Controversial and/or Unpopular, Personal/Political opinions

Page 5 of 31 [ 489 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 31  Next

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2022, 10:28 pm

I believe that gold is gods. Money and the dollar is a fraud cuz I don’t like fiat currency i also never tip or give o charity because I think it’s their job and that’s what welfare is for and I spend money at Amazon to keep the Amazon workers employed as a an act that is giving in my book

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2022, 10:57 pm

There's a tendency to overlook how economics is dominated by ideologues and instead only identify this as an issue on the left. Objectivists and Austrians are outright hypocrites when they try to portray opponents as ideologues or their ideas only working on paper when this vein of economic thought could be a textbook example of putting ideology ahead of reality.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2022, 11:06 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
There's a tendency to overlook how economics is dominated by ideologues and instead only identify this as an issue on the left. Objectivists and Austrians are outright hypocrites when they try to portray opponents as ideologues or their ideas only working on paper when this vein of economic thought could be a textbook example of putting ideology ahead of reality.

Good. Point I just don’t believe in fiat currency because my economics teacher said that every fiat currency becomes worthless like what happened in Germany

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2022, 11:18 pm

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Good. Point I just don’t believe in fiat currency because my economics teacher said that every fiat currency becomes worthless like what happened in Germany

I would say that so far doesn't seem to be the case and he's ignoring that other factors were very significant in contributing to that outcome, if you mean Germany in the '20s. He's likely passed his ideological attachment to the gold standard to you, but there's no inherent reason for gold to be the basis for currency, even if you reject the idea of fiat currency.

In some ways gold isn't much different than a fiat currency other than the supply is artificially limited relative to what might be needed. It still largely relies on public faith in gold as being valuable. In severe enough circumstances it's possible precious metals would lose value compared to food or other more immediate forms of wealth.

I think we're approaching a point were energy might be the most natural thing to correlate to purchasing power, but I'm not convinced that's needed either. Fiat currency is probably adequate for the foreseeable future barring any massive social disruptions and who's to say those wouldn't be of the scale adequate to severely devalue gold and other precious metals as well?

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2022, 11:47 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

I would say that so far doesn't seem to be the case and he's ignoring that other factors were very significant in contributing to that outcome, if you mean Germany in the '20s. He's likely passed his ideological attachment to the gold standard to you, but there's no inherent reason for gold to be the basis for currency, even if you reject the idea of fiat currency.

In some ways gold isn't much different than a fiat currency other than the supply is artificially limited relative to what might be needed. It still largely relies on public faith in gold as being valuable. In severe enough circumstances it's possible precious metals would lose value compared to food or other more immediate forms of wealth.

I think we're approaching a point were energy might be the most natural thing to correlate to purchasing power, but I'm not convinced that's needed either. Fiat currency is probably adequate for the foreseeable future barring any massive social disruptions and who's to say those wouldn't be of the scale adequate to severely devalue gold and other precious metals as well?

Good points like these high fuel prices are causing really bad inflation but I think it was exaberated by all the money printing I am not too worried about gold because it has retained its value for five thousand years I don’t think we will have a dollar collapse in my lifetime but I think it could happen and I want gold and silver in case I have to flee the country for overseas I just don’t think the dollar will last another thousand years but I would bet gold will be worth money then

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2022, 11:57 pm

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
Good points like these high fuel prices are causing really bad inflation but I think it was exaberated by all the money printing I am not too worried about gold because it has retained its value for five thousand years I don’t think we will have a dollar collapse in my lifetime but I think it could happen and I want gold and silver in case I have to flee the country for overseas I just don’t think the dollar will last another thousand years but I would bet gold will be worth money then

I think the money printing is part of the problem, but not the entire problem. If many companies are reporting record breaking profits that vastly exceed inflation (as in, they've grown more than the inflation rate) and compensation at the top has grown exponentially faster than inflation, that to me suggests that price-gouging is actually the main contributor, at least on a day-to-day level for consumers.

Minimizing costs while directing all of the returns to a limited number of people is bound to eventually lead to fewer people having as much of a share of the wealth, which in the long run will cause economic collapse if that process is allowed to run out of control.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2022, 12:04 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:

I think the money printing is part of the problem, but not the entire problem. If many companies are reporting record breaking profits that vastly exceed inflation (as in, they've grown more than the inflation rate) and compensation at the top has grown exponentially faster than inflation, that to me suggests that price-gouging is actually the main contributor, at least on a day-to-day level for consumers.

Minimizing costs while directing all of the returns to a limited number of people is bound to eventually lead to fewer people having as much of a share of the wealth, which in the long run will cause economic collapse if that process is allowed to run out of control.

Well most of the publically traded oil company owners are just every day Americans who worked at a job for decades not not someone like a Rockefeller every American who invests in the stock market owns oil companies publically traded corporations have a fiduciary and legally binding duty to do everything to maximize profit

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2022, 12:18 am

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:

Well most of the publically traded oil company owners are just every day Americans who worked at a job for decades not not someone like a Rockefeller every American who invests in the stock market owns oil companies publically traded corporations have a fiduciary and legally binding duty to do everything to maximize profit

And that's the core the of problem because they actually have responsibilities that are broader than just that (even if they don't exist legally, they certainly exist ethically). They have workers, they have customers, they operate within communities and societies and I'd argue they have responsibilities to all of those interests as well.

The current understanding is inherently harmful because it encourages externalizing costs at every point where ever possible. Issues like the environmental impacts, or liabilities from cost-cutting, or health risks, etc can be ignored if no legal responsibility is required and they'll spend vast sums on ensuring that change doesn't occur because once the precedent is changed it's likely changed for good and they'll be responsible going forward.

Fundamentally this might be a fatal flaw within all capitalist/liberal economic systems including social democracy. I'm not convinced they can't be resolved though proper and adequate regulations, but I have little faith in a a liberal democracy producing those sorts of reforms unless it was to avoid an existential type threat, and even then I'm not sure they'd be implemented without being gutted first.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2022, 11:15 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:

And that's the core the of problem because they actually have responsibilities that are broader than just that (even if they don't exist legally, they certainly exist ethically). They have workers, they have customers, they operate within communities and societies and I'd argue they have responsibilities to all of those interests as well.

The current understanding is inherently harmful because it encourages externalizing costs at every point where ever possible. Issues like the environmental impacts, or liabilities from cost-cutting, or health risks, etc can be ignored if no legal responsibility is required and they'll spend vast sums on ensuring that change doesn't occur because once the precedent is changed it's likely changed for good and they'll be responsible going forward.

Fundamentally this might be a fatal flaw within all capitalist/liberal economic systems including social democracy. I'm not convinced they can't be resolved though proper and adequate regulations, but I have little faith in a a liberal democracy producing those sorts of reforms unless it was to avoid an existential type threat, and even then I'm not sure they'd be implemented without being gutted first.

Personally I come at it from a different school of thought because I think the only real purpose of any business is as much money for its owners and investors as legally possibly I don’t think the real purpose of apple is making smart phones but to make as much money as possible for its shareholders like myself and Warren Buffett legally possible

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2022, 8:19 pm

Centralization does not always mean evil.
Centralization and democracy have advantages and disadvantages to each other.

Although I would personally choose democracy, there are clearly a very large number of people who like centralization.
That doesn't mean they are ret*d or docile.

Cover your eyes, if you like. It will serve no purpose.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2022, 8:37 pm

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:

Personally I come at it from a different school of thought because I think the only real purpose of any business is as much money for its owners and investors as legally possibly I don’t think the real purpose of apple is making smart phones but to make as much money as possible for its shareholders like myself and Warren Buffett legally possible

That's why you write the laws in such a way that situation you describe is no longer the legal reality and hold them to a stricter standard of what qualifies as 'legally possible'. You hold them accountable for costs they externalize and they will stop doing so, so long as the penalties are strict enough and enforced consistently enough.

A system that's incapable of resolving such issues only has questionable legitimacy. Oh, sorry, we can't make these widespread harms illegal because the people engaging in them will complain is an absolute admission that a state is failing at it's most fundamental job.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2022, 9:13 am

Open primaries are an expression of democracy.

Closed primaries are an expression of one-party rule.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2022, 8:53 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
Dead beat dads who sire multiple children with multiple women and won’t pay child support should loose their right to reproduce.Snip snip.Problem solved.
A woman can produce a baby every nine months ,but a player can spawn one everyday if he’s frisky.

that is understating things, i knew people in the army who could and did let fly several times in a day.

sperm takes a few days to regenrate though, and after three of four ejaculations within that timeframe, you're shooting mostly blanks until new sperm is produced

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

04 Apr 2022, 2:53 am

! magz wrote:
A post has been removed. This is not Adult section.
Please, remain reasonably family-friendly and do not provide excess detail when discussing reproduction.
Thank you.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

04 Apr 2022, 6:22 am

funeralxempire wrote:

Austrians and Objectivists are not mainstream economists. In my experience, mainstream economists hold those groups in about as high regard as they hold Marxians - that is to say, not at all.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2022, 6:28 am

Marxism is wonderful in Utopian fantasy….an utter failure in the “real world.”