Page 2 of 27 [ 424 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 27  Next

NoClearMind53
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Dec 2021, 11:44 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Because many people, in essence, want somebody who likes to kick some ass.

No matter how criminal the asskicking happens to be.

After what this country has been through I'd like to vote for somebody who will kick some ass too. It's annoying how establishment Democrats don't seem to allow those types on their side. I wish John Fetterman would run.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2021, 10:56 am

Right now, Mr. Trump is the target of over a dozen legal actions against him:

• Trump is facing four separate civil lawsuits relating to the events of January 6 and the storming of the Capitol.

• Trump is facing two investigations in New York into the Trump Organization's finances.

• The former president's niece, Mary Trump, is suing him alleging that she was defrauded out of millions of dollars in inheritance.

• Writer E. Jean Carroll is suing Trump for defamation over remarks where he said she had falsely accused him of rape.

• The attorney general of the District of Columbia (D.C.), Karl Racine, is suing several groups affiliated with Trump for allegedly misusing funds for the former president's 2017 inauguration.

• The district attorney in Fulton County, Georgia has opened a criminal investigation into possible election interference by Trump in 2020.

• The Trump family has been sued by an anonymous group of plaintiffs who claim the Trumps used their brand (American Communications Network) to scam investors.

• The NAACP's Legal Defense Fund is suing Trump, the Trump campaign and the Republican National Committee for violating the Voting Rights Act and the Ku Klux Klan Act for their attempts to overturn the results of the 2020 presidential election.

• Six protesters are suing Trump alleging that his security guards assaulted them outside Trump Tower in 2015.

• The district attorney's office in Westchester, New York has launched an investigation examining whether the Trump Organization misled local officials about the value of the Trump National Golf Club Westchester.

• D.C. Attorney General Karl Racine has launched a criminal probe into whether Trump had a role in inciting the riots on January 6.

Source:
 This Newsweek Article 

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2021, 12:45 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
Wealthier people aren't so easily fooled, but support him simply because he's a right-winger who will try to fix things so that they can hang onto and further increase the size of their wallets.

They also support him because he has threats against their family if they don't.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

17 Dec 2021, 12:49 pm

^I doubt such threats would need be taken too seriously... bluster it may be but he's not some Mafia Don, bad as he is.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2021, 1:24 pm

Under the Obama presidency, several moderate-to-right white people asked why so many blacks voted for Obama en masse, when Obama's foreign politics weren't that different from W's, and, apart from Obamacare, nothing changed dramatically domestically. My response was that since black folks have been screwed over and lied to by white politicians all their lives, at least this time the guy screwing them over looks like them.

Same for Trump. A billionaire fat cat who doesn't give a damn about the regular average Joe...but, then again, none of them do. At least this scumbag is using a relatable script instead of the prepared one.

It's an exercise in mental masturbation to say, "Trump's supporters are all simpletons who don't like big words and need to feel validated." Simply put, even if Trump is a liar and cheat like the rest of them, at least he puts on a damn good show! It was a breath of fresh air for many. Again, they're all liars and cheats and scumbags, but deviation from the normal script was highly entertaining.

...except for those who fear any deviation from the "standard" dog-and-pony show. Those are the ones who go to great lengths to try to justify Trump's appeal, because he didn't abide by the old script...they're still struggling with the fact that Santa isn't real to begin with.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2021, 1:31 pm

envirozentinel wrote:
^I doubt such threats would need be taken too seriously... bluster it may be but he's not some Mafia Don, bad as he is.

Hey environzentinel! Welcome back. :D How are you doing these days?

thinkinginpictures
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2021, 3:59 pm

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
Under the Obama presidency, several moderate-to-right white people asked why so many blacks voted for Obama en masse, when Obama's foreign politics weren't that different from W's, and, apart from Obamacare, nothing changed dramatically domestically. My response was that since black folks have been screwed over and lied to by white politicians all their lives, at least this time the guy screwing them over looks like them.

Same for Trump. A billionaire fat cat who doesn't give a damn about the regular average Joe...but, then again, none of them do. At least this scumbag is using a relatable script instead of the prepared one.

It's an exercise in mental masturbation to say, "Trump's supporters are all simpletons who don't like big words and need to feel validated." Simply put, even if Trump is a liar and cheat like the rest of them, at least he puts on a damn good show! It was a breath of fresh air for many. Again, they're all liars and cheats and scumbags, but deviation from the normal script was highly entertaining.

...except for those who fear any deviation from the "standard" dog-and-pony show. Those are the ones who go to great lengths to try to justify Trump's appeal, because he didn't abide by the old script...they're still struggling with the fact that Santa isn't real to begin with.

In what way are white american working people being "screwed" by the establishment?

If you say "the rich take all the money while the workers get virtually nothing" - Trump isn't the answer. Bernie Sanders is.

If you say "healthcare is unaffordable" - Trump isn't the answer. Bernie Sanders is.

If you say "Communist dictatorships threats to US security" - Trump isn't the answer (as Trump is a fan of North Korea). Bernie Sanders is the answer.

White/black/yellow/red and/or green* americans as would benefit hugely from Bernie Sanders reforms and get screwed less than under Obama, Trump and Biden.

* Not including illegal Martians.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2021, 8:00 pm

envirozentinel wrote:

This is from two weeks ago:
Quote:
Recently, Salon columnist Chauncey DeVega conducted an interview with Miles Taylor, the chief of staff to Trump’s Homeland Security secretary Kirstjen Nielsen who published a New York Times op-ed in 2018 as “Anonymous" claiming that he was part of a resistance movement in the Trump White House. Taylor told DeVega that Republican congresspeople are worried they will be attacked if they cross Trump. “I'm talking about former Cabinet secretaries, sitting members of Congress and others who personally confessed to me, ‘I don't think I can join you in rising up against this guy because I've got to worry about my family's safety.’” Taylor said. “I didn't anticipate how much I was going to hear that as a response. They would say to me, “Look, I’ve got kids and this is too crazy right now.”

Also, this may be dipping into conspiracy theory waters, but it seemed pretty easy for Trump to keep Jeffrey Epstein quiet.

CubsBullsBears
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2021, 11:13 pm

I have the same feeling you have. In the 2024 primaries, what republican in their right mind would want Trump over all the other republican candidates? I have a dad and an Uncle who are right wing and even they acknowledge that Trump is a jerk.

Both republicans and democrats need to do better than Biden and Trump in 2024 and beyond. Much better.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2021, 12:13 am

CubsBullsBears wrote:
I have the same feeling you have. In the 2024 primaries, what republican in their right mind would want Trump over all the other republican candidates?

Any poll that has surveyed republican voters in the last 6 months put Trump as the number one candidate so he's a shoe-in in the republican primaries. In hardline republican states the approval is as high as 80-90% of republicans.

Assuming i) he is not arrested or invalidated legally as a candidate or ii) his ego can't withstand losing twice then he is guaranteed to run against whoever the democrats put forward.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2021, 3:32 am

cyberdad wrote:
CubsBullsBears wrote:
I have the same feeling you have. In the 2024 primaries, what republican in their right mind would want Trump over all the other republican candidates?

Any poll that has surveyed republican voters in the last 6 months put Trump as the number one candidate so he's a shoe-in in the republican primaries. In hardline republican states the approval is as high as 80-90% of republicans.

Assuming i) he is not arrested or invalidated legally as a candidate or ii) his ego can't withstand losing twice then he is guaranteed to run against whoever the democrats put forward.

And if it isn’t Trump, it could be one of his acolytes. The GOP’s second choice is Ron DeSantis. In fact, only one Republican in the pool of speculation can be considered relatively sane—Larry Hogan (governor of Maryland). And he stands no chance against Trump, DeSatan, or possibly Greg Abbott.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2021, 6:34 am

cyberdad wrote:
...he is guaranteed to run against whoever the democrats put forward.

I don't think the Dems put anyone forward, I think Biden just defends his title (so to speak).

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2021, 9:03 am

cyberdad wrote:
CubsBullsBears wrote:

Exactly.

I get nobody trusts the polls but the polls have been consistent and they need to off by at least 30 percentage points for Trump not to be the preferred candidate among Republican voters right now.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2021, 1:04 pm

thinkinginpictures wrote:
If you say "the rich take all the money while the workers get virtually nothing" - Trump isn't the answer. Bernie Sanders is.

If you say "healthcare is unaffordable" - Trump isn't the answer. Bernie Sanders is.

If you say "Communist dictatorships threats to US security" - Trump isn't the answer (as Trump is a fan of North Korea). Bernie Sanders is the answer.

White/black/yellow/red and/or green* americans as would benefit hugely from Bernie Sanders reforms and get screwed less than under Obama, Trump and Biden.

I was talking about voting for president between a "conventional" candidate vs. an atypical one; they're all liars and thieves. But both Obama and Trump, love them or hate them, were unconventional. I think that appealed to many who got tired of the script.

Bernie Sanders has nothing at all to do with this conversation. Totally irrelevant, totally off track. He never ran for president. Oh, he campaigned for the nomination of the Democratic Party, but lost to Biden. I'm talking about American voters casting a vote for POTUS between two candidates, one of each from the two major parties.

By the way, the people who had the power to get Bernie on the ballot as Democratic nominee (i.e. registered Democrats who voted in their state's primary or caucus) decided to go for Biden instead. Trump himself had nothing to do with the Democratic primaries/caucuses. At no point was it ever Trump vs. Sanders. What the hell are trying to even get at? The American voter never had a choice to vote for either Trump or Sanders...

And Trump was elected while running against Hillary, the epitome of scripted, groomed, beltway-insider career politician.

If you're not an American, then maybe I can understand your confusion about US politics. Simply ASK. What you're insinuating is not only incorrect, it had nothing to do with the point I was making.

NoClearMind53
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Dec 2021, 3:43 pm

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
thinkinginpictures wrote:

I was talking about voting for president between a "conventional" candidate vs. an atypical one; they're all liars and thieves. But both Obama and Trump, love them or hate them, were unconventional. I think that appealed to many who got tired of the script.

Bernie Sanders has nothing at all to do with this conversation. Totally irrelevant, totally off track. He never ran for president. Oh, he campaigned for the nomination of the Democratic Party, but lost to Biden. I'm talking about American voters casting a vote for POTUS between two candidates, one of each from the two major parties.

By the way, the people who had the power to get Bernie on the ballot as Democratic nominee (i.e. registered Democrats who voted in their state's primary or caucus) decided to go for Biden instead. Trump himself had nothing to do with the Democratic primaries/caucuses. At no point was it ever Trump vs. Sanders. What the hell are trying to even get at? The American voter never had a choice to vote for either Trump or Sanders...

And Trump was elected while running against Hillary, the epitome of scripted, groomed, beltway-insider career politician.

If you're not an American, then maybe I can understand your confusion about US politics. Simply ASK. What you're insinuating is not only incorrect, it had nothing to do with the point I was making.

The democratic primary not being particularly democratic is a huge source of anger, but it was ruled that they can basically choose whoever they want because primaries are not real elections regulated by the constitution. It's extremely difficult to get a third party off the ground with the way campaigns are so dependent on funding from extremely wealthy individuals. It's a combination of problems that makes a lot of people give up hope.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2021, 9:40 pm

Trump tells his voters what they want to hear, whether it's true of not.
It's brown illegals taking American's jobs, he says, while avoiding how mechanization has done more to put people out of work.
He plays up to age old racism by siding with Confederate heritage, by defending violent racists at Charlottesville and the DC riot, while calling for BLM to be declared a terrorist group.
He lets people doubt the validity of science, allowing them to think that science and nature can bend to political ideology, which is clearly the case with Trump's handling of Covid.
He leads people to think he's a common sort of guy leading the battle against the elite, while as a second generation real estate mogul, he personifies elitism.
And on, and on, and on...