Nobody interested in the Russia-Ukraine conflict?

Page 103 of 195 [ 3108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106 ... 195  Next

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2022, 8:07 am

Seems like almost every other country in the world thinks in long terms while we Americans think in short terms. :lol:

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2022, 8:09 am

KitLily wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:
Ok so back on topic...

Last night my mom's best friend told me something that really bothered me. He said not only does he believe that the news reports about Russia invading Ukraine and commiting atrocious war crimes on the Ukranians is made up by 'fake news', but he pretty much sat there and told me he thinks that the history books about the starvation genocide in Ukraine perpetrated by Joseph Stalin while Ukraine was under the control of the Soviet Union was a made up hoax too... :|

I guess he's fallen under the alt right's spell too. I really like my Mom's friend he's a nice guy and he's been like family to us, but I have a serious problem with anyone who wants to go into denial about genocide or take the side of the ones who commited the genocide.

What the holy f**k is wrong with these people? :x

That is very sad and worrying isn't it.

It's like people in Britain. When Brexit actually happened, there were people celebrating at midnight in London, they were likening the EU to Nazi Germany and saying thank god they'd risen up to defeat the EU.

Brainless.

Yes indeed, brainless freaking people everywhere these days. It's even more depressing when it's your own friends and family. :(

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2022, 8:09 am

Worthless wrote:
KitLily wrote:
It was 1642-1651, about 370 years ago, which is the early modern period of history in Britain. We have a looooong history. It was also very bloody, the worst battles in English history of course, because all deaths were English people on both sides.

We have long memories, we are still annoyed with the French for invading us in 1066! :lol:

The good thing is that the English Civil War is when our government set up serious gun controls. They noticed people were wandering around with Civil War weapons randomly killing people, so they made it illegal to carry guns. That is the legacy from the Civil War and probably what's stopping Brits shooting each other now days.

I would have thought that the limitations on the crown and the establishment of the power of parliament were been the main benefit...

It is possible to have more than one benefit from the Civil War.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2022, 8:11 am

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
KitLily wrote:

It's like people in Britain. When Brexit actually happened, there were people celebrating at midnight in London, they were likening the EU to Nazi Germany and saying thank god they'd risen up to defeat the EU.

Brainless.

Yes indeed, brainless freaking people everywhere these days. It's even more depressing when it's your own friends and family. :(

Yes, I've lost a few friends due to their Brexit obsession and their weird reasons for voting to leave the EU e.g. the EU spends a lot of money on their conferences. 8O

Whatever people think about the EU, it's not Nazi Germany! The EU hasn't murdered millions of innocent people or invaded other countries :roll:

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

23 Sep 2022, 8:20 am

KitLily wrote:
Whatever people think about the EU, it's not Nazi Germany! The EU hasn't murdered millions of innocent people or invaded other countries :roll:

People here were afraid EU would become an European Soviet Union, but 18 years later I can say: no, it didn't.
It's rather over-bureaucratic but that's not nearly what we did fear.
And with our super-incompetent national government right now, people are turning to EU for more reason.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Worthless
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2022, 8:22 am

KitLily wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:
Ok so back on topic...

Last night my mom's best friend told me something that really bothered me. He said not only does he believe that the news reports about Russia invading Ukraine and commiting atrocious war crimes on the Ukranians is made up by 'fake news', but he pretty much sat there and told me he thinks that the history books about the starvation genocide in Ukraine perpetrated by Joseph Stalin while Ukraine was under the control of the Soviet Union was a made up hoax too... :|

I guess he's fallen under the alt right's spell too. I really like my Mom's friend he's a nice guy and he's been like family to us, but I have a serious problem with anyone who wants to go into denial about genocide or take the side of the ones who commited the genocide.

What the holy f**k is wrong with these people? :x

That is very sad and worrying isn't it.

Brainless.

I must admit I get much pleasure from seeing brexit blowup in the face of the unionists in northern Ireland. They were openly hoping to destroy the Good Friday agreement by having a hard boarder reestablished in Ireland and instead they are now closer to Irish reunification under the free and independent (other than EU membership of course) Irish Republic then ever before. Now they are complaining about the Good Friday agreement being breached and that the customs boarder in the Irish Sea is unfair... I can't help but feel a degree of Schadenfreude as well as joy at a free and reunited Ireland being closer than ever. They are even refusing to participate in northern Ireland's government since they lost the last election.

Worthless
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2022, 8:26 am

KitLily wrote:
Worthless wrote:
KitLily wrote:
It was 1642-1651, about 370 years ago, which is the early modern period of history in Britain. We have a looooong history. It was also very bloody, the worst battles in English history of course, because all deaths were English people on both sides.

We have long memories, we are still annoyed with the French for invading us in 1066! :lol:

The good thing is that the English Civil War is when our government set up serious gun controls. They noticed people were wandering around with Civil War weapons randomly killing people, so they made it illegal to carry guns. That is the legacy from the Civil War and probably what's stopping Brits shooting each other now days.

I would have thought that the limitations on the crown and the establishment of the power of parliament were been the main benefit...

I don't see that as a benefit.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2022, 10:38 am

I feel it's commendable that most police in the UK don't carry guns.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2022, 10:55 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

I feel the same way about Japan. Most Japanese officers from what I heard don't carry them because they don't have to because most of their people have enough respect for law and order.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2022, 9:29 pm

According to the fb post these are Polish football fans:

this or that pictures

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2022, 10:30 pm

Russians are fleeing in every direction every way they can to avoid being forced into the army:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/russian- ... 04e08e4884

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2022, 3:34 am

Worthless wrote:
KitLily wrote:
Worthless wrote:
KitLily wrote:

I don't see that as a benefit.

You've lost me. What don't you see as a benefit?

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2022, 3:40 am

magz wrote:
KitLily wrote:

People here were afraid EU would become an European Soviet Union, but 18 years later I can say: no, it didn't.
It's rather over-bureaucratic but that's not nearly what we did fear.
And with our super-incompetent national government right now, people are turning to EU for more reason.

I can see why they feared that, but as you say, it didn't happen.

I didn't want Britain to leave the EU because their laws are like safeguards, restraining the British government from going too far with, for example, making people work very long hours, stopping paid maternity and sick leave, allowing harmful additives in our food etc.

Now we're out of the EU, the British government is running riot with no one to say 'hang on, that is a harmful law.' Our government is stripping away workers rights of all kinds, importing cheap but unhealthy food, letting energy bills double and triple etc.

And there's no one to stop them now. They just barge ahead doing what they want.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2022, 3:44 am

Worthless wrote:
I must admit I get much pleasure from seeing brexit blowup in the face of the unionists in northern Ireland. They were openly hoping to destroy the Good Friday agreement by having a hard boarder reestablished in Ireland and instead they are now closer to Irish reunification under the free and independent (other than EU membership of course) Irish Republic then ever before. Now they are complaining about the Good Friday agreement being breached and that the customs boarder in the Irish Sea is unfair... I can't help but feel a degree of Schadenfreude as well as joy at a free and reunited Ireland being closer than ever. They are even refusing to participate in northern Ireland's government since they lost the last election.

It's amazing isn't it. People complain about something they don't like, then they get exactly what they wanted. But they STILL don't like it because it leads to consequences they didn't foresee!

Same with Brits. 'We want to stop Freedom of Movement to stop 'foreigners' coming into Britain! Oh. It works both ways and now we can't move around Europe as we did before!'

Doh! :roll:

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2022, 3:45 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

Yes, they just kill us in other ways :cry:

But usually UK police are helpful and not scary.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

24 Sep 2022, 6:47 am

KitLily wrote:
I didn't want Britain to leave the EU because their laws are like safeguards, restraining the British government from going too far with, for example, making people work very long hours, stopping paid maternity and sick leave, allowing harmful additives in our food etc.
There were no EU laws the UK had to follow - only mutual agreements to implement common standards, many of which were championed by the UK.
This was the great lie of Brexit - the UK's sovereignty and independence was never at risk from the EU.