Nobody interested in the Russia-Ukraine conflict?

Page 96 of 196 [ 3123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99 ... 196  Next

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2022, 7:56 am

SkinnedWolf wrote:
https://warisboring.com/german-foreign-minister-vows-to-support-ukraine-war-effort-no-matter-what-my-german-voters-think/
Quote:
Germany’s foreign minister has decided that she will support the war in Ukraine- regardless of what Germans want or how it may impact their quality of life.

In what seems to be a case of taking support of the “current thing” way too far, Foreign Minister Annalena Baerbock said she would continue to support Ukraine “no matter what German voters think.”

If I give the promise to people in Ukraine – ‘We stand with you, as long as you need us’ – then I want to deliver. No matter what my German voters think, but I want to deliver to the people of Ukraine,” she said.

Despite countless Germans facing economic and logistical hardship this year (ranging from an increase in migrants/refugees, being told to shower/travel/do laundry less, and the possibility of many not being able to heat their homes or get proper food supplies), Baerbock has stated Ukraine will come first- and Germans must endure.

Is the foreign minister elected?

01.09.2022 Energy crisis: Germans call for help from the government
Quote:
People in Germany are beginning to feel the pinch, in the face of skyrocketing electricity, fuel, and food prices. As inflation rises, concern is mounting — and so is dissatisfaction with the government.

05.09.2022 Germans revive Cold War Monday demonstrations amid inflation
Quote:
Protesters from Germany's left and the right have called for regular Monday protests against the rising cost of living. These evoke the peaceful revolution in East Germany but also of recent anti-immigrant rallies.

05.09.2022 How Germany cushions energy price hikes and inflation
Quote:
Chancellor Olaf Scholz has vowed to support those who are struggling with the fallout of the war in Ukraine. Now his center-left coalition government has come up with relief measures. Here's what they entail.

Germany's federal government will spend €65 billion ($64.6 billion) in relief measures to help the population weather the current energy crisis and inflation.

"I am very pleased with the result," said Chancellor Olaf Scholz, who has been seeing his personal approval ratings plummet. "All of this together and many other measures will help us get through the winter together."

The governing coalition of center-left Social Democrats (SPD), environmentalist Greens, and neoliberal Free Democrats (FDP) presented their compromise on Sunday.

Cover your eyes, if you like. It will serve no purpose.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

08 Sep 2022, 8:16 am

AFAIK, German foreign minister is not elected personally - the party he represents is elected and he has to act in agreement with the ruling coalition or he loses his office.
German system is rather complex, as it's a federation of lands and each land have their own government - I'm not well oriented in it.

Germans did a super stupid thing by becoming dependent on Russian natural gas despite warnings from Poland and Baltic States. Now Nord Stream is suspended and... whoops! The whole German energy sector is in deep trouble.
The government is trying to cushion the impact, I can't say how successfully.

In the meantime, in Poland, we know we'll not have enough coal for the winter and the government actions are chaotic and ineffective. Probably I'll have to wear two sweaters at home, hope I'll be able to cook.
Well, we've been through worse things. Good thing is, the bombs are not dropped on us this time.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

09 Sep 2022, 2:34 am

Ukrainian tactics is not focused on territorial gains, rather on weakening the enemy and distrubing supply chains... which is laying ground for counter-offensives when the right time comes.
And, apparently, the right time in the Kharkiv-Izyum-Kupyansk region has come.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

09 Sep 2022, 7:22 am

Kupiansk. Reportedly, they're at the outskirts. Things are going fast there now.

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2022, 11:10 am

Tens of thousands protest in Prague against Czech government, EU and NATO

Quote:
PRAGUE, Sept 3 (Reuters) - An estimated 70,000 people protested in Prague against the Czech government on Saturday, calling on the ruling coalition to do more to control soaring energy prices and voicing opposition to the European Union and NATO.

Organisers of the demonstration from a number of far-right and fringe political groups including the Communist party, said the central European nation should be neutral militarily and ensure direct contracts with gas suppliers, including Russia.

Police estimates put the number of protesters at around 70,000 by mid-afternoon.

"The aim of our demonstration is to demand change, mainly in solving the issue of energy prices, especially electricity and gas, which will destroy our economy this autumn," event co-organizer Jiri Havel told iDNES.cz news website.

The protest at Wenceslas Square in the city centre was held a day after the government survived a no-confidence vote amid opposition claims of inaction against inflation and energy prices.

Cover your eyes, if you like. It will serve no purpose.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

10 Sep 2022, 6:42 am

Kupyansk officially liberated :heart:
The current counter-offensive is incredibly fast - they've been preparing for weeks and they're doing a great job!

Kupyansk and Izyum (currently practically encircled) are important transport hubs.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2022, 7:15 am

I can't help but feel like we're headed for WW3...

itscomplicated
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Sep 2022, 7:25 am

magz wrote:
Kupyansk officially liberated :heart:
The current counter-offensive is incredibly fast - they've been preparing for weeks and they're doing a great job!

Kupyansk and Izyum (currently practically encircled) are important transport hubs.

:D

itscomplicated
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Sep 2022, 7:28 am

DeathFlowerKing wrote:

me to . remember this? why did biden do this . whats happening next

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Withdrawa ... %80%932021)

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

10 Sep 2022, 7:31 am

^ The contrast between Afghanistan and Ukraine is striking - what each of them did without NATO troops but with NATO weapons.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2022, 7:34 am

magz wrote:
Germans did a super stupid thing by becoming dependent on Russian natural gas despite warnings from Poland and Baltic States. Now Nord Stream is suspended and... whoops! The whole German energy sector is in deep trouble.

The stupidest thing they did was shut down all their nuclear plants that were functioning with no problem. They'll get irradiated anyway when Zaporizhzhy goes up, going to happen sooner or later. Hmm time to invest in some iodine futures?

itscomplicated
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Sep 2022, 7:36 am

i dont think there should have been a war in afganistan. im wondering why there was a sudden pull out of troops

can you explain what you mean ?

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2022, 7:37 am

itscomplicated wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:

He did it because he had to and had the balls for it. Not like that dickless wonder who preceded him.

itscomplicated
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Sep 2022, 7:39 am

MaxE wrote:
magz wrote:

The stupidest thing they did was shut down all their nuclear plants that were functioning with no problem. They'll get irradiated anyway when Zaporizhzhy goes up, going to happen sooner or later. Hmm time to invest in some iodine futures?

thanks that fills me with hope

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2022, 7:39 am

I find it interesting how Russia invaded Ukraine for made up reasons the same way the US did Vietnam and Iraq.

Like Russia's absurd claim that the Ukrainians were "Nazis" compared to America's claim that Iraq had "Weapons of Mass Destruction"

We invaded and destroyed those countries over lies...

And I guess in a way it shows how the Americans really arent that much better than the Russians.

We're both basically oligarchies after all.

itscomplicated
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Sep 2022, 7:40 am

MaxE wrote:
itscomplicated wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:

He did it because he had to and had the balls for it. Not like that dickless wonder who preceded him.

obama didnt do anything either