Trump denies he flushed records down White House toilet

Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2022, 2:45 pm

Trump denies flushing records down the toilet and says he was told he was under 'no obligation' to turn over documents, despite the law requiring it

Quote:
Former President Donald Trump on Thursday denied a claim that he flushed documents down a White House toilet and said he was told he was under "no obligation" to turn over his administration's records, which flies in the face of presidential-records law.

"Also, another fake story, that I flushed papers and documents down a White House toilet, is categorically untrue and simply made up by a reporter in order to get publicity for a mostly fictitious book," Trump said in a statement released by his Save America PAC after Axios reported on excerpts of the New York Times reporter Maggie Haberman's upcoming book, "Confidence Man."

Jennifer Jacobs, a Bloomberg White House reporter, said Haberman's reporting about the documents in toilets was "100% accurate" and that sources at the time confirmed staff found torn up pieces of papers in toilets and thought that Trump was behind it.

Trump has faced days of questions and reports over his apparent flouting of the Presidential Records Act, which requires every White House to preserve memos, documents, and other memorabilia considered the property of the American people.

The National Archives and Records Administration, which collects, sorts through, and later releases presidential records, has asked the Justice Department to investigate whether Trump broke the law when he took documents to Mar-a-Lago, The Washington Post reported. In another sign of the seriousness of the situation, The Times reported that officials found what could be classified information in the documents Trump handed over belatedly.

There are now at least four ways in which Trump is accused of trying to destroy documents while in the White House:

He ripped them up, Politico reported in 2018.
He ate them, Omarosa Manigault Newman, a former White House advisor, writes in her 2018 memoir.
He dropped them on the floor, the National Archives said.
He flushed them down the toilet, Haberman's book says.

According to Axios, Haberman's book says White House staffers sometimes found toilets clogged with printed paper. She adds that they thought Trump was the culprit.

Historians and experts have pointed out that the Presidential Records Act is relatively toothless in punishing those who fail to comply with it. But The Daily Beast reported one federal law dealing with the mutilation or destruction of documents carried the possibility of Trump being barred from ever holding office again.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2022, 2:36 am

Explains why he was in the sh*tter for hours. And we all thought he was just tweeting.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2022, 4:02 am

My BS detector is immediately pinging, not because I don't think Trump would do something like that, but because flushing printer paper is super difficult, you'd have to tear it up pretty small and ball it up, then flush it in batches for any kind of document over a couple pages.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2022, 6:05 pm

Dox47 wrote:
My BS detector is immediately pinging, not because I don't think Trump would do something like that, but because flushing printer paper is super difficult, you'd have to tear it up pretty small and ball it up, then flush it in batches for any kind of document over a couple pages.

Remember, we're not talking about a rocket scientist here.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2022, 6:10 pm

Dox47 wrote:
My BS detector is immediately pinging, not because I don't think Trump would do something like that, but because flushing printer paper is super difficult, you'd have to tear it up pretty small and ball it up, then flush it in
batches for any kind of document over a couple pages.

This does coincide with the period he was complaining about having to flush 10 or 15 times. I mean, it could just be a funny coincidence, or it could be a slip that provides further insight.

That said, doesn't the place have nearly 30 fireplaces? I can't imagine he'd actually be dumb enough to walk past a fireplace to go plug the toilet with printer paper and yet here we are having to consider whether that's plausible or not.

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2022, 9:13 pm

The poor plumber having to unblock the toilet. 8O 8O :D :D

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2022, 9:22 pm

No way could I flush paper down my toilet.It’s a low water use one and even toilet paper can clog it.
They probably installed super flushers to deal with all the offal that came out of Trump’s rump.
It was his Offal Office.

KimD
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2022, 9:34 pm

Maybe he didn't flush them, but I'm pretty sure he wiped with them.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2022, 1:16 am

KimD wrote:
Maybe he didn't flush them, but I'm pretty sure he wiped with them.

My God! If he wiped with them, I certainly hope he flushed them!

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2022, 1:21 am

Surely Trump could afford a shredder?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2022, 2:08 am

cyberdad wrote:
Surely Trump could afford a shredder?

Oh, he did shred plenty of stuff. But determined government officials dedicated to country and constitution (the so called Deep State) managed to tape a lot of it back together.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2022, 2:25 am

funeralxempire wrote:
This does coincide with the period he was complaining about having to flush 10 or 15 times. I mean, it could just be a funny coincidence, or it could be a slip that provides further insight.

Ha, I'd forgotten all about that, he did b***h about low flow toilets at some point, didn't he? Man that would be just perfect if that was what ended up getting him in the end, a weird hybrid of a Freudian slip and a Kinsley gaffe.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2022, 2:44 am

You'd think he would have been aware that the best method is to keep all documents in electronic format (better for the environment, too) on a special server, then simply wipe the appropriate server (with a cloth?) when the documents were no longer "required".

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2022, 5:00 am

If the American government was so competitent, wouldn't they have a copies of these records, in case anything like this were to happen?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2022, 5:26 am

Brictoria wrote:
You'd think he would have been aware that the best method is to keep all documents in electronic format (better for the environment, too) on a special server, then simply wipe the appropriate server (with a cloth?) when the documents were no longer "required".

Again, we're not talking about a rocket scientist.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2022, 5:29 am

ironpony wrote:
If the American government was so competitent, wouldn't they have a copies of these records, in case anything like this were to happen?

In all fairness, I don't think anyone ever expected that such an insane idiot would sit in the White House who wouldn't preserve records as they should. Even Nixon had turned his tapes over to the government, so I guess it was taken for granted Presidents would be honest and sane.