Page 5 of 9 [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2022, 12:48 pm

Fnord wrote:

Never trust a YouTube video or the people who produce them.

i Find it A Bit Hard to Believe That 'You' Are Not Aware That YouTube

is An Avenue For Sharing Sciences And Arts; And Other Areas of Freedom
of Expression That May Be Total BS OR Total Science As Applicable to

'OFFICIAL' Science Documentaries too.

If You Are Not Aware of

This, i Invite You to Go
Explore And Perhaps
Enhance Your Human
Potentials FOR FREE AS

YOUTUBE PROVIDES AN AVENUE

FOR FOLKS WHO CANNOT AFFORD A LIBERAL ARTS/SCIENCE EDUCATION BY PAY THIS WAY;

Or For Folks Who Specialize in One Field, And May Wanna Expand Their Human Potentials MORE

This Way In Their Off-Time From Their 'Prisons' in Specialized Fields At Work; Wonderful Opportunity Indeed,

And Rather Blind Not to Be Able to See That As Well As THE FACT OF THIS MATTER IS ADVERTISED FOR THOSE WHO

DO PARTAKE And

Of Course 99.999

Percent of the General
Public Likely Fully

Comprehends

This Fact;

Both The Fact,
And The BS Part too...

Whether They Fall to that part or NOT...

(Sarcasm: The Bachelor's of Science Part, Hehe)

And Yes i Do Have One of Those BS's And Two BA's;

However, What i Learned in College Approximates

to Less than One Percent

of What i Know,
Feel, Sense and

Actually Do In Life;

Oh My God, i Spent
19 Years in School

Including A Year of
Master's Level Study
Until i Ran Out of Money
And the University Cancelled
That Area of Study i Was in; Yes,
And DAMN, i Only Got Less Than A
One Percent Return in Lifelong Educational Benefits...

Do Precede With Caution With "Official Sources of Education" too...

Lesson
Learned
By me at Least FOR REAL.

And to Be Clear, i Know, Feel, And
Sense More About Life Now Than
Any Words Will Ever Tell in Verbal Story....

And What That Means Is it is UP to 'You'
To Learn What i Mean About THAT From Within

Per Ancestral Inherited ISA's; Yes "Intuitive, Skills, And Abilities"

As Compared

To Western
Civilization's

Notion of Contrived
Standard IQ And KSA's

("Knowledge, Skills And Abilities") STILL
Spoon-Fed From Birth By Data Download
Way As An Oldest Way of Human
Information Technology This Way;
Yet Contrived Through Abstract Constructs
Co-Created By Humans; Yes, Derived By Way of British
Culture And Yes, Other Cultures Originating Somewhere

in Greek And Other Older Global Human Cultures...

Alas, Basically All We Have is Still Symbols to Attempt
To Mutually And Consensually Share What We Explore

And Of Course, if There is No Shared Experience, It's Extremely
Hard to do that;

And YouTube
And Blogs; Yes,

And Discussion

Boards Like This

Provide Avenues

For Everyone to Jump

Into The Global Pie And Give it A Swing...

Some Folks Strike Out; Others Hit Home Runs
Almost Every Day in Epiphanies New And Original;
Go Figure, It's the Human Condition SET FREE! Join in Or NOT.

Yet Dismissing An Avenue of Freedom of Information/ARTS BASED
ON THE NEGATIVE ASPECTS OF IT ALONE Is Just Pure Ignorance

And the Road

to Limiting

Human Potential FOR REAL.

YET AGAIN, IT'S HARD TO TAKE
YOU SERIOUS ON THIS AS i DO
NOT BELIEVE YOU ARE THAT IGNORANT of the FACTS;

Yet, Do Please Go Ahead, and Surprise me; i Love Surprises!

Hehe, Even Give A Try on Reading me again Someday too, hehe...
PS: Have A Nice Day Yet i am Not Telling ANYONE What To Do By COMMAND, HAha..;)

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2022, 2:17 pm

Misslizard wrote:
Seems like the best gardens are there.The pubs look like fun and those tiered trays with little cakes and sandwiches make me really hungry.
One day I’ll come across the pond and see for myself.

I gather England was revered across Europe a century or two ago as the inventor of the "jardin Anglais." The idea was that everybody else had been doing things the wrong way round, i.e. trying to make the buildings (which are inherently cubes) look all flowery and natural (Baroque / rococo architecture) while trying to make the gardens (which are inherently curvy and organic) look all regimented and straight-liney. Somebody in England realised the mistake and switched it round so they'd be working with the natural tendencies of the materials instead of against them.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2022, 3:03 pm

Fnord wrote:
If you have a complaint about me, take it up with the moderators.  Your sniping is both petty and annoying.

Double standards and hypocrisy don't rise to the level of things requiring the mods, calling them out when seen is perfectly sufficient.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2022, 4:17 pm

I accept that some criticisms of content could be more politely phrased, but I think launching into sustained personal attacks on the commentor just makes matters worse, and detracts from our purpose of being a support group as well as derailing the thread.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2022, 7:49 pm

Once this became a discussion of wokeness and the legitimacy of YouTube pundits, it became a candidate for termination even if no specific rule was violated.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2022, 8:04 pm

@ OP

I'll comment on one link you have made between British culture and the expansion of the British empire.

I think all European kingdoms that flourished during the renaissance invested heavily in warfare but Britian being an island invested in a fleet of ships for both defense (against the Spanish) but also in attack.

The British fleet was deployed early (Sir Francis Drake) in pillaging Spanish galleons of gold from the new world. Subsequently involved in the slave trade from west Africa and in the purchase of new world tobacco, goods, fur etc...

The proceeds of that pillaging paid for more ships which enterprises like the British East India company used to buy ships and soldiers that became rich from the spice trade. Later Britain (Sir Stamford Raffles) expanded into east Asia selling Indian heroin to the Chinese.

Much of the success of Great Britain in creating an empire was through strategic enterprises coinciding with ship building industrialisation and exploitation of local colonised people (for example enslaving textile workers in India to import textiles) and engaging in mostly nefarious activity which established their preeminence in controlling sea trade.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2022, 11:54 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
MaxE wrote:
This was an observation on British culture not the political leadership.

Ah, I see. When you said "When Britain was dominated by Public School types....." I thought you meant "dominated" as in "led." So you're saying that public school types influenced the attitudes of the general public to the degree that it became part of the national character?

I just came across a fun fact that in 2019 two thirds of the Cabinet were products of Public Schools. Something to think about?

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2022, 12:26 pm

Guess who this is?

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2022, 12:36 pm

MaxE wrote:
I just came across a fun fact that in 2019 two thirds of the Cabinet were products of Public Schools. Something to think about?

Same story In USA. With Princeton, Harvard, Yale. etc. High percentage of graduates dominate the political field. I guess if you really dived into the statistics, you might start to believe that Western Democracies are actually Western Oligarchies.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

21 Jan 2022, 12:40 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
Guess who this is?
Melina Mercouri.
The other one is a self-entitled Bunter and third-rate Churchill impersonator, currently shirking all responsibility for anything he's involved with. His speciality in these situations is throwing people under a bus.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2022, 12:53 pm

Cornflake wrote:
]Melina Mercouri.
The other one is a self-entitled Bunter and third-rate Churchill impersonator, currently shirking all responsibility for anything he's involved with. His speciality in these situations is throwing people under a bus.

Support for public transport is never a bad thing.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2022, 12:59 pm

Cornflake wrote:

Correct. But who would have suspected it, with that neatly combed hair?

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2022, 1:35 pm

She looks like she’s fixing to pluck his eyes out.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2022, 1:46 pm

Right, before he developed phobia of combs. He looks like he enjoying the spotlight, attention, of the photographer. She looks friendly towards him, if a bit puzzled, as if studying him. I have no idea who she is.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2022, 3:15 pm

Cornflake wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:
Guess who this is?
Melina Mercouri.

Seems Great Britain missed the "spirit" of the French revolution and didn't guillotine their pompous nobility.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2022, 6:19 pm

theprisoner wrote:
MaxE wrote:

Same story In USA. With Princeton, Harvard, Yale. etc. High percentage of graduates dominate the political field. I guess if you really dived into the statistics, you might start to believe that Western Democracies are actually Western Oligarchies.

I think there's a difference. Every empire has its élite Universities. Frances has the École Polytechnique and the École Normale Supériore. Japan has Tokyo University. Entrance to these places is not strictly limited by pedigree. The Public Schools are a unique environment to which the sons of the aristocracy have been sent for generations, from a shockingly tender age, to mold them into a certain sort of person who trusts only his own kind. It's part of what made Britain what it is, along with the gin mills of the Industrial Revolution. Or how chattel Slavery in the South and Puritanism in the North made the US what it is, or how Bushido made Japan what it is.