Page 1 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2020, 1:15 pm

The Philosophers' Strike continues into its fifth straight week, with no end in sight.  Union leaders promise to continue the strike until everyone starts taking philosophers just as seriously as scientists.

If the strike goes on, we can only expect the philosophy shortage to increase, and experts worry that people will soon no longer be able to know whether or not it is possible to know if they know what they think they know, or not.

Experts warn that the strike could have far-reaching impacts in aesthetics, ethics, and logic.  In particular, the struggling Metaphysics industry may not be able to survive a prolonged conflict.

Since the strike began, some scientists have attempted to fill in doing philosophy, with disastrous results.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Julalloyd
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Jun 2020, 1:35 pm

Priceless - with everyone so mindfully in the now emptying there minds of all creative thoughts that pop into there minds - the concept of independent thought and agency Is slowly being erased from even being a desirable state of mind. Radically accepting zero debate .....

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2020, 1:41 pm

Philosophy informs Mathematics, Science, Medicine, Technology, Law, Politics, Government, Economics, Business, Journalism, Communication, Education, Art, Music, Design, Religion, Social Work, and Ethics -- including disability rights and democracy.

Therefore, the world will be closed until further notice.

Lay on, Macduff! :twisted:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2020, 2:12 pm

BREAKING NEWS: The Epistemology Union has gone on strike, claiming they have no way to know what their wages are.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2020, 2:25 pm

Well, considering Mathematics is applied Philosophy, all of these professionals owe them some kickback.

Have you paid your Philosophy taxes as a scientist?

Borromeo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2020, 2:39 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Philosophy informs Mathematics, Science, Medicine, Technology, Law, Politics, Government, Economics, Business, Journalism, Communication, Education, Art, Music, Design, Religion, Social Work, and Ethics -- including disability rights and democracy.

Therefore, the world will be closed until further notice.

Lay on, Macduff! :twisted:

I love this.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2020, 5:01 pm

In these trying and uncertain times, you can trust that the department of tautology is the department of tautology.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2020, 5:25 pm

Theoretical physicists and fine artists are joining the strike.

Yeah, we'll only notice in few years, but boy will it be hard then.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2020, 7:08 pm

You should have seen it! All schools of philosophy marching in solidarity -- Epicurians alongside stoics, Hegelians arm-in-arm with Kierkegardians ... the only problem was when the Cambridge Philosophers invited the Marxists to sit down with them for a proper English tea service.  It was a disaster.  They should have known that to a Marxist... (highlight to see spoiler -->)... all proper tea is theft!

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2020, 7:29 pm

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2020, 8:17 pm

Julalloyd wrote:
Priceless - with everyone so mindfully in the now emptying there minds of all creative thoughts that pop into there minds - the concept of independent thought and agency Is slowly being erased from even being a desirable state of mind. Radically accepting zero debate .....

Sorry, can you tell me when it was that creative thoughts were at their best, along with independent thought and agency?

Philosophy is a tricky thing, you can look at a lot stances of the past and see how nuts they may have been, but also other that act as a continuous building blocks. From the online philosophers I follow, philosophy fails the most when it is not of any meaningful use to anyone, and it can be a little up to academic philosophers for their work to be meaningful to that current day. Which may not be the same to everyone. Research is also important, which according to many people that would rather their feelings of what ought not matching research, have no intention actually understand it.

While the concept of a philosopher strike seems kind of funny in the sense of it being difficult to recognise what impact they would have, the ignorance of philosophy would make one blind to its absence. I imagine there would be better ways than a strike.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2020, 5:53 am

Fnord wrote:
The Philosophers' Strike continues into its fifth straight week, with no end in sight.  Union leaders promise to continue the strike until everyone starts taking philosophers just as seriously as scientists.

If the strike goes on, we can only expect the philosophy shortage to increase, and experts worry that people will soon no longer be able to know whether or not it is possible to know if they know what they think they know, or not.

Experts warn that the strike could have far-reaching impacts in aesthetics, ethics, and logic.  In particular, the struggling Metaphysics industry may not be able to survive a prolonged conflict.

Since the strike began, some scientists have attempted to fill in doing philosophy, with disastrous results.

Philosophers, along with politicians, public servants, etc, were separated from the spaceship armada of those consider useful to humanity.
They were set adrift, in the series: "The Hitch Hiker's Guide To The Galaxy".
And rightly so. :mrgreen:

They eventually landed on earth during the caveman era,
And form a significant DNA representation in present-day Man/womankind.
Which explains things *very* nicely.
Look at Fnord. :mrgreen:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2020, 5:57 am

shlaifu wrote:
Theoretical physicists and fine artists are joining the strike.

Yeah, we'll only notice in few years, but boy will it be hard then.

Who would have thought you would have found this thread interesting. 8O :mrgreen:
Did you enjoy your trip to earth? :mrgreen:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2020, 8:26 am

One good thing about the Philosophers' Strike is that there is no longer a shortage of pizza delivery drivers.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2020, 8:31 am

HE: "I'm on strike.  What is the best temp job for a person with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Philosophy?"

ME: "Security guard."

HE: "Why a security guard?"

ME: "Where else would a philosopher have just cause to ask everyone 'Who are you?', and 'Why are you here?'"

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2020, 2:43 pm

Internet edge lords to the rescue! :lmao:

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin