Mental health, developmental health and criminal behaviors

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2022, 1:53 pm

To say that mental health and neurodevelopmental disorders is not the cause for criminal behaviors is too broad.

Short answer is that most mental health and neurodevelopmental disorders is not the cause for criminal behaviors, but long answer is that mental health and neurodevelopmental disorders is the cause for criminal behaviors, but it depends on what mental health and neurodevelopmental disorders we are talking about.

The problem is that there are a lot of mental health and neurodevelopental disorders and each mental health and neurodevelopmental disorders are not the same to each other.

Statistically, most people with mental health and neurodevelopmental disorders are more likely to be victims than being perpetrators. There are however small-subgroup of people with mental health and neurodevelopmental disorders that commit crimes.

There are however some mental disorders that is related to criminal behaviors, it includes specific command hallucinations, specific delusions of paranoid and grandiose themes, and Erotomania, specific pathological jealousy , but criminal behaviors is more related to Distributive, Impulsive Control and Conduct Disorders, especially Antisocial Personality Disorder, Narcissistic Personality Disorder and specific Paraphilic Disorders. About Bipolar Disorder, criminal behaviors is more associated with Distributive, Impulsive Control and Conduct Disorders, and specific Paraphilic Disorders. Symptoms of Bipolar Disorder includes impulsively and risky behaviors.

About Communication Disorders and Autism Spectrum Disorder, criminal behaviors in Communication Disorders and Autism Spectrum Disorder is mostly related to lack of social skills, not out of sadism.

Sources:

https://www.mentalhealth.gov/basics/men ... yths-facts

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK396481/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK537064/

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/16485220/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5742412/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK562279/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK470238/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK546673/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5819598/

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/17032961/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK554425/

FairyFox
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Feb 2022, 2:07 pm

Thank a lot.
this is something I would call a well researched post.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2022, 2:10 pm

I am sorry that I put a little bit stigma on mental health, because some mental and neurodevelopental disorders includes elements of criminal behaviors, but the important thing to remember is that statistically, most people with mental health and neurodevelopmental disorders are more likely to be victims than being perpetrators, but some very specific psychotic disorders, paraphilic disorders and Disruptive, Impulse Control and Conduct Disorders has more elements of criminal behaviors behaviors than the general population.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2022, 2:33 pm

Something, that may be of interest. ASD is supposedly represented higher in prison population,* than outside in civilian setting.

* Autism is underdiagnosed in prisoners

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2022, 3:43 pm

That article that you posted is asking me for purchase and login to see full paragraph.

kuze
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Apr 2022, 10:32 pm

theprisoner wrote:
Something, that may be of interest. ASD is supposedly represented higher in prison population,* than outside in civilian setting.

* Autism is underdiagnosed in prisoners

Many prisons in the UK have significant psychology departments partly due to the volume of criminals with antisocial personality disorders. I dont doubt that there is likely some undiagnosed autistics among such populations.

kuze

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2022, 9:48 pm

There is a very limited study about Criminal Autistic Psychopathy, but not to worry too much about it, it just a military psychological profiles on people with ASD who commit serious felonies.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2022, 9:49 pm

It's not official, official diagnosis will be Antisocial Personality Disorder co-morbidity with Autism Spectrum Disorder.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2022, 2:58 pm

You have brought up this subject many time Franz

Its the way you say it & present statistics. It works like this:-

Its fair to say nearly all bad people have a mental health condition. You cant be normal & want to go out and kill or rape someone. Even repeated common theft shows a lack of normal brain wiring and sociopathy.

But only a few mentally ill people are bad people.

Its the same as men and rapists. All rapists are men, but only a few men are rapists.

Read the above many times until you get it

People get stressed out by this kind of silly inflammatory word play that some people like to use to provoke people.

- George Bernie Shaw

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2022, 7:03 pm

carlos55 wrote:

Its fair to say nearly all bad people have a mental health condition. You cant be normal & want to go out and kill or rape someone. Even repeated common theft shows a lack of normal brain wiring and sociopathy.

Its the same as men and rapists. All rapists are men, but only a few men are rapists.

People get stressed out by this kind of silly inflammatory word play that some people like to use to provoke people.

That is not true though. Perhaps statistically the majority of reported rapes have had male perpetrators but it's certainly not always the case.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2022, 7:19 pm

The article is very jargon filled. But what it SEEMS to being saying is...autism is under detected among the prison population. Its saying "among folks in prison more have ASD than we think".

Its NOT saying "there are more ASD folks in prison than outside of prison". In fact its not even saying "there is a higher proportion of asd among folks in prison than among folks outside prison.".

Its just saying that the autism that does exist among the incarcerated tends to go undetected.

Which makes sense that that would be true. Folks in prison may come from disadvantaged homes were the parents cant afford to send their kids to shrinks so they dont get diagnosed with autism as readily as do autistics growing up in privileged families. And as pointed above- if you're an incarcerated adult who is an the autism spectrum your autism maybe buried under the "noise" of other psychiatric conditions. Like antisocial disorder. That contribute to your criminal behavior. Autism may not stand out much. If you're a level high functioning autistic who is also a felon your autism may be the least of your problems.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2022, 8:38 pm

Since Autism is a spectrum, some scientists argue that there has to be some kind of neurodevelopental disorder that causes ASD and Antisocial Personality Disorder.

But, from my experience, I feel safer to be with people who have ASD, because most people with ASD make right choices than people with neurotypical neurology. I met people with neurotypical neurology, a lot of them are not very nice and break school rules. I did meet some criminals with ASD, but only very few, and statistically we are more likely to be victims than being perpetrators. Sometimes we have meltdown, but that is due to changes in routine.

I did bring up about Criminal Autistic Psychopathy, because it concerns me and it sounds very misleading, and I explained why at the top.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2022, 8:48 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
The article is very jargon filled. But what it SEEMS to being saying is...autism is under detected among the prison population. Its saying "among folks in prison more have ASD than we think".

Its NOT saying "there are more ASD folks in prison than outside of prison". In fact its not even saying "there is a higher proportion of asd among folks in prison than among folks outside prison.".

Its just saying that the autism that does exist among the incarcerated tends to go undetected.

Which makes sense that that would be true. Folks in prison may come from disadvantaged homes were the parents cant afford to send their kids to shrinks so they dont get diagnosed with autism as readily as do autistics growing up in privileged families. And as pointed above- if you're an incarcerated adult who is an the autism spectrum your autism maybe buried under the "noise" of other psychiatric conditions. Like antisocial disorder. That contribute to your criminal behavior. Autism may not stand out much. If you're a level high functioning autistic who is also a felon your autism may be the least of your problems.

That is invalidating, Autism Spectrum Disorder should be treated very seriously, even if you are a criminal, because if Autism Spectrum Disorder is more severe, or you have Intellectual Disability, specifically more severe, it can effect your decision making, and learning from experience.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2022, 5:02 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
carlos55 wrote:

That is not true though. Perhaps statistically the majority of reported rapes have had male perpetrators but it's certainly not always the case.

LOL I would be interested to know of biological females without a penis who go out and rape women. Maybe in the lesbian community there are extreme rare cases of rape with devices but I won’t go there. Let’s just say 99.9% of rapists are men.

Anyway most mentally ill people don’t commit violent crime it usually requires something else on top, some experts say a perfect storm of child abuse, exposure to violence etc.. like a bad recipe that requires all things to be in place.

There’s been some studies that confirm this that can be probably found on the internet.

Some people use silly word play to make inflammatory statements like some feminists will change the statement “statistics show all rapes are committed by men but only a few men are rapists” to saying “all men are rapists” sounds similar but makes an untrue statement.

About 20 years back in the 90’s in the UK a senior police representative caused a similar storm by saying nearly all muggings were committed by black people. Many started claiming he was saying all black people were muggers and he was racist.

In the same way nearly all criminals are mentally disturbed in some way but only a few mentally ill people commit violent crime.

- George Bernie Shaw