Page 4 of 27 [ 424 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 27  Next

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2021, 3:08 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Violent, racist cops had been allowed to get away with their crimes too long, and so deserved hard sentences. Fighting for justice hardly is subverting democracy.

Thats not fact, that is opinion. Fact is something with which all sides agree. Like math is a fact, everyone agrees with math. But presence or absence of racial bias is an opinion since the answer is divided along party lines.

Kraichgauer wrote:
At least BLM protests something real; a far cry from the mass delusion of the capitol rioters.

Again, what is real and what isn't is an opinion, not a fact.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2021, 3:14 am

QFT wrote:
Thats not fact, that is opinion. Fact is something with which all sides agree. Like math is a fact, everyone agrees with math. But presence or absence of racial bias is an opinion since the answer is divided along party lines. .

The problem with the police has nothing to do with politics. It represents a systemic problem in the policeforce.

As usual the proof of the pudding is in the eating
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/t ... ericans-do

This distrust isn't imagined.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2021, 4:02 am

QFT wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Violent, racist cops had been allowed to get away with their crimes too long, and so deserved hard sentences. Fighting for justice hardly is subverting democracy.

Thats not fact, that is opinion. Fact is something with which all sides agree. Like math is a fact, everyone agrees with math. But presence or absence of racial bias is an opinion since the answer is divided along party lines.

Kraichgauer wrote:
At least BLM protests something real; a far cry from the mass delusion of the capitol rioters.

Again, what is real and what isn't is an opinion, not a fact.

No, as there have been convictions of racist and abusive cops, and convictions of the DC rioters, that makes it a fact until proven otherwise. But people on the political extreme aren't going to agree with sane people about those convictions. A grasp on reality overrides a need for consensus for something to be true.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2021, 8:16 am

QFT wrote:
Where did you get the idea that Trump starts wars on the first place.

One could argue that he set the wheels in motion.

QFT wrote:
If you look at all the property BLM destroyed during summer 2020 and compare it to the property that capitol riot destroyed, you will see BLM destroyed more.

That wasn't BLM, most of the destruction was caused and/or instigated by white supremacy groups who showed up to start trouble.
That's like saying Kyle Rittenhouse was BLM. I think a lot of his supporters would go unhinged if you tried to say that.

QFT wrote:
Your argument is that capitol is somehow more important than businesses. In other words, we are debating which is more important: the sheer amount of property, or whom the property belongs to.

Pretty sure the Capitol is more important.
If a business gets destroyed, they typically use the insurance money to pay for repairs.
If our entire democracy gets destroyed, we're kind of in a bad place.

QFT wrote:
Also you might argue that BLM *did* try to attack democracy. Their intention was to basically blackmail courts to give the cops tougher sentences. Now, if you believe that courts represent democracy (since they were democratically elected), then forcing courts to do something they otherwise won't do would be an attack on democracy.

So you're saying that requesting that cops get the legal punishment they deserve is somehow equivalent to attempting a full-out coup with the intent of kidnapping government officials and giving them public lynchings?

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2021, 11:28 am

SabbraCadabra wrote:
QFT wrote:
Where did you get the idea that Trump starts wars on the first place.

One could argue that he set the wheels in motion.

That can be argued about other presidents too. Fact remains: the few presidents leading to Trump started wars, Trump hasn't.

SabbraCadabra wrote:
QFT wrote:
If you look at all the property BLM destroyed during summer 2020 and compare it to the property that capitol riot destroyed, you will see BLM destroyed more.

That wasn't BLM, most of the destruction was caused and/or instigated by white supremacy groups who showed up to start trouble.

Its the first time I hear it. Can you elaborate? Because I literally never heard this. I thought it was BLM destroying property.

In fact the whole point of destroying property was to "protest racism", so it wouldn't be logical for White Supremacy groups to do it in that particular occasion.

SabbraCadabra wrote:
QFT wrote:
Your argument is that capitol is somehow more important than businesses. In other words, we are debating which is more important: the sheer amount of property, or whom the property belongs to.

Pretty sure the Capitol is more important.
If a business gets destroyed, they typically use the insurance money to pay for repairs.
If our entire democracy gets destroyed, we're kind of in a bad place.

So did they actually do all the repairs? Has Minneapolis been rebuilt?

They weren't trying to change the system. They were trying to change the outcome of one specific election.

SabbraCadabra wrote:
QFT wrote:
Also you might argue that BLM *did* try to attack democracy. Their intention was to basically blackmail courts to give the cops tougher sentences. Now, if you believe that courts represent democracy (since they were democratically elected), then forcing courts to do something they otherwise won't do would be an attack on democracy.

So you're saying that requesting that cops get the legal punishment they deserve is somehow equivalent to attempting a full-out coup with the intent of kidnapping government officials and giving them public lynchings?

But cops would have gotten legal punishment they deserve even without the protests. The point of protests seem to be to give them tougher punishment than they otherwise would be given. So isn't it also an attach on democracy, to make institutions do something they otherwise won't do?

By the way I am not saying that their punishment is too tough. I mean we are talking about murder and I am not going to say that murder deserves lesser sentence.

What I "am" trying to get to is simple logic. Forget what they want courts to do for a second. Lets just say they want courts to do X. If they think it is necessary to break property in order to force courts to do X, that logically implies an attack on the court system, which is part of democracy.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2021, 11:30 am

QFT wrote:
Fact remains: the few presidents leading to Trump started wars, Trump hasn't.
He tried on January 6, 2021.  It is a good thing that the other side did not show up.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2021, 11:33 am

Fnord wrote:
QFT wrote:
He tried on January 6, 2021.  It is a good thing that the other side did not show up.

I wasn't referring to civil war. I was referring to wars with other countries.

Also what do you mean the other side didn't show up? Since he didn't prevail then, logically, it means they "did" show up?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2021, 11:39 am

QFT wrote:
Fnord wrote:
QFT wrote:
I wasn't referring to civil war. I was referring to wars with other countries.
You should learn to be more explicit.
QFT wrote:
Also what do you mean the other side didn't show up? Since he didn't prevail then, logically, it means they "did" show up?
The apparent goal was to engage the Left and start a civil war.  Since the Left did not show up (except for a few journalists), the second civil war did not occur.  Thus, the reason he did not succeed was due to poor planning and lack of bloody opposition.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2021, 11:47 am

Fnord wrote:
The apparent goal was to engage the Left and start a civil war.  Since the Left did not show up (except for a few journalists), the second civil war did not occur.  Thus, the reason he did not succeed was due to poor planning and lack of bloody opposition.

If the other side did not show up, why didn't he get the outcome he wanted then?

I guess the other side wasn't in the form of leftists but instead it was in a form of law enforcement or something. But thats still the other side isn't it?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2021, 11:52 am

QFT wrote:
Fnord wrote:
If the other side did not show up, why didn't he get the outcome he wanted then? ...
Are you being intentionally obtuse?

a. The intent was to engage the opposition.
b. The opposition did not show up.
: : The intent was not fulfilled.

Donald Trump's coup attempt on January 6, 2021 failed due to poor planning on the Right, and superior intelligence-gathering on the Left.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2021, 11:56 am

Fnord wrote:
a. The intent was to engage the opposition.
b. The opposition did not show up.

The intent was to win. If the opposition doesn't show up, you automatically win. At least thats how most wars operate.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2021, 12:04 pm

QFT wrote:
The intent was to win.  If the opposition doesn't show up, you automatically win.  At least that's how most wars operate.
What exactly did Trump win?  Certainly neither the coup nor the election.

Donald J. Trump is a loser, no matter how you look at it.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2021, 12:09 pm

Fnord wrote:
QFT wrote:
The intent was to win.  If the opposition doesn't show up, you automatically win.  At least that's how most wars operate.
[color=black]What exactly did Trump win?  Certainly neither the coup nor the election.

I never said he won. Here is what I said:

a) If opposition didn't show up he would have won (notice the word IF)

b) He did NOT win

c) Therefore, opposition DID show up

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2021, 12:11 pm

QFT wrote:

b) He did NOT win

Denying the antecedent will get you nowhere.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2021, 12:14 pm

Fnord wrote:
QFT wrote:

b) He did NOT win

Denying the antecedent will get you nowhere.

I am asking a very simple logical question. How can someone possibly lose without opposition showing up? That makes no sense.

In other words, the very fact that he lost, implies the opposition DID show up.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2021, 12:20 pm

QFT wrote:
I am asking a very simple logical question. How can someone possibly lose without opposition showing up?
When their intent is to have the opposition show up, and the opposition does not fulfill their intent.

Please try to keep up.