Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2022, 6:23 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
If Socrates were alive today in the U.S.A., he wouldn't be sentenced to death, but he would accused of "Sealioning."

Or, to use another favorite internet expression "just asking questions".

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2022, 6:34 pm

Just to make sure my position isn't getting twisted, the behavior being described by the term "sealioning", i.e. asking questions in bad faith in order to make someone waste time and effort does happen, however the vast majority of the time when I see that term deployed, it is itself being used in bad faith to avoid answering questions about a position. It's like "gaslighting" in that way, the term describes a real thing, but misuse has rendered it useless and often a red flag to boot.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2022, 6:41 pm

The current over-use of the idea of "sealioning" represents a change in online etiquette norms, probably due to the current popularity of social media like Facebook and Twitter, as distinct from old-fashioned message board forums like WP.

Message boards are more conducive to debate and discussion than social media are. On social media, the norm seems to be, if you don't like what someone says, just block them. On message board forums, on the other hand, people can't just block each other.

So, on message board forums, there is more of a sense of responsibility to participate constructively in debate/discussion. Said responsibility includes things like being willing to back up one's claims with evidence.

People are, apparently, less likely to feel such a responsibility on social media. And, as many people have noted, today's social media are very conducive to "bubbles" and general intellectual laziness.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2022, 6:49 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Just to make sure my position isn't getting twisted, the behavior being described by the term "sealioning", i.e. asking questions in bad faith in order to make someone waste time and effort does happen, however the vast majority of the time when I see that term deployed, it is itself being used in bad faith to avoid answering questions about a position. It's like "gaslighting" in that way, the term describes a real thing, but misuse has rendered it useless and often a red flag to boot.

Here is a good example when someone asked for a source but it was in good faith. They seemed to be curious and wanted to read about it so the person posted the source to a study about vaccines.

https://www.reddit.com/r/banned/comment ... with_data/

And the person who asked didn't even argue or asked for more sources.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2022, 7:48 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Source please, it is your job to back this up wince you make this argument please.

Apparently you were being sarcastic here? In any case, the post to which this was a response contained a statement of ethical values, not factual claims.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2022, 8:25 pm

Fnord wrote:
↑ I used to fall for this kind of trap when it has been set by one of those "I can't get a date" types in L&D, by people who worship talk radio hosts, and by backers of narcissistic and abusive ex-presidents.  Not any more, though.

Isn't your catch phrase "evidence please?"? I've got to say, quite frequently when you deploy it I get the feeling you're less interested in the evidence than you are in stymieing someone who's making an argument you don't care for, so I'm a bit surprised to see you taking this stance. Maybe you don't consider it the same when you do it?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2022, 9:50 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
Source please, it is your job to back this up wince you make this argument please.

Apparently you were being sarcastic here? In any case, the post to which this was a response contained a statement of ethical values, not factual claims.

Yes I being sarcastic to make a point. This is how sealioning works.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2022, 11:11 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Yes I being sarcastic to make a point. This is how sealioning works.

I don't see any evidence for that claim. :lol:

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2022, 4:44 am

MaxE wrote:

Don't say that out loud!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2022, 6:51 am

It's a slippery slope!

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2022, 11:29 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
I thought it might be some kind of sexual thang.

"Hey, Baby! Wanna come to my place for a little...sealioning?"

I thought that too!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!