Nobody interested in the Russia-Ukraine conflict?

Page 66 of 196 [ 3123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69 ... 196  Next

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2022, 8:47 pm

ironpony wrote:
Pepe wrote:
ironpony wrote:
Well after this war is over, will it be awkward for NATO countries to resume trade with Russia after, politically or not really?

Get rid of Hitler pootin and there will be a political reset. 8)

But no one plans to get rid of him. So far the plan is to just discourage him out of it.

Says who?

I bet there are at least a dozen different plans to get rid of him by nearly as many countries - and a handful of those plans are most likely from within Russia.

There are a lot of wealthy powerful people that stand to gain with putin out of the way and someone else installed to rule Russia.

When putin eventually dies, there will be several different high profile Russians & their backers trying to take power just the same as when any gang/mafia leader gets taken out.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2022, 10:47 pm

That's true, it's just that so far NATO doesn't seem to be interested in getting rid of him, but maybe I am just being impatient.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2022, 11:46 pm

Jakki wrote:
In the interest of Clarification .: :oops:
Please seperate political beliefs from peoples job positions , It is not considered bad taste to be a republican in a democratic state. As early in the war , Germany was aligned with Russia. Being a Communist was not a crime in Germany then . But being a Russian Communist when Germany turned on Russia . Would have been a issue .
In spite of your beliefs , it is quite impossible to change history . :roll:

"Let us agree to disagree." 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2022, 1:27 am

Quote:
It comes as Ukraine authorities report Russian forces have started withdrawing from the decimated north-eastern city of Kharkiv.

General staff claimed Moscow's troops were now turning their focus to guarding supply routes and launching airstrikes in the Donetsk region in the east with the aim to "deplete Ukrainian forces and destroy fortifications".

Kharkiv Mayor Ihor Terekhov said Ukrainian troops have been able to take back six towns and villages after heavy shelling ceased.

"There was only one attempt from Russians to hit the city with a missile rocket near Kharkiv airport, but the missile was eliminated by Ukrainian air defence," he said.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky stressed in a daily address to his residents that "no one can predict how long this war will last".

https://www.skynews.com.au/world-news/r ... erallPos=4

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2022, 1:31 am

Quote:
Vladimir Putin wants to ‘give himself the legacy of restoring Russian glory’
4 hours ago

Former British commander Richard Kemp says Vladimir Putin isn’t “mad” or “clinically insane” – but rather the Russian president is acting with his “legacy” in mind.

“I think he’s got a very different perspective on life from us,” Colonel Kemp told Sky News Australia.

“What he wants is to give himself the legacy of restoring Russian glory, the tsarist glory really rather than the USSR – and that means taking large areas and dominating large areas of Eastern Europe,” he said.

“In particular also shoving back at NATO and doing his best to neutralise NATO, and I think he’s going to be quite successful at achieving that.”

https://www.skynews.com.au/opinion/outs ... erallPos=6

I disagree with some of what he says.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

15 May 2022, 2:56 am

^ Yes, I think those commenters are right. Putin is acting on a narrative of "Great Russia" and sees restoring its glory as his historical epic mission.
The irony is, his actions are precisely counter-productive - because living in a different world of values and narratives, he gravely misunderstands both Ukrainians and Westerners, so he didn't predict their reactions.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2022, 4:48 am

magz wrote:
^ Yes, I think those commenters are right. Putin is acting on a narrative of "Great Russia" and sees restoring its glory as his historical epic mission.
The irony is, his actions are precisely counter-productive - because living in a different world of values and narratives, he gravely misunderstands both Ukrainians and Westerners, so he didn't predict their reactions.

I have been saying this all along.
The part I disagree with is his belief that NATO couldn't defend itself against pootin.

"In what universe?"
pootin can't even handle Ukraine, FFS. :mrgreen:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2022, 7:12 am

I’ve been saying this, too :)

Putin has his hands full in Ukraine. Imagine what would happen if he battled NATO?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2022, 7:26 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I’ve been saying this, too :)

Putin has his hands full in Ukraine. Imagine what would happen if he battled NATO?

that's why i'm afraid he'd use N.B.C.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2022, 8:49 am

The thing to do….is to call Putin’s bluff.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2022, 9:11 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
The thing to do….is to call Putin’s bluff.

what if it means we're vaporized?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2022, 9:29 am

I’m glad we didn’t ask that during the Cuban Missile crisis.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2022, 9:33 am

….??? Three cheers for the Bay of Pigs incursion event ????.

That backfired quite badly . But at least it did not result in a all out War .

where ever you go ,there you are

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2022, 9:36 am

The Cuban Missile Crisis was a year later.

It had to do with the Soviets planting nuclear missiles in Cuba.

We have no choice but to call the Russians’ bluff.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

15 May 2022, 10:49 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
We've heard so many threats of using nukes here that we've largely become deaf to them.
Yes, technically, a nuclear-capable Iskander would fly from Kaliningrad District to Warsaw in less than 3 minutes. Technically, it's possible to do it.
But seeing the Russian disaster of a war in Ukraine, attacking a NATO country would be a suicide and attacking a NATO country with nuclear weapons would be an even surer suicide. I'm ready to call the bluff, even if I am the one to be evaporated if I'm wrong. A bully thinks in terms of fear and gets all confused when confronted with someone who's not afraid. That's why Russian plan on Ukraine has failed.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2022, 11:23 am

magz wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
We've heard so many threats of using nukes here that we've largely become deaf to them.
Yes, technically, a nuclear-capable Iskander would fly from Kaliningrad District to Warsaw in less than 3 minutes. Technically, it's possible to do it.
But seeing the Russian disaster of a war in Ukraine, attacking a NATO country would be a suicide and attacking a NATO country with nuclear weapons would be an even surer suicide. I'm ready to call the bluff, even if I am the one to be evaporated if I'm wrong. A bully thinks in terms of fear and gets all confused when confronted with someone who's not afraid. That's why Russian plan on Ukraine has failed.

Living near New York City while not as high risk as living in Poland getting vaporized in would be a preferable option to what would likely happen if things get out of hand a slow agonizing death from radiation, starvation, and dehydration.

Calling Russia’s bluff seems like the thing to do based on their history of backing down when confronted. We can go back to the Cuban Missile Crises, withdrawing a plan to send “peacekeepers” to the mideast during the ‘73 Arab Israeli war when Nixon put the military on alert, to Afghanistan. More recently Putin was threatening nukes back during the Crimea invasion, and threatening nukes on an almost daily basis now, threatening to bomb the supply lines and thankfully not backing it up.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman