Page 16 of 22 [ 346 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 22  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2022, 6:34 pm

Like my mother said-----Trump has let out all the loonies, given them credibility....this is what makes Trump most dangerous.

Yeah....those KKK/neo-Nazi people in Charlottesville-----very fine people, too!

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2022, 6:39 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Like my mother said-----Trump has let out all the loonies, given them credibility....this is what makes Trump most dangerous.

Normal people believed in conspiracy theories before Trump. I think it's worse now than it used to be for a couple reasons. Trump made things worse for sure because he tried to use people's limited critical thinking ability to his benefit and encouraged reactionary behavior, but the internet doesn't help, either, because conspiracy theorists are banding together, basically forming their own cults.

Last edited by TwilightPrincess on 05 Aug 2022, 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2022, 7:59 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Annnnnd $4M + $45Millski for the first parents to successfully sue this grifter:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/alex-jon ... ecea4bf60e
A jury ruled Friday that conspiracy theorist Alex Jones should pay $45.2 million to the parents of a child killed in the Sandy Hook school shooting after spending years spreading lies that the shooting didn’t happen.

Jurors deliberated for less than a day before coming to its first decision Thursday that Jones must pay $4.1 million in compensatory damages. On Friday, jurors again deliberated for less than a day when deciding further punitive damages against Jones of more than $40 million.

Along with the judgments, Jones will have to pay an additional $1.5 million in sanctions, Houston attorney Mark Bankston told HuffPost.

High five, Goldie!

:D

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2022, 8:19 pm

Fnord wrote:
Jurors deliberated for less than a day before coming to its first decision Thursday that Jones must pay $4.1 million in compensatory damages. On Friday, jurors again deliberated for less than a day when deciding further punitive damages against Jones of more than $40 million.
Along with the judgments, Jones will have to pay an additional $1.5 million in sanctions, Houston attorney Mark Bankston told HuffPost.[/i]

High five, Goldie![/color]

Jones was found guilty and forced to pay $49.3m
https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/eco ... n-87997825

But his company is worth $270m and he has raked in $165m selling doomesday/prepper gear to right wing consipiracy nutters
https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/p ... n-1281059/

Sorry, this is an autism site and I'm surprised nobody is doing some simple math but it means the financial cost to Jones is considerably less than what he claims. Jones will likely get millions in donations to support his legal costs from supporters
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... rents.html

At the end he will come out laughing because this somewhat evil business model works for him and Inforwars. He knows he;s lying, Just like his demi-god Trump who was lining his pockets when he was POTUS.

In the latest response he has claimed this as a victory and the jury supports him. Clearly he is lying but...here's the thing, it doesn't matter because he is being bankrolled by millions of nutters who are also probably (not surprisingly) MAGA/QAnon believers.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2022, 8:42 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Clearly he is lying but...here's the thing, it doesn't matter because he is being bankrolled by millions of nutters who are also probably (not surprisingly) MAGA/QAnon believers.
Then they are supporting someone for whom the word ‘Slimeball’ is a compliment.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2022, 8:53 pm

Fnord wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Clearly he is lying but...here's the thing, it doesn't matter because he is being bankrolled by millions of nutters who are also probably (not surprisingly) MAGA/QAnon believers.
Then they are supporting someone for whom the word ‘Slimeball’ is a compliment.

To use a fisherman's metaphor - they fall for the bait, hook, line and sinker. I've been wondering why for many years now?. I have a theory, in among the hundreds of stupid things Jones, Tucker Carlson and Trump say there are things they want to believe....these strongly align with their values....so they cut their nose to spite their face so long as they prop up the villain who pushes their pet values.

I don't need to spell out what these things are...

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2022, 1:31 am

Fnord wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Annnnnd $4M + $45Millski for the first parents to successfully sue this grifter:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/alex-jon ... ecea4bf60e
A jury ruled Friday that conspiracy theorist Alex Jones should pay $45.2 million to the parents of a child killed in the Sandy Hook school shooting after spending years spreading lies that the shooting didn’t happen.

Along with the judgments, Jones will have to pay an additional $1.5 million in sanctions, Houston attorney Mark Bankston told HuffPost.

High five, Goldie!

:heart: :heart: :heart:

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2022, 1:35 am

cyberdad wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Along with the judgments, Jones will have to pay an additional $1.5 million in sanctions, Houston attorney Mark Bankston told HuffPost.[/i]

But his company is worth $270m and he has raked in $165m selling doomesday/prepper gear to right wing consipiracy nutters

Sorry, this is an autism site and I'm surprised nobody is doing some simple math but it means the financial cost to Jones is considerably less than what he claims. Jones will likely get millions in donations to support his legal costs from supporters

At the end he will come out laughing because this somewhat evil business model works for him and Inforwars. He knows he;s lying, Just like his demi-god Trump who was lining his pockets when he was POTUS.

In the latest response he has claimed this as a victory and the jury supports him. Clearly he is lying but...here's the thing, it doesn't matter because he is being bankrolled by millions of nutters who are also probably (not surprisingly) MAGA/QAnon believers.

You forget that there were ~20 victims and a whole bunch more sets of parents that can file lawsuits. This sets the precedent for the outcomes. One news clip I listened to said they figured the $4M award was likely based on how much money there was to divide amongst the families of the other victims, anticipating that more lawsuits will be filed once this one was won. Makes sense.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2022, 2:20 am

goldfish21 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Fnord wrote:

You forget that there were ~20 victims and a whole bunch more sets of parents that can file lawsuits. This sets the precedent for the outcomes. One news clip I listened to said they figured the $4M award was likely based on how much money there was to divide amongst the families of the other victims, anticipating that more lawsuits will be filed once this one was won. Makes sense.

Even if this goes through as individual cases x 20 law suits .the whole thing is untested and Jones knows it. I am very skeptical given Jones might be protected by freedom of speech laws.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2022, 2:40 am

One thing I agree with Alex Jones on is his stance on America's foreign policy, specifically the endless military interventionism. That I respect.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2022, 3:12 am

The question here is whether somebody with the following that Alex Jones has is permitted to make outright lies?

However just to flip the script for a moment, is it Jones who is at fault or the people who willingly believe him and donate money to his Infowars platform?

The legal penalties he's been slugged with has clearly not changed his views as he is putting the burden on the parents of the Sandy Hook victims. Jones is inviting the parents onto Infowars, I'd doubt anyone with any sense would legitimise his platform by showing up.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2022, 5:35 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
How can anybody not pay telling all those people who lost their young children in the mass shooting----haven't lost their children at all?

What the hell is this buffoon, Alex Jones, thinking?

I second that. It is outright cruelty to tell people that they didn't lose their children in a mass shooting because it was fake. Ridiculous, manipulative and cruel.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

06 Aug 2022, 6:54 am

! Cornflake wrote:
Several attacks have been removed along with other derogatory, sour commentary on posters.

It's perfectly acceptable to dislike or disagree with a topic, but there are limits on how this can be expressed.
Those limits were breached several times here where disagreements took on an unwelcome and personal tone.

Further commentary of this nature will result in formal warnings.

Unlocked.

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2022, 5:14 pm

KitLily wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
How can anybody not pay telling all those people who lost their young children in the mass shooting----haven't lost their children at all?

What the hell is this buffoon, Alex Jones, thinking?

I second that. It is outright cruelty to tell people that they didn't lose their children in a mass shooting because it was fake. Ridiculous, manipulative and cruel.

And apparently highly profitable, too. The fact that it's even possible to make money like this is somewhere between disheartening and disgusting.

Also, not just that the death of their child(ren) was fake, but also that they're actors, in on the scam, being paid to lie about their fake dead child(ren).

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2022, 5:26 pm

uncommondenominator wrote:
Also, not just that the death of their child(ren) was fake, but also that they're actors, in on the scam, being paid to lie about their fake dead child(ren).

It's only a matter of time before they work out Tucker Carlson and Ben Shapiro uses an algorithm to respond to certain events in the news with outright lies or perpetuating dangerous conspiracies.

Jones just outright lies. The others hide behind what they claim are facts.

MuddRM
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Aug 2022, 8:54 pm

HighLlama wrote:
Trump might go to church, but he's not a Christian.

You could say that about 99.99% of the people who even attend church.