It's not because it won't work or cannot pay off.
It's solely a matter of power politics.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2021, 7:51 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
Yet, the concept is based upon the principle of having the ACTUAL and FREE choice to say NO to work.
- And yet, people don't just go unemployed for eternity.

This is liberty. This is what I'm talking about. I've never advocated lazyness. I'm advocating liberty and free choice.

What would you do with your days if you didn't have to worry about your most basic needs?

Choose an occupation, such as voluntary work.

I'm not against work/labor.
I'm against being forced to do it.

That Coca-Cola tastes so much better, when it's not being forced down your throat, right?

I think it would help your position if you choose to talk about it differently. More in the way I framed it, as a way of removing stress and actually making people more productive. No one wants to hear about the freedom to not work. It comes across as self-centered and lazy, for the reasons I described in my earlier post: we have an obligation to contribute to the shared survival of our species. There really is no escaping that; someone has to do the work. And, honestly, work gives purpose and structure to daily life. But, sure, ideally we should be able to choose work that best suits our talents and priorities, instead of fretting over how much it pays (or doesn't pay) and if that will be enough for us to eat that week.

I personally haven't decided if universal basic income could work here or if I favor it, but it is an intriguing idea and not completely without merit.

I agree with your conclusion, but I honestly cannot see the difference in how to talk about it.

To me, it's one and the same thing - I WANT to contribute to society. But I can't if I'm being forced to do it, and certainly not in ways that will only cause more stress and psychological/mental damage.

People hold a lot of associations with words and concepts. The way you talk about UBI brings out all sorts of negative associations and implications for most people, including me. You need to show people that you understand what worries and bothers them, and address their specific concerns.

I understand what you are saying about being forced, but that isn't a common factor for most adults. Most adults are capable of doing things simply because they know they are necessary to the human experience; acquiring that ability is an essential part of becoming an adult. Work is necessary to the human experience. So to suggest someone could choose not to work in any manner, well, it pushes a lot of buttons.

thinkinginpictures
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2021, 7:56 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
I understand what you are saying about being forced, but that isn't a common factor for most adults. Most adults are capable of doing things simply because they know they are necessary to the human experience; acquiring that ability is an essential part of becoming an adult. Work is necessary to the human experience. So to suggest someone could choose not to work in any manner, well, it pushes a lot of buttons.

Can we discuss my reasons in PM? I'm not feeling safe discussing such private matters on a public website.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2021, 7:57 am

2. UBI is abandoned because those in power will lose their power. It will be the death of the labor unions, because they'll no longer have a "Great Cause" to "Unite The Laborers", if everyone were set free.

That's why UBI is abandoned. It's not because it won't work or cannot pay off.
It's solely a matter of power politics.

I don't think that is true. It isn't solely about power politics. Truth is that it is a hard sell. You have to convince people who are over-worked and over-stressed that they need to take what will seem to them to be a huge gamble, with no guarantee that it will actually improve their own lots in life eventually, as well. Instinct is to hoard what one has earned through one's own hard work, not share it. It's a leap of faith that goes beyond what most people are capable of.

Face it, I know the data but I'm not ready to jump in. I've worked too hard for too long and don't have enough life left to wait for a long term pay off.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2021, 8:02 am

DW_a_mom wrote:

Can we discuss my reasons in PM? I'm not feeling safe discussing such private matters on a public website.

Understandable, one should be cautious. But I need to leave the conversation and get off this site; I have a work deadline and have already let myself be distracted here far too long. I haven't stayed up working all night for the joy of PPR. This was supposed to just be a short break to reset my overloaded brain.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2021, 8:11 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
I understand what you are saying about being forced, but that isn't a common factor for most adults.  Most adults are capable of doing things simply because they know they are necessary to the human experience; acquiring that ability is an essential part of becoming an adult.  Work is necessary to the human experience.  So to suggest someone could choose not to work in any manner, well, it pushes a lot of buttons.
While it may "push a lot of buttons", it is nonetheless true that some capable people will deliberately choose a lifestyle in which they do little or nothing to earn their income and upkeep.

Take my ex-wife...

:wink: ... please!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

thinkinginpictures
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2021, 8:53 am

Fnord wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
I understand what you are saying about being forced, but that isn't a common factor for most adults.  Most adults are capable of doing things simply because they know they are necessary to the human experience; acquiring that ability is an essential part of becoming an adult.  Work is necessary to the human experience.  So to suggest someone could choose not to work in any manner, well, it pushes a lot of buttons.
While it may "push a lot of buttons", it is nonetheless true that some capable people will deliberately choose a lifestyle in which they do little or nothing to earn their income and upkeep.

Take my ex-wife...

It is also nonetheless true that most of those choosing a lifestyle where they do nothing are doing it because they have severe health issues - often psychological (mental) disorders. Pushing them beyond what they're capable of won't solve anything. It will just make them homeless and even in worse conditions and further away from contributing ANYTHING to society.

They tried something like that in the UK. Google "Atos Death Toll" and you'll see how many people this psychopathic system of work assessment schemes killed - deliberately to save on public expenditures.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2021, 8:59 am

Fnord wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
While it may "push a lot of buttons", it is nonetheless true that some capable people will deliberately choose a lifestyle in which they do little or nothing to earn their income and upkeep.  Take my ex-wife...

It is also nonetheless true that most of those choosing a lifestyle where they do nothing are doing it because they have severe health issues - often psychological (mental) disorders. Pushing them beyond what they're capable of won't solve anything. It will just make them homeless and even in worse conditions and further away from contributing ANYTHING to society.
You did notice the phrase "capable people" in my post to which you replied, did you not?  I have a particular issue with certain women who marry young and then retire from the workforce to live solely off their husbands' incomes.  I hope I have made that clear.

Some people CANNOT work, and for them there is really no other choice to make.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

thinkinginpictures
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2021, 9:25 am

I agree. But the issue is often how you define "cannot work".

It's a very nuanced topic, more than you might think.

I'm a Dane. In Denmark we have multiple benefits ranging from basic unemployment benefits (literally translated to "Cash Assistance") and "Regular Unemployment Benefits", to Unemployment Benefits during Temporary Sickness and "Long term Sickness Benefits" and lastly two types of Disability Benefits: Flexible Jobs as well as Disability Pension.

Every benefit, except Disability Pension, requires work in return for benefits. If you don't work, you don't get your benefits.

In general, if you're assessed, you'd either be on "Cash Assistance" or Sickness Uemployment benefits, until you can get the Long term Sickness Benefits. Then it will be decided if you can work 1 hour or more/a week and have a potential to increase that further up within a "reasonable time period" (not defined! - It can be months or even years) you can get a Flexible Job of 1 hour/a week.

If the condition is permanent, and you can only work few hours a week (again, undefined, but usually it's about 5 hours/week) - and everyone agrees that the condition is permanent, you can get a Disability Pension. This can be re-assessed after a period, usually 3 or 5 years later, but it depends on whether your condition has an unpredictable outcome or not. Most people who get re-assessed their pension end up with it permanently, but in any case the law states that if you get a better work-capability than when you got your Disability Pension, it will be re-assessed and you can lose it.

However people on Disability Benefits may still perform voluntary work, whatever they're capable of.
Though, if their condition permanently gets better, they can lose their Disability Pension.

Now, it's these two undefined terms and hours which are open to interpretation. And usually the authorities have a very strict definition of those.

Yet, despite all these regulations and assessments, politicians from the Right insists that people who are sick and permanently disabled and live on Disability Pensions should be tested and re-assessed more and more. It never stops.

There is only one thing which can satisfy the Right-wingers: A complete abolition of Disability Benefits and having voting restrictions to those receiving Unemployment Benefits of any kind.

This is why I go to the other extreme: I demand that UBI should be a universal right for every citizen.

I'm so sick and tired of this disability-bashing in my country. It happens not only in Denmark. I've watched the news on BBC how they did it in the UK where they literally committed genocide on disabled people who could not work. People with severe health conditions were forced into working conditions which only worsened their health and even killed them, despite doctors warnings (or perhaps BECAUSE of doctors warnings...).

You can just google "Atos Death Toll".
https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... wp-figures

The Danish Employers Organizations wants the Atos Death Toll to happen in Denmark as well. That's evil.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2021, 4:26 pm

it needs to be said that there is not a GD thing wrong with laziness. so there. i'm lazy (but i prefer the term "energy conservation"), and anybody that doesn't like it can go suck a big rotten egg.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2021, 8:06 pm

@thinkinginpictures
I want to express some empathy for your frustration and worry about the lines and decisions involved with enforcing them.

I deal with a lot of depression, which is a very invisible disability and that does definitely hinder my ability to work productively. I only end up working all night because I just couldn't get my act together long enough, early enough to get things done when I should have. When I say I work hard, it isn't as much in pure, productive hours as it is pushing and pulling myself against everything inside me that would rather pull inwards inside my own head instead of outwards, able to do what needs to get done. I'm lucky that I can succeed against the gravitational pull inwards long enough to produce work that others are willing to pay a premium for ... and to wait for. Not everyone is so lucky, and I do know that. I do believe we have a duty to make sure those people are able to live and find a way to contribute regardless of what their own struggle is.

The problem is with quantifying that, and with leaving the determination in someone else's hands. Universal basic income removes the judgement, and simply provides a guarantee. Removing the arbitrary decision making and judgment is a good thing. That is a strong "pro" argument for UBI. Put the judgement removal argument together with the economic one, of what happens when your remove stress from people's lives, and the idea of UBI clearly has merit.

The offset is that different people have different motivations and goals. I've met people who lack any desire to challenge themselves, ever, in any way, and glide through the world expecting things to be handed to them not because they need it, but because they feel "entitled." They have bought into inaccurate assumptions about pretty much everything, and don't have the slightest clue how to be grateful, nor do they understand how fulfilling being productive based on your own merit and hard work can be. It is literally harmful to their lives to hand them anything. It stalls their development as people.

The two concepts are always at war with each other.

No one looking at either should do so without some understanding of the other. Both are essential to making decisions about any social program as norm-bustingly large as UBI.

When you talk about "freedom to not work," you call up images of the self-entitled, not of the those unable to work productively for invisible reasons. As someone who lives right on the line between being able to work and not, always having to push myself over it, I can't help but resent the concept. It's like telling me my entire life struggle was built on a lie. You have to understand that most people live some version of playing with that line, yet they get themselves over it. That is why patience towards those who aren't willing to make that push wears thin. To choose your own freedom at the cost of your neighbor's freedom is not acceptable. The difference between "I could push but don't want to" and "I'm trying to push but can't get there" is a very fine line that is difficult to place accurately, but it exists and it has to be acknowledged.

Last edited by DW_a_mom on 08 Oct 2021, 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2021, 8:19 pm

auntblabby wrote:
it needs to be said that there is not a GD thing wrong with laziness. so there. i'm lazy (but i prefer the term "energy conservation"), and anybody that doesn't like it can go suck a big rotten egg.

He he, I do have to agree with you.

Lazy is great as long as it isn't at the expense of others. Always be aware of where the line is, when your laziness makes more work and frustration for someone else.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2021, 3:07 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

He he, I do have to agree with you.

Lazy is great as long as it isn't at the expense of others. Always be aware of where the line is, when your laziness makes more work and frustration for someone else.

i waited decades and scrimped and saved and had a lucky break here and there, to be able to be lazy. i hadda work my donkey off before then. i hated the hell outta that. i'm not costin' anybody anything other than them no longer being able to browbeat me on the grindstone. but it must be said that i am in favor of truly lazy other folks to bypass the work hell i had to go through, i believe in a UBI that would keep folks like me poor but alive and sheltered and nominally fed. i would be willing to pay taxes for that and NOT for our obscenely bloated MIC supporting wealthy sociopaths.