06 Apr 2022, 7:44 am

Nope. The entire world needs energy.
And food. And water. And safety.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2022, 11:15 am

I don't really understand all the big science behind it all either, but honestly, I don't feel like I need to. I get the general idea, and that's enough for me when it comes to understanding it. As for doing something about it, I'm just one person without any real chances of doing something big, so I'll just do the little things I can, like taking care of recycling what I can, lessening the amount of meat I eat (might consider giving up red meat at some point), making sure my own trash doesn't end up in nature (and occasionally cleaning up someone else's), taking care of the plants at my parents' farm when I'm there with what little skill I have on the matter etc. And that's about it. Little things that don't mean anything in the big picture, but if everyone takes care of little things like that, it'll start to mean something.

What I hate about climate change -talk are the activists who demand unreasonable sacrifices from regular folk... usually, around here these people are city people who don't really have much experience living outside of the cities and so don't understand that in the countryside it's just not realistic to "live green" the way they do. There is no public transportation in most places and in many of those that do it's poor, so people need cars of their own just for their basic needs, like getting to work and getting groceries.

Honestly, in December I talked with this guy who kept saying that we don't need to produce our own food here in Finland where we need lots of electricity for it 'cause we can buy it from elsewhere. I asked him what about emergencies where all countries watch their own backs first (and the backs of those who they can benefit the most after that), but he said such emergency is very unlikely in today's world.

At the moment, I regret not answering with "Have you ever heard of Putin?"

But then again, I would've probably been accused of some type of discrimination at the time if I did, so guess it's good that I didn't.

kraftiekortie wrote:
It's the acceleration of the "change" that's the problem--more than the presence of the "change" itself.

This sums up nicely as the counter argument for "the climate has always been changing; change is natural!"

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

06 Apr 2022, 2:16 pm

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
I think TexasMoneyMan is playing a character.

No I actually own oil wells I think the Permian has at least fifty to hundred years left my job is to get oil and gas out of the ground and I am a respected Texas oil baron in the oilfield I have drilled numerous oil wells

I am a wind baron. My job is to get wind out of the sky. I am a respected Danish wind baron, I have drilled multiple wind wells in the wind field. There is more wind than oil, and it is cheaper too.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

06 Apr 2022, 2:19 pm

Can I be a nuclear countess?
At least my MS in Physics would be of some use :lol:

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2022, 4:32 pm

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
magz wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
I’ll just agree to disagree but here in Texas the industry won’t run out anytime soon like of course Everyone thought we we would out of oil in the seventies but fracking happened
And to hell with all the parts of the world that are not Texas oil industry? :scratch:

Well I doing my oil pumping not just for Texas the Texas oil industry is in every part of the world but the whole world really needs Texas and the entire Permian basin

I'd rather get oil from you than that war-mongering psychopath. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2022, 4:36 pm

Fireblossom wrote:

What I hate about climate change -talk are the activists who demand unreasonable sacrifices from regular folk... usually, around here these people are city people who don't really have much experience living outside of the cities and so don't understand that in the countryside it's just not realistic to "live green" the way they do.

Agreed. 8)

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2022, 4:46 pm

Pepe wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
magz wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
I’ll just agree to disagree but here in Texas the industry won’t run out anytime soon like of course Everyone thought we we would out of oil in the seventies but fracking happened
And to hell with all the parts of the world that are not Texas oil industry? :scratch:

Well I doing my oil pumping not just for Texas the Texas oil industry is in every part of the world but the whole world really needs Texas and the entire Permian basin

The global economy trades with a lot of countries run by psychopaths.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2022, 4:47 pm

Fireblossom wrote:
I don't really understand all the big science behind it all either, but honestly, I don't feel like I need to. I get the general idea, and that's enough for me when it comes to understanding it. As for doing something about it,

https://www.forbes.com/sites/startswith ... f8c4bd32b1

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2022, 4:49 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
magz wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:

Hoo doesn't know this?
Gawd, I hate big business. :roll:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2022, 4:50 pm

Pepe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
magz wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:

Hoo doesn't know this?
Gawd, I hate big business. :roll:

And for that matter a lot of big business is run by sociopaths

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2022, 4:55 pm

cyberdad wrote:

I believe you mean "psychopaths".
Sociopaths are made through psychological damage and tend not to perform well in the business world.
Psychopaths are born and tend to do very well in the cut-throat business environment.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

06 Apr 2022, 5:49 pm

Pepe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Sociopaths are made through psychological damage and tend not to perform well in the business world.
Psychopaths are born and tend to do very well in the cut-throat business environment.

Pepe, I am sorry to say that you are committing "political correctness" :wink:

The scientific term is "anti social personality disorder". There is no scientific distinction between "psychopaths" and "sociopaths". They are different words for the same thing. Many psychopaths prefer "sociopath" because it is less likely to be confused with "psychotic". "Sociopath" also tends to be preferred by people who think ASPD is acquired rather than innate.

https://www.mind.org.uk/information-sup ... rder-aspd/
https://www.nhs.uk/mental-health/condit ... -disorder/
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-con ... c-20353928

flamingshorts
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Apr 2022, 7:01 pm

Russia is different. Another reason you are told to hate Russia.
5:20 "Political pedophilia".
"The people who did this must go on trial."

Russia On Greta Thunberg

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2022, 7:37 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
Pepe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Pepe, I am sorry to say that you are committing "political correctness" :wink:

The scientific term is "anti social personality disorder". There is no scientific distinction between "psychopaths" and "sociopaths". They are different words for the same thing. Many psychopaths prefer "sociopath" because it is less likely to be confused with "psychotic". "Sociopath" also tends to be preferred by people who think ASPD is acquired rather than innate.

https://www.mind.org.uk/information-sup ... rder-aspd/
https://www.nhs.uk/mental-health/condit ... -disorder/
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-con ... c-20353928

I think Pepe is referring to the old definitions which distinguished between the two based on nature/nurture. But yes, it makes more sense that sociopaths are psychopaths who'se genes have been activated by environmental factors (diathesis stress model). Two sides of the same coin.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2022, 11:25 pm

cyberdad wrote:

I think Pepe is referring to the old definitions which distinguished between the two based on nature/nurture. But yes, it makes more sense that sociopaths are psychopaths who'se genes have been activated by environmental factors (diathesis stress model). Two sides of the same coin.

Children, please.
I don't need to be taught how to suck eggs on this subject. 8O
I knew about this stuff when some were still in the womb. 8)

Quote:
Both types of antisocial personality disorders are thought to be caused by both environmental and genetic factors. However, a growing body of evidence suggests that psychopathic traits are mostly inherited while sociopathic traits are environmental, a byproduct of traumatic childhood experiences. Psychopaths are born and sociopaths are made is a phrase that seems to resonate more and more with psychiatrists.

https://www.zmescience.com/science/diff ... sociopath/

This was simply the first find.
There are plenty more sources on the subject. <yawn> 8)

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2022, 1:45 am

Pepe wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
magz wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:

I hope some of my Texas tea makes it to Australia