Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

thinkinginpictures
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2021, 10:24 am

Whether it is about Edward Snowden revealing how the U.S. government is spying on its own allies including individuals like you and me, collecting all sorts of data about where we go, what we eat etc. - or about the UFO cover-ups as in this documentary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm6AL5lA4Zc

- I don't get why the U.S. needs all this secrecy. Why not just be 100 % honest all the time and say "Hey, we're spying on you, and btw. we've observed UFOs (alien space crafts)."

The world deserves this knowledge. If the US government disagrees with this, I don't think the US should be an ally of EU/NATO. The US is not someone to be trusted. They're no better than the Russians or Chinese.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2021, 11:47 am

Those aussies broadcast some wild stuff on their mainstream news. Maybe its just because they are more open.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2021, 1:27 pm

Most of it is is good, old-fashioned national security. Secrecy is a GOOD thing. Reliable intelligence is a GOOD thing. It’s understanding that people often will NOT stay on their side of the fence and have bad intentions that makes government espionage and secrecy necessary to maintain safety within the state. As long as people stay in their own yard and avoid doing harm to others, they can have all the secrets they want. If my neighbor is building nukes or trafficking kids, that darn well DOES affect me, I want to know about it, and I want something done about it. What Bezos does in a board room does NOT impact me negatively and may indeed improve my way of life.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2021, 4:56 pm

Never let a YouTube video do your thinking for you.

slam_thunderhide
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Nov 2021, 6:36 pm

Fnord wrote:

Here's some free advice ... copying and pasting this same sentence 99% of the time someone posts a YouTube video does not make you look big and clever.

What makes it even worse is:
- you have at least once previously, in your eagerness to post your favorite catchphrase, failed to notice when such a video was posted as satire.
- you have at least once previously actually engaged with a YouTube video on WrongPlanet when the subject matter interested you, which kind of undermines your knee-jerk dismissal of 99% of the other YouTube videos you've been presented with.

As for the YouTube video that was posted on this thread, it is just a re-upload of a mainstream media documentary. Here is a link to the media outlet discussing the documentary: https://7news.com.au/spotlight/spotligh ... -c-2945045
If you want to criticize the video on the basis of its origin, then you should aim your criticism at 7news, not YouTube for re-uploading it. But I guess that would require some research.

It's not often I find myself defending YouTube, but there you go...

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2021, 7:36 pm

regarding UFOs: the article says they're intelligently controlled. Which is conjecture. The pointbof the U in UFO is that no one knows what it is they saw or recorded.
It's also not a really a threat to national security - at least, so far, UFOs don't seem to have done any damage.

As to Snowden: the public might simply object to the government's practices, which is also why major news outlet steered away from the information revealed.
Also: If you have thought of the US as any better than China or Russis until now, don't bother with Snowden, look at Assange.
Unlike Russia or China however, the US are a able to project their power and act in their interests anywhere they want, almost, which makes them far more dangerous.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2021, 7:37 pm

It’s not YouTube that’s the problem…..it’s people believing in what is said on YouTube unequivocally, mostly because it confirms their biases.

There happens to be really great stuff on YouTube. I certainly don’t believe everything that is said by every Tom, Dick, Harriet and Susan on YouTube.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2021, 8:24 pm

Fnord wrote:

This by itself is probably very sound advise , but certainly does not go far enough ......
"Never let Anyone do your thinking for you ." imho.

where ever you go ,there you are

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2021, 4:58 am

Jakki wrote:
Fnord wrote:

This by itself is probably very sound advise , but certainly does not go far enough ......

The phrase "never let a Utube video do your thinking for you" is meaningless self contradictory gibberish. It doesnt work as "advice" of any kind . Thats because Utube is just a platform, and it doesnt create content, and doesnt have a Pope, or an ayatollah, or Kommissar, behind it trying to control your thoughts.

If the phrase read "dont trust everything you see on Utube" it would be good advice.

But since that particular video came from Australian mainstream news the issue is the quality of Australian mainstream news. Not the quality of Utube.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2021, 9:27 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Jakki wrote:
Fnord wrote:
This by itself is probably very sound advise , but certainly does not go far enough ...
The phrase "never let a Utube video do your thinking for you" is meaningless self contradictory gibberish...
The first thing I noticed about your claim was the repeated incorrect spelling of "YouTube".  The second was the lack of proper capitalization of the quote.  The third was the entirely subjective "reasoning" that would make a QAnon conspiracy theorist laugh.

The assertion "Never let a YouTube video do your thinking for you" makes more sense than asserting one should "Always let YouTube videos do your thinking for you."

Can you tell the difference?

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2021, 9:56 am

Never Let An Anonymous

Person on the Internet

Tell You What to Do;

Particularly, Ones Who Cannot

Seem to See Colors Other than Black And White.

THere, i Fixed

it for Y'all;

You Tube Is A Free

Avenue for Expression,

Not Unlike 'the Wild'; You'll

Find Expansive New Stuff to Learn;

And You'll Also Find Folks Stuck in Concrete Boxes;

Plus, You'll

Find Almost

Unlimited More

Stuff to View DarK Thru LiGHT, And False and True; Yet

Don't Blame the Tool; Don't Be A Real Fool Either of Course.

"THere Are Days You Will Find Almost Perfectly Formed Shells
On the Beach With
No Life in Them..."

Y'ALL Can Quote

me on that if You Like...

Or Don't Quote me Now at
All, And Take All i Sing For Free or Not...

Other Than That; i Worked For the
Military For A Quarter of A Century,

Also As Administrative Assistant For A Captain
of A Military Base, Requiring Security Clearance
For Incoming Message Traffic; Information is

Often Kept Secret

For The Safety

of Our Country;

In Reference, to So-called

UFO's, And The Potential that

It Was A Competing Nation with
New Technology That Might Bring
Harm to the United States; That in Itself,

Was Enough to Keep the Wrap on the Information,
Until It Was Considered Safe to Release it to the Public...

It's Okay to Be in the Forest

As Long As You Can And

WiLL 'See' The Trees And

Still

Understand

WHere And Who You Are...

In Other Words, Everything is
Secret in Life, Until You Understand it...

-Just Another Sea Creature Actually Living...

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2021, 4:33 pm

Fnord wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Jakki wrote:
Fnord wrote:
This by itself is probably very sound advise , but certainly does not go far enough ...
The phrase "never let a Utube video do your thinking for you" is meaningless self contradictory gibberish...
The first thing I noticed about your claim was the repeated incorrect spelling of "YouTube".  The second was the lack of proper capitalization of the quote.  The third was the entirely subjective "reasoning" that would make a QAnon conspiracy theorist laugh.

The assertion "Never let a YouTube video do your thinking for you" makes more sense than asserting one should "Always let YouTube videos do your thinking for you."

Can you tell the difference?

Sorry. I didnt read carefully. Mae Culpa.

I was responding to what you usually say all of the time. Which is "dont let Utube do your thinking for you". Which doesnt make any sense.

What you said this time was "dont let a [any one particular] Utube video do your thinking for you".

Big difference.

Yes. That is right. You shouldnt let any one single source (even a source you respect) do "your thinking for you". And you certainly shouldnt let some stranger in his basement on Utube do your "thinking for you".

My comments were about Utube as a whole. Utube is not a dictatorship(like you seem to think it is- based on how you usually talk about it). The problem with Utube is more the opposite. That it is a wild west anarchy. That was my point.