Page 1 of 14 [ 223 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next

CubsBullsBears
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2022, 4:24 pm

A while back, I started to watch some of Ben Shapiro’s content on YouTube to at least try to hear things from a right wing perspective. In general, there are some parts of right wing ideology that I can tolerate. But there are a few topics in which the general republican opinion on it is a complete danger to people and the ability to get rid of bigotry. In the video I’ll link down below, Mr. Shapiro basically expresses support for this law, which prohibits school staff members from discussing anything LGBT related to students at schools, paving the way for the parents, including ones who are anti-gay and anti-vaccine, to be the main influencers in their kids lives and not teachers, which unlike most parents, have a degree in education!

I think we all agree how awful it is when an LGBT child is born into a religious and therefore anti-gay family and gets told that what they feel is wrong, having an effect on their mental health and in some cases, leads to suicide. Governor DeSantis in Florida panders to all the bigoted and brainwashed parents in his state. And there’s another issue with all this……..

Instead of allowing teachers to teach the correct way to see the world as they’re licensed to do, DeSantis allows for parents to have many different types of influences on their kids, setting the stage for future generations to be as divided as it is today.

The part of this that hits home for me is that my dad actually listens to Ben Shapiro. Both he and my uncle(who lives in Florida, btw and supports Gov. DeSantis and)have expressed support for parental rights and such. They’re not anti-gay, but supports those parental rights that I’ve already established is dangerous. It’s got my like “c’mon, you’re better than that!”

CubsBullsBears
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2022, 4:27 pm

This article provides really good insight into the dangers of the new law, from the perspective of a gay teen in Florida:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/12/opin ... -bill.html

txfz1
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2022, 5:04 pm

You've overlooked a key part of the bill as it's not all students, it limits the age (kindergarten to third grade).

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2022, 7:31 pm

It should be pointed out that the same people in Florida, and elsewhere, also are pushing the Anti-CRT lie that any mention of white racism will permanently scar white students, and are also the same who want evolution stricken from school biology classes.

CubsBullsBears
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2022, 8:07 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
It should be pointed out that the same people in Florida, and elsewhere, also are pushing the Anti-CRT lie that any mention of white racism will permanently scar white students, and are also the same who want evolution stricken from school biology classes.
was this a major political issue in the 2010s? When I was in Middle school/high school then there wasn’t any controversy about what we were being taught in history class and it was never called critical race theory. At least as for as I know.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2022, 11:17 pm

I don't understand how saying a word is considered a crime, when there are worse things a person can do that are legal in comparison. People are allowed to lie to each other, to their advantage and this legal, people are allowed to cheat on their SOs and not tell them and this is legal, etc.

Yet saying this one word is worse...

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2022, 11:55 pm

txfz1 wrote:
You've overlooked a key part of the bill as it's not all students, it limits the age (kindergarten to third grade).

How do people miss this point?
It staggers the mind that they do.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2022, 11:57 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:

You keep on inserting CRT into other topic discussions.
"Interesting".

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2022, 12:00 am

ironpony wrote:
I don't understand how saying a word is considered a crime, when there are worse things a person can do that are legal in comparison. People are allowed to lie to each other, to their advantage and this legal, people are allowed to cheat on their SOs and not tell them and this is legal, etc.

Don't buy into the propaganda.
There is no "Don't say gay" law/bill.
It is political buggery from the hard left.

The Oracle of Truth has spoken. 8)

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2022, 2:03 am

Pepe wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

"Interesting".

Because the two matters are tied together, as it's the same people pushing both reactionary messages.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

14 Mar 2022, 4:42 am

ironpony wrote:

It’s not literally a law that bans saying the word “gay”. Instead it bans teachers from talking about sexual orientation or gender identity with children below a certain age, or whenever it is felt to be “age inappropriate”. Teachers not being able to talk about homosexuality is one of a number of horrible implications.

It’s a stupid law that is homophobic and transphobic. Legislation designed to appease cancel culture warriors rather than to solve a real problem nearly always ends up creating problems.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2022, 4:50 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

"Interesting".

Because the two matters are tied together, as it's the same people pushing both reactionary messages.

Are you saying both are in the same bill?
If not, please stay on topic.
I never go off on a tangent, btw. ;)

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2022, 5:09 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
It should be pointed out that the same people in Florida, and elsewhere, also are pushing the Anti-CRT

I think the hot weather in Florida must be frying their brains. The Fort Lauterdale Police department hired a senior cop to introduce diversity and then fired him for discriminating against white people :roll:

I mean how dumb or low do you have to sink to pull this??

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2022, 5:17 am

cyberdad wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
It should be pointed out that the same people in Florida, and elsewhere, also are pushing the Anti-CRT

I think the hot weather in Florida must be frying their brains. The Fort Lauterdale Police department hired a senior cop to introduce diversity and then fired him for discriminating against white people :roll:

Based on what I heard from a reliable sauce source, he *did* discriminated against whites and made racist comments such as:
"There are too many white faces on the board."
Most reasonable people would consider that inappropriate.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2022, 5:21 am

Pepe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Based on what I heard from a reliable sauce source, he *did* discriminated against whites and made racist comments such as:
"There are too many white faces on the board."
Most reasonable people would consider that inappropriate.

Yeah, but he was hired to bring in diversity (he's white).

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

14 Mar 2022, 5:35 am

Not allowing talking about sexual orientation below some age brings all kinds of bad things, just like not talking to children about sex results in more teen pregnancies, not less.
If responsible adults don't bring up the topic first, it will be the street teaching it to them.

My daugther asked me about gays when she was 5. She wanted to know. Thinking of age-appropriate language, I told her "they are men who fall in love with other men, not women". That was a satisfying answer for her.

Should we really be banned from giving answers about the reality around us? That's unhealthy.

Discussion on age-appropriate level of details and language should be held, instead.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>