Page 1 of 7 [ 102 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2007, 8:30 pm

TheMachine1 wrote:
There is no free will. Free thinking is an illusion your DNA has given you. In the end you will reproduce as DNA tells you to or you will be weeded out. Everything that happens in between is as close to pointless as you can get.

I guess I kinda see your point, but not everything happens because is SUPPOSE to happen, a lot of things happen randomly and a lot of things don't, we have free will at some point, we make decisions, the problem is that we don't have a return point, we cannot turn back with things that are already done, or things that already happened. So free will might be limited in that sense.

Things are not written in stones, but we can assume the possiblity of what is going to happen, but it can change.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2007, 8:43 pm

greenblue wrote:
You don't mean that literally, right?

"Showed" would be a better word.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2007, 8:49 pm

TheMachine1 wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
TheMachine1 wrote:
There is no free will. Free thinking is an illusion your DNA has given you. In the end you will reproduce as DNA tells you to or you will be weeded out. Everything that happens in between is as close to pointless as you can get.

So you're saying your post is pointless?

(my posts) / infinty = point value

That works.

violentcloud
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2007, 8:50 pm

Am I thinking freely if I agree that I am a free thinker under the standards set by someone else? So confusing to the alcohol infused mind. Can someone respond honestly "yes, I am a free thinker" to the original post?

Last edited by violentcloud on 03 Aug 2007, 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jimbogf
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Aug 2007, 8:55 pm

About this whole "free thinking" thing. Everyone is a free thinker to a certain degree, people are individuals.

What I'm going to say here is a version of a bad free thinker.

Thinking you are a 100% "free thinker" leads some people to have a god complex. This person manipulates any subject to their liking, no matter what other people's views are. Free thinkers think they are looking at everything without bias, nope it is a delusion. Their beliefs are majorly influence by arrogance, ignoring other's logic and beliefs because those people are stupidly influenced and biased by emotion, other people are inferior. This person is the ultimate cynic. This person is hated. This person is me, crap, now what.

Quote:
I'm looking for REAL free thinkers, people who don't label themselves ideologically as anything.

If someone considers themself as a "free thinker". Does that mean that they are actually part of an ideology themselves??? :?:

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2007, 9:11 pm

Jimbogf wrote:
What I'm going to say here is a version of a bad free thinker.

Thinking you are a 100% "free thinker" leads some people to have a god complex. This person manipulates any subject to their liking, no matter what other people's views are. Free thinkers think they are looking at everything without bias, nope it is a delusion. Their beliefs are majorly influence by arrogance, ignoring other's logic and beliefs because those people are stupidly influenced and biased by emotion, other people are inferior. This person is the ultimate cynic. This person is hated. This person is me, crap, now what.

lol

for some reason this sounds very familiar to me.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2007, 10:09 pm

snake321 wrote:
let me give you my interpretation of a free thinker
Ok, and we shall analyze.
Quote:
1. Does not follow organized religion
How organized must one's religion be to be an organized religion? This statement seems unclear as I have not heard of a religion that states that people don't have free spiritual development, most of them state that there are a few facts and a lot of unknowns and let the believers work within the framework. Which is why most religions have a theology and philosophies to them.
Quote:
2. Does not blindly agree with the party line (liberal or conservative), but actually questions everything logically from both sides. In other words, no liberals or conservatives, or any political orientation. You don't follow PEOPLE, you follow LOGIC.

How is a lack of political orientation derived from not following the party line? One can freely accept a party, and it really is not so strange as most parties are merely bundles of premises. I follow logic to the best of my ability, I do not follow any party line as no party follows me, but I have a political ideology and orientation, as I believe most people really do at heart.
Quote:
3. Does not blindly follow social norms, and questions even the most unanimously held beliefs among our society according to decency and morality.
Makes sense to some extent, but I don't think that it is possible to question it all, as many things are very deeply rooted into our thinking. Even questioning individuals still get caught in some elements of the framework.
Quote:
4. Does not let blind emotions get in the way of making rational, unbiased decisions. Logic is your referee between emotions and calling things straight down the middle (including straight down the middle for heterosexual white males, which isn't "politically correct", but also for all others of any race, gender, creed, sexual orientation, nationality, political orientation, etc).
Reason doesn't create premises as what "is" is very different from we "ought", this ultimately means that all decisions are based upon premises outside of pure reason. Even the neutral grounds that so many, like myself, try to cling to aren't necessarily so neutral. Even in analysis there is no avoidance of emotion despite the attempt, as much as we try to keep the servant honest, it is a loyal servant to its dishonest patron of emotion.
Quote:
I'm looking for REAL free thinkers, people who don't label themselves ideologically as anything. People with the ability to question and analyze anything and everything to the bare essentials (common since). I am curious how many on here fall into this category right now.

Is the honesty to recognize that one's thoughts fit into a certain category a limitation on freedom? What essentials are bare? If you asked me if I was a free thinker by my own standards I would not be certain, all people are slaves to their premises, their thoughts, and their desires and thus no person is free. I can be described as freer from the norm than usual, but I am either a slave to my accepted masters, and perhaps even my destiny as TheMachine1 states. By the standards put forward though? I am not a free thinker by those, but I don't really care.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2007, 10:36 pm

I think his point is that everyone who questioned his opening post is a free thinker. :D

violentcloud
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2007, 10:39 pm

Ragtime wrote:
I think his point is that everyone who questioned his opening post is a free thinker. :D

Woo, I win even though I've drunk too much! :P

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2007, 10:55 pm

I am free from thinking, I don't have to think anymore, I am finally free!

lindarthebard
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Aug 2007, 12:15 am

I'm going to be honest.

You sound like a pompous ass.
Not only that, but you sound like you're 14 years old and listen to My Chemical Romance on a regular basis.
You probably dress in a lot of black and/or wear tight jeans.
You probably have leopard print on you somewhere.

Now lets pick your statement apart.

snake321 wrote:
let me give you my interpretation of a free thinker

Okay, go ahead.

snake321 wrote:
1. Does not follow organized religion

I follow the Gael-Germanic pagan religion. I'm an animist. It's not as big as the three major world religions, but it's an established religion. Does that make it organised? We have sparse gatherings, not Church meetings, and we don't meet in a building.

I'm going to be liberal on this and say that I don't fall under this as I believe in an 'established' religion.

snake321 wrote:
2. Does not blindly agree with the party line (liberal or conservative), but actually questions everything logically from both sides. In other words, no liberals or conservatives, or any political orientation. You don't follow PEOPLE, you follow LOGIC.

This is called alexithymia and it's a mental disorder. You also make it sound like if you actually agree with a liberal or conservative party, then you're not a free thinker.
(by the way, in case you're one of those as*holes that can't take a joke, the alexithymia thing was a joke, don't kill me)

I consider myself a libertarian, so there's another point against me.

snake321 wrote:
3. Does not blindly follow social norms, and questions even the most unanimously held beliefs among our society according to decency and morality.

Again, what if you agree with them anyway? You make it sound like if you agree with them at all then you're not a 'free thinker'.

I agree with the 'rule of 3'. I don't cause harm to people (unless it's in self defense). I agree with a decent number of social standards.

Chalk up another point against me.

snake321 wrote:
4. Does not let blind emotions get in the way of making rational, unbiased decisions. Logic is your referee between emotions and calling things straight down the middle (including straight down the middle for heterosexual white males, which isn't "politically correct", but also for all others of any race, gender, creed, sexual orientation, nationality, political orientation, etc).

Okay, Spock, if you've ever watched an episode of the original Star Trek you should know that emotion, passion, love, anger, and all of those emotions are what MOTIVATE us to do things. Emotion is our passion, our desire to do anything. Emotion is what drives the philosopher!

I do think things through with a certain Vulcanic logic, but I do have emotion and passion, which is what drives me to love and to write music.

Strike another point against me.

snake321 wrote:
I'm looking for REAL free thinkers, people who don't label themselves ideologically as anything. People with the ability to question and analyze anything and everything to the bare essentials (common since). I am curious how many on here fall into this category right now.

Well, I certainly would consider myself a free thinker, but according to your rules that you established for being a free thinker I'm not.
Maybe I should question your rules for being a free thinker so I can be one of the cool kids like you!

You fail at life, please kill yourself and start over.

Flagg
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2007, 3:14 am

*claps*

My goodness, an amazing flame if I ever saw one!

The only issue was of length.

Remember! Brevity is the soul of wit!

Carry on!

Mitch8817
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2007, 6:27 am

I fit your points, and others who don't disappoint me somewhat. Then again, my expectations of myself and others were always a bit high.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

04 Aug 2007, 6:30 am

Is dreaming of Mitch, Snake Pliskin and myself in a hot tube an example of free thinking. :)

Mitch8817
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2007, 6:54 am

Welcome to the human race.

Johnnie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2007, 7:46 am

greenblue wrote:
Johnnie wrote:
Quote: