Page 20 of 29 [ 458 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 29  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2021, 11:06 am

20 pages and counting over a nonevent.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

demeus
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2021, 11:14 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:

Because there is more to the discussion than the non-event. While the general strike did not happen, these things are happening:

1) Smaller Strikes at target companies such as John Deere and Kellogg (and many local strikes such as nurses at Buffalo Mercy Hospital in Buffalo, NY)

2) People are resigning their jobs en mass for better jobs. 4.3 million people left their jobs, mostly in service industries, in August

3) There is a new thing called job ghosting where someone takes the job for a few days to a week and then suddenly does not show up and no one knows that happened to them. Usually because that is when the employer finds out they do not have the skills the job requires but cannot fire them if they quit first.

Just because a large scale event did not happen does not mean that smaller things which might have more of an effect are not happening. We will see whether the small actions work.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2021, 11:22 am

Of those 4.3 million people who left their jobs in August, I wonder how many of them found jobs outside their former industries, switched jobs with another person within the same industries, or merely quit their jobs and went home.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2021, 11:28 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:

The topic has shifted to discussing why labour unrest is growing. :nerdy:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2021, 11:31 am

Fnord wrote:
Of those 4.3 million people who left their jobs in August, I wonder how many of them found jobs outside their former industries, switched jobs with another person within the same industries, or merely quit their jobs and went home.

Went home in this context can also mean began working for themselves. If someone became a streamer (for example) that might appear like they don't have a job to those who don't understand that streaming is a job that can pay the bills (or better).

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2021, 11:41 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Went home in this context can also mean began working for themselves. If someone became a streamer (for example) that might appear like they don't have a job to those who don't understand that streaming is a job that can pay the bills (or better).
I understand that, of course.  Then I wonder how many became successful enough to pay their bills (or better), and how many were forced to seek outside employment.

It is all well and good to find a better job; but how many actually succeed in that effort?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2021, 11:50 am

Fnord wrote:
I understand that, of course.  Then I wonder how many became successful enough to pay their bills (or better), and how many were forced to seek outside employment.

It is all well and good to find a better job; but how many actually succeed in that effort?

I figured that you understand that distinction, it's just one that's commonly overlooked.

There's also other factors like what it costs to get to work, how much more of your life is wasted in that commute, how the job impacts one's mental health, etc. Even if you end up grossing less the other benefits can help tip the scales.

It would be interesting to see stats because even having a lot of anecdotal cases isn't proof that it often works out, but stats will help put the anecdotes into context.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2021, 11:52 am

funeralxempire wrote:
... It would be interesting to see stats because even having a lot of anecdotal cases isn't proof that it often works out, but stats will help put the anecdotes into context.
Certainly.  Anecdotes and rumors do not tell the full story, or necessarily even the true story.

As someone keeps saying, "Evidence, please?"

:wink:

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2021, 11:58 am

have signed ....!

where ever you go ,there you are

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2021, 12:10 pm

/\Yay!

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2021, 1:08 pm

Strike map.
https://aflcio.org/strike-map?source=10 ... d-counting

demeus
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2021, 3:59 pm

Fnord wrote:

Unfortunately the data does not say that and going home can mean quite a few things.

Most of the industries seeing people quitting their job (or becoming ghost employees) are retail, service, and hospitality industries. My guess is that most of those people are either older people who are finding that they can get more money from Social Security by retiring than by working, people finding better jobs with better pay, either within our outside the industry, or parents who suddenly find themselves caring for a quarantined child because their classmate was DX'd with COVID.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2021, 4:08 pm

demeus wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Unfortunately the data does not say that and going home can mean quite a few things.

Most of the industries seeing people quitting their job (or becoming ghost employees) are retail, service, and hospitality industries. My guess is that most of those people are either older people who are finding that they can get more money from Social Security by retiring than by working, people finding better jobs with better pay, either within our outside the industry, or parents who suddenly find themselves caring for a quarantined child because their classmate was DX'd with COVID.

Let's not forget the 600k or so who have died, many of them abandoned jobs as part of the experience. :nerdy:

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2021, 4:27 pm

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2021, 5:29 pm

Misslizard wrote:

Thank you for that link :D

where ever you go ,there you are

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2021, 5:58 pm