Trump accused Germany of becoming ‘totally dependent’ on Rus

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2022, 7:53 pm

Quote:
Trump accused Germany of becoming ‘totally dependent’ on Russian energy at the U.N. The Germans just smirked.
By Rick Noack
September 25, 2018

BERLIN — Out of President Trump’s speech at the U.N. General Assembly on Tuesday, it probably won’t be the script that will be remembered by diplomats but, rather, world leaders' laughter, caught on camera and shared in viral videos.

One of them captured the amused reactions of the German delegation as Trump said: “Germany will become totally dependent on Russian energy if it does not immediately change course. Here in the Western Hemisphere, we are committed to maintaining our independence from the encroachment of expansionist foreign powers.”

German Foreign Minister Heiko Maas could be seen smirking alongside his colleagues.

It wasn’t the first time Trump had lashed out at Germany over its gas imports from Russia.

During a NATO summit in July, he took aim at the Germans for the same reason, specifically singling out a planned 800-mile pipeline beneath the Baltic Sea called Nord Stream 2. “Germany, as far as I’m concerned, is captive to Russia because it’s getting so much of its energy from Russia,” Trump told NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg, also speaking on camera at the time. “We have to talk about the billions and billions of dollars that’s being paid to the country we’re supposed to be protecting you against.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/20 ... t-smirked/

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2022, 9:20 pm

i think texas and america and western friendly nations should supply germanys energy instead of putin german money needs to stop going to russias war machine

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2022, 10:38 pm

I think this has more to do with Germany's support for NATO - and by extension, opposition to Russia - than anything else. Trump had been beating up on Deutschland back when he occupied the White House just for those very reasons.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2022, 12:03 am

Good point.I heard somewhere in Europe natural gas was the equivalent to about 200 to 300 bucks a barrel of crude oil.I think somewhere in Europe or Germany or wherever gas was about 35 bucks a gallon

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2022, 8:38 am

"Trump accuses Germany of becoming 'totally dependent' on Russia"?

That is clearly a case of the pot calling the kettle 'black'.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2022, 4:46 pm

Fnord wrote:
"Trump accuses Germany of becoming 'totally dependent' on Russia"?

That is clearly a case of the pot calling the kettle 'black'.[/color]

"Please explain?"

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2022, 4:53 pm

Germany would be on its knees if pootin turned off the gas tap.
That is why Germany didn't initially send weapons to Ukraine, but did send helmets. :lmao:

Thankfully for Europe, pootin needs the billions of dollars from fossil fuels to fuel his war machine.
A bit of an empty threat, imo. 8)

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2022, 5:16 pm

Pepe wrote:
Germany would be on its knees if pootin turned off the gas tap.
That is why Germany didn't initially send weapons to Ukraine, but did send helmets. :lmao:

Thankfully for Europe, pootin needs the billions of dollars from fossil fuels to fuel his war machine.
A bit of an empty threat, imo. 8)

Well a sudden oil bust could bankrupt Russia like and make the war effort unsustainable for Putin financially so Maybe we need America Canada Saudi Arabia and Texas to pump as much as possible to crash the oil price.Just a thought.I think drilling should be allowed in all possible drilling locations in America....basically everwhere there's oil and gas in the US that could be brought to market for Germany.I am talking about all public lands and offshore and in the Arctic.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2022, 9:27 pm

yep, Germany without Russian natural gas is screwed. Germany with American liquid gas is in a confused state.

So, first: Russia doesn't actually have an awful lot but natural resources. If Russia were ever to become a wealthy democratic state, so the European, the Western hope, actually, it would maybe be like Norway. Well, that didn't happen, but keeping a destroyed country like Russia in the 90s in abject poverty wasn't going to make it into a Western nation either.
and yeah, the increasing tensions over the last decade did slow down pipeline construcions.

but those pipelines would have been necessary for an interim phase while transitioning to renewables.
Well, now the Germans have the worst option: expensive, environmentally catastrophic fracking gas and dependency on the US and their whims.

this is the best thing that could happen to the US, and more than one European leftie accuses the US of refusing compromises in peace-nogotiations for their own profit.
(I personally don't go that far)

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2022, 10:07 pm

shlaifu wrote:
yep, Germany without Russian natural gas is screwed. Germany with American liquid gas is in a confused state.

So, first: Russia doesn't actually have an awful lot but natural resources. If Russia were ever to become a wealthy democratic state, so the European, the Western hope, actually, it would maybe be like Norway. Well, that didn't happen, but keeping a destroyed country like Russia in the 90s in abject poverty wasn't going to make it into a Western nation either.
and yeah, the increasing tensions over the last decade did slow down pipeline construcions.

but those pipelines would have been necessary for an interim phase while transitioning to renewables.
Well, now the Germans have the worst option: expensive, environmentally catastrophic fracking gas and dependency on the US and their whims.

this is the best thing that could happen to the US, and more than one European leftie accuses the US of refusing compromises in peace-nogotiations for their own profit.
(I personally don't go that far)
f
Ya I remember the LNG Plants started being built around Corpus originally to import natural gas from foreign countries but then the Eagle Ford happened and they started getting ready for exports.Fracking is the actually good for the climate because the fracking in West Texas and New Mexico killed the coal industry in West Virginia and oil barons are working on uses for the flare gas.I have flared so much gas in my career buts only because nobody wanted it and nobody would buy it from me.I hope Germany relies on the Energy Basin and the Delaware Basin for a long time.I hope America does not compromise because we have leverage because of Texas .Its mujch better than relying on Russia Iran and Venezuela and Saudi Arabia

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2022, 9:52 am

This only confirms what we already knew about "Trump :heart: Putin".

And since it is from FOX, it must be real, right?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2022, 7:08 pm

Fnord wrote:

And since it is from FOX, it must be real, right?[/color]

Trump's fascination for pootin is very curious. :chin:

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2022, 7:53 pm

Pepe wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Trump sees Putin as his role model in his role as a strongman-in-waiting, and he acknowledges Putin as his benefactor for having helped his campaign along with his troll farms. Then there's always the possibility that that pee tape actually exists.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2022, 10:29 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Trump sees Putin as his role model in his role as a strongman-in-waiting, and he acknowledges Putin as his benefactor for having helped his campaign along with his troll farms. Then there's always the possibility that that pee tape actually exists.

Highly improbably, imo. 8)

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2022, 10:48 pm

Pepe wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Fnord wrote:

But to dismiss it out of hand is to assume Trump is too moral to have sunk so low as to watching two prostitutes pee, while Putin is too upright to have set it up and recorded it.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2022, 12:29 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Fnord wrote:

But to dismiss it out of hand is to assume Trump is too moral to have sunk so low as to watching two prostitutes pee, while Putin is too upright to have set it up and recorded it.

You are missing the point.
That kerfuffle was a Hillary Clinton fake news event. :wink: