The America Medical and Psychological Associations are woke

Page 1 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2021, 6:19 am

The AMA’s strategic plan to embed racial justice and advance health equity

Quote:
1. Embed racial & social justice in AMA enterprise, culture, systems, policies, practices
Build the AMA’s capacity to understand and operationalize anti-racism equity strategies via training and tool development
Ensure equitable structures, processes and accountability in the AMA’s workforce, contracts and budgeting, communications and publishing
Integrate trauma-informed lens and approaches
Assess organizational change (culture, policy, process) over time

2. Build alliances, share power with historically marginalized & minoritized physicians & other stakeholders
Develop structures and processes to consistently center the experiences and ideas of historically marginalized (women, LGBTQ+, people with disabilities, International Medical Graduates) and minoritized (Black, Indigenous, Latinx, Asian and other people of color) physicians
Establish a coalition of multidisciplinary, multisectoral equity experts in health care and public health to collectively advocate for justice in health

3. Ensure equitable structures & opportunities in innovation
Embed racial justice and health equity within existing AMA health care innovation efforts
Equip the health care innovation sector to advance equity and justice
Center, integrate and amplify historically marginalized and minoritized health care investors and innovators
Engage in cross-sector collaboration and advocacy efforts

4. Push upstream to address all determinants of health & root causes of inequities
Strengthen physicians’ knowledge of public health and structural/social drivers of health and inequities

Empower physicians and health systems to dismantle structural racism and intersecting systems of oppression
Equip physicians and health systems to improve services, technology, partnership and payment models that advance public health and health equity

5. pathways for truth, racial healing, reconciliation and transformation for AMA’s past
Amplify and integrate often “invisible-ized” narratives of historically marginalized physicians and patients in all that AMA does

Quantify the effects of AMA policy and process decisions that excluded, discriminated and harmed
Repair and cultivate a healing journey for those harms

All of the nice sounding code words are there. They are trying to fix patients being diagnosed based on false assumptions because of their race. This at most will only change these false assumptions. If one is constantly thinking about race how can it be otherwise?

Role of Psychology and APA in Dismantling Systemic Racism Against People of Color in U.S. Resolution adopted by the APA Council of Representatives on October 29, 2021
Quote:
Historically, racism has been used to divide the public, fuel racial violence, and reduce support for health care, economic, and education policy that would benefit the well-being of society (Blacksher & Valles, 2021; Cui & Worrell, 2019; McGhee, 2021). American psychology, including APA, has been complicit in actions that have perpetuated racism. Therefore, an important aspect of APA’s continued work in understanding how psychology can meaningfully contribute to disarming and dismantling individual and systemic racism is to first acknowledge that racism has had a historical underpinning in White supremacy and in supporting structures of White privilege institutionally and structurally for centuries.
The purpose of this resolution is to identify psychology’s role in helping to expose, understand, and ultimately dismantle racism operating across all levels in each of the following systems of society—education, science, health care, work and economic opportunities, criminal justice, early childhood development, and government and public policy, as addressed below, while acknowledging that systemic racism has impact beyond these sectors.

For the first time, APA and American psychology are systematically and intentionally examining, acknowledging, and charting a path forward to address their roles in racism. At the same time, this is an insufficient response with respect to both psychology’s responsibility and its potential to heal. In short, this resolution is in itself necessary but not sufficient. The resolution possesses moral legitimacy only as one step in an ongoing process, not as an endpoint. Not later than the Council of Representatives’ second meeting of 2022, and with advice from the Task Force on Strategies to Eradicate Racism, Discrimination, and Hate and other subject matter experts within and outside the Association, APA’s CEO will develop a plan to prioritize, operationalize, and ensure accountability for achieving the goals of the resolutions set forth below.

This resolution also acknowledges the complexity of ethnoracial dialogues, especially in the United States (U.S.). While the limited and forced federal categorization and definition of ethnicity and race exist, the minoritized experiences of individuals and communities facing systemic racism cannot be easily and plainly described. For this reason, in this resolution, “ethnic and racial minorities,” “ethnically and racially diverse individuals,” “people of color,” and other terms are interchangeably used while also mentioning specific ethnic and racial groups. Terms such as “people of color” are also used as inclusive language for biracial and multiracial individuals who must navigate multiple race-related systemic challenges. The resolution also warns that a monolithic approach to understanding ethnically and racially categorized people without appreciating the diversity-within factors and intersectional identities in itself is a form of systemic racism that denies various unique challenges and strengths that exist within each ethnic and racial group.

This is very lengthy and any further attempts to copy and paste will not do it justice.

Do I really need to go through the lengthy history of damage caused by psychiatry being used to advance political agendas? The difference here instead of an authoritarian government it is private business doing this. Hint “wrong thinking” has been and will be used as unofficial and official diagnostic criteria for mental illness, Oppositional Defiant Disorder comes to mind.

The one small hope here is that the APA is butting into so many areas it does not have expertise such as government policy, education policy, criminal justice it will not be sble to give full attention to politically healing their patients.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

slam_thunderhide
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Nov 2021, 6:13 am

With the AMA and APA coming out with stuff like this, is it any wonder people are losing trust in doctors and other experts, and "the authorities" in general?

I'm just waiting for the left-liberals on this board to join this thread and explain to us all that there's nothing to see here, and that there's nothing political going on here, and that all the institutions of America are still all bastions of white supremacy. Perhaps they can explain to us how back in the days when the APA classified homosexuality as a mental disorder, well that was just politically motivated bigotry, but there's definitely nothing political about the above - no siree!

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2021, 6:23 am

Before this thread descends into mass panic (Ala CRT in schools) if you read the wording of the strategic plan it's primarily to improve service delivery to culturally diverse patient populations.

It will make zero impact on anybody on this forum so calm down and carry on.

slam_thunderhide
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Nov 2021, 6:55 am

cyberdad wrote:
Before this thread descends into mass panic (Ala CRT in schools) if you read the wording of the strategic plan it's primarily to improve service delivery to culturally diverse patient populations.

Lol, just as I predicted.

Why would they come up with these "strategic plans" if they are not going to make any impact on anyone? That's a rhetorical question by the way; I'm not really interested in anything you have to say on this matter.

And no, it won't have an immediate impact on me, because I live in the UK, but I follow developments in the US because I know when I see developments like this in the US, I can expect to see them in the UK in only a few years time.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2021, 8:10 am

Is the position of those who get so upset when organisations attempt to correct a historical social injustice that the social injustice doesn't exist, or that the attempt to correct it have negative implications that are worse than the original social injustice?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2021, 11:58 am

cyberdad wrote:

Members of WP are culturally diverse. And all members will be needing to see a doctor sometime.

I would advise American unwoke members not to panic not because there is nothing to see there, but because many professionals join these type of organizations just for the perks and benefits but do their own thing in their private practice. For instance I have not read of any APA members being thrown out because they do not follow the DSM 5 Autism diagnostic criteria written by the APA. There have been American WP members diagnosed with Aspergers after 2013.

This will embolden those who believe in woke ideologies but were afraid to put it in their practice to do so. Since CRT has been around in academia for decades some of these professionals have been educated at schools where CRT principles are taught. An important benefit for joining an professional association is social gatherings with your peers. This could lead to peer pressure. While these type of mission statements have traditionally been largely virtue signaling in the past it is wrong to assume it will always be so in the future. This ideology emphasizes monitoring for conformity.

When seeing an autism professional it is advisable to be aware if your clinician is diagnosing or treating you based on outdated or quack ideas about autism. When seeing ones medical doctor it is advisable to be cognizant of profit motives. What these new policies means is that in addition we have to be cognizant of being stereotyped as oppressed or privileged and treated for our political beliefs. How much these policies take hold and how long it will take is unknown.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 05 Nov 2021, 1:30 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2021, 1:08 pm

slam_thunderhide wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Why would they come up with these "strategic plans" if they are not going to make any impact on anyone? That's a rhetorical question by the way; I'm not really interested in anything you have to say on this matter.

And no, it won't have an immediate impact on me, because I live in the UK, but I follow developments in the US because I know when I see developments like this in the US, I can expect to see them in the UK in only a few years time.

So what specifically are you worried about with this?

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2021, 3:51 pm

Not a lot of rationality here, it seems. OP posts a fairly innocuous pair of quotes, accompanied by dire predictions without any evidence. Gotta wonder if there's literally anything AMA and APA could say that wouldn't get OP upset.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2021, 9:36 pm

slam_thunderhide wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Answer sweetleaf's question?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2021, 9:38 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
This will embolden those who believe in woke ideologies but were afraid to put it in their practice to do so.

Really AS? I mean seriously, how the heck is any so called "woketivist" going to take advantage of a strategic plan??? these are largely recommendations.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2021, 11:20 pm

cyberdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
This will embolden those who believe in woke ideologies but were afraid to put it in their practice to do so.

Really AS? I mean seriously, how the heck is any so called "woketivist" going to take advantage of a strategic plan??? these are largely recommendations.

I was not thinking woketivist but a professional person who agrees with or is sympathetic to CRT but was afraid to rock the boat lest it have career repercussions. That person would now be thinking I have the backing my influential professional organization to implement these recommendations I agree with.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2021, 12:43 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

I was not thinking woketivist but a professional person who agrees with or is sympathetic to CRT but was afraid to rock the boat lest it have career repercussions. That person would now be thinking I have the backing my influential professional organization to implement these recommendations I agree with.

To do what? report a colleague?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2021, 3:56 am

cyberdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

To diagnose and treat their patient based on what group they are in and where that group falls on the intersectionality scale.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2021, 1:27 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

To diagnose and treat their patient based on what group they are in and where that group falls on the intersectionality scale.

To provide their patient with more relevant treatment? The horror!

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2021, 2:41 pm

Ettina wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

To provide their patient with more relevant treatment? The horror!

Relevant treatments occur when the individual is correctly diagnosed. To do that the clinician has to look at the individual as an individual not as a member of a privileged or oppressed group.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2021, 3:00 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Relevant treatments occur when the individual is correctly diagnosed. To do that the clinician has to look at the individual as an individual not as a member of a privileged or oppressed group.

Life experiences do matter with diagnosing mental health ailments. You don't think being in a marginalized group would effect mental health?

If anything looking at factors like socio-economic class and if one faces discrimination on the basis of sexuality race or sex would help further individualize treatments for people who face different struggles.