Controversial and/or Unpopular, Personal/Political opinions

Page 30 of 31 [ 489 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2022, 12:54 am

Given the current political trajectory, I expect the civil rights act to come under fire from elements of the left at some point because it protects whites and males.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2022, 12:56 am

But a lot of people on the left are also white and male though, so if they try to get rid of those rights, wouldn't they be forfeiting their own protection as well?

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2022, 1:02 am

ironpony wrote:
But a lot of people on the left are also white and male though, so if they try to get rid of those rights, wouldn't they be forfeiting their own protection as well?

That's not how they see things. Remember, free speech used to be a core value of the left, and restrictions on it were historically used against them, but that hasn't stopped them from turning hard against it.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2022, 1:22 am

That makes sense. But I guess if the left comes after civil rights, maybe it will be a good a thing, because they will all shoot themselves in the foot, when they loose their civil rights as well as a result?

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2022, 4:45 am

My controversial opinion is that all members of religious groups that object to government-run insurance programs should be exempt from FICA/Workers Comp/ and Unemployment/Obamacare taxes since the Amish are.Either that or start making the Amish pay all taxes like everyone else.Also I stopped tipping people a long time ago so thats upsetting to a lot of people too.I also think that no millionaire or billionaire or trillionaire should ever have to pay any taxes.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2022, 6:28 am

I think that religion should be taught in schools and pupils should learn to knit again.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2022, 7:29 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
I think that religion should be taught in schools and pupils should learn to knit again.

That would be a big no-no in the U.S. because of the 1st amendment requiring separation of church and state with no exceptions.Religion must never be taught in American public schools.My controversial opinion is that I think teachers make too much money.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2022, 8:27 am

I believe a new civil war will happen, but it won't be like the last one.

There will be no battles out in the fields nor the beaches, nor in the streets.

It will involve federal institutions attacked and infrastructure sabotaged using guerilla tactics.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2022, 9:01 am

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
That would be a big no-no in the U.S. because of the 1st amendment requiring separation of church and state with no exceptions.Religion must never be taught in American public schools. My controversial opinion is that I think teachers make too much money.
US schools are allowed to teach the Bible and religion in general, but it has to be taught as literature or history, not as religion per se. That's how my high school taught it, and I honestly liked it, despite being an atheist now. In itself, the Bible is a beautifully written book; Moses, Solomon, and other people who wrote it put a lot of thought into it. It talks about things today's people can learn from. For instance, if you look at what's going on in the world now and what's written in Revelation, there are more similarities than differences.

I agree with you on teachers being overpaid. Their direct salaries may be just OK, but they make a fortune in the corporate kickbacks they get from their school supply lists. Some of those leftists require 50 brand-specific glue sticks per kid! I'm pretty sure the company gives those teachers "an incentive" :roll: for making that requirement.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2022, 9:04 am

I can state with certainty that I do NOT make too much money. The school does not always give me the materials I need, and I have to buy them with my own money.

I receive no incentives from companies, and my fellow teachers don’t, either.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2022, 9:57 am

Twilightprincess wrote:
I can state with certainty that I do NOT make too much money. The school does not always give me the materials I need, and I have to buy them with my own money.

If what you're saying is true, don't spend your own freaking money! Run your classroom like a business, conservative-style. If you can't get fancy-brand stuff, then: (A) do something else, (B) make do with cheaper stuff, or (C) do without. Does it REALLY matter if you do paper cutouts with velvety construction paper and Crayola markers, or old newspapers and off-brand colored pencils? Failing that, simply teach a lesson using spoken statements and chalkboard drawings, rather than paper cutouts at each desk.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2022, 10:03 am

Aspie1 wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:

If what you're saying is true, don't spend your own freaking money! Run your classroom like a business, conservative-style. If you can't get fancy-brand stuff, then (A) do something else, (B) make do with cheaper stuff, or (C) do without. Does it REALLY matter if you do paper cutouts with velvety constructions paper and Crayola markers, or old newspapers and off-brand colored pencils? Failing that, simply teach a lesson using spoken statements and chalkboard drawings, rather than paper cutouts at each desk.

I’m not sure how people feel like they can offer advice when they obviously don’t understand the problem. This issue goes well beyond the need for paper cutouts.

As a special education teacher, I need materials for my kinesthetic learners. Relying solely on spoken statements and chalkboard drawings just wouldn’t work.

I’ve also had to get some curriculum-based materials for students who have very specific needs.

I buy them snacks as well because they get hungry. It’s hard to learn when one is hungry. I had a kid tell me that his family had run out of food stamps for the month and that his mom couldn’t buy groceries.

I work in an impoverished school district.

The point of all of this is that: no, teachers do not make too much money. There’s a teacher shortage because we don’t make enough. The lack of appreciation for what we do probably doesn’t help, either.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2022, 10:22 am

Twilightprincess wrote:
I’m not sure how people feel like they can offer advice when they obviously don’t understand the problem. This issue goes well beyond the need for paper cutouts.

As a special education teacher, I need materials for my kinesthetic learners. Relying solely on spoken statements and chalkboard drawings just wouldn’t work.

I’ve also had to get some curriculum-based materials for students who have very specific needs.

I went to school in a modest-income district during middle school, albeit in a gifted program. Old newspapers were a lifesaver for my classrooms: I remember making paper hats, meant to resemble historic crowns, out of newspapers in my social studies classes. (The school provided scissors and scotch tape, but kids brought in the newspapers.) We made crude costumes, and reenacted the scenes the textbooks described. I enjoyed it. For instance, one kid would wear a newspaper crown, and others would wrap newspaper around their waists like loincloths; this was ancient Egypt when the book of Exodus was set. It was silly and weird, but that's what makes learning memorable.

Other than that, I rest my case.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2022, 10:28 am

Aspie1 wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:

I went to school in a modest-income district during middle school, albeit in a gifted program. Old newspapers were a lifesaver for my classrooms: I remember making paper hats, meant to resemble historic crowns, out of newspapers in my social studies classes. (The school provided scissors and scotch tape, but kids brought in the newspapers.) We made crude costumes, and reenacted the scenes the textbooks described. I enjoyed it. For instance, one kid would wear a newspaper crown, and others would wrap newspaper around their waists like loincloths; this was ancient Egypt when the book of Exodus was set. It was silly and weird, but that's what makes learning memorable.

Yeah, you obviously don’t understand the complexity of the problem. Probably non-teachers lack sufficient insight to offer helpful advice, not that I’m looking for advice.

I’m just demonstrating that teachers do NOT make too much money. Even if they weren’t buying things for their classrooms, it’s still not enough if one considers the importance of what they do and the amount of education that is required for the job.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2022, 10:44 am

Twilightprincess wrote:
Aspie1 wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:

Yeah, you obviously don’t understand the complexity of the problem. Probably non-teachers lack sufficient insight to offer helpful advice, not that I’m looking for advice.

I’m just demonstrating that teachers do NOT make too much money. Even if they weren’t buying things for their classrooms, it’s still not enough if one considers the importance of what they do and the amount of education that is required for the job.

Don't waste your energy on him. He's too shallow and ignorant to see the bigger picture of just how complex world problems really are and offering the most pitiful of solutions. He seems like kind of guy if he was an employer at McDonalds and one of his frycooks burn his hand, he'd tell them to put some mustard on it and get back to work.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2022, 2:21 pm

Aspie1 wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
That would be a big no-no in the U.S. because of the 1st amendment requiring separation of church and state with no exceptions.Religion must never be taught in American public schools. My controversial opinion is that I think teachers make too much money.
US schools are allowed to teach the Bible and religion in general, but it has to be taught as literature or history, not as religion per se. That's how my high school taught it, and I honestly liked it, despite being an atheist now. In itself, the Bible is a beautifully written book; Moses, Solomon, and other people who wrote it put a lot of thought into it. It talks about things today's people can learn from. For instance, if you look at what's going on in the world now and what's written in Revelation, there are more similarities than differences.

I agree with you on teachers being overpaid. Their direct salaries may be just OK, but they make a fortune in the corporate kickbacks they get from their school supply lists. Some of those leftists require 50 brand-specific glue sticks per kid! I'm pretty sure the company gives those teachers "an incentive" :roll: for making that requirement.

I knowthat.But I just dont think religion should be promoted as truth in public schools even though I am a deeply religious man and there are a lot of people in this country who sadly want Christianity taught as truth in the public schools.I am a Christian but I think it has absolutely no place in public shools whatsoever.I am in agreement with you about the Revelation of John in the Bible because I think the events of that book are happening now.