Nobody interested in the Russia-Ukraine conflict?

Page 2 of 196 [ 3131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 196  Next

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2022, 11:15 am

Oh Gawd ,, oh Gawd , Oh Gawd …. Am sorry but this is very scarey situation to me.
And Putin is a politician….and was buddy buddy with trump … am afraid his actions will be very bad for Ukraine.
And very possibly the rest of the world. . :(

where ever you go ,there you are

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2022, 12:01 pm

The world is a complete mess and humans are complete idiots, so bring it on. Who actually wants to continue living on this crapsack planet anyway? It's time to put an end to ourselves and our many miseries.

Apparently I have failed myself as a both a woman and a human being according to society, because the value of humans is measured only by what job or career they have, and with women it's only measured by who they're married to and the two point-whatever children they have. Since I have none of those things I'm nothing but a waste of oxygen and resources. If WW3 breaks out, only the strongest and fittest survive. Not strong, not fit, so... goodbye.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2022, 12:36 pm

Im 61, with no kids. Ive accomplished very little….but I have a right to my dignity and existence by virtue of being a half-decent human.

You have that right, too!

MonotoneGenius
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Feb 2022, 1:55 pm

Interested.

I think Russia will brutally pursue their own "self-interest." It could boil over into something global, but probably not, IMO. The people of Ukraine will pay a heavy price, the rest of the world will see higher energy prices and think they are the greatest victims. Not sure if Russia will invade the whole country, or just move troops into the areas of Ukraine it already occupies. It may want to avoid a full invasion/takeover and just use the rebels to commit violence and apply pressure to Ukraine. That will be enough to keep Ukraine from joining NATO. That might be enough for Russia to feel like it is adequately feared.

The U.S. had its Monroe Doctrine, it created its 'backyard' and tried to rule over the Americas... it overthrew governments and made military threats if European powers looked like they were getting too involved. That is what Russia is doing with Ukraine. I disagree with both, they are both examples of imperialism, it is bullying on the international level.

Two kids I know from the old neighborhood grew up and moved from the midwestern US to Ukraine. My sister has a good friend in Ukraine. So I get news from people who care. It's sad.

Last edited by MonotoneGenius on 22 Feb 2022, 2:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2022, 1:57 pm

Thank you Kraftie .. for those good thoughts ….. believe you are right about dignity .

By the above standards , I would be a borderline failure too, do not have a husband anymore, no kids .
No big job …. But I like what you wrote about dignity , very much .
Still very very worrisome situations in the world . Our government is behaving poorly , for our economy .
Now potential engagement with Russia over , what someone called a failed State ( Ukraine) . It’s aweful, I understand Russia’s logic . Which , I wish I did not . And can see no recourse given the situation but for Russia to be Ukraine’s caregiver.
Even when Trump was in office he criticized Hunter Biden’s behavior in Ukraine , right around when Russia took over Crimea. Hunter wanted business interests for himself in Ukraine , in order that the US would provide military assistance. All the way back when they took Crimea. When his father was only a Vice President at one point ,Back then.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

22 Feb 2022, 2:02 pm

If Ukraine ever became a "failed state", it wasn't without a lot of involvement from Kremlin to keep them that way.
But it's not a failed state, it's a state struggling to lift itself out of the post-soviet crap that Russia want them to stay in.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2022, 2:06 pm

Have read repeatedly over the years that the US economy is based on a wartime economy. And we have not had a real significant War of real serious police action for awhile. And Biden is a puppet president, And since the military industrial complex has taken over our country . Easily viewable by pie charts showing the USA gross nation product spending is almost 2/3rd of the budget on military spending . Which is crazy by itself . A War is a great opportunity for Corporations that deal in military supplies . :(

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

22 Feb 2022, 2:10 pm

I don't deny USA has its issues and some of them are big. Poland, too.
But the real problem right now is Russia behaving like a no-one-dares-to-stop-me-he-he-he bully.

When Poland was joining NATO and military bases here were discussed, American trigger-happiness was something we hoped would play for our advantage this time.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2022, 2:44 pm

Ukraine is very mineral rich.Wonder if that is one of the reasons Putin wants to claim it.

https://ukraineinvest.gov.ua/industries/mining/

https://eng.minerals-ua.info/

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2022, 3:02 pm

Probably.

He wanted the Crimea because it has ports. Access to warm-weather ports.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

22 Feb 2022, 3:06 pm

Also, for historical reasons, Moscow can't stand Ruthenian nations doing their own politics and seeking allies other than Moscow.
It's a matter of national hurt ego.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2022, 3:31 pm

I have interest but my messy health just doesn't support being active in anywhere near as many things any more.

Will share this I remembered from several years ago and sent to a friend who wrote me the other day asking if what her grandson was telling her that he'd seen on social media had any relationship to reality.

Quote:
Everything you need to know about the Ukraine crisis
By Max Fisher Sep 3, 2014

This all began as an internal Ukrainian crisis in November 2013, when President Viktor Yanukovych rejected a deal for greater integration with the European Union (here's why this was such a big deal), sparking mass protests, which Yanukovych attempted to put down violently. Russia backed Yanukovych in the crisis, while the US and Europe supported the protesters.

Since then, several big things have happened. In February, anti-government protests toppled the government and ran Yanukovych out of the country. Russia, trying to salvage its lost influence in Ukraine, invaded and annexed Crimea the next month. In April, pro-Russia separatist rebels began seizing territory in eastern Ukraine. The rebels shot down Malaysian Airlines flight 17 on July 17, killing 298 people, probably accidentally. Fighting between the rebels and the Ukrainian military intensified, the rebels started losing, and, in August, the Russian army overtly invaded eastern Ukraine to support the rebels. This has all brought the relationship between Russia and the West to its lowest point since the Cold War. Sanctions are pushing the Russian economy to the brink of recession, and more than 2,500 Ukrainians have been killed.

A lot of this comes down to Ukraine's centuries-long history of Russian domination. The country has been divided more or less evenly between Ukrainians who see Ukraine as part of Europe and those who see it as intrinsically linked to Russia. An internal political crisis over that disagreement may have been inevitable. Meanwhile, in Russia, Putin is pushing an imperial-revival, nationalist worldview that sees Ukraine as part of greater Russia — and as the victim of ever-encroaching Western hostility.

It appears unlikely that Ukraine will get Crimea back. It remains unclear whether Russian forces will try to annex parts of eastern Ukraine as well, how the fighting there will end, and what this means for the future of Ukraine — and for Putin's increasingly hostile but isolated Russia.

"

https://www.vox.com/2014/9/3/18088560/ukraine-everything-you-need-to-know

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2022, 9:10 pm

Can you believe the stupidity????

Trump and his Secretary of State, Pompeo, praised Putin!! !!

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

23 Feb 2022, 5:49 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Can you believe the stupidity????

Trump and his Secretary of State, Pompeo, praised Putin!! ! !

Looks like some masks have fallen out.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

23 Feb 2022, 9:17 am

Erdogan condemns Russian actions https://www.reuters.com/world/turkeys-e ... 022-02-22/

It's not just a democracy/authoritharianism thing, for Erdogan is a loud and proud authoritarian. But he knows he could be next. He recognizes what kind of Pandora's box is using armies to redraw state borders today.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2022, 9:55 am

magz wrote:
Erdogan condemns Russian actions https://www.reuters.com/world/turkeys-e ... 022-02-22/

It's not just a democracy/authoritharianism thing, for Erdogan is a loud and proud authoritarian. But he knows he could be next. He recognizes what kind of Pandora's box is using armies to redraw state borders today.

I wouldn’t believe everything you read in the western news. This crisis was carefully orchestrated by Washington along with the media hyperbole of Russian invasion.

These two republics are made up of ethnic Russians next to Russia but within Ukraine.

When the Ukrainian gov was overthrown back in 2014 the new administration made up of many nationalist right wing elements immediately introduced discriminatory anti Russian laws such as the banning of the language etc..

The people of Crimea and these two regions of predominantly Russian ethnic majorities immediately rose up and broke away. Crimea had a referendum to go back to Russia and that was the end of that.

The two other regions were not recognized or incorporated into Russia they had a 7 year stalemate where they were bombed by the Ukrainian army everyday.

In the last few weeks Washington decided to turn up the heat by giving Ukraine lots of weapons along with some heavy hinting that in exchange it wanted them to turn up the heat with these two regions.

So from a few missiles sent over each day it went up to around 400 in a day. Things got crazy and the authorities there pleaded with Russia for help.

In the end they agreed to recognize their independence (that’s independence not incorporate into Russia) and provide military assistance, probably in the end means bombing those Ukrainian artillery positions terrorizing that population.

Strange invasion where the local population meet you with fireworks and cheers rather than bullets and bombs don’t you think?

You don’t need to be super intelligent to realize that all is not as it seems.

Can you imagine a small enclave of Mexico made up of US citizens being bombed by the Mexican army, how the US would react?

Also Erdogan sent the Turkish army into northern Syria which it occupies uninvited where it helps ISIS jihadist fighters impose themselves on the local population so he’s the last person to judge.

- George Bernie Shaw