Majority of Republicans Want Trump to Run Again

Page 3 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2021, 1:26 pm

No non-career politician will ever win the presidency again. The elites can not take the chance of their abuses being exposed by an outsider.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2021, 1:47 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Descartes wrote:
What establishment Democrats are we talking about? The party as a whole has been drifting more and more to the left in recent decades on both economic and social issues.

Being critical of a politician is one thing. Acting as though both candidates were the same, which many leftists said about Clinton and Trump, is frankly bulls**t.

By drifting to the left you mean they now have a handful of token progressives and that they will take a stand on social issues so long as they never need to give any attention to economic concerns? They're not the same as Trump, but they're the same as Mitt Romney only with better social policies and they count on that to be enough to make left-wing voters support them. They don't deserve the left's support because they are hostile to earning it.

Say what you want, but the party has become more progressive. In 2016, they ran on the most progressive platform in their party's history.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-e ... ry-n606646

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2021, 2:31 pm

Descartes wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Descartes wrote:
What establishment Democrats are we talking about? The party as a whole has been drifting more and more to the left in recent decades on both economic and social issues.

Being critical of a politician is one thing. Acting as though both candidates were the same, which many leftists said about Clinton and Trump, is frankly bulls**t.

By drifting to the left you mean they now have a handful of token progressives and that they will take a stand on social issues so long as they never need to give any attention to economic concerns? They're not the same as Trump, but they're the same as Mitt Romney only with better social policies and they count on that to be enough to make left-wing voters support them. They don't deserve the left's support because they are hostile to earning it.

Say what you want, but the party has become more progressive. In 2016, they ran on the most progressive platform in their party's history.

Platitudes and mantras aren't enough.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2021, 2:38 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Descartes wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Descartes wrote:

Platitudes and mantras aren't enough.

Republican obstructionism is a b***h. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

27 Oct 2021, 6:21 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Descartes wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Descartes wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Descartes wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Descartes wrote:
I wouldn't discount the role sexism played in the 2016 election. I strongly doubt most Americans care about "Wall Street", and Biden easily won 2020 and picked up a couple of red states even though he has a more conservative record than Clinton. I remember hearing this saying, the day a woman loses the job to a man vastly underqualified compared to her is just another Tuesday in America.

People viscerally dislike Hillary Clinton and it isn't all motivated by sexism.

Why the visceral hate, though? Women are historically seen as easy targets and scapegoats for people's anger.

You'd have to ask those people, but it's not just limited to far-right people. She isn't well liked among left-leaning Americans I've known either.

Sexism is rampant among the left, too.

It's more than just sexism, she's a condescending and smug neo-liberal who makes younger progressives and leftists cringe.

I find politicians like Bernie Sanders very condescending and smug, yet he is wildly popular among the left. And neoliberal gets used so much now, it's lost its meaning.

Not if you're familiar with it's meaning. Establishment Democrats have very similar economic ideals as Reaganites, they're not progressives and they're certainly not on the left so why would leftists want to support them? One would expect leftists to be critical of their opponents.

It’s the far left who aren’t progressive - look at the likes of Tlaib and Omar. I’m also not sure what meaningful version of the US political spectrum doesn’t place the Democratic Party on the left - there’s pretty clear daylight between Manchin and Romney, never mind mainstream Democrats and Romney.

Joe Biden ran considerably to the left of the Clintons, Gore, Kerry and Obama. He’s trying to raise corporation tax, which is not only opposed by a large majority of economists, but is also not what people think of when they think of Reaganomics. He’s fiercely advocated for union power at a time when unions are protecting bad cops and bad teachers all over the country. He’s engaged in a massive programme of wealth redestribution. Biden may have distanced himself from some of the far left’s crazier demands, but he’s governing as a radical, not as Reagan:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... al-winning

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2021, 7:41 am

Maybe somewhat "progressive"---but I wouldn't associate the word "radical" (both in its positive and negative connotations) to Biden.

The times are causing the seeming "radicalization"----and the obvious impacts of Climate Change.

How would Franklin Delano Roosevelt have governed had there not been a Depression when he was elected? I don't suspect he would have been so "New Dealish" in his approach.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2021, 1:29 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
. Biden may have distanced himself from some of the far left’s crazier demands, but he’s governing as a radical, not as Reagan:

Yeah, this has been a real bait and switch as far as Biden won by selling himself as a return to normalcy guy who was going to reach across the aisle, maybe only have one term, and generally not rock the boat, but at some point someone whispered in his ear that he could be FDR 2.0 with the slimmest majority in memory of not history, and he's been wasting political capitol swinging for the fences with outsized and unpopular programs ever since. What's really surprised me has been the political incompetence displayed by this administration, I don't have much respect for Biden's positions, but I'd counted on him being a seasoned politician after a lifetime in the Senate and White House who knew when to compromise and how to keep everyone relatively happy, but that's not how he's been governing. He can't even get his own caucus together, never mind the Republicans, and with the way things are going, he could be a lame duck in a matter of months.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2021, 6:43 pm

Dox47 wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
. Biden may have distanced himself from some of the far left’s crazier demands, but he’s governing as a radical, not as Reagan:

Yeah, this has been a real bait and switch as far as Biden won by selling himself as a return to normalcy guy who was going to reach across the aisle, maybe only have one term, and generally not rock the boat, but at some point someone whispered in his ear that he could be FDR 2.0 with the slimmest majority in memory of not history, and he's been wasting political capitol swinging for the fences with outsized and unpopular programs ever since. What's really surprised me has been the political incompetence displayed by this administration, I don't have much respect for Biden's positions, but I'd counted on him being a seasoned politician after a lifetime in the Senate and White House who knew when to compromise and how to keep everyone relatively happy, but that's not how he's been governing. He can't even get his own caucus together, never mind the Republicans, and with the way things are going, he could be a lame duck in a matter of months.

Can not disagree with anything said here. The only I would add is that I am baffled how not only Biden but the party as a whole thought such a fiscal and cultural agenda would pass with such a minute majority and their own parties voters demonstrating they are not “radical”. This thread is about demonstrating why Republican politicians feel the need to toe the MAGA line. That is understandable. Democrat politicians feeling the need to pass such a fiscally reckless budget with the “anti racism” and equity agenda is not.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2021, 6:58 pm

Democrats can't win without the left, so if they don't do enough to keep those voters supporting them they'll be choosing to run with less support next time around since it will serve as a reminder that Democrats are still useless.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2021, 7:15 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Democrats can't win without the left, so if they don't do enough to keep those voters supporting them they'll be choosing to run with less support next time around since it will serve as a reminder that Democrats are still useless.

Who else are the left going to vote for? The religious right gained power in this country by making credible threats not to vote and occasionally following through on them, where as leftists always seem to bow to "blue no matter who" in the end. If you the party to do what you want, you need to be willing to shoot the hostage, or at least make people believe you will, which the left seems loathe to do. Say what you will about the Trumpists, they actually tanked the Georgia run off elections out of pure spite, which is why the GOP fears them and does what they want, where as the DNC is perfectly comfortable losing the blue check crowd as they know they'll always come back out of fear of the GOP if nothing else.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2021, 8:09 pm

Dox47 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Who else are the left going to vote for? The religious right gained power in this country by making credible threats not to vote and occasionally following through on them, where as leftists always seem to bow to "blue no matter who" in the end. If you the party to do what you want, you need to be willing to shoot the hostage, or at least make people believe you will, which the left seems loathe to do. Say what you will about the Trumpists, they actually tanked the Georgia run off elections out of pure spite, which is why the GOP fears them and does what they want, where as the DNC is perfectly comfortable losing the blue check crowd as they know they'll always come back out of fear of the GOP if nothing else.

I'd suggest that might be the strategy to imitate since so far the Democrats treat the left like some annoying problem they don't want to be associated with and that they certainly don't want to do anything to encourage or appease, but yet they still seem convinced they're entitled to left-wing votes.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2021, 8:18 pm

If he does run; (and doesn't win) in 2024 I can him now saying it was because of election fraud.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2021, 8:25 pm

Aspinator wrote:
If he does run; (and doesn't win) in 2024 I can him now saying it was because of election fraud.

In 2024 he'll still be gathering donations to contest the 2020 result :lol:

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2021, 8:33 pm

If Trump runs and loses, we could have another 1/6.

On the other hand, if SCROTUS strikes down gerrymandering and voter suppression laws, and he runs, it means permanent one-party rule by the Dems.

A glorious day it would be.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2021, 9:54 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
I'd suggest that might be the strategy to imitate since so far the Democrats treat the left like some annoying problem they don't want to be associated with and that they certainly don't want to do anything to encourage or appease, but yet they still seem convinced they're entitled to left-wing votes.

Heh, I've been telling my left wing friends that for years, but they won't believe me, they think I'm concern trolling them. To be fair, the GOP has gotten worse in this regard during the Trump years, lashing out at libertarians and such who don't toe the party line on election day, but it's still nowhere near as bad as the Democrats with the left, or the black vote, or any other contingency they think they are owed the votes of. Not that they'll ever give you anything, it's just fearmongering all the way down.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2021, 11:48 pm

It seems that the current White House Chief of Staff, is anticipating Mr Trump running again, with this resulting in a second Trump administration, based on his retweet:
Original tweet: https://twitter.com/EricLevitz/status/1453489603739013123, as retweets cannot be linked to directly. Retweet is currently present on user's twitter page, and referenced several times in comments under original tweet...