Page 2 of 10 [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2022, 4:03 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Most people don't get to shoot 3 people to death and then just walk away with no legal consequences.

BLM protestors who are burning down buildings and looting should not be chasing cops who are armed with guns. That is called being stupid.

Kyle Rittenhouse wasn't a cop, even if he was role-playing as one. He shouldn't have been marching around with a gun around there he should have stayed away and let the cops do their job...if anything he also put them in danger by acting recklessly.

Rittenhouse was defending himself.
This was the official verdict of the court.
Deal with it. ;)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2022, 4:05 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Does Rittenhouse think he can silence everyone who calls a murderer a murderer?

The court determined it was self-defence.
Therefore, he is not deemed to be a murderer.
It ain't rocket surgery. ;)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2022, 4:09 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Killing someone in self-defense is technically not murder. At least within the American justice system.

If you can call someone who's terminated a pregnancy a murderer you can call Rittenhouse a murderer.

*I* don't "call someone who's terminated a pregnancy a murderer ".
Hoo is the person to which you refer? :scratch: :mrgreen:

Your premise seems to be: Anything anyone says is valid.
Your premise is invalid. ;)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2022, 4:14 pm

League_Girl wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Killing someone in self-defense is technically not murder. At least within the American justice system.

If you can call someone who's terminated a pregnancy a murderer you can call Rittenhouse a murderer.

Good point, the women can start suing anyone who calls them a murderer for having an abortion.

Don't call women who have an abortion a murderer.
Simples.

If they do, sue the *uckers.
It ain't brain rocketeering. :mrgreen:

Who says both accusers can't be sued? :scratch:
Go for it.
Enjoy the journey. :thumright:

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2022, 4:15 pm

I agree with Pepe.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2022, 4:19 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
I think that's going a bit too far in limiting speech, especially given that murder has broader meanings and usages than just in a criminal justice context.

Whether it's Rittenhouse, or OJ Simpson or cops and soldiers "just following orders" or pretty much anyone else who's taken a human life, I don't feel the state is entitled to punish people for defining a killing as murder even if that killing doesn't meet the state's definition. Further, I don't think punishing people is a viable response because that will just encourage more of it.

It is a complex issue I guess. In some cases it is appropriate to punish, and in others it is not, depending on the severity of loss incurred by affected parties.

Definitely, there's competing interests - among them freedom of speech. One always has to consider how restrictions can be used to harm interests and causes one supports under the assumption those restrictions can be applied in many scenarios, not just the one unfolding at the time they're passed.

Rittenhouse won his criminal case, his actions were found to have not met the legal definition. Unfortunately for him lots of people who haven't been found guilty of murder are still seen as murderers by reasonable people and therefore his claims of being defamed likely won't stand up.

He gets to deal with the consequences of his actions and one of those consequences is forever being tainted by association with the violence he perpetrated.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2022, 4:19 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Good point, the women can start suing anyone who calls them a murderer for having an abortion.

I think this is perfectly reasonable.

It should be illegal to call a woman a murderer for having an abortion. I fully agree.

What reasonable person wouldn't agree? :scratch:
I thought something like that would already be illegal. :scratch:

Quote:
slander

noun: slander

the action or crime of making a false spoken statement damaging to a person's reputation.

Quote:
Libel
noun
noun: libel; plural noun: libels

Law
a published false statement that is damaging to a person's reputation; a written defamation.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2022, 4:20 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
I agree with Pepe.

Wot reasonable person wouldn't? :mrgreen:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2022, 4:24 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
I think that's going a bit too far in limiting speech, especially given that murder has broader meanings and usages than just in a criminal justice context.

Whether it's Rittenhouse, or OJ Simpson or cops and soldiers "just following orders" or pretty much anyone else who's taken a human life, I don't feel the state is entitled to punish people for defining a killing as murder even if that killing doesn't meet the state's definition. Further, I don't think punishing people is a viable response because that will just encourage more of it.

It is a complex issue I guess. In some cases it is appropriate to punish, and in others it is not, depending on the severity of loss incurred by affected parties.

Definitely, there's competing interests - among them freedom of speech. One always has to consider how restrictions can be used to harm interests and causes one supports under the assumption those restrictions can be applied in many scenarios, not just the one unfolding at the time they're passed.

Rittenhouse won his criminal case, his actions were found to have not met the legal definition. Unfortunately for him lots of people who haven't been found guilty of murder are still seen as murderers by reasonable people and therefore his claims of being defamed likely won't stand up.

He gets to deal with the consequences of his actions and one of those consequences is forever being tainted by association with the violence he perpetrated.

One word: Nick Sandmann
Ok, two words. :mrgreen:

Quote:
The Washington Post settles lawsuit with Nick Sandmann after viral March for Life controversy

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/07/24/medi ... index.html

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2022, 4:27 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Even if he is a murderer or someone who has been tainted by an association with violence - he has the right to challenge his detractors via court of law.

As it happens, he is not a murderer, as determined by his court case.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2022, 4:31 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Even if he is a murderer or someone who has been tainted by an association with violence - he has the right to challenge his detractors via court of law.

He has to have a solid case, which he doesn't and I've given other real world examples of how people have been called murderers and not been able to challenge it as defamatory.

The fact that some posters on here believe their own internal logic trumps the logic used out in the real world doesn't mean Rittenhouse has any case because the trial won't be held here.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2022, 4:40 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

He has to have a solid case, which he doesn't and I've given other real world examples of how people have been called murderers and not been able to challenge it as defamatory.

The fact that some posters on here believe their own internal logic trumps the logic used out in the real world doesn't mean Rittenhouse has any case because the trial won't be held here.

I find *your* particular logic fascinating. :mrgreen:

demeus
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2022, 4:53 pm

The difference between Kyle Rittenhouse and those who utilize the services of an abortion clinic is that Kyle knows who is calling him a murder which makes it easier to file a suit. Try to get the name of the person who called you a murderer at an abortion clinic and I bet you will get stonewalled at every step.

That said, Kyle might have an issue with statements prior to his conviction because of the truth as an exception to the libel and slander laws which has been an exception before the Declaration of Independence. After the verdict, his defendants will have a harder time claiming truth because he was found not guilty by a jury of his peers in accordance to law. That said, he would have to prove actual damages by the statements being made however and with his story being well known, that would make it harder to prove actual damages from a single statement. If someone called me a thief without proof and I lost my job, I would have actual damages. Kyle not getting a job because of the statements of Whoppi Goldburg would be harder to prove because the hiring manager could easily know his story another way.

Then again, anyone can sue anyone in this country and it is up to the courts to decide if the lawsuit is even valid (which is why litigation is so expensive in this country).

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2022, 5:06 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Well, I may be wrong, but only time will tell. I would put my money on Rittenhouse winning any defamation court case (in the real world) if I had a stake in or anything to gain from, Rittenhouse winning, which I do not.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2022, 5:35 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
Well, I may be wrong, but only time will tell. I would put my money on Rittenhouse winning any defamation court case (in the real world) if I had a stake in or anything to gain from, Rittenhouse winning, which I do not.

I will be buying Rittenhouse shares as soon as the stock market opens today. :mrgreen:

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2022, 5:41 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

I think this is perfectly reasonable.

It should be illegal to call a woman a murderer for having an abortion. I fully agree.

Doesn't this contradict your opinion on freedom of speech, people can say things you don't like but they are free to say it without getting bullied?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.