Nobody interested in the Russia-Ukraine conflict?

Page 168 of 196 [ 3131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171 ... 196  Next

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2023, 6:00 pm

Quote:
Volodymyr Zelensky says China risks World War Three if it allies itself with Russia, as top Chinese diplomat heads to Moscow

Ukraine’s President has issued a dire warning to China about escalating global tensions following a symbolic visit from US President Joe Biden.
Ewa Staszewska

February 21, 2023

Quote:
President Volodymyr Zelensky has cautioned China that backing Russia would have global ramifications, after he met with US President Joe Biden to mark a year into the conflict.

China has repeatedly refrained from condemning Vladimir Putin’s February 24 invasion of Ukraine and has promoted peace in the region.

Meanwhile the United States has been a staunch supporter of Ukraine, with Mr Biden’s surprise visit to Kyiv on Monday reflective of the nation’s commitment to fighting Russia.

However, Mr Zelensky issued the chilling warning around a potential World War Three following news that China is considering arming Russia to help President Putin win the war.

https://www.skynews.com.au/world-news/v ... erallPos=5

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2023, 6:15 pm

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2023, 6:19 pm

Highlander852456 wrote:

Sets bad example to break international law, and expect your enemies to uphold, the very law.

Countries do what they think they can get away with.
(This is much more prevalent in authoritarian governments.)
Many countries are showing pootin the consequences of his imperialistic policies.
Hopefully, the CCP will take note.

Highlander852456 wrote:
Iraq war was internationally condemned. No one wanted the war except US. Everyone voted against it.

It was an illegal war.
Some think it was about resources rather than retribution for 9/11.

And it wasn't only Bush Jr who created the climate for the rise of ISIS.
Other countries were involved.
"Honest John" also committed Australia to the series of events that eventually led to the ISIS abomination.

Highlander852456 wrote:
We live in a world where countries that have power don't uphold the very laws they profess to uphold.
That is not a joke, but reality.
That is just fact. Not a belief.

"Might makes right."
Welcome to the real world. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2023, 6:32 pm

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2023, 6:37 pm

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2023, 6:43 pm

Quote:
Aerial video shows Russian convoys destroyed in night attack
CNN
14.8M subscribers
592K views 10 hours ago #CNN #News

Highlander852456
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Feb 2023, 6:43 pm

Quote:
Many countries are showing pootin the consequences of his imperialistic policies.

Sanctions enacted on Russia are two way street.
Gas and oil got a lot more expensive as of now, especially for countries that depended on it.
Lunhanks, Donetsk and Krym are now probably permanently part of Russia.
The war was supposed to be over by now, its hard to even guess how long it will take.
Ukraine was not even able to beat Donetsk and Lunhanks how do they hope to win over Russia?
Even with aid from west in form of intelligence and tanks and other weapons, NATO cannot intervene unless we want to risk a nuclear strike, which does not make me happy.
Ukraine is now in ruin and if Putin wants he can bomb all electric plants in Ukraine and that would make Ukraine completely helpless. He already did damage most of the critical infrastructure.
Good luck doing business in land where there are no roads or bridges.
Ukraine lost 10 milion people to immigration.
That is one fourth of its population according to BBC.

Unless Putin rolls over dead, and with mighty luck is replaced by someone moderate, not worse than him, we might have chance at peace, that is only if Zelensky wants it.
SO far Ukraine only lost territory.

It was reported that Putin is losing money in this war, but Russian military tech is extra cheap.
It was made cheap, because Russia has small economy.
Which makes it easy to run war.

I don't know how much Zelensky has left in his army.
I don't know how long can Putin continue.
But even if Putin wants to end the offensive he can still in theory retain the already conquered territory from Ukraine.

How exactly have we shown Putin his imperialism does not work?

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2023, 7:23 pm

Quote:
HAVE FALLEN Krasna Hora, Paraskoviivka & Berkhiva
HistoryLegends
250K subscribers
98,036 views Feb 23, 2023 #historylegends #ukrainewar
REUPLOAD...Heavy battles for the North of Bakhmut. Ukraine urgently sent reinforcements to hold the line. Russia 4km away from last supply line going into Bakhmut.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2023, 7:43 pm

Highlander852456 wrote:

pootin's army has been humiliated and has lost enormous amounts of ordinances.
An estimated 200,000 dead and wounded.
The greatest contributor of tanks and vehicles to the Ukraine military has been Russia.
So much for the second most powerful 'army' that was supposed to conquer Ukraine in 3 days.

He is struggling to procure ammunition, and can't produce more technological equipment due to sanctions.
Hundreds of thousands of potential conscripts have escaped Russia.

pootin's economy is in tatters.
It will take more than a decade for it to recover.
Hopefully, he will be dead by that time.

pootin's survival, politically and actually, is hanging by a thread, and he can't let go of the tail of the tiger he has created for himself.
He is prepared to slaughter hundreds of thousands of lives to extend his existence.
Somehow this sounds familiar.
Perhaps that is why he has earned the name "Putler".

I think it safe to say, pootin made a major boo-boo.
After seeing this, others may not make the same mistake, fingers crossed. 8)

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

23 Feb 2023, 3:41 am

Blaming USA because Iraq is a bit like "my brother took $10 without asking and got only minor scourning, so it should be okay I took and spent all the family savings". Raising children, I know how it works.

I'm among those who think it is WWIII already - because it is a war about challenging existing international order with force. Current international order is one where countries like mine can exist. The order proposed by Russia is not. If USA is more or less self-appointed guardian of current international order, I demand them to help defend it now. Past sins, inclusing ones against us, are irrelevant at the moment, apart from simple "don't repeat them".

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Highlander852456
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Feb 2023, 2:49 pm

Pepe wrote:
Highlander852456 wrote:

pootin's army has been humiliated and has lost enormous amounts of ordinances.
An estimated 200,000 dead and wounded.
The greatest contributor of tanks and vehicles to the Ukraine military has been Russia.
So much for the second most powerful 'army' that was supposed to conquer Ukraine in 3 days.

He is struggling to procure ammunition, and can't produce more technological equipment due to sanctions.
Hundreds of thousands of potential conscripts have escaped Russia.

pootin's economy is in tatters.
It will take more than a decade for it to recover.
Hopefully, he will be dead by that time.

pootin's survival, politically and actually, is hanging by a thread, and he can't let go of the tail of the tiger he has created for himself.
He is prepared to slaughter hundreds of thousands of lives to extend his existence.
Somehow this sounds familiar.
Perhaps that is why he has earned the name "Putler".

I think it safe to say, pootin made a major boo-boo.
After seeing this, others may not make the same mistake, fingers crossed. 8)

Could be, but realistically the world is big. I doubt that Russia cannot find other supplies for their weapons manufacturing. Including China?

As for the number of dead, who did the count and how exactly? Its an estimate by whom?

As for the video you posted it was extremely detailed, so the guy did excellent job. I wonder how he compiled so much info. The thing here is all I saw is Ukraine being beaten. At no point I got impression Russia is losing.

As for 3 days defeat, that was probably only if they managed to get rid of Zelensky.

We should also understand that Putin has a calculator too.
So if he has resolve, and the war is still going, its possible his army is being just underestimated.
I don't know, but underestimating the enemy is classic military blunder.
Not saying you are wrong. I am just not buying into optimism that seem both premature, and not supported by anything.

Highlander852456
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Feb 2023, 2:58 pm

magz wrote:
Blaming USA because Iraq is a bit like "my brother took $10 without asking and got only minor scourning, so it should be okay I took and spent all the family savings". Raising children, I know how it works.

Yeah we don't have to blame US then. Lets just act like it was a OK war.
According to wikipedia Iraq is still unable to find stability and even current democratically elected government faces protests across country on daily basis.

My main point though was that international law, is a guideline that no one listens to.
As that goes its effectively a tool that works on small nations, not so much for Russia or US, and in future might be futile for China. Oh the irony these nations preside over the council.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

23 Feb 2023, 5:00 pm

"Exporting democracy" to Middle East regularily ends in disasters and I think USA is finally learning it. Things that worked in Germany, Japan and Korea don't work in Iraq and Afghanistan. Let's learn not to underestimate local cultures.

International law, at least to some point, protects small and medium-sized countries. Of course various parties try to bend and circumvent it - that does not render it completely invalid, just like existence of criminals does not render regular law invalid.
In a drastic situation like the one we're having now, we have to gang up and act before things get worse. The same if USA gets rabid or when China decides they are ready for the confrontation. We need to gang up to protect what we value, we need to create and improve mechanisms preventing the worst, just like in functional democracies, there are plenty of mechanisms limiting the power of those in charge to prevent unpredictable dictatorships.

My opinion is, international law is young and immature but worth further working on.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2023, 8:44 pm

If you've got an hour and a half, this might be worth your time.

TL;DW: Countries aren't poker chips in a game between great powers; Western leftists who have adopted Cold War anti-communist talking points in favour of imperialism are idiots and spheres of influence = empires. Supporting 'Great Powers' to inherently have spheres of influence is supporting imperialism.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Last edited by funeralxempire on 23 Feb 2023, 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2023, 9:16 pm

Oh, my...
I hope this friction (assuming it to be true) isn't the result of my yesterday's post suggesting pootin was "hanging by a thread". 8O
It was not my intention to breach "The Prime Directive"...

...Or was it... :twisted:

Quote:
Heightened tensions between Vladimir Putin and Wagner’s Yevgeny Prigozhin could lead to Russian leadership coup

Public claims of "treason" and disapproval by one of Putin's closest allies has raised suspicions around a possible coup and whether the West would assist.
Ewa Staszewska

February 23, 2023

Quote:
Growing tension between Vladimir Putin and long-time ally Yevgeny Prigozhin could lead to the Russian President’s demise and a potential leadership coup.

The Wagner Group top boss has assumed a pivotal role in recruiting fighters via the mercenary private militia for some of Russia’s most gruelling battles in eastern Ukraine.

However, the businessman has reportedly grown increasingly frustrated with Putin after the Kremlin claimed the capture of the Ukrainian town of Soledar - one of Moscow’s only territorial gains in the war - and stifled Wagner's recruitment of convicts.

European political adviser Jason Jay Smart predicts that in light of the frayed friendship, Mr Prigozhin may make a move “to the top spot”.

Quote:
“[He] may recognize the changing winds in Russia as being his own window of opportunity to move up the ladder to the top spot,” Mr Smart wrote in the Kyiv Post.

Mr Smart warned that although Putin thinks he has “all under control”, history shows the dictator will eventually “slip” or someone will be eager to “usurp the old lion king”.

"History, though, shows that sometimes leaders fall not because they have done something wrong in the eyes of their citizens, but simply because a young lion wishes to usurp the old lion king,” he said.

Mr Prigozhin has butted heads with Russia's military leaders over prohibiting further prisoner recruitment, after signing up 40,000 convicts from the country’s prisons.

More recently, he accused the top brass of “treason” for not supplying his group with more ammunition in their battle efforts which he claims resulted in higher fatalities.

https://www.skynews.com.au/world-news/h ... erallPos=2

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2023, 10:03 pm

Highlander852456 wrote:

Could be, but realistically the world is big. I doubt that Russia cannot find other supplies for their weapons manufacturing. Including China?

The CCP is being warned not to interfere, but it could well do.
After all, if the international community puts pootin "back in his box", this reflects badly on the aspiration of the CCP in regard to Taiwan.

Highlander852456 wrote:
As for the number of dead, who did the count and how exactly? Its an estimate by whom?

The 200,000 casualty ESTIMATE figure on the Russian side includes wounded.
I have been keeping an eye on the Ukraine war for some time, as this threat indicates.
I have no trouble believing the figure could be that high.
But it is still only an intelligent GUESStimate since pootin would never disclose the Russian losses.

Highlander852456 wrote:
As for the video you posted it was extremely detailed, so the guy did excellent job. I wonder how he compiled so much info. The thing here is all I saw is Ukraine being beaten. At no point I got impression Russia is losing.

At this stage, the guy seems to be pro-pootin, but I am not going to jump to conclusions and intend to watch more of his videos.

For example, in a previous vid of his, he was saying how the Ukrainians were pulling its best units out of Bahkmut and leaving conscripts to die on the front line.
His interpretation was "interesting" but ultimately failed if one gave it more in-depth consideration.

It appears that some of the best units were withdrawn from the Bakhmut front line, but any armchair general could see the VITAL importance of protecting the flanks so as not to create another "Stalingrad" scenario for the Ukrainians.
The youtube blogger failed to consider this explanation.
As it so happened, the Ukrainian units DID stop and force a retreat of the Wagner group in the south flank of Bakhmut.
He conspicuously didn't comment on his previous criticism of the Ukrainian "High Command".
As I said, ANY armchair "general" could see the logical imperative of DEFENDING THE FLANK TO PROHIBIT ENCIRCLEMENT!! ! D'uh... :doh: :wall:

We all make mistakes...but some pretend they don't happen.
Denys Davydov and I will admit when we are wrong. 8)

Highlander852456 wrote:
As for 3 days defeat, that was probably only if they managed to get rid of Zelensky.

I doubt this. The Ukrainian morale was/is not dependant on one man, and it is the COMMANDERS, not Zelensky, who are organising the defence of Ukraine.
He is "simply" a politician and figurehead, but a good one as he has proven.
"Don't send me transport, send me ammunition...", hooah! 8)

And obviously, their commanders were much superior to the Russian ones, who seemed to have been the result of POLITICAL appointments rather than being in their positions due to their military acumen/acuity .
There would be exceptions to the rule, obviously, such as The Wagner Group.

Add political appointments to military leadership to RAMPANT corruption in the military at seemingly most levels, and you start to get a picture as to why the pootin army has been so ineffective.

Highlander852456 wrote:
We should also understand that Putin has a calculator too.
So if he has resolve, and the war is still going, its possible his army is being just underestimated.
I don't know, but underestimating the enemy is classic military blunder.
Not saying you are wrong. I am just not buying into optimism that seem both premature, and not supported by anything.

I am not overly optimistic, especially recently with the additional Russian conscripts of between 200,000 and 300,000 new "raw meat" for the "meat grinder".
If you have been reading my posts, you will have seen that I temper my position, which is dependant on the information that comes in.

To be klear, my "Heart & Soul" is with the Ukrainians, but I will not be a Goebbels who espoused propaganda of ultimate Nazi victory when the barbarians were at Berlin's door.
My mother believed his nonsense (she was a teenager) and was shocked to see Russian troops in the city.