Page 1 of 29 [ 458 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 29  Next

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2021, 8:30 pm

https://octoberstrike.com/

There's discussion and planning of a general strike in the US seeking to pursue a 25% corporate tax rate (No loopholes), Free Healthcare for all, 12 weeks paid paternity and maternity leave, $20 minimum wage, 4 day work week and bans on single use and micro plastics, and limited emissions.

Do you believe there will be any significant participation? If so, how do you think it will be responded to?

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2021, 8:18 am

I believe that it will be just another media-hyped non-event, with the usual flakes and freaks participating.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2021, 8:30 am

Fnord wrote:
I believe that it will be just another media-hyped non-event, with the usual flakes and freaks participating.

It always is.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2021, 8:33 am

This is the first I'm "hearing" of this. If this were serious, we would have certainly heard about it already.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2021, 8:43 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
This is the first I'm "hearing" of this. If this were serious, we would have certainly heard about it already.

Isn't that how older folks typically react to things organized by people young enough to be their kids? Might you just have not been in the loop?

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2021, 8:44 am

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2021, 8:48 am

funeralxempire wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
Isn't that how older folks typically react to things organized by people young enough to be their kids?  Might you just have not been in the loop?
If the kids do not want to keep us older folks in the loop, then they must not want our participation.  I will be happy to oblige.  Besides, what with the lack of organization and the change of leadership, this is looking more and more like just another sad case of "Hashtag Activism".

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2021, 8:49 am

funeralxempire wrote:

A Propagandist wrote:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2021, 9:08 am

Fnord wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
Isn't that how older folks typically react to things organized by people young enough to be their kids?  Might you just have not been in the loop?
If the kids do not want to keep us older folks in the loop, then they must not want our participation.  I will be happy to oblige.  Besides, what with the lack of organization and the change of leadership, this is looking more and more like just another sad case of "Hashtag Activism".

How much time do you spend engaging with labor communities, or with online activist communities? It's hard to blame people for failing to invite you when you chose to not associate with them.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2021, 9:12 am

I'm a civil servant. I wouldn't be able to participate in this, even if I wanted to.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2021, 9:12 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Fnord wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
How much time do you spend engaging with labor communities, or with online activist communities? It's hard to blame people for failing to invite you when you chose to not associate with them.
It is hard to associate with people who do not invite me, so why bother?

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2021, 9:14 am

Fnord wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

A Propagandist wrote:

You beat me to it, Fnord.

On paper, it sounds good to want all of those things for everyone. Except for the problem: who will pay for it in the end? You can not give that without taking from someone else. I think this event is going to be a dud.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2021, 9:19 am

QuantumChemist wrote:
On paper, it sounds good to want all of those things for everyone. Except for the problem: who will pay for it in the end? You can not give that without taking from someone else. I think this event is going to be a dud.

No one's suggesting such things would be free, that's why advocating for raising corporate taxes is part of the agenda. It's probably not going to achieve anything directly, but what other option is there? Counting on the centre-right Dems to advance working class interests clearly doesn't work, they're a part of the problem.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2021, 9:19 am

QuantumChemist wrote:
... I think this event is going to be a dud.
I shall check the Mayan Calendar to see if the Apocalypse is also scheduled for that day.

:lol:

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2021, 9:47 am

funeralxempire wrote:
QuantumChemist wrote:

No one's suggesting such things would be free, that's why advocating for raising corporate taxes is part of the agenda. It's probably not going to achieve anything directly, but what other option is there? Counting on the centre-right Dems to advance working class interests clearly doesn't work, they're a part of the problem.

OK, so you raise the corporate taxes and then what? Corporations are going to adjust their prices higher to makeup for the tax loss, so who really gets to pay for it? We will go into a higher and higher inflation era overall. That inflation issue eventually causes job losses, those same jobs that you want to be payed better for. Who really wins?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2021, 9:49 am

Somehow, George Jetson worked 3-day weeks, about 4 hours a day.