Nobody interested in the Russia-Ukraine conflict?

Page 95 of 196 [ 3123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98 ... 196  Next

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2022, 9:28 am

SkinnedWolf wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Why do you put quotation marks around "Russian"?

They are not ethnically Russian.

They are Russian by nationality. Possibly not Russian by ethnicity. Though not as diverse the old USSR, Russia still has many ethnic groups. The guy on the top has Asiatic looking eyes, but very White, a very north European, coloration, and is actually typical of many Slavic ethnic Russians. Many hawt Russian ladies are blonde and blue eyed, but have high east Asian cheekbones due to some kind of mixing centuries back- either from slavic expansion eastward, or from the Mongols invading westward. So I would guess that he is indeed an ethnic Russian.

The lower guy looks like a cousin, or neighbor, of the Boston Marathon bomber, and could be a Muslim Chechen. Or he might an Urban Jew from Moscow. The entire USSR was once ruled by a non Slavic guy from the Middle East who was an ethnic Ossetian from Georgia (ruled by both Czarist Russia, and by the USSR, but now a separate country). A guy whom you might have heard of named "Joseph Stalin".

Tweety_Pie
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Aug 2022, 10:15 am

They disconnected the nuclear powerplant from the grid, breaching lots of safety measures. I can't believe how unbelievably f*****g seriously STUPID these people are.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2022, 11:21 am

Yes. This is the first war that I am aware of that is being fought on the soil of a country with nuclear power plants. And one of the sides, Putin, is being totally irresponsible. Even if neither side uses nuclear warheads, we may be headed for a nuclear disaster resulting from this war from a powerplant melting down, or being shelled, or gawd knows what.

Last edited by naturalplastic on 25 Aug 2022, 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2022, 11:36 am

It’s horrible to see the images.I had to stop watching for awhile.The little girl pushing her toy stroller with her mom and then she was dead.It got to me. :cry: :cry:

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

26 Aug 2022, 1:19 pm

Good article on Putin’s goals and motivation:
https://www.foreignaffairs.com/russian- ... gela-stent
Tl;dr: Putin views Ukraine as a rightful Russian colony, and objects to it being independent. Nothing to do with “NATO expansion”, just old-school imperialism.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2022, 1:32 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
Good article on Putin’s goals and motivation:
https://www.foreignaffairs.com/russian- ... gela-stent
Tl;dr: Putin views Ukraine as a rightful Russian colony, and objects to it being independent. Nothing to do with “NATO expansion”, just old-school imperialism.

It's kinda like when people complain about t3h woke as the reason they espouse bigotry. No, I'm pretty sure the bigotry is why they do it, the excuse is just something they claim to make it more palatable to some others who might not approve of the honest motive.

Sometimes people even do this to themselves. I'm not a monster invading my neighbour's sovereignty, they just forget that they don't have any and won't accept my favour of reminding them.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2022, 10:21 am

naturalplastic wrote:
SkinnedWolf wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Why do you put quotation marks around "Russian"?

They are not ethnically Russian.

They are Russian by nationality. Possibly not Russian by ethnicity. Though not as diverse the old USSR, Russia still has many ethnic groups. The guy on the top has Asiatic looking eyes, but very White, a very north European, coloration, and is actually typical of many Slavic ethnic Russians. Many hawt Russian ladies are blonde and blue eyed, but have high east Asian cheekbones due to some kind of mixing centuries back- either from slavic expansion eastward, or from the Mongols invading westward. So I would guess that he is indeed an ethnic Russian.

The lower guy looks like a cousin, or neighbor, of the Boston Marathon bomber, and could be a Muslim Chechen. Or he might an Urban Jew from Moscow. The entire USSR was once ruled by a non Slavic guy from the Middle East who was an ethnic Ossetian from Georgia (ruled by both Czarist Russia, and by the USSR, but now a separate country). A guy whom you might have heard of named "Joseph Stalin".

The first person makes me more suspicious that he is a Tatar. They basically show different degrees of Eurasian mixing.
Kryashens:
Crimean Tatars:
Bashkirs, not Tatars, but still Turkic.

Anyway, they seem to be under age.

Cover your eyes, if you like. It will serve no purpose.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

28 Aug 2022, 10:41 am

The ethnicity most used for cannon fodder in Ukraine is said to be Buryats...

...and, of course, Ukrainians from the "republics" (Donyetsk and Lugansk).

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2022, 10:51 am

Far East little yellow men are being used by Russians to crush them on the battlefield, from czar Russia to the Soviet Union to the Russian Federation. More wars, the Buryat nation will no longer exist.

The anger of the minorities fighting Russia’s war

THE ‘SAVAGE WARRIORS’ OF SIBERIA: HOW AN ETHNIC MINORITY IN RUSSIA CAME TO BE UNFAIRLY BLAMED FOR THE WORST WAR CRIMES IN UKRAINE

The Republic of Buryatia: invasion of Ukraine is an extension of Russia’s domestic dominance over the country's ethnic minorities

Systematic poverty makes joining the army a rare outlet for Buryates.
But other indigenous peoples of the Far East also joined in, and Europeans may be inclined to call all them Buryates.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

28 Aug 2022, 10:59 am

^ That's an old imperial tactics: use one conquered nation to conquer another one, and so on.

Generally, Russian Far East is so poor that an army career is a promising option - unlike i.e. for Russians from Moscow and Petersburg, who have much more opportunities.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

29 Aug 2022, 9:07 am

Polish media say counter-offensive in Kherson region has started... of course, no details until it's over. They may regain the areas West to Dnipro in this operation - including the biggest city captured after Feb 24.
I really hope they succeed without much losses.

A tool for tracking wildfires can tell us a bit about military operations:
https://firms.modaps.eosdis.nasa.gov/ma ... .6,48.3,6z

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2022, 11:39 am

magz wrote:
Polish media say counter-offensive in Kherson region has started... of course, no details until it's over. They may regain the areas West to Dnipro in this operation - including the biggest city captured after Feb 24.
I really hope they succeed without much losses.

A tool for tracking wildfires can tell us a bit about military operations:
https://firms.modaps.eosdis.nasa.gov/ma ... .6,48.3,6z

Thanks for the link.

I Wonder what Happening in Southern Africa it’s one huge lava inferno.

Maybe it’s heat reflection? global warming who knows but Australia not so impacted oddly

- George Bernie Shaw

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

30 Aug 2022, 1:11 pm

carlos55 wrote:
I Wonder what Happening in Southern Africa it’s one huge lava inferno.
Same with Brazil. Dry season in areas slightly South of equator?

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2022, 9:40 am

https://warisboring.com/german-foreign-minister-vows-to-support-ukraine-war-effort-no-matter-what-my-german-voters-think/

Quote:
Germany’s foreign minister has decided that she will support the war in Ukraine- regardless of what Germans want or how it may impact their quality of life.

In what seems to be a case of taking support of the “current thing” way too far, Foreign Minister Annalena Baerbock said she would continue to support Ukraine “no matter what German voters think.”

If I give the promise to people in Ukraine – ‘We stand with you, as long as you need us’ – then I want to deliver. No matter what my German voters think, but I want to deliver to the people of Ukraine,” she said.

Despite countless Germans facing economic and logistical hardship this year (ranging from an increase in migrants/refugees, being told to shower/travel/do laundry less, and the possibility of many not being able to heat their homes or get proper food supplies), Baerbock has stated Ukraine will come first- and Germans must endure.

Is the foreign minister elected?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2022, 9:59 am

magz wrote:
The ethnicity most used for cannon fodder in Ukraine is said to be Buryats...

...and, of course, Ukrainians from the "republics" (Donyetsk and Lugansk).

Fun fact: Actor Yul Brynner was part Buryat Mongol. That, and part Swiss German, and part Russian. He was born to a wealthy family in Vladivostok in 1911.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2022, 12:28 pm

I'm on the side of the Ukraine and I hope the war ends soon.