What do you think about ethnic prejudices??

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2022, 5:33 am

What do you think about ethnic prejudices such as anti-Semitism, Islamophobia etc?

I have an open mind myself, I'm Polish, I have what Elon Musk Asperger's syndrome, I had a friend who was also not completely normal because he had ADHD :-)

We got carried away at such a camp for children with behavioral problems such as ADHD or autism, etc.

He had his very politically incorrect,

He spoke badly of Jews, that they slander Poles, although, as he himself noticed, Poles were not without fault when it comes to bad behavior towards Jews, he did not like Russians, Ukrainians or Germans, although he spoke favorably of Napoleon Bonaparte, he said that the French may be arrogant and behave as if someone had opened an umbrella in their bottom, but France for most of its existence was the greatest military power only by accident twice received a decent beating from the Germans in 1871 and 1941, but returning to the topic, he said that the Jews themselves provoke these Arabs that he does not question Israel's right to exist, but they took more Earth in the Middle East than the League of Nations and then the United Nations gave them, although he also did not favor Arabs, because when we were in this camp and it was right after that tetristic attack, in this summer camp for madmen, I was usually around July August, it must have been 2002, the last time I was there 2004 when I turned 18 on my part and sides for my parents it was voluntary, although some kids were sent there by Polish family courts to treat anger or smoke pot

He admired the terrorists, but not those from Al-Qa'ida, but such as those from the IRA and people like Nelson Mandela, Michael Collins, but not this astronaut, and that our Piłsudski also dabbled in it

although he admitted himself that he was a homosexualist that he was gay, he had been harassed earlier in his school, but not for gayness because nobody knew it, he trained Judo as part of PE to defend himself, once someone exposed him that he was a fag, a school bully him he tormented him, he confronted him and beat him and at the end he deliberately broke his arm so that he would remember forever not to torment him, for which he was brought before our Polish juvenile court, he was not kicked out of school because according to Polish law he has the right to defend himself but he was convicted by a court for exceeding the limits of self-defense, and deliberately harming another man, which was not a threat to his life, but he did not receive a criminal sanction, only the court sentenced him to stay in a therapeutic camp for adolescents with behavioral problems, he then boasted that other kids in his school, from the younger grades adore him, and from the older grades they respect and belittle the fact that he is a fag, and no one wants to beat him, because it looks bad in the district to I was beaten up by a gay guy, even though here in Poland homosexuals did not have it easy at the turn of the 90s and 00s and still do not have, this friend told me that supposedly such a German Nazi Ernst Röhm, the creator of the SA, was also a fag and although he was far from the Nazis, he likes how the Germans f****d up the Russians, although he feels sorry for the Jews who were murdered by the Nazis

He was right-wing gay

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2022, 8:17 am

pawelk1986 wrote:
What do you think about ethnic prejudices?
They are unjustifiably evil.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2022, 8:30 am

I feel that most people who go around speaking about their "ethnic prejudices" are people I wouldn't like to get to know.

It's obvious what I think about "ethnic prejudices." They're prejudiced! And almost always pretty stupid.

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2022, 1:27 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I feel that most people who go around speaking about their "ethnic prejudices" are people I wouldn't like to get to know.

It's obvious what I think about "ethnic prejudices." They're prejudiced! And almost always pretty stupid.

My buddy, by the way, with Asperger also got into the extreme right, anti-globalists, such a fraction of it, which tolerated gays

He talked about Jews and Muslims, but also Americans, that in these cultures there is circumcision, that this is barbarism, etc., he had a problem with phimosis himself, but he dealt with it pharmacologically, and in principle his parents.
And the Arabs cut out the girl's clitoris

But in our Polish camp for neurodiverse people there was one boy who was of the Jewish religion, he was a Jew, which few followers of this religion said openly stayed in Poland, the latter said that he came from a Jewish family and that one felt a bit silly, this friend who claimed that he is Polish Jewish, although not very adhering to all the principles of Judism, in fact he was one of the first Jews I personally met, he joked that he was circumcised according to the principles of his faith and thus he has no problems with phimosis or recurrent urinary tract infections, etc.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2022, 4:35 pm

They're frustrating.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2022, 8:27 pm

Am all for...racial and ethnic prejudice! :D

Just kidding.

Polish immigrants faced discrimination in the US. And Hitler didnt think much of Slavs (including Poles) either.

So you, a Pole, of all people, should be opposed to all ethnic prejudice.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2022, 9:43 pm

I think it's silly to think that every member of a particular group fits its stereotype 100%, even if the stereotype has any truth in it. I think it's natural to view groups who aren't familiar to us with a degree of suspicion. Better the devils you know than the devils you don't know. Fear of the unknown is probably a useful survival strategy. It's just that having a reasonable fear of a group doesn't mean it's wise to spread malicious ideas about them or to give them a bad time till they bugger off.

temp1234
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2022, 5:59 am

Based on my experience, I do have prejudice against/for people of certain nationalities. For example, 90% of people from a certain country I've met were really nice and I automatically like people from this country, while 90% of the people from a certain country I've met were horrible and I am very wary of people from this country. While I am aware that each individual is different from others regardless of race/nationality etc and I don't judge an individual based on the nationality/race, I believe it is natural that people have prejudice against certain groups of people. However, you have to be aware that you mustn't apply your idea of a certain group of people (stereotype) to an individual and judge that individual based on that stereotype, because doing so is hurtful and evil.

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2022, 6:32 am

A certain city in China has a large number of black businessmen from Africa. Due to differences in economic level and culture, they do not have the "quality" of the average Chinese. Some of them are even illegal stayers.
Also, they seem to be more likely to attract certain women, but not "responsible" for them. This is in complete conflict with the culture of East Asia. This has aroused the dissatisfaction of quite a few Chinese men.
This has led to widespread discrimination against blacks among ordinary Chinese. Although these stay in rhetoric and don't translate into deeds (other than having more zeal to find illegal overstayers).

I absolutely don't approve of them. But I'm not going to go to great lengths to refute these remarks one by one. Unless some remarks go to the extreme/anti-human.
Most Chinese don't have any intersection with any black people. These people will be more "cautious" when they actually meet a black person. They do no actual harm.
So everyone has more pressing things to care about. Correcting an individual's notion doesn't make much sense when the source is objectively present.

We do acceptably/not-bad with regard to the ethnicity/religion of our own citizens. At least that's my personal experience as an ethnic minority.
If these problems dont produce actual victims. More minor problems can (only) be pursued after living standards are higher and addressing the more serious harm-causing discrimination.

Cover your eyes, if you like. It will serve no purpose.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2022, 7:51 pm

They need de-programing

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2022, 7:57 pm

SkinnedWolf wrote:
Also, they seem to be more likely to attract certain women, but not "responsible" for them. This is in complete conflict with the culture of East Asia. This has aroused the dissatisfaction of quite a few Chinese men.

I have watched a number of podcasts from black Americans who live in China, South Korea and Japan. Many of them are professionals and a lot of them are "Weeboos" who are obsessed with anime, karate movies and Asian food and culture. They are quite decent and open minded people.

I imagine many Chinese people's first reaction toward black people is going to be wrong.

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2022, 12:05 am

cyberdad wrote:
I have watched a number of podcasts from black Americans who live in China, South Korea and Japan. Many of them are professionals and a lot of them are "Weeboos" who are obsessed with anime, karate movies and Asian food and culture. They are quite decent and open minded people.

I imagine many Chinese people's first reaction toward black people is going to be wrong.

I also know a lot of black people living in China who should definitely be respected. One of them is already a practicing physician in China.
But as a group(I'm not a fan of crude classification by skin color, but that's what most people see), some of the other individuals are more likely to draw attention. And one of them recently completed a vicious crime against a Chinese female citizen with whom he interacted, which has attracted nationwide attention. Although I suspect that the proportion of vicious crime is not higher than that of Chinese citizens, this has indeed caused concern.

But I would wonder how "wrong" the "first reaction toward" is.
AFAIK, some of the people who have spoken to me about racist remarks against blacks that I cannot accept, when we actually meet black people together, what they actually do is take a few more curious glances.

One of those people I'm describing is my family. She has more pressing things to accomplish and still retains some superstitions. I think arguing with her first about "your misconceptions about some people you'll never get a chance to talk to" would make me seem unhinged. Although I did do it in the past.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2022, 2:38 am

SkinnedWolf wrote:
But I would wonder how "wrong" the "first reaction toward" is.
AFAIK, some of the people who have spoken to me about racist remarks against blacks that I cannot accept, when we actually meet black people together, what they actually do is take a few more curious glances.

Almost all of the black people who post Vlogs/podcasts actually find Asian countries to be much more open to them than America. A couple I saw did hate their experience but these vloggers tend to return home. When they fail it is usually because they weren't able to make enough money to stay.

However, when they arrive for the first time in Korea, China, Japan, Vietnam or Thailand they experience culture shock and aren't used to stares or people asking them what sounds like rude questions or having people touch their hair. But these are just initial experiences, When they stay longer they all seem to have an enriching experience,

That was certainly the case for me (As an Australian) living in Malaysia for 3 years. After a while I made many friends among the locals but if I judged based on my first few weeks it would be easy for me to claim Malaysians aren't friendly (when infact they are much more friendly than Australians).

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2022, 2:50 am

cyberdad wrote:
However, when they arrive for the first time in Korea, China, Japan, Vietnam or Thailand they experience culture shock and aren't used to stares or people asking them what sounds like rude questions or having people touch their hair. But these are just initial experiences, When they stay longer they all seem to have an enriching experience.

"stares and questions" are often not racist against a certain race. Although maybe East Asian countries have more alienation from black people.
The countries you listed are highly homogenized, so the residents here rarely have the opportunity to see "different" people. This often leads to excessive curiosity, and the culture here does not place so much emphasis on individualism and a sense of boundaries.
These motives are mostly not malicious. At least as far as I am familiar, East Asian culture has a tradition of "preferring guests".
I've been through something similar on certain occasions where my minority identity has been emphasized. Because they were surprised that I didn't fit the stereotype of my nation. I would feel uncomfortable, but I don't take that as an insult.
A lot of misunderstandings come from just ignorance.

cyberdad wrote:
Almost all of the black people who post Vlogs/podcasts actually find Asian countries to be much more open to them than America.

And, ahem, those Chinese who have a huge prejudice against the racial identity of black people are generally just repeating opinions and "evidence" from racists in the United States.
Because other than the citizens of that city with a black community, most of them don't actually have samples to study. So what is known about blacks in the country comes only from the news, and the content of the news is often very "absorbing".
What really let the vast majority of Chinese "know" black people is the information from the United States.
My family's prejudice against black people actually came from her experience of being a fanatical lover of Western, especially American, political ideology.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2022, 3:15 am

SkinnedWolf wrote:
My family's prejudice against black people actually came from her experience of being a fanatical lover of Western, especially American, political ideology.

This perfectly is the reason why western media is responsible for the negative view of black people. When professional black people come to China the general consensus is that local people accommodate them once they get to know them.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2022, 3:18 am

SkinnedWolf wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
However, when they arrive for the first time in Korea, China, Japan, Vietnam or Thailand they experience culture shock and aren't used to stares or people asking them what sounds like rude questions or having people touch their hair. But these are just initial experiences, When they stay longer they all seem to have an enriching experience.

"stares and questions" are often not racist against a certain race. Although maybe East Asian countries have more alienation from black people.
The countries you listed are highly homogenized, so the residents here rarely have the opportunity to see "different" people. This often leads to excessive curiosity, and the culture here does not place so much emphasis on individualism and a sense of boundaries.
These motives are mostly not malicious. At least as far as I am familiar, East Asian culture has a tradition of "preferring guests".
I've been through something similar on certain occasions where my minority identity has been emphasized. Because they were surprised that I didn't fit the stereotype of my nation. I would feel uncomfortable, but I don't take that as an insult.
A lot of misunderstandings come from just ignorance.

cyberdad wrote:
Almost all of the black people who post Vlogs/podcasts actually find Asian countries to be much more open to them than America.

And, ahem, those Chinese who have a huge prejudice against the racial identity of black people are really just repeating opinions and "evidence" from the United States.
Because other than the citizens of that city with a black community, most of them don't actually have samples to study. So what is known about blacks in the country comes only from the news, and the content of the news is often very "absorbing".

Yes. Its the novelty. Like how in the 1930s American hillbillies in remote areas would "still point at airplanes".

In a country that never had overseas colonies in Africa (as did the UK, France, Portugal, Belgium), and wasnt on the importing end of the cross Atlantic African slave trade (the Americas) you just dont see many Black folks even today. Even Whites are few and far between relative to the large populations of east Asian countries. Blacks are even more of novelty. Though as the pace of globalization picks up even rural Chinese in the hinterlands may get used to seeing folks of exotic races in their midsts.