Nobody interested in the Russia-Ukraine conflict?

Page 102 of 196 [ 3129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105 ... 196  Next

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

22 Sep 2022, 3:25 am

I found this comment on Meduza:

Quote:
The risk for Russia is that it will lose more people. But there’s another risk — a major one, but one that hasn’t been fully articulated. Because they still haven’t revealed exactly who will be conscripted, [...] they’ll be able to use it as an instrument of repression. Step out of line? Here comes your draft order. It’s useful to them as a means of suppressing protests against the mobilization itself. If it were a full mobilization, people would have nothing to lose. But because it’s “partial,” that means that if you behave well, you won’t be mobilized — but if you behave poorly, you’ll be sent to war.
Yes, it's little discussed but very, very likely. The mobilization being "partial" as yet another tool for making Russia more totalitarian.
And some social media reports suggest, it's already being done: https://t.me/truexanewsua/60930

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2022, 6:01 am

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
Im hoping they rebuild as a better society. Simply because despite their long history of doing atrocious things, Russians are still human beings just like the rest of us.

I finally realized it makes me feel better to hope for the best in humans instead of being quick to write off all humans as evil.

I've even seen videos of Russian soldiers who were captured crying because they didnt want this stupid war to happen. So that tells me they can't all be as evil as Putin.

yes it's generally the leaders who push their people into stupid wars and things for the sake of political point scoring. Like the saying “War is young men dying and old men talking”.

We can hope that Russia, and Britain, rebuild as better societies can't we. Many countries around the world need to do the same. Britain is a cesspit at the moment.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2022, 6:05 am

goldfish21 wrote:
Wouldn't it be ironic if putin's decades long mission of destroying the USA from within fails as Americans rally together to save their democracy and jail the orange unwitting kgb agent while putin's war mobilisation move at home becomes the move that unravels Russia from within?

We need to do this in Britain too. The amount of Russian money and Russian billionaires in Britain, including in our House of Lords, is frightening. I'm pretty sure our government is well under the thumb of Russia e.g. Brexit, the continuing success of the Conservative party, the comments made by many politicians that the invasion of Ukraine was the fault of NATO and the West.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2022, 6:39 am

KitLily wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:
Im hoping they rebuild as a better society. Simply because despite their long history of doing atrocious things, Russians are still human beings just like the rest of us.

I finally realized it makes me feel better to hope for the best in humans instead of being quick to write off all humans as evil.

I've even seen videos of Russian soldiers who were captured crying because they didnt want this stupid war to happen. So that tells me they can't all be as evil as Putin.

yes it's generally the leaders who push their people into stupid wars and things for the sake of political point scoring. Like the saying “War is young men dying and old men talking”.

We can hope that Russia, and Britain, rebuild as better societies can't we. Many countries around the world need to do the same. Britain is a cesspit at the moment.

I feel the same way about my country too. Right now I think there's an anxiety being felt by so many Americans that our own society is about to collapse on itself at any moment, and what makes it scary I think is knowing that we pretty much brought it on ourselves...

I know what we are going through doesnt compare to the turmoil being felt in many other countries like Ukraine, but you can't deny that the US is entering dangerous territory right now.

Worthless
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2022, 6:43 am

goldfish21 wrote:
Live fire training for what ? Murdering people?

Yes. There was a while where pretty much every day at least one of the nearby properties in the valley I live in was mag dumping for hours at a time. I have lived here for four years and it wasn't like that when I moved here. It really only started after the ammo shortage was already in full swing, so after covid was well under way.
It seamed most intense after the election to after Jan 6. This isn't a rich area so I genuinely don't know how they could afford to drop that much money on ammo. There are active militia groups in this area, some are laughable, some are not, but even the clown ones aren't joking around and use real weapons. It's also no secret that some of these people went to DC for the insurrection.

There was even an incident just after he lost the election when what we called a methhead militia drove onto our land right past our home on the bad neighbor's easement to his little pocket of "hunting land" on two atvs and two ride-on mowers flying trump and confederate flags. I just stood in the middle of my clearing and starred at them while holding a rifle. They saw me and stared back while driving back to the neighbor's land and immediately back out. They then left the way they came and have never done that perticuarly nonsense again. I wish I had video of it or at least a picture as they look just absolutely ridiculous.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2022, 8:25 am

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
I feel the same way about my country too. Right now I think there's an anxiety being felt by so many Americans that our own society is about to collapse on itself at any moment, and what makes it scary I think is knowing that we pretty much brought it on ourselves...

I know what we are going through doesnt compare to the turmoil being felt in many other countries like Ukraine, but you can't deny that the US is entering dangerous territory right now.

I think Britain is about to collapse in on itself too, that's an apt way to put it. This winter will see people dying because energy bills are so high now. People will have to choose between heating or eating.

And covid is always lurking. Doctors are saying it could hit again big time this winter.

Our NHS is crumbling, soon it will stop functioning and we'll be moved to the private insurance system where anyone who can't pay will just be left to suffer/die.

Our government is ignoring the climate crisis and focusing on fracking, fossil fuels, nuclear power etc. and not moving to green, renewable energy.

They are making it so hard for people to claim disability benefit that many disabled people have died while waiting.

I could go on but it's too depressing...

UK also brought it on ourselves. Our government is full of greedy, cruel people who are lining their pockets, not caring about the other 99%. The media has convinced the public that the Conservative party is the best one to run the country and Labour is dangerous to the UK. But...the Conservative party has been in power for 12 years and life has steadily got worse...so who could be to blame?

As you say, many other countries are far worse, but we're teetering on the brink of very bad things.

Grrr :x :evil:

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2022, 8:41 am

KitLily wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:

I think Britain is about to collapse in on itself too, that's an apt way to put it. This winter will see people dying because energy bills are so high now. People will have to choose between heating or eating.

And covid is always lurking. Doctors are saying it could hit again big time this winter.

Our NHS is crumbling, soon it will stop functioning and we'll be moved to the private insurance system where anyone who can't pay will just be left to suffer/die.

Our government is ignoring the climate crisis and focusing on fracking, fossil fuels, nuclear power etc. and not moving to green, renewable energy.

They are making it so hard for people to claim disability benefit that many disabled people have died while waiting.

I could go on but it's too depressing...

UK also brought it on ourselves. Our government is full of greedy, cruel people who are lining their pockets, not caring about the other 99%. The media has convinced the public that the Conservative party is the best one to run the country and Labour is dangerous to the UK. But...the Conservative party has been in power for 12 years and life has steadily got worse...so who could be to blame?

As you say, many other countries are far worse, but we're teetering on the brink of very bad things.

Grrr :x :evil:

I agree, what's happening in the UK feels like a mirror reflection of what's happening here in the US. Everything you said applies to us too, except I don't think we have to worry as much about the power going out and people freezing and starving to death as we do mass violence brought on by domestic terrorism plus mass shootings and perhaps even another civil war with Americans killing each other all because they simply just don't like each other anymore. :|

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2022, 11:48 am

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
I agree, what's happening in the UK feels like a mirror reflection of what's happening here in the US. Everything you said applies to us too, except I don't think we have to worry as much about the power going out and people freezing and starving to death as we do mass violence brought on by domestic terrorism plus mass shootings and perhaps even another civil war with Americans killing each other all because they simply just don't like each other anymore. :|

It seems to be 'the world' right now doesn't it. I hoped the US would get better when you got rid of Trump and got Biden, but there are still enough Trumpists in power to cause trouble e.g. the Supreme Court.

Yes, that's one thing I don't worry about in the UK: mass shootings and civil war. Brits are too apathetic to fight seriously, plus we learned our lesson from the last civil war IMO.

I genuinely thought we'd have a civil war over the very bitter Brexit divide, but we avoided that, so hopefully we can keep avoiding it.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2022, 12:14 pm

I just hope my country can also avoid both a civil war and turning into a fascist theocratic dictatorship. :(

Worthless
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2022, 12:26 pm

KitLily wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:

It seems to be 'the world' right now doesn't it. I hoped the US would get better when you got rid of Trump and got Biden, but there are still enough Trumpists in power to cause trouble e.g. the Supreme Court.

Yes, that's one thing I don't worry about in the UK: mass shootings and civil war. Brits are too apathetic to fight seriously, plus we learned our lesson from the last civil war IMO.

I genuinely thought we'd have a civil war over the very bitter Brexit divide, but we avoided that, so hopefully we can keep avoiding it.

Somehow I doubt that lessons learned from the English civil war are the reason Brits aren't shooting each other in the streets. Wasn't that like 500 years ago? The US civil war was far more recent and extremely bloody. In fact, the last US civil war pensioner died only a couple years ago. The US also never quite healed from that war and the south continued to operate as a semi-independent region from the end of reconstruction till the civil rights movement 100 years later in the 1960s.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2022, 1:14 pm

Off Topic
DeathFlowerKing wrote:
I think is knowing that we pretty much brought it on ourselves...

Obviously it is preferable to be in America then in Ukraine right now but that we are bringing it on ourselves is gut wrenching. I try to keep my PPR/Current Events posts understandable. Unintelligible rants does not do anybody any good. But at the end of the day being American is part of who I am.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2022, 7:42 am

Ok so back on topic...

Last night my mom's best friend told me something that really bothered me. He said not only does he believe that the news reports about Russia invading Ukraine and commiting atrocious war crimes on the Ukranians is made up by 'fake news', but he pretty much sat there and told me he thinks that the history books about the starvation genocide in Ukraine perpetrated by Joseph Stalin while Ukraine was under the control of the Soviet Union was a made up hoax too... :|

I guess he's fallen under the alt right's spell too. I really like my Mom's friend he's a nice guy and he's been like family to us, but I have a serious problem with anyone who wants to go into denial about genocide or take the side of the ones who commited the genocide.

What the holy f**k is wrong with these people? :x

Worthless
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2022, 7:56 am

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
Ok so back on topic...

Last night my mom's best friend told me something that really bothered me. He said not only does he believe that the news reports about Russia invading Ukraine and commiting atrocious war crimes on the Ukranians is made up by 'fake news', but he pretty much sat there and told me he thinks that the history books about the starvation genocide in Ukraine perpetrated by Joseph Stalin while Ukraine was under the control of the Soviet Union was a made up hoax too... :|

I guess he's fallen under the alt right's spell too. I really like my Mom's friend he's a nice guy and he's been like family to us, but I have a serious problem with anyone who wants to go into denial about genocide or take the side of the ones who commited the genocide.

Unfortunately, there is literally nothing that you, or pretty much anyone other that the sources he uses to get his "information" could possibly say, do, ect. to change his mind. No amount of proof or evidence will be sufficient as it will all just be instantly dismissed without a thought as "fake news". Confirmation bias is very much a real thing.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2022, 7:57 am

Worthless wrote:
Somehow I doubt that lessons learned from the English civil war are the reason Brits aren't shooting each other in the streets. Wasn't that like 500 years ago? The US civil war was far more recent and extremely bloody. In fact, the last US civil war pensioner died only a couple years ago. The US also never quite healed from that war and the south continued to operate as a semi-independent region from the end of reconstruction till the civil rights movement 100 years later in the 1960s.

It was 1642-1651, about 370 years ago, which is the early modern period of history in Britain. We have a looooong history. It was also very bloody, the worst battles in English history of course, because all deaths were English people on both sides.

We have long memories, we are still annoyed with the French for invading us in 1066! :lol:

The good thing is that the English Civil War is when our government set up serious gun controls. They noticed people were wandering around with Civil War weapons randomly killing people, so they made it illegal to carry guns. That is the legacy from the Civil War and probably what's stopping Brits shooting each other now days.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2022, 8:03 am

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
Ok so back on topic...

That is very sad and worrying isn't it.

It's like people in Britain. When Brexit actually happened, there were people celebrating at midnight in London, they were likening the EU to Nazi Germany and saying thank god they'd risen up to defeat the EU.

Brainless.

Worthless
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2022, 8:04 am

KitLily wrote:
Worthless wrote:

It was 1642-1651, about 370 years ago, which is the early modern period of history in Britain. We have a looooong history. It was also very bloody, the worst battles in English history of course, because all deaths were English people on both sides.

We have long memories, we are still annoyed with the French for invading us in 1066! :lol:

The good thing is that the English Civil War is when our government set up serious gun controls. They noticed people were wandering around with Civil War weapons randomly killing people, so they made it illegal to carry guns. That is the legacy from the Civil War and probably what's stopping Brits shooting each other now days.

I would have thought that the limitations on the crown and the establishment of the power of parliament were been the main benefits...